Ashley Barnes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Ashley Barnes

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:18 am

Saw him throwing himself around early season at home to Blackpool and not too long after that being withdrawn at Sunderland when we were 2-0 down. Thought that might have been one of, if not his last, games for us. Again shows how little I know. He bounced back against our 'neighbours' of course but since then he has continued to improve as a player playing in a position that Jay Rodriguez was holding down. His ball control, passing and awareness are testimony to the coaching staff but also his sheer determination to improve as a player despite his 33 years of age.
I'm not advocating that his contract should be extended; he's had his time in the Premier league but he has to be an example to any player in the twilight of their career that improvement is still very much possible. Well done Ashley Barnes, something I never envisaged saying leaving The Stadium of Light in Octo ber.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe Claret Till I Die Steve-Harpers-perm

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 246 times

Re: Ashley Barnes

Post by Vincent'sCap » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:27 am

He's brilliant now that Vincent has learned him how to stand up...well done Vincent 😊

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:30 am

I’d be happy to crowd fund statues for Barnes & Mr Kilby.

I’d also be happy to give Barnes a contract until he retires, I’ve said it before, there is always a role for a player like him in every game, might be last 20mins to protect a win or the last 20mins to make one. Priceless player.
These 4 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing turfytopper MT03ALG k90bfc

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:33 am

He was Pele Barnes again tonight!

Spraying passes, holding up, directing operations.

Superb.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:39 am

taught !!!!
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:43 am

A true leader, so obviously on, and by many accounts, off the pitch as well.

He’s definitely adapted well, dropping most of the frustrating traits that he had, yet still retaining the willingness to scrap and make things difficult for defenders.

The last few months he’s really flourished, showing a side of his game that I’m not even convinced he knew he had. It’s a shame he’s not much younger, I’d have loved to see how he might have developed given a prolonged period in a footballing side.

I’m surprising myself in saying it - I’d actually give him another year, if he wanted it and was accepting of being much more of a bit part.

I’m surmising that he is looked up to in the dressing room and his value off the pitch alone might be worth another twelve months.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:52 am

Should retire here, finish his coaching badges whilst here. Has a role to play next season, even if he's not scoring goals as much as he'd probably like he's affecting games more than ever before and allowing others to flourish around him.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:16 am

Easily worth another year next year in this form. Playing like Sheringham did in his latter years. Absolutely class at bringing others into the game.
This user liked this post: Jellybean

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:35 am

He really has stopped looking for fouls . It’s absolutely brilliant to see that a player can change later on in their career. I’m cleaning my boots off now … joking aside he’s a leader and I hope we can keep him another year at least as he seems leaner, fitter and he’s really enjoying that deep 9 role. Also he always gives credit to other forwards on his social media and you can tell he just wants the new lads to succeed . What a guy.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:34 am

I saw his interview, I think before the Wigan game, where he commented on how much he’s learned from Kompany. He particularly referenced how to be more of a leader in the group and I think we’ve seen that on / off the pitch.

Technically he’s really grasped the role too, giving us a focal point in attacks. There was an occasion last night, though, where his awful first touch in the box stopped us having a great early chance - surely we need better in the PL where chances are much rarer?

VK has a decision to make re. contract because both him and Jay surely can’t be on the books next season at their age, with our new model and the fact we will be in the much more difficult PL. Whatever happens he’s a club legend and I can’t wait to see him lift the trophy when it comes.

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:45 am

Outstanding again last night - like a new signing since Rovers game.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:56 am

Ashley as done great since rover's game but with the strikers we have I can't see him being offered another contract not unless jay goes but he as another year , but if Vinny want's him for another year who am I to argue.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:29 am

Luppy wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:45 am
Outstanding again last night - like a new signing since Rovers game.
This

His work rate, movement and laying off the ball, plus he's kept the good bits of his old game, and seemingly ditched the bad bits

I don't know how much longer he can keep this up, but lets enjoy it while we can

ClaretSam92
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by ClaretSam92 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:53 am

If we ignore the sensational performance from Tella, he was my man of the match by a country mile last night.

He won the ball back from their defenders on a number of occasions and the lay offs and flicks going forward were sublime. Tella and Barnes really complement each other, it's wonderful to see after watching an unhappy looking Barnes for the last couple of seasons.

