Could Wout be the next Ashley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Could Wout be the next Ashley?

Post by Steddyman » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:41 am

Reports surfaced last night that United will not be trying to sign Wout on a permanent deal.

He hasn't scored many for them, but he has worked his socks off for them, and puts himself about a lot with some excellent touches. I could see him coming back and taking the role Ashley has been playing for us next year.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Re: Could Wout be the next Ashley?

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:49 am

I certainly hope not. I personally don't want him back at my club, and
I hope Vinny is of the same opinion.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:57 am

I used to think that, but I don't know any longer.

We don't know the circumstances of how he was signed. There have been suggestions an agreement was in his contract that he wouldn't play in the Championship. If it was, then his words at the time can be taken in a different context.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 am

No

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 am

I believe in the importance of a happy dressing room so it's a no from me.
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

johnnyjones
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by johnnyjones » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:35 am

Big Wout will lead us to European football next year I can feel it in my water

Will bookmark this so as to say I told you so

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:35 am

Wout Weghorst was one-in-ten for us. He's zero-in-ten for UTD, in a far better team which creates more chances than he had last season with us. If the argument is that the goals don't matter and the link up play is worth having him in the side for, well, ladies and gentlemen, please avert your attention to Ashley Barnes, because aside from him scoring fewer for us than past, his overall footballing game is better this season, in this team, than it has ever been for us. Barnes was given the opportunity because Jay was injured, sure, but he has since played his way into being one of the first names on the team sheet in a team that has absolutely pi$$ed the league since Blackburn at home.

So we've got a choice between two strikers who are playing similar roles in their respective teams, who similarly don't put away as many chances as they should, but who both work their nuts off for the team and would be good to have around for cup games and whenever the first or second choice strikers are out — except one of them, Ash, already knows the team, is a genuine bona fide club legend almost universally adored by the fans, is a proper leader, is almost guaranteed to be trouble-free (I say almost because he let himself and everyone down big time a few years back with the drink driving, but around the club he's been impeccable for a decade), he has proven he can improve areas of his game even at his age, he almost certainly wants to be here, would likely be on relatively low wages compared to his replacement, and wouldn't need to be 'replaced' insofar as a transfer outlay is concerned...this versus a player who is unproven in this Kompany team, is not particularly well liked by fans (possibly even among his teammates if Connor Roberts playing for Wales is anything to go by), basically put a few minutes as a sub in a world cup ahead of the championship fight (can't blame him for it, but I put Burnley first, naturally, so I'm biased), had a bit of a performative strop at being subbed so pathetic that he couldn't even muster joy for his teammates in the Watford comeback win last season, and on whom we might possibly be able to recoup some of the transfer fee we wasted on him, putting it towards a first choice PL calibre forward.

Hmmm...tough choice.

If WW is this superior, superlative technician I'm yet to see it. He's no more technical, nor does he stitch things together better than, any other average PL No.10, and he scores less than bang average No.9s. What even is the point in him? Runs around a lot? So does Ash. Height? He can't fking head a ball. Age? He's only got three years over Ash, and even if he somehow improves, I seriously doubt he'll see out his contract anyway. Get some money for back on him, keep Ash. Better than losing Ash and being stuck with Wout. My hope is that a contract offer to Ash has not been forthcoming only because we're waiting for the Wout (and possibly Jay???) situation to clear up in the summer before committing wages and a squad place to him.
This user liked this post: jos

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:50 am

Goes without saying that Kompany has earned 100% complete trust. If he doesn't see Barnes being here next season, so be it. If Barnes leaves at the expense of us being lumbered with WW, I'm hoping Kompany is seeing something I'm not. Alan Pace needs to back Kompany's decision on this one 100%. None of this Garlick/Dyche style tug of war, though thankfully Pace hasn't shown anything other than complete support in the transfer market.
This user liked this post: mkmel

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:08 am

Get rid it was only the Manure situation that prevented the Turks buying him.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:14 am

Personally I have to say a no from me as he wasn't liked by players so nothing as changed but if Vinny can sort him out and change is attitude then I trust Vinny's judgment , be very interesting come end of the season .

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:32 am

sadly we'll be lucky to get 5 million quid for him. He will upset Connor Roberts and I love smiley happy Connor so for me WW can go rot in the Turkish league

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:17 am

I really don’t think he’ll want to come back. The way we’ve seen VK operate I think he’ll be looking for better than WW, or at least I hope so. Personally I don’t want him anywhere near the club again,

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:21 am

He's not a Claret and he never will be...get shut as quickly as we can.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:25 am

He has 2 Premier League goals in 30 games. We were told that he couldn’t score just due to being hamstrung by Dyche’s tactics, when he was actually getting more out of him on a goals per game basis than Erik Ten Hag and Manchester United’s creativity from the likes of Fernandes, Rashford, Eriksen etc can manage! He has a great touch and is a good footballer but it has become clear that he is not capable of scoring goals at the level we are going back to. We need a ten goal striker generally to stay up, history tells us that. Hopefully there will be takers from Germany for him as he’s proven there.

Worth saying though - Kompany has the trust of everyone, if he feels that it’s a project worth reviving that’s good enough for me. If Kompany wants to give him a shot it’ll be a new slate I’m sure from the players and should be from the fans too.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:29 am

Our squad all work for each other and have given 100% to our club. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the place.

Coeus
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Coeus » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:31 am

Has he posted on social any congratulation messages to his team, Burnley?
These 4 users liked this post: Billy Balfour Woonderbah longsidepies thomo27

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:33 am

I’m probably in a minority in not holding Wout’s departure last summer against him. I thought his reasons were clear and understandable. Whether he’s now the right fit for us is a different question and only VK can answer that.

