England v USA

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: England v USA

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:40 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:50 pm
Just seen a tweet saying

I'm not saying it was a bad game, but it was probably the worst thing America and England have ever done in the middle east.
I think my favourite tweet I've seen on it was this

"Imagine watching that sober and in a desert"
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Stayingup

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:02 am

Lucky England

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 am

Having had time to reflect on last night the few positives for England are.

Point pretty much secures qualification.
Clean sheet and many were critical of the defence after the Iran game so that has to be regarded as a good place for the defence to start building up confidence.
And as poor as England were last night we could still have nicked a win, though whether we'd have deserved the victory o questionable.
And if there was any complacency following the 6-2 win in our opening game, last night should serve as a sharp reminder that England are far from the finished article on the international stage.
Finally if we are going to throw one in last night was the ideal time to do it, not in the Wales game or even worse in the KO stages when there's no second chances to correct the mistakes.
Plenty for Gareth and the coachers to work on and improve, however this group showed in the Euro's they can respond to adversity, so down to them to prove all the doubters wrong as the tournament reaches the business end.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:49 am

Bit like the Hudders game followed by Blackpool.....

Thought we were poor in 1st half and seemingly looking to play a slow tempo, as I often think that they are, to conserve energy too much and lacklustre than taking the gam forward aggressively. Much better after 2nd hald subs, USA had no real threat after that.

Iran a much better side than 1st game, USA a good, developing side who will compete strongly in 4 years on home soil. Wales look a bit crap but we'll see Tue night, England can play a lot better, but this has happened in tournaments for the last 50 years..

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:56 am

Just reading through this after being out last night and missing most of the game. The overreaction to a group stage game is mental. When KRBFC seems to be the most sensible, level headed one on a thread it's a bit worrying.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:02 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:56 am
Just reading through this after being out last night and missing most of the game. The overreaction to a group stage game is mental. When KRBFC seems to be the most sensible, level headed one on a thread it's a bit worrying.
I see lots of people judging the game on its own merits - that's all - and describing a poor performance in the same way Neville, Wright Keane and the media at large did.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 am

Plenty for Gareth and the coachers to work on and improve, however this group showed in the Euro's they can respond to adversity, so down to them to prove all the doubters wrong as the tournament reaches the business end.
Problem is, it's 2 years on, and we haven't moved forward.
Forget the result, it's about the performance, we could have played well and got beat, and just put it down to bad luck. That non performance, again, isn't good enough. With the talent at Southgates disposal it's embarrassing.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:56 am
But you didn’t watch the game. 😂 Honestly, it was horrendous!
Hopefully, it was just a one off and I do appreciate that we did similar in the Euros but after the garbage performances of the past 6 months……..well, let’s see what happens next.

The things that concern me the most was our total lack of energy along with our inability to string basic passes together especially in their half. Also, yet again, Southgate seems to lack the conviction, belief or ability to change players/tactics to affect the game. This would only have happened if we had conceded as per usual when really he could have made changes even as early as half time because we were that bad! Instead, he brings on Horrendouson, and our most talented player Foden doesn’t even get a look in! Just bizarre.

To equal the argument somewhat, I can’t fault our efforts at the last 2 tournaments and the way Southgate has built a togetherness amongst the squad. But FFS, even a blind man could see that Mount was awful last night and therefore Foden should have come on in his place. Mount played the full 90 🤣

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:25 am

According to Southgate it 'wasn't the right match for Phil to come into', basically criticising his off the ball work. I find that absolutely bizarre, given Pep's teams work harder off the ball than every other team in the PL. But it also sums up his thought process, rather than it being 'we need someone to play between the lines with some craft to open them up', it's the opposite. I think we got the result he set out to achieve in the end.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:31 am

Crap performance, probably lucky to get a draw although I suspect we could have gone up a gear if required. Southgate plots his way through the group stage and after a big opening game win it seems he prioritised not losing above winning. That said, he shouldn’t take responsibility for most of his players underperforming.

No biggy, the USA were a good side and we’re going through to the knockout stages where we will of course need to play a lot better.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:32 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 am
Problem is, it's 2 years on, and we haven't moved forward.
Forget the result, it's about the performance, we could have played well and got beat, and just put it down to bad luck. That non performance, again, isn't good enough. With the talent at Southgates disposal it's embarrassing.
I'm not disagreeing England were poor, and the lack of legs is a real worry, but some credit has to go to the US, who clearly had a strategy and a way of playing which works for them, what really concerns me is just how easily we allowed them to control the middle of the park, although this did improve slightly when the subs came on, albeit they were made much too late in my view.

The real issue is last night wasn't a one-off as England have been poor ever since the Euro's, and yet again we lacked a goal scoring threat, which given the talent he has available simply isn't good enough, although the US are no mugs whatever some posters might think about them.

Whatever happens during the rest of this tournament I can't help feeling Southgate has reached his limits as the England manager, and a change is needed, though who that would be isn't a question I have an easy answer to.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:31 pm

FB_IMG_1669476500168.jpg
FB_IMG_1669476500168.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 421 times
:roll:

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1145 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 pm

From a USA angle. A point was of no use whatsoever to them. Now they have a tough game v Iran which they must win. Seemed to me that they were more intent on remaining undefeated v England in World Cups !!
Let’s go Iran lol

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1145 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Conversation with American Soccer ! Fan this morning

Him. Hey we got a match against you guys
Me. No you already had the match
Him. Yes but we got a match 0-0
Me. No it was a draw 0-0
Him. So it was a tie ?