Could Wout be the next Ashley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Re: Could Wout be the next Ashley?

Post by Longsider » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:44 am

Coeus wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:31 am
Has he posted on social any congratulation messages to his team, Burnley?
This is such a good point and speaks volumes if he hasn't

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:49 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:43 am
Inevitable it will be speculated upon when such reports are published including the one about him and Roberts which seems pretty solid. Would he a big risk to bring him back into the squad and one not worth taking in my view.
My point is you can't possibly make that judgement because the evidence is not there. If Kompany decides to keep him next season, by all means question it if you choose on football grounds. You've watched him play for Burnley and on the telly for United and others,so you've got evidence to justify an opinion (in either direction). But dismissing players as bad apples on loose hearsay isn't based on similar evidence.
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:55 am

Longsider wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:44 am
This is such a good point and speaks volumes if he hasn't
Why does it?

He could have sent a message to any of them privately, heaven forbid we’re now judging people by what they don’t put on social media
This user liked this post: claretspice

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:03 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:49 am
My point is you can't possibly make that judgement because the evidence is not there. If Kompany decides to keep him next season, by all means question it if you choose on football grounds. You've watched him play for Burnley and on the telly for United and others,so you've got evidence to justify an opinion (in either direction). But dismissing players as bad apples on loose hearsay isn't based on similar evidence.
Bound to be talked about when discussions are taking place about whether or not he will be re-integrated into our squad. Especially when squad unity has been key to our successes and multiple reports that he wasn't a popular member of our squad - if you don't believe them that's fair enough but I do and I'm happy to say so.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:05 pm

I think it’s a bit of coin toss, sometimes I have seen him and he looks decent and does his job. In other games I can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Think we would be better getting what money we can for him and moving on. He’s done well in Germany and Turkey, so there is a market for him.

Alternatively we could swap him and McNally for Gyokeres.

HistoricalClaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:19 pm

To make this clear Wout has STILL not congratulates us on our promotion despite us still remaining his contracted club. He does not care about our club and does not want to be here, and the fact is after how he has spoken and acted he does not deserve to be at our club in the summer we should sell him for whatever we can and forget that he ever existed

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:25 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:19 pm
To make this clear Wout has STILL not congratulates us on our promotion despite us still remaining his contracted club. He does not care about our club and does not want to be here, and the fact is after how he has spoken and acted he does not deserve to be at our club in the summer we should sell him for whatever we can and forget that he ever existed
You have no way of knowing that he hasn’t called Alan Pace up himself and offered congratulations.

This behaviour of demonising an individual based on some weird prejudice you have against them really has to stop.

Ben Mee himself even came out himself and said a lot of the rumours around Wout were just complete b******s
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

HistoricalClaret

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:32 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:25 pm
You have no way of knowing that he hasn’t called Alan Pace up himself and offered congratulations.

This behaviour of demonising an individual based on some weird prejudice you have against them really has to stop.

Ben Mee himself even came out himself and said a lot of the rumours around Wout were just complete b******s
Ben Mee came out and said the rumour of him calling players up late at night was false which it was, because it never happened at Burnley it happened at his old club at Wolfsburg.

Now to add I couldnt care less if he had called up Alan Pace and offered congratulations he hasnt posted ANYTHING on social media to congratulate the fans and the club as a whole.

He said within 2 weeks of getting to Man U he wanted to stay and within a week he started slagging off Besiktas, there training standards and how the clubs level just wasnt high enough for him. Despite him scoring goals and having lots of fan love there.

Wout Weghorst is a man with the ego the size of Ronaldo but the actual footballing skill of Dale Stephens. He should NEVER be back in this club.
He will destroy the brilliant dressing room atmosphere we have seen built at Burnley one that in the last 2 days has been extremely evident and before you argue back that all of this is speculation or baseless I will remind you of his very public and very obvious on-pitch shouting match with Conner Roberts.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:39 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:32 pm
Now to add I couldnt care less if he had called up Alan Pace and offered congratulations he hasnt posted ANYTHING on social media to congratulate the fans and the club as a whole.
Sounds like a you baby man-child problem, not a Wout problem.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:39 pm

Get rid asap and get money back for him. Use this to buy a PL calibre forward who is enthusiastic to play for BFC. He is nowhere near good enough for Man Utd nor for us at that level. He offers nice touches, lay offs and work off the ball but what else. Plenty of players offer this and a whole lot more.

