VK on the referee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Prefeot
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Re: VK on the referee

Post by Prefeot » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:17 pm
Some utter guff being spouted here. Watford did a job on us by and large and the ref was fine. We'd have helped ourselves by not going down with theatrics.

As for that Barnes yellow - we've been told how much of a menace he is for nipping, standing on feet etc for almost a decade. Barnes had two hands on their lads torso before he went down. Likely Ash did create that situation, after which Barnes was clearly looking to give the defender and ref a quandry by going to ground at will. It almost worked but with the quality in this team i'd sooner watch us try and play football rather than fall over.

The best shout for a pen looked to be the one on Tella before all that but the ongoing nonsence meant we didn't even see a replay of that particular incident.
Watford “did a job on us” because the ref did not control the game leading to the shamozzle by both teams .. he was very inconsistent (to put it politely)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5664 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:26 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:45 pm
You dont think they were up for it, those first 10 minutes?
Reckon they started to really get on his back around 20 mins. ( but i could be wrong as the beer was good ) :D
difficult to generate an atmosphere when a team the size of Watford brought a bus load - the perceived bad decisions by the ref deffo galvanized the crowd. More importantly, glad you enjoyed your beer !
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:30 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:23 pm
But the ref then missed their player dragging ours to the floor on three separate occasions while we waited for the corner to be taken. Total lack of consistency but that seems to the the norm at this level.
He held Barnes on the next corner after Barnes had clearly pushed him. The one after that Barnes practically front flipped himself to make it look like he was thrown (Stevie Wonder wasn't fooled as easily as many biased Clarets). The general pattern contradicts your claim. Red was decent enough on a tough night.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:33 pm

The ref lost control after about 3 minutes. Early on there was a push on one of our players...50/50, ref didn't give it.

We called it straight away...is he going to be consistent..?

A minute later the same thing happened the other way round and he did give it.

That was the start of the end of any control he had of the game.
These 4 users liked this post: Prefeot Rick_Muller Raconteur whiffa

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7574 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:34 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:26 pm
difficult to generate an atmosphere when a team the size of Watford brought a bus load - the perceived bad decisions by the ref deffo galvanized the crowd. More importantly, glad you enjoyed your beer !
Heck.
Was the bus full ?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:38 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:30 pm
He held Barnes on the next corner after Barnes had clearly pushed him. The one after that Barnes practically front flipped himself to make it look like he was thrown (Stevie Wonder wasn't fooled as easily as many biased Clarets). The general pattern contradicts your claim. Red was decent enough on a tough night.
He then shoved Al-Dakhil in the face on the third go which amazingly was missed by the ref and linesman.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:41 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:38 pm
He then shoved Al-Dakhil in the face on the third go which amazingly was missed by the ref and linesman.
I'd suggest the claret tint in your specs is strong. Don't lose that, but don't lose grasp of reality either. In isolation none of those are anything other than a bit of a hopeful claim. In a set of three they're quite embarrassibg for us frankly.
Last edited by what_no_pies on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1240 times

Post by Spike » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:43 pm

Not just the ref. All four officials clearly wanted to be home on Valentines. The fourth official let Bilic stray on the pitch at will and the technical area lines were invisible to him.
We have had better games but the unbeaten run continues

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 am

The problem with this ref was firstly, like so many other refs, he was determined to give as many free kicks as he could. If you stop play for every potential foul, then you can't get a controversial goal from it. There were very few times that a potential free kick wasn't given. Most fo the kicks in the first 20 minutes went to Watford which go the crowd's backs up.

As 2 Bee Holed pointed out, 85% of what the players do is play-acting. Which logically means that only 15% of the falling over should be given as a free kick - but refs persist in giving 85%. Until the powers that be accept that (1) players cheat, and (2) they should not be rewarded for cheating, then the play acting will continue.

As for the corner shenanigans, the ref again made a rod for his own back by booking Barnes. There is no doubt that Barnes touched their man, but if you're going to give a yellow card for touching someone before a corner comes in, there are going to be some very short-sided games. The ref (who certainly couldn't see though the approx 10 players including Barnes) to see what had happened, gave the booking on the basis of the defender's reaction. And once the players know that the ref is going to dish out unfair bookings purely based on the quality of the dive, then they are going to try bigger and better dives. Refs who give decisions that they haven't seen, based on players' reactions, are making trouble for themselves.

