Who do you think will struggle next season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Who do you think will struggle next season

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:35 am

and why?

Burnley aside, because barring a miracle even with additions it will always be very tough. Who are the sides we will be competing with at the bottom?

I predict the bottom 7 will be us and:

Watford - their form in 2016 was poor. just five wins and only above Villa and West Brom in the form table. Not made any signings of note. Second season up which is often a bigger test. No real sustained history at this level. New manager who doesnt know the league and possibly the language and culture!

Sunderland - perennial strugglers. Late business in the market after struggling last year. Lost a good manager. The players they have bought have no pedigree in the league. They signed a defender from chelsea who played 1 minute all season for double what chelsea paid! Start away to City and finish away to Chelsea which puts pressure on.

Hull - no manager, no team, tough start.

Palace - Lost a key player in Bolasie, struggling to land targets, had a poor 2016.

Bournemouth - did well last year. But spent big this year on unproven players. They are still little Bournemouth and that mentality might creep in. Second season syndrome a possibility.

Leicester - Bit of a surprise one. But the year before last they were very poor and team spirit got them through. Ranieri got them playing unbelievably last year. But they are no longer an unknown quantity, they have lost a very good player in Kante, they have the pressure and travel of the champions league to contend with and some of their players despite their achievements last year (which were outstanding of course) are still limited joruneymen. (Morgan, Ulloa, Albrighton, king). They have a small squad and Ranieri is already playing their chances down saying the aim is 40 points.

Will be interesting to see how saturdays opponents fare with their new manager but should have enough quality to stay up. Think Boro are very similar in that they have invested fairly well compared to other teams around us providing they can all gel and I think these two along with Southampton who have lost a very good manager and some equally good players may struggle under the new manage will make up the bottom ten

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3802 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Who do you think will struggle next season

Post by KRBFC » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 am

David Jones
This user liked this post: LawsCanalJump

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:35 am

Blackburn Rovers.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:01 am

I think Boro could struggle. Made a lot of changes to their squad and have a manager that buckled under the lesser pressure of the Championship.

Pulis is about all West Brom have got; they have no momentum.

Losing Ashley Williams is a massive blow for Swansea.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

geopancake
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by geopancake » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:35 am

The Burnley bank manager will struggle carrying all the cash to the vault, which has been disguised as Boohoo warehouse on Heasandford Industrial Estate.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 am

Depends how you define struggle.

In terms of a mini league bottom group, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see:

Hull, Burnley, Boro, Swansea, Watford and Bournemouth

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 am

I'm going to stick my neck out with this team, who i think will struggle

Everton

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:49 am

I actually feel Swansea will be in big trouble. Losing Ayew and especially Williams is huge for them, and the manager is still a bit of an unknown there.

A win tomorrow to hopefully set us up, and at the same time put them on a downer could be a big victory even at this stage.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:56 am

West Brom. Hopefully.

Roger Mellie
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Roger Mellie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 pm

My outside bet for relegation...West Ham.

I remember what happened to Southampton when they left The Dell. It's going to be like playing 38 away games until they get used to playing there...

HelloHiGoodbye
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:26 pm

A bottom three of any of Hull, Swansea, West Brom and Watford,

With Bournemouth, Boro, Palace and Southampton looking over their shoulders.

We'll be top six.
These 2 users liked this post: BleedingClaret roamingclaret

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:32 pm

hendricks,stephens and pele

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Teams that don't bond.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Teams with supporters who only see failure ahead. Dare to dream, dare to be brave!
This user liked this post: roamingclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:58 pm

Any change to this after deadline day business and start to season?

Surprised to see stoke start slowly and Hull so well but still think that Hull will go down and Stoke be more than fine.

Watford dont seem to have done much good business nor West Brom.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:09 pm

West Brom, Palace, Watford, Bournemouth.

Longtimeclaret
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Longtimeclaret » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Sunderland are going to struggle to stay up .
If Defoe gets injured for any length of time, they must be strong candidates for finishing bottom.

Hull will be in the bottom three -too much uncertainty and unrest at Boardroom level ,,which will eventually manifest itself on the pitch.

Both team have signed fringe players from United, which adds to numbers but not the quality of the squad to make an impact this season .Keane/Weir at Hull -would we want them ?
McNair ,Love at Sunderland -ditto .

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Hull have purchased fairly wisely.

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:34 pm

ablueclaret wrote:Hull have purchased fairly wisely.
So you are looking forward to getting on the turf and shouting for the lads in the next game against Hull.?

Oh hang on

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:and why?

Burnley aside, because barring a miracle even with additions it will always be very tough. Who are the sides we will be competing with at the bottom?