HistoricalClaret

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:51 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:39 pm
Sounds like a you baby man-child problem, not a Wout problem.
Why defend him like at all, I also love how you discount the rest of my argument and focus on one of my own personal gripes.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:51 pm

I don't care if he congratulates us or not.
i don't think he's a fit for us up front next season.
Hopefully we can get him off the books and recoup at least a small amount of money.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 pm

Would sending a nice tweet about promotion cure him from being crap at football?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:55 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:51 pm
Why defend him like at all, I also love how you discount the rest of my argument and focus on one of my own personal gripes.
This is where your reading comprehension needs to be better;
I haven’t ‘defended’ Wout here, merely pointed out that the notion of criticising someone for not posting whatever message on their own social media is beyond ridiculous.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:57 pm

For all we know he has turned up yesterday at Alan Pace’s house holding aloft a boombox playing ‘Celebration’ by Kool and the Gang.

I do not rate him but we can’t judge anyone on a lack of a social media message.

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:00 pm

My opinion for what's worth.
WW is a Burnley player and will report for pre season with the rest of his colleagues unless we have sold him beforehand.
I will trust VK completely in making his assement of whether he will be a fit in our playing system and whether he will be a fit with the squad.
Let's not forget WW will find this a totally different club to the one he played in last season. VK, the coaches and staff are completely different and most of them probably can communicate with him in his own language.
He might find he feels at home and can be a positive player within our Premier League squad.
Time will tell.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 pm

Claretnick wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:00 pm
WW is a Burnley player and will report for pre season with the rest of his colleagues unless we have sold him beforehand.
I will trust VK completely in making his assement of whether he will be a fit in our playing system and whether he will be a fit with the squad.
Let's not forget WW will find this a totally different club to the one he played in last season. VK, the coaches and staff are completely different and most of them probably can communicate with him in his own language.
He might find he feels at home and can be a positive player within our Premier League squad.
Time will tell.
Feeling at home is not going to turn him into a club legend.

HistoricalClaret

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:55 pm
This is where your reading comprehension needs to be better;
I haven’t ‘defended’ Wout here, merely pointed out that the notion of criticising someone for not posting whatever message on their own social media is beyond ridiculous.
Im not criticising him for that though am I. You cant take a point of a larger argument stand it on its own and then says as a an independant argument that its invalid I think its your comprehension that fails you and considering I am actively doing a degree involving a hell of a lot of reading a critical thought I back my own abilities in that are thanks very much. As part of a larger argument I simply felt it is telling, that along with previous behaviours and actions, the lack of any public congratulations from Wout is well telling in regards to his opinions, desires and general lack of care or thought for our club.

Philss_99
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Philss_99 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:09 pm

As pointed out above, he seems quite capable in the German leagues and probably has a few suitors.

Would it not make sense to use WW as a make weight in a deal to get Beyer over the line ?

Claretnick

Post by Claretnick » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:09 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 pm
Feeling at home is not going to turn him into a club legend.
Did I say anything about him becoming a club legend?

I will leave it with VK to take this forward in whatever way he feels is the best for the club

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:11 pm

Claretnick wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:09 pm
Did I say anything about him becoming a club legend?

I will leave it with VK to take this forward in whatever way he feels is the best for the club

It's in the thread title. Ashley Barnes is a club legend, isn't he?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:16 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 pm
Im not criticising him for that though am I. You cant take a point of a larger argument stand it on its own and then says as a an independant argument that its invalid I think its your comprehension that fails you and considering I am actively doing a degree involving a hell of a lot of reading a critical thought I back my own abilities in that are thanks very much. As part of a larger argument I simply felt it is telling, that along with previous behaviours and actions, the lack of any public congratulations from Wout is well telling in regards to his opinions, desires and general lack of care or thought for our club.
Well yeah, that’s exactly what you did.

By your own admission you even said that you aren’t bothered if he personally congratulated Alan Pace himself because he hadn’t posted on social media, which, he has no obligation to do so and it’s very weird to judge someone on what they chose to do with their own social media, rather than what they actually do behind the scenes.

If you’re talking about behaviours and actions to judge him on, I’d probably look at:

- how he performed in training
- the intensity he exerted on the pitch

By all accounts he was a model pro (Dyche said as much) and going off game stats he also put a hell of a shift in, even if he didn’t score quite as we wished.