Ultimately it's down to the FA and Leagues. As long as they give tacit and even explicit assent to this sort of behaviour, then this sort of behaviour will carry on. If the FA and Leagues didn't want play acting, they would take action over it. They don't take action, which means they are happy for it to continue.
These 3 users liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue burnleymik SussexDon1inIreland

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:29 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 am
The problem with this ref was firstly, like so many other refs, he was determined to give as many free kicks as he could. If you stop play for every potential foul, then you can't get a controversial goal from it. There were very few times that a potential free kick wasn't given. Most fo the kicks in the first 20 minutes went to Watford which go the crowd's backs up.

As 2 Bee Holed pointed out, 85% of what the players do is play-acting. Which logically means that only 15% of the falling over should be given as a free kick - but refs persist in giving 85%. Until the powers that be accept that (1) players cheat, and (2) they should not be rewarded for cheating, then the play acting will continue.

As for the corner shenanigans, the ref again made a rod for his own back by booking Barnes. There is no doubt that Barnes touched their man, but if you're going to give a yellow card for touching someone before a corner comes in, there are going to be some very short-sided games. The ref (who certainly couldn't see though the approx 10 players including Barnes) to see what had happened, gave the booking on the basis of the defender's reaction. And once the players know that the ref is going to dish out unfair bookings purely based on the quality of the dive, then they are going to try bigger and better dives. Refs who give decisions that they haven't seen, based on players' reactions, are making trouble for themselves.

Ultimately it's down to the FA and Leagues. As long as they give tacit and even explicit assent to this sort of behaviour, then this sort of behaviour will carry on. If the FA and Leagues didn't want play acting, they would take action over it. They don't take action, which means they are happy for it to continue.
What I dont understand

I think I have heard lots of pundits say you cannot give a penalty as the ball is not in play.

But you can yellow card a player when the balls not in play.

If that’s correct, how is that fair

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:51 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:29 am
What I dont understand

I think I have heard lots of pundits say you cannot give a penalty as the ball is not in play.

But you can yellow card a player when the balls not in play.

If that’s correct, how is that fair
It's certainly correct. When the ball is dead, it's dead and nothing any player can do can change its status.

I presume you wouldn't want decapitation to be completely unpunished just because the corner hadn't been taken, so I suppose the alternative is that a penalty can be given whether the ball is dead or not. It's a valid viewpoint - in rugby league, for example, if the ref gives a decision but then someone does something worse while the ball is in play, then he can upgrade it to a penalty - or even reverse it and give a penalty to the other team.

You aren't going to persuade any ref to do that at a corner, though!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:16 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:51 am
It's certainly correct. When the ball is dead, it's dead and nothing any player can do can change its status.

I presume you wouldn't want decapitation to be completely unpunished just because the corner hadn't been taken, so I suppose the alternative is that a penalty can be given whether the ball is dead or not. It's a valid viewpoint - in rugby league, for example, if the ref gives a decision but then someone does something worse while the ball is in play, then he can upgrade it to a penalty - or even reverse it and give a penalty to the other team.

You aren't going to persuade any ref to do that at a corner, though!
Barnes got booked when the ball was not in play.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:16 am
Barnes got booked when the ball was not in play.
Yes. That was your original point that I was answering. It is correct that Barnes could be booked for an offence in the penalty area, but the ball (being dead and waiting for a corner) remains dead, and the corner is still a corner. Barnes could have detached the crossbar and laid about him leaving players in heaps all over the penalty area, but it would still be a corner when the bodies had been cleared away.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:29 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 am
Yes. That was your original point that I was answering. It is correct that Barnes could be booked for an offence in the penalty area, but the ball (being dead and waiting for a corner) remains dead, and the corner is still a corner. Barnes could have detached the crossbar and laid about him leaving players in heaps all over the penalty area, but it would still be a corner when the bodies had been cleared away.
But if the defender kills Barnes you’re saying a penalty cannot be given.

Seems unfair in the rules.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:35 am

I watched on tv. Lots of confusion at his decisions. The Brownhill booking, commentators had know idea where there was a foul, let alone a yellow. One live ticker I saw said it was for handball? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The barnes booking, yes he touched the player, but lighter than anything you see all the time. Watford player chucked himself on the floor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A couple of others. The Watford players got in between Burnley player and ball, they just slowed right down, waited for any slight contact, and went down. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ref fell for everyone that Watford played for. But then he missed several thst were blatant fouls by both sides. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:48 am

burnleymik wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Also, I would love to know how the ref, from well outside the penalty area, can see Barnes supposedly nip the lad, yet didn't see the same lad backhand Al-Dakil in the face. He was at it at every corner and Barnes got dragged into it, but he (the Watford lad) should have at least have a yellow card tonight.
I thought Al-Dakil was play acting as on TV I didn't see any hit on the face. Tella too was getting silly but we know he does that sometimes. Barnes of course was our ringleader.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 am

Still don’t understand what the ref booked roberts for early on, watched it back and still don’t see him doing anything wrong.

Ref so inconsistent, didn’t give Maatsen a foul for a nudge in the back but soon as their cb fell over 5 min after in the same position he gave a foul

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:54 am

It was poor that Barnes (whose been exemplary in avoiding that part of this game in his good spell) and then most of the rest of the team couldn't work out that Watford were doing all the stuff to knock us off our stride

It was a lesson that I hope has been learnt, as we shouldn't react to it

Saying that, the ref did allow it to go on, and thats not ideal either

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:03 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 am

This.

The ref seemingly hadn’t got the memo about letting more physical contact go. Once Watford realised that the ref would give a foul for the slightest touch they made the most of it and it made the game very bitty. Doughty failed to exert any control throughout the game which made the farcical situation the the Watford penalty area more likely. He did a lot of instructing of players, to move the ball back, to get on with the game, etc but the players knew there’d be no come back if they ignored him so they did. I seem to remember a lack of control in the Rotherham match he reffed as well so it came as no surprise.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller SussexDon1inIreland

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:10 am

I was at the game and thought the referee was poor. Lost control. Gave fouls for next to nothing, mainly against us, and missed a couple of big calls.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:15 am

The ref was absolutely fine. We lost our heads snd got drawn into the niggling battle that Watford wanted in the second half.

If he'd let more go we'd be complaining he had allowed us to be bullied.

No ref sees everything or gets everything right but in a ref both sides made difficult to referee, he did fine.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2922 times

Post by burnleymik » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:09 pm

Hipper wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:48 am
I thought Al-Dakil was play acting as on TV I didn't see any hit on the face. Tella too was getting silly but we know he does that sometimes. Barnes of course was our ringleader.
His hand was definitely up to Dakhil's face, how much contact there was I am not sure, but his hand didn't need to be up there at all. The fact he booked Barnes for an incident there is no way he could have seen and then didn't reciprocate when this guy is throwing his arms about off the ball, is where my issue lies.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1070 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:20 pm

Roberts left his position at right back to go up close and personal with the ref who was conducting affairs around the ball waiting for Watford to take their free-kick. That's when the ref showed Roberts the yellow card. I can only assume Roberts was therefore carded for dissent.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:09 pm
His hand was definitely up to Dakhil's face, how much contact there was I am not sure, but his hand didn't need to be up there at all. The fact he booked Barnes for an incident there is no way he could have seen and then didn't reciprocate when this guy is throwing his arms about off the ball, is where my issue lies.
What if, because of everything going on in the goalmouth, he didn't see it?

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:53 pm

The problem with Doughty is that he sets his stall out to let everything flow. It wasn’t just last night, it was the same at home to Rotherham when he took an inexplicable 67 minutes to award us our first free kick.

In theory a ref wanting the game to flow is great, but only if you’ve got two sides wanting it to. If not, you end up with players taking the **** and the ref doing nothing about it.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 pm

Interesting thing is, there's plenty of comments saying the opposite AG - he made a rod for his own back by giving "cheap" free kicks early. Both can't be true- I thought more like you but actually I thought he got the balance about right.

