O\T roadworks/ temporary traffic lights

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
giveusaB
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Re: O\T roadworks/ temporary traffic lights

Post by giveusaB » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm
Just to play devil's advocate here. The town is a dump, there's a reason it has the cheapest housing in Britain. You could argue that it needs this level of renovation to try and attract people.

Also if it means there are much better and safer bike lanes around the town then I'm all for it. We need to reduce the reliance on cars and its hard to do that without huge disruption unfortunately.
Nobody is adverse to change and improvement. It’s the constant popping up of roadworks and at the moment, it is that bad that every alternate route has one, making it extremely difficult to get anywhere in the town at peak times.
This user liked this post: COBBLE

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:39 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm
Nobody is adverse to change and improvement. It’s the constant popping up of roadworks and at the moment, it is that bad that every alternate route has one, making it extremely difficult to get anywhere in the town at peak times.
I think some are against improvements if it hinders them tbh which is a wider societal issue.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm

So the widening of the road at the junction of Liverpool Road/Rossendale Road/Accrington Road took ages, it had a new surface laid from the Crematorium to the new 'improved' junction.

That is now being dug up less than two years later to probably become a pothole infested mess.

Fantastic.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm

giveusaB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm
The civic quarter masterplan:
https://burnley.gov.uk/civic-quarter-pl ... -your-say/
"The masterplan, which is being drawn up by Lancashire County Council"

FFS

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:06 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:39 pm
I think some are against improvements if it hinders them tbh which is a wider societal issue.
Have you tried navigating your way around the town and surrounding areas recently? Most would have no issues if short term but it’s not.

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:15 pm

Why not finish one job before starting another one , use all the available labour and plant to finish in the shortest possible time. I went past the junction at Rossendale Rd yesterday around 9.45 there was one guy working and another watching. Hopefully more resources will be made available soon.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:06 pm
Have you tried navigating your way around the town and surrounding areas recently? Most would have no issues if short term but it’s not.
Yes it's crap. But that doesn't mean it can't be beneficial in the long term, which is more important.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:23 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm
Yes it's crap. But that doesn't mean it can't be beneficial in the long term, which is more important.
Not if it's affecting businesses directly who may be already struggling or the town as a whole which has probably seen people going elsewhere instead of spending money in the town.

The roadworks have been causing havoc since 2019 when the Junction 9 works started, it's beyond a joke now.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:23 pm
Not if it's affecting businesses directly who may be already struggling or the town as a whole which has probably seen people going elsewhere instead of spending money in the town.

The roadworks have been causing havoc since 2019 when the Junction 9 works started, it's beyond a joke now.
Again it's hard to comment on that really until we know what the final result will be. It depends if the pro's outweighs the cons, which if its been well planned they should do.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 pm
Again it's hard to comment on that really until we know what the final result will be. It depends if the pro's outweighs the cons, which if its been well planned they should do.
The link above talks of more disruption to the town centre, it's alright have more pedestrian friendly areas in the town if there are shops left for them to visit.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:42 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm
The link above talks of more disruption to the town centre, it's alright have more pedestrian friendly areas in the town if there are shops left for them to visit.
Of course, or looking it alternatively, a new look, forward thinking town could attract more shops and investment. We need to become a viable alternative to Manchester living.
Rawtenstall is prospering, there's no reason Burnley can't but it needs adventurous thinking and plans.

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:12 am

I have issues with the ongoing town to turf and proposed civic quarter proposal. Firstly why are they consulting on a proposal that has not had any input from the people, I think they should take a step back and first ask people what issues in Burnley they think are a priority be it housing, crime , potholes etc and then come up with ideas to address those. Instead as per town to turf it was a done deal before they even consulted the public as I suspect this latest one is .
I see all these schemes as money chasing something to spend it on , the government dangles a carrot of £xm to help its own agenda and in a desperate bid to keep its red wall mp,s but says it’s got to be spent quickly and only on a list of things it wants it spent on. The council doesn’t want to say no so finds something that’s not well thought through or needed such as town to turf to spend it on as it’s not their money. Everyone ignores the fact it’s taxpayers money that could have been better spent elsewhere.
Once completed the council’s, Burnley and LCC won’t have the money to maintain the expensive paving and street furniture, the new paving outside the park view is already stained black. Putting trees into the pavement as per the CGI never ends well. If you want to attract people who can’t afford more expensive parts of Manchester but work there increase the train service to there and Leeds to half hourly . The easy commute into Manchester and Leeds is what’s helped hebden and now Tod improve
These 2 users liked this post: atlantalad COBBLE

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:53 am

Roger1960 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:12 am
I have issues with the ongoing town to turf and proposed civic quarter proposal. Firstly why are they consulting on a proposal that has not had any input from the people, I think they should take a step back and first ask people what issues in Burnley they think are a priority be it housing, crime , potholes etc and then come up with ideas to address those. Instead as per town to turf it was a done deal before they even consulted the public as I suspect this latest one is .
I see all these schemes as money chasing something to spend it on , the government dangles a carrot of £xm to help its own agenda and in a desperate bid to keep its red wall mp,s but says it’s got to be spent quickly and only on a list of things it wants it spent on. The council doesn’t want to say no so finds something that’s not well thought through or needed such as town to turf to spend it on as it’s not their money. Everyone ignores the fact it’s taxpayers money that could have been better spent elsewhere.
Once completed the council’s, Burnley and LCC won’t have the money to maintain the expensive paving and street furniture, the new paving outside the park view is already stained black. Putting trees into the pavement as per the CGI never ends well. If you want to attract people who can’t afford more expensive parts of Manchester but work there increase the train service to there and Leeds to half hourly . The easy commute into Manchester and Leeds is what’s helped hebden and now Tod improve
The introduction of further train services isn't really their decision. They did well to get the tod curve so commuting via train is now much easier. Also Rawtenstall has improved no end without amy train services at all.
They should get that train line reinstated before we talk about extra services for Burnley.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 pm

Roger1960 wrote:
Good points.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm

It wouldn't be so bad if those who are in charge of the roads communicate what's going on.
There's no deadline for completion - the TTT project for example. Works just pop up unexpectedly without any notification or signs going up to warn people beforehand.
There's no coordination between the utility companies like the Gas pipes being replaced in Padiham on the main road. These just seem to appear out of the blue. There's no priority to finish the work. These companies don't seem to care how much disruption they cause or for how long.
And seemingly there's no one in overall charge of the work to complain to.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:36 pm

The big problem I have with utility companies is the poor standard of their reinstatement work. I'm talking about their permanent reinstatement work, not the temporary cold lay tarmac.

In the past, local authorities used to inspect the reinstatement work on our roads and pavements. If it was poor or failing, they would get utility companies to sort it out ASAP or face legal action. Does this still happen?

Myk
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Myk » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:36 pm
The big problem I have with utility companies is the poor standard of their reinstatement work. I'm talking about their permanent reinstatement work, not the temporary cold lay tarmac.

In the past, local authorities used to inspect the reinstatement work on our roads and pavements. If it was poor or failing, they would get utility companies to sort it out ASAP or face legal action. Does this still happen?
Yeah it does. Councils contact them and usually they have a set number of days to fix any reinstatements

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 pm

Myk wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 pm
Yeah it does. Councils contact them and usually they have a set number of days to fix any reinstatements
Do those ‘set’ days fall on the 29 February each year by any chance?

Myk
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Myk » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

atlantalad wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 pm
Do those ‘set’ days fall on the 29 February each year by any chance?
At a guess I’d say it’s civils/communication companies getting work from councils to use up all the excess budget for the tax year so they can max it out to try and get more money in next cycle etc.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

Roger1960 wrote:
My memory says that they did ask Burnley residents what they wanted before unveiling the Turf to Town project. Although I assume they knew what they had planned beforehand because I doubt many put this plan forward.

Re-reading i think we are saying the same thing!

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Myk wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 pm
Cheers for that, but I don't think it's working as it should. In the past, I've reported shoddy and failed reinstatement, including broken and sunken flags in the pavement, and nothing has been done.

Years ago, they would have been relaid, and the broken ones replaced within days of the issue being reported. Then you see much bigger projects where contractors renew large sections of their network in our main roads. Months later and their reinstatement is littered with potholes, and nothing is done until a long time has passed, and public money becomes available for repairing all the potholes along that section of road, including the ones caused by the utility company.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

So long as they wait for the Town 2 Turf to be finished before starting on Manchester Road then I'm absolutely fine with it.

You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs - these things involve short-term disruption for the long-term good.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Roadworks and two way lights half way down Brunshaw Road now, Burnley for vehicles at the moment is a joke, great for walking though.

giveusaB
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by giveusaB » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Overnight road closures in April outside where the cinema used to be on Manchester Road.

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/949975/ttro-02.pdf

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Coincidentally I got an email today from Burnley council asking for opinions on how the 'Town Board' should spend £20m over the next 10 years. Interesting to see what comes out of it

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

A proper road sweeper, you know, like with an actual brush and shovel, in every ward. There's not much point in tarting the place up if it still looks like a litter-strewn ghetto.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

Even with the usual end of financial year spend, there does seem to be an extraordinary amount of roadworks.
The cynic in me is suggesting that there will be a June election.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

I don't think there's much mileage in it, unless the local MP fancies doing election photo ops in front of road barriers and gridlocked traffic.

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 pm

“I don't think there's much mileage in it, unless the local MP fancies doing election photo ops in front of road barriers and gridlocked traffic.”
It is funny how our glorious MP has stopped claiming credit for the levelling up money used to pay for T2T since it turned into such a total sh*t show

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:55 am

My nomination for the biggest mess and collection of holes is at the cross roads coming down from Blessed Trinity by the fire station. How the Council
can deploy dozens of workers throughout the town on vanity projects and long term infrastructure and not address this immediately dangerous abomination is beyond me.
This user liked this post: NorthIsCool

Gerry Hattrick
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by Gerry Hattrick » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:38 pm

Not really roadworks, nowt happened since they were put there months ago, but anyone know what the two rows of cones are there for on Tod Rd above Rock Lane, and has and has anyone EVER seen anyone working there?
Been there so long there's enough muck between 'en you could plant flowers!

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:53 pm

Gerry Hattrick wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:38 pm
Not really roadworks, nowt happened since they were put there months ago, but anyone know what the two rows of cones are there for on Tod Rd above Rock Lane, and has and has anyone EVER seen anyone working there?
Been there so long there's enough muck between 'en you could plant flowers!
The road between the cones is full of ruts, grooves and pot holes making overtaking dangerous. That's what you get from spraying tar and chippings instead of relaying the road properly.
This user liked this post: Gerry Hattrick