You strike me as the type of middle manager that loves sycophants to boost your own fragile ego rather than people that actually get things done.

HistoricalClaret

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:24 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:16 pm
Well yeah, that’s exactly what you did.

By your own admission you even said that you aren’t bothered if he personally congratulated Alan Pace himself because he hadn’t posted on social media, which, he has no obligation to do so and it’s very weird to judge someone on what they chose to do with their own social media, rather than what they actually do behind the scenes.

If you’re talking about behaviours and actions to judge him on, I’d probably look at:

- how he performed in training
- the intensity he exerted on the pitch

By all accounts he was a model pro (Dyche said as much) and going off game stats he also put a hell of a shift in, even if he didn’t score quite as we wished.

You strike me as the type of middle manager that loves sycophants to boost your own fragile ego rather than people that actually get things done.
Dyche who despite my love- Had a player of 10 years and his long time captain refuse to talk about him while mired in constant rumours among certain "ITK" fans of an unsavoury happening at the training ground gotcha mate, loving the personal references to my character and ability btw rather than addressing the actual 6 foot 6 elephant in the room that the topic is all about.

Claretnick

Post by Claretnick » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:24 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:11 pm
It's in the thread title. Ashley Barnes is a club legend, isn't he?
My apologies for misreading the title, thought we were talking about the role in the team that Ash has been playing since the Rovers game.
Of course Ash is and always will be a club legend.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:30 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:24 pm
Dyche who despite my love- Had a player of 10 years and his long time captain refuse to talk about him while mired in constant rumours among certain "ITK" fans of an unsavoury happening at the training ground gotcha mate, loving the personal references to my character and ability btw rather than addressing the actual 6 foot 6 elephant in the room that the topic is all about.
You’re more than welcome to judge him based on your perception of his footballing ability (as long as it’s got some logic to it vs irrational dislikes) but to judge him on his character based on what you see (or more importantly don’t see) on social media is really pathetic and is what dullards do.

That’s the point

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:32 pm

Claretnick wrote:
My apologies for misreading the title, thought we were talking about the role in the team that Ash has been playing since the Rovers game.
Yes, I was just making a comparison between likely levels of popularity. :D
This user liked this post: Claretnick

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:44 pm

He'd have been good this season in the Championship, I'd have no problem whatsoever about him being here next year, great option to have, he won't be VK's first but an option nonetheless.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5089 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:59 pm

He needs to master football first before he has a crack at butchering.
images.jpeg.jpg
images.jpeg.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:03 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:19 pm
You’re claiming facts without proof. Dangerous ground.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:05 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:32 pm
Ben Mee came out and said the rumour of him calling players up late at night was false which it was, because it never happened at Burnley it happened at his old club at Wolfsburg.

He said within 2 weeks of getting to Man U he wanted to stay and within a week he started slagging off Besiktas, there training standards and how the clubs level just wasnt high enough for him. Despite him scoring goals and having lots of fan love there.

Wout Weghorst is a man with the ego the size of Ronaldo but the actual footballing skill of Dale Stephens. He should NEVER be back in this club.
He will destroy the brilliant dressing room atmosphere we have seen built at Burnley one that in the last 2 days has been extremely evident and before you argue back that all of this is speculation or baseless I will remind you of his very public and very obvious on-pitch shouting match with Conner Roberts.
Conner Roberts doesn’t strike me as the correct yard stick to measure the worth of a person.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:06 pm

What ever VK thinks . Don't forget we've Foster still to come back ( jury's out on him , but a lot of fans wrote Barnsie off 7 months ago !! ) .

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:30 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:03 pm
Bound to be talked about when discussions are taking place about whether or not he will be re-integrated into our squad. Especially when squad unity has been key to our successes and multiple reports that he wasn't a popular member of our squad - if you don't believe them that's fair enough but I do and I'm happy to say so.
Imagine a scenario when a club has been relegated and a few weeks later two players are opponents playing for their respective countries. One player scores and his team wins. The other player is on the losing side. Add in that one player knows his wage will reduce because relegation clause applies. Meanwhile other player, who joined only in second half of season, has negotiated that he goes out on loan to protect his chances to play in world cup - and won't experience relegation clause pay cut. What do we expect the losing player to say?