Ultimately, the ref can only ref what's in front of him. If the players want to ruin the flow of the game, that's.not his fault.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2922 times

Post by burnleymik » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:01 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm
What if, because of everything going on in the goalmouth, he didn't see it?
How does he see Barnes supposedly nip Hoedt? No way he possibly could have done, but still gave Barnes a yellow. The inconsistency is my issue.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 pm
Interesting thing is, there's plenty of comments saying the opposite AG - he made a rod for his own back by giving "cheap" free kicks early. Both can't be true- I thought more like you but actually I thought he got the balance about right.

Ultimately, the ref can only ref what's in front of him. If the players want to ruin the flow of the game, that's.not his fault.
For me he has a tendency to let too much go. All that does is a) rile the crowd and b) (more importantly) rile the players on the receiving end, who feel they have to take matters into their own hands. Then you end up with a situation like last night when 20-odd minutes is spent just talking to players and sorting out nonsense - all of which resulted in very little in the way of free kicks or yellow cards. He basically lost control.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32553 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 am
Still don’t understand what the ref booked roberts for early on, watched it back and still don’t see him doing anything wrong.

Ref so inconsistent, didn’t give Maatsen a foul for a nudge in the back but soon as their cb fell over 5 min after in the same position he gave a foul
Booked Roberts for handball which, having seen it back, I still find astonishing.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:10 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 pm

There’s no better evidence of his extreme approach than the Rotherham game. We’re a skilful, attacking side who dominate possession and yet we didn’t get a free kick for the first 2/3rds of the game. That just doesn’t stack up.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:13 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:10 pm
There’s no better evidence of his extreme approach than the Rotherham game. We’re a skilful, attacking side who dominate possession and yet we didn’t get a free kick for the first 2/3rds of the game. That just doesn’t stack up.
Doughty was downright shocking against Rotherham; last night, at times I don't think he knew what was going on.

He did eventually give us four free kicks against Rotherham who received four yellow cards (one becoming a red).

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 pm
Booked Roberts for handball which, having seen it back, I still find astonishing.
Frightening decision, looked like a ref who had been told he’s being watched for potential promotion to the prem and was trying to hard to be controlling

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm

As I said on the other thread, if people genuinely believe that performance was 'fine' it shows how low standards are.

Seeing less and less shocking referees mainly because they're all so bad it's more of a shock when we get a good one.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm
As I said on the other thread, if people genuinely believe that performance was 'fine' it shows how low standards are.

Seeing less and less shocking referees mainly because they're all so bad it's more of a shock when we get a good one.
Watching it on TV is very different and there were a lot of decisions that clearly upset the crowd that he got right. But he was never in control of then game, was never consistent and was a major contribution to the mess that ensured.

I'll agree totally with you that anyone thinking that was fine has very low standards of refereeing.
This user liked this post: quoonbeatz

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:20 pm
Roberts left his position at right back to go up close and personal with the ref who was conducting affairs around the ball waiting for Watford to take their free-kick. That's when the ref showed Roberts the yellow card. I can only assume Roberts was therefore carded for dissent.
That’s not true, the ref had to call roberts over from right back, the ref felt like he saw something that nobody else saw

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:25 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 pm
Not the reason we’re losing though. Only got ourselves to blame.
He was shocking, but he didn't keep giving the ball away.
We had a couple of dives that were embarrassing, and when any players cheat, it's bound to make any referees job harder.

gc14
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by gc14 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:37 pm

A shocking performance again from this ref .. A lot of decisions can be perceived as 50/50 depending on positioning
etc and didn't seem to get any help from the liners .. For me the worst of the night when the full back rolled back into
play to stop a quickly taken throwing and he let that go without a card ..
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:12 pm

NRC wrote: ↑Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:48 pm
ref got most decisions right, but didn't control the game, which played to Watford's advantage and we got suckered into it
Prefeot wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:02 pm
I don’t follow this logic
the decisions he had to make he tended to get right, but they banked up, and he didn't prevent them banking up in the first place by taking control through bookings and having a word with captains. For a game that was so niggly there were only six bookings? On the rate the ref thread CT has said pretty much the same thing (edit: and I see here too a couple of posts above)