Long may it continue.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:05 am

A true Burnley legend is our Ashley

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:07 am

Said it before and I’ll say it again - he deserves a new contract. That is not out of sentimentality, he suits the way we play perfectly now and whilst there is no doubt he wouldn’t be starting every week in the Premier League, I’d find a place for him on a 9 man bench every week. He can help us close games out and you can see how much the squad and staff think of him.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:56 am

Has been exceptional since the Rovers game! Such a big player and character around this young team. And it’s great to see with such a cult hero amongst the fans!

I’m not as convinced he’ll get another contract. I think Kompany is a very single-minded and business-like manager. There is no room for sentiment with him. And he may well see it that an extended contract would be Barnes taking up a crucial spot in a 25 man squad that could/should be going to a younger player with more ability who can make more of an impact. As good as Barnes is around the group and for morale (and he clearly is), I’m not sure it’s enough for a new contract in Kompany’s eyes.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:09 am

VK has used the old guard well, and in the absence of Jay ( not sure he’ll play again for us ?) Barnes has done a decent workmanlike holding job against fairly poor champ opposition surrounded by quality quick players , tella/Maatsen/AZ/etc .
As a vastly experienced prem player I’d expect nothing less . That said surely he does the honourable thing at the end of this season .

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am

Been good for us but won’t be anywhere near good enough for the Premier League. For all his good attributes and recent form his first touch in the box isn’t great and he’s no goal threat.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:31 am

Yep, I too am happy to hold my hand up.

He’s been integral this season.

Keeping hold of our PL experience for next season will be key.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am

The Burnley Sheringham.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:49 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:31 am
...Keeping hold of our PL experience for next season will be key.
But almost all of the PL experienced players we kept hold of weren't good enough last time we were there and while AB does look to have improved, he was perhaps the one who most needed to; remember that he's only here because we couldn't get rid of him.
Ahead of the current season, there were few optimists on this board (I certainly wasn't) and we we've all been pleasantly surprised; while well ahead of next season the majority are already getting excited; I fear the surprise will not be so pleasant. AB/JayRod certainly and perhaps not even jack Cork have a place in any EPL side that's staying up, their success this season is down to that 'PL experience' but that won't be enough to offset their ageing legs when we go back there.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 am

He's scored 4 goals in 30 appearances in the league this season. That's in a team that creates plenty of chances. I'm sure VK can find a younger striker that does everything he does and scores a few goals. You can't afford to carry a player in the PL for sentimental reasons. He'll be nowhere near good enough at that level.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:09 am

If you look at some of the goals he's scored for us in years gone by (West Brom away, to name one!) he's always had the more technical aspects of the game in his locker. Whether it was how he was coached, how Dyche wanted to set up or just a lack of confidence he seemed to fall into his 'Bashley' persona and always looked for fouls to get us up the pitch. At the end of last season and even at the start of this season it was embarrassing at times to watch him throwing himself on the floor. He's so much better than that and I'm thrilled he's showing it.

Yes he could have scored more, but as (ironically!) with Weghorst at United, just watch him. He brings others into play and creates space for Tella / Zaroury to run into.

And he's still got just a sprinkling of 'Bashley' about him, as the Rovers keeper knows only too well!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:20 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:09 am
If you look at some of the goals he's scored for us in years gone by (West Brom away, to name one!) he's always had the more technical aspects of the game in his locker. Whether it was how he was coached, how Dyche wanted to set up or just a lack of confidence he seemed to fall into his 'Bashley' persona and always looked for fouls to get us up the pitch. At the end of last season and even at the start of this season it was embarrassing at times to watch him throwing himself on the floor. He's so much better than that and I'm thrilled he's showing it.

Yes he could have scored more, but as (ironically!) with Weghorst at United, just watch him. He brings others into play and creates space for Tella / Zaroury to run into.