I predict the bottom 7 will be us and:

Watford - their form in 2016 was poor. just five wins and only above Villa and West Brom in the form table. Not made any signings of note. Second season up which is often a bigger test. No real sustained history at this level. New manager who doesnt know the league and possibly the language and culture!

Sunderland - perennial strugglers. Late business in the market after struggling last year. Lost a good manager. The players they have bought have no pedigree in the league. They signed a defender from chelsea who played 1 minute all season for double what chelsea paid! Start away to City and finish away to Chelsea which puts pressure on.

Hull - no manager, no team, tough start.

Palace - Lost a key player in Bolasie, struggling to land targets, had a poor 2016.

Bournemouth - did well last year. But spent big this year on unproven players. They are still little Bournemouth and that mentality might creep in. Second season syndrome a possibility.

Leicester - Bit of a surprise one. But the year before last they were very poor and team spirit got them through. Ranieri got them playing unbelievably last year. But they are no longer an unknown quantity, they have lost a very good player in Kante, they have the pressure and travel of the champions league to contend with and some of their players despite their achievements last year (which were outstanding of course) are still limited joruneymen. (Morgan, Ulloa, Albrighton, king). They have a small squad and Ranieri is already playing their chances down saying the aim is 40 points.

Will be interesting to see how saturdays opponents fare with their new manager but should have enough quality to stay up. Think Boro are very similar in that they have invested fairly well compared to other teams around us providing they can all gel and I think these two along with Southampton who have lost a very good manager and some equally good players may struggle under the new manage will make up the bottom ten
As it stands over half way through we are above every single one of these as predicted - PLUS West Ham. Meaning the only prediction that was wrong is that we would be in bottom 10 (bar a miracle).

If only I put a bet on it!!!!

Hoping it stays this way. :D

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 am

There's something about Hull at the moment, the new managers at Swansea/Hull have changed them. I believe one of them will get out of it.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:44 am

Swansea are on a purple patch with Clement. Siggurdson and Llorente are good and Narsingh is a decent signing. Fabianksi is one of the best keepers too. But just dont see Clement being good enough when the going gets tough.

On the other hand its the opposite with Hull. Not enough good players but a very good manager.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Swansea are on a purple patch with Clement. Siggurdson and Llorente are good and Narsingh is a decent signing. Fabianksi is one of the best keepers too. But just dont see Clement being good enough when the going gets tough.

On the other hand its the opposite with Hull. Not enough good players but a very good manager.
Yeah that manager for Hull is impressive, I wouldn't bet against them getting out of it. Team spirit goes a long way these days.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1059 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 am

Or perhaps both might escape. There are at least 6 teams still in the mix.

Ightenclaret
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by Ightenclaret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 am

I think Sunderland are the only dead certs so far. If they'd secured Ulloa and played Defoe like Gray and Big Sam they'd have had a chance.
I also think Bournemouth are in trouble and I think EH is facing a real test with Wilshere going off the boil and Ake not coming back from Chelski. I saw a look of real anxiety on the young man's face yesterday.
Hull are still in a honeymoon period and I don't think they have the players to survive but they have an outside chance with a young determined manager. He dug in over Robertson when the board were happy to sell.

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 am

At this moment in time its a bottom six fight for survival. They all need 3-5 wins to make up the gap and the teams above to lose. Realistically the teams from Bournemouth up should continue to pick up points, 15 draws would do nicely. Hull and Swansea might get the wins but they need the teams above to stand still.
Look back at our first promotion under Dyche, he did his usual one game at a time mantra but afterwards admitted that just looking at the stats, Derby needed to go on a long winning streak which was highly unlikely. Not impossible but unlikely.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 am

Brighton, Newcastle and Leeds or Reading will struggle. We'll cement a mid table position with a view to pushing for a European place in our 3rd season. We will be considerably richer than our neighbours.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Ightenclaret wrote:I think Sunderland are the only dead certs so far. If they'd secured Ulloa and played Defoe like Gray and Big Sam they'd have had a chance.
I also think Bournemouth are in trouble and I think EH is facing a real test with Wilshere going off the boil and Ake not coming back from Chelski. I saw a look of real anxiety on the young man's face yesterday.
Hull are still in a honeymoon period and I don't think they have the players to survive but they have an outside chance with a young determined manager. He dug in over Robertson when the board were happy to sell.
Agree on Bournemouth.

Slim Sim
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Slim Sim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Bournemouth should be OK barring a Blackpool type capitulation. I really think Leicester and Sunderland are in big trouble going off their showing against us.
This user liked this post: BennyD

maccclaret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Hull's manager will need to be bluddy good to knit together 8 new peripatetic freeloaders with a struggling team that just sold 2 of their best players and disaffected a third by not allowing him to join one of the top ten clubs in the country.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Vino blanco wrote:Blackburn Rovers.

Great call :D :D :D

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 31, 2017 12:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: