Ukrainian family - nothing but football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Ukrainian family - nothing but football

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 pm

Moving story in Times Sport

Tortured, persecuted and left with nothing – except football
The Bakulin family are steeped in football. Having fled the ravages of war in Ukraine for a new life in England, they now desperately need the help of the game they love, writes James Gheerbrant

James Gheerbrant, Friday March 24 2023, 5.00pm, The Times

Extract

Anatoly Bakulin cranes his neck and tilts his face towards the ceiling. “On those long days,” he says in his native language, “you would look at the sky and think, ‘That’s freedom there,’ while knowing you could be shot and lose your life at any time.”

He’s sitting in the flat in Hackney, north London, where he lives with five members of his family, surrounded by soft toys, sofa cushions and children’s birthday balloons, but in his mind he’s back in the cold, damp basement where he was chained, beaten and tortured by the Russian forces who occupied his home town, Nova Kakhovka, in the Kherson region of Ukraine. His sole focus each day, he says, “was just to live up until the dawn”.

Full article is worth reading:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9f76 ... 7db7ea8dce
This user liked this post: Hipper

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Ukrainian family - nothing but football

Post by Andreshotboots » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:49 pm

Very powerful read. I hope Putin gets what's coming to him very soon and the Russians are forced to rebuild every inch they've destroyed in Ukraine..

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:30 am

I am amazed that Ukraine are still able to play international football. Seems weird that some Ukrainians are earning a fortune as professional footballers while their homeland is being razed to the ground I don’t recall England playing in the Second World War except for some home internationals arranged by the Army. Most pro footballers were called up to serve just like other young healthy men
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 pm

I like the fact that they continue to play. I see it as a two fingered gesticulation of defiance to Putin, showing that despite his twisted yearning for power and land, Ukrainian life continues on a worldwide stage.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:53 pm

Zom Zom wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 pm
I like the fact that they continue to play. I see it as a two fingered gesticulation of defiance to Putin, showing that despite his twisted yearning for power and land, Ukrainian life continues on a worldwide stage.
That’s why I love the fact Usyk is world champion and continues to fight
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:45 pm

Strange when Ireland played Ukraine in Poland " lotz " last year kind of OK we are playing football but something wrong with it at the same time .
Cant put my finger on it to be honest .

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:06 pm

I saw a piece on TV this morning saying the Ukrainian Gov has asked their sports stars to keep competing. It raises morale of the public and keeps Ukraine in the public eye of International sports watchers.