Kompany, Gladiola and Wenger

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
footballdiedin92
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Kompany, Gladiola and Wenger

Post by footballdiedin92 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:28 pm

For obvious reasons when outsiders are talking about Kompany you get the comparison with gladiola, but I was thinking there are quite a few similarities to when Wenger took over at Arsenal.
He brought in a lot of technically gifted young players, but a decent chunk of his early success was also built around the better aspects he inherited, with older pros appearing to set high standards with regards to putting in hard graft to make sure that while they were playing more expansive football they maintained a hard to beat mentality that then got transferred into the younger players.

I'm not trying to point out anything that has been pointed out many times before on here. But the hard work mentality ingrained in our established players must have helped Mr Kompany immeasurably with getting the team to where we are now. The style of football we play while being of a technically high standard can't be played without a lot of hard work and I think we can see the impact the older players have had on this.

Using Barnes as an example, he was so out of form and didnt seem to fit into the new style of play for the first part of the season but through sheer hard work he has turned himself into a player that can play a big part of how the team moves the ball around up front. That sets a fantastic example for newer players to follow and the standards that are expected. I think it's obvious how much respect some of the younger players have for him, in particular Anass, Ive noticed a few times when we are celebrating goals they look for Ash.

Over time those older heads at Arsenal got replaced by more younger players, it's still early days for this team but the fact our club captain isn't getting straight back into the team after being one of our best players for a good chunk of the season suggests that is already happening.

I'm loving watching all these young lads setting the league on fire, but I'm also enjoying watching players who have already been a big part of our club for years having yet another day in the sun.
This user liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: Kompany, Gladiola and Wenger

Post by Carwin261 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 am

Excellent post .

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:36 am

Good post and nice observation. I also love that he’s now called Gladiola. :D

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:53 am

Kompany has paid tribute to the mentality at the club that the previous manager had instilled.
He's well aware of the foundations laid down

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:58 am

Excellent post and I fully agree with your comments on Barnes and others looking to him after a goal, especially Anass.