It will be very different if Vincent Kompany brings Wout Weghorst back into the squad. Connor Roberts will be buzzing because he's had a good season in a winning team - and he's back in the Premier League and his relegation clause has been cancelled.

UTC

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:34 pm

His attitude can't be that bad if he's getting picked week in week out at United, and by and large I think they've been impressed with his commitment and effort (if not his finishing) We haven't much experience in this squad, if he wants to play here and VK wants him I've no problem with it

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:43 pm

Claretnick wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:00 pm
Time will tell.
Nice idea that Wout Weghorst will be more at home at Barnfield because he can speak in Dutch with Vincent Kompany and some of his team mates. Almost all Dutch people are fluent in English and often two or three other languages as well as Dutch. However, where you may be correct is that Dutch and Belgians and people who have lived in those countries will be very comfortable with the common Dutch personal characteristic of how they express themselves and how they speak of performance by others.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:47 pm

A lot of emotion from some on this thread and a lack of facts. Here are facts
- Weghorst is a better footballer than Ashley Barnes (legend or not)
- Weghorst had a contract that looked after his own interests
- the current squad has a better winning mentality compared to the relegated squad. I wont postulate as to it being better or not
- if he is still our contracted player (and I’m personally not convinced he is) then VK will weigh up his fit into the squad, or not

Everything else is subjective and conjecture

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:10 pm

United fans on redcafe are saying that Wout is a combination of Van Persie and Van Nistelrooy.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:30 pm

The reason Weghorst will not be the next Ashley is this:

Burnley are a “buy low sell high” club now, no position is that more pivotal to than striker, so we will have a youngish striker, and ideally we need an experienced guy on the bench in case it doesn’t work or they go out of form, as young strikers are a risk in the PL and can have long barren spells.

That experience could be Jay, or Barnes (hence why I think his departure is an error) but it won’t be Weghorst. Can anyone see him happy not being the main man? Ashley and Jay would be I suspect.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:21 pm

Absolutely no surprise Utd won’t be keeping Weghorst.

Those 2 World Cup goals inflated his reputation , not for the first time scoring in a World Cup tournament has done that for a player.

He’s bobbins

Tufty
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Tufty » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:44 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:55 am
Why does it?

He could have sent a message to any of them privately, heaven forbid we’re now judging people by what they don’t put on social media
Bit naive to underestimate the power and significance of social media. You may not agree with it , but he knows it, most people know it and for him to ignore it does indeed speak volumes. It's the modern day PR and a large aspect of modern day professional football leans heavily upon it.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:59 pm

Tufty wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:44 pm
Bit naive to underestimate the power and significance of social media. You may not agree with it , but he knows it, most people know it and for him to ignore it does indeed speak volumes. It's the modern day PR and a large aspect of modern day professional football leans heavily upon it.
The bloke hasn't issued a tweet since 2017
This user liked this post: Quicknick

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:19 am

What ever happens with him happens, if he goes fine if he stays then if he hits the ground running next season all will be forgotten

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:30 am

Should this translate as - he's still on our books & it might be tricky offloading him somewhere else on favourable terms to our initial outlay so let's give the guy a go.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:55 am

Hopefully not

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1624 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:44 am

equinox wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:10 pm
United fans on redcafe are saying that Wout is a combination of Van Persie and Van Nistelrooy.
More Sherpa Van I'd say...

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:15 am

Strange that Man Utd signed WW on loan when , according to most of the posts on here, he is/was such a waste of space as a footballer and a human being.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:29 am

claret59 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:15 am
Strange that Man Utd signed WW on loan when , according to most of the posts on here, he is/was such a waste of space as a footballer and a human being.
No one on here has a clue what he's like as a person.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am

Claretnick wrote:
We were. Otherwise the title would have been, 'Can Wout become the next club legend like Ashley'.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:39 am

Most United fans I know really like him for what he contributes to the team. He doesn't score many, but he contributes a lot to their hold-up and interplay. Just like Ashley does for us.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:07 am

I will leave this to Vinny. He will speak to Wout and between them they will decide whether he has a future here. If they both agree he has then he gets my FULL support. No niggly “he’s a wrong un” when he has a bad game. If he plays for us ever again then he gets a clean slate.

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:00 pm

Why not keep them both? 😀 Barnes had his best goals return when playing with Chris Wood, so maybe a Barnes-Weghorst front two is just what we need to tear up the PL next year…