And he's still got just a sprinkling of 'Bashley' about him, as the Rovers keeper knows only too well!
Hope he never loses that bit of "Bashley" its what makes him so valuable to us

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 am

I was his biggest critic last season and in the early part of this one. However with Rodriguez out and Foster/Obefami yet to settle in fully, he has played a huge part since Christmas. THe biggest compliment to him last night, was that VK kept him on until the end, despite two other forwards coming on from the bench. He seems to be getting better in each game, and at the moment with Brownhill injured, and Cork slightly down the pecking order, he has become the "glue" in the team. Never thought I would say this. I hope he starts Saturday as he could give their backs a hard time

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:33 am

I was his biggest critic last season and in the early part of this one. However with Rodriguez out and Foster/Obefami yet to settle in fully, he has played a huge part since Christmas. THe biggest compliment to him last night, was that VK kept him on until the end, despite two other forwards coming on from the bench. He seems to be getting better in each game, and at the moment with Brownhill injured, and Cork slightly down the pecking order, he has become the "glue" in the team. Never thought I would say this. I hope he starts Saturday as he could give their backs a hard time

Vincent'sCap

Post by Vincent'sCap » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:34 am

People wanting to keep Barnes please no,we are going back to the Premier league we need better than him
Thanks for everything but time to go at the end of the season.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Vincent'sCap

Post by Vincent'sCap » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:35 am

summitclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am
The Burnley Sheringham.
That is absolutely bar none the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:41 am

This should be his last season for us, he's 33, 34 this year.
That place in the squad can, and should, be filled by a younger player next season in the PL

Been a fantastic servant for 10yrs, especially considering he only cost about £400k...

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:47 am

Barnes has been phenomenal since just before the World Cup. The fact this is his last season will mean we have great memories of him following a couple of very average seasons, and he also scored 2 (for now) against the B*****ds.

I would not give him another contract though considering we’re going up. There is no room for sentiment where the Premier League is concerned and I'm sure his wages will pay for two younger players who will have resale value.

Could he move into a coaching role or will he want another 1-2 years of high level football?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:50 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:09 am

Good argument as well here for not dispensing with Weghorst if he comes back

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:53 am

We should give Ashley Barnes a new contract. He's playing well. I'd expect that to continue. When his time comes there's a team in Liverpool that may want to sign him whichever league they are playing in.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:56 am

Along with many I see Barnes as the most improved player of the season.

Now is the time for him to bow out of a wonderful career with us and with his fitness looking good I think he's definitely worth a 2 year contract at another progressive club either in the Championship or League 1

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:57 am

He's settled in now to the way thos team plays and has shown more skill than we ever thought he had. Hes playing more facng the goal than with his back to it. He's also good to have around when it gets a bit rough because he can rough with anyone, and he's good with the young players we have.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:14 pm

I always thought he had the skill - many of his goals were top quality. I wonder if he regrets those years wasted on the old Barnes.

Unless he's something special off the pitch I cannot see a place for Barnes (or any of the ex PL players we have bar Brownhill and Roberts - even JBG although he may be worth a go). He will be rewarded with a free transfer so he can get a good deal somewhere - our friends down the road could use him!

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:17 pm

Another 12 months then player/coach
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Stayingup

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:43 pm

Brilliant 1st touch to lay off the ball for Maatsen who then crossed it for Tella to score.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:02 pm

The only way I’d re-sign Barnes is on the basis that he is to play solely for the U23s as an overage player and help bring them on. This being a hybrid first step on his coaching career.

There’s plenty of other teams who do this type of thing and it’s probably the next step forward for some of our older players as they come to the end of their current contracts.

If this isn’t an option for Barnes, or the club, then I’m sorry but his time has come; we can’t afford to be sentimental and we can’t kick cans down the road anymore. (Not that I think this board and management team will do that)

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:02 pm

There are a couple of indisputable facts:

1. Barnes is 157th on the list of all time Premier League goalscorers. Jay is 147th. That is proven nous and know how along with goalscoring ability at that level.
2. Our new players have no record at that level.

So to dispense with Barnes and Jay Rod, or keeping just one who may be injured for half a season, that’s a big risk. What if the others don’t cut it? We see it happen with so many young players who tear it up at the level below.

Pace and energy they have stats for, so if his legs are going they will know. Other than this I think he is vital. At worst it is £1m-£2m down.

Caveat by saying if Weghurst returns we can probably lose one of them.