I think the interesting dilemma is how we balance youth and experience next season. The club adopted a policy of only signing players under 26 last summer if reporting is to be believed and largely opted to buy players nearer to 20/21.

There aren’t many older players left. Barnes is about to leave and you could imagine a scenario where at least one of Cork, Taylor or Rodriguez might follow him. None of those three have been favoured/available during the second half of the season when we’ve been at our best. That might leave Wout as one of the few experienced players left on the books and he’s also the player to have played at a far higher level than almost anyone else in the playing squad.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:33 am

He works hard and is clearly a good footballer but is probably a yard off it to have a real impact on the PL

If Kompany wants him then we should all get behind him but I think we will probably offload him for around 5 mill to a side in Europe.

Would probably do well in the Spanish league

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:41 am

NO Nay Never.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:43 am

Recoup as much as we can from the original fee.. put that towards using McNally in a package to get Gyokeres and maybe O'Hare if he's still on VK's radar.
Having watched Barnes this season, I honestly don't think Weghorst would do any better and his age doesn't fit the club's buy low sell high profile.. and as said above why risk the harmony in the dressing room by bringing WW back.. we can do better
This user liked this post: tiger76

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:52 am

Firstly, we might have no choice and he will be here anyway

Secondly, his work rate and link up play is pretty good, certainly his biggest assets

I'm not against him coming back and certainly won't hold it against him, but I suspect that more than a few will, and it doesn't take much to influence boo boys if things aren't going as well as they have this season

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:59 am

Unsurprisingly, Man United won't want him next season - he's been nowhere near good enough. I guess he'll go back out on loan again.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:01 am

No

I have no agenda for Wout, the criticism on this board is way ott. He did what anyone in his situation, re the WC would do, and it was promised on signing.

I just don't think he is what we need.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:02 am

If he can't bag at Man Utd with the service they've got he's hardly likely to suddenly turn into a goalscoring machine at Burnley is he.

I take on board the comments regarding his experience and work rate, but he'll likely be one of our higher earners, and he's the wrong side of 30 now.

Plus we currently seem to have a harmonious camp, so we risk disrupting that team spirit.

Cut our losses and trust VK to recruit somebody better.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:08 am

Can't run
Can't head the ball
Can't shoot
Bit arrogant
Misses big chances

...Presses well though

If we can get anywhere near the money we paid for him, take it and reinvest

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:24 am

Absolutely not.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:33 am

It's a no from me too.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:52 am

I'm open minded.

He's clearly a talented player. He's scored goals in European leagues, scored in World cups and won caps for Holland, and been good enough for United to want him in the first place. We need a focal point striker comfortable in a 433 for next season, and he's that mould.

Ideally we'd want someone younger, and i take the point hes not set the world alight at United. But he wouldn't be the first good player to fail at that level and be perfectly conpetent at lower ranking clubs, it gives him a point to prove, and we'd be fools to ignore a player of his CV. We have a finite amount of money this summer so we've got to be pragmatic.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7573 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:53 am

Cut our losses on him.
Get a few quid back & put it towards someone who would like to be at Burnley.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:56 am

I don’t think we should have signed a player with an agreement that he would not play in the Championship. I understand the player’s reasoning, in that it was a World Cup year, but we’re either all in this together or we’re not. I appreciate he may not have signed without that clause but then we probably shouldn’t have signed him at all. Alternatively, maybe we could have got him on a short term loan. Yes, other players left after relegation, but we got good good money for them and none indicated they would refuse to play in the Championship. It’s about team spirit and players with the sort of attitude Wout has can destroy that. So, personally, I think he has to go in summer.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:01 am

Needs to be prioritised-sell him and give VK the cash to reinvest

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:13 am

The big problem with Wout Weghorst is that he's crap. Get rid.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:17 am

I would have been happier with the prospect of him coming back if I hadn't seen so much of him playing for Utd. The ineffective lumbering one man press, his inability to jump his height, the badge kissing, the profligate finishing, the constant demanding of the ball from teammates who don't appear to trust him. The slowest player I have seen since Trevor Quow. I wasn't one of the Wout haters and was genuinely willing him to score, if for no other reason than to increase his transfer value. I have no issue with him coming back from a pereceived unity or loyalty perspective but I do from a footballing one.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:19 am

He's playing a near identical role for united as Barnes does for us and has been doing it pretty well, according to their fans, just without the goals. I don't want him back at all but he might be difficult to shift.
This user liked this post: Steddyman

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:26 am

Judged purely in football terms, I’m pretty sure he could do a job for us. None of us really knows how things are in the dressing room, but I imagine VK would be capable of managing that. If he doesn’t think so or doesn’t think it’s worth the hassle, there won’t be a decision to be made.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:29 am

I’d rather us get rid of his wage and use it on potentially 2 maybe even 3 players who actually want to play for us

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:31 am

A pretty crap footballer with an over-sized ego.

Sure, he can play between the half-way line and the opposition penalty box and occasionally find a pass into a team mate, but he’s generally a big clumsy oaf who can’t get his body to move anywhere near as quickly as is required in the PL.

VK surely won’t want to add an absolute whopper into his dressing room either.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:40 am

I'm with Colburn on this: I have no problem with his departure to Turkey to secure a world cup spot and fancied him to come back and replace Barnes and Jay-Rod for next year but when he went to Old Trafford I thought we'd lost him; I expected him to shine there and stay. To my surprise he's not looked as good as I'd anticipated and as others have said 'he will get fewer scoring opportunities for us than them'. If there's any truth in the suggestion that he'll disrupt the squad's 'team' mentality I'd now say No, he's not shown enough at Old Trafford to make that risk worthwhile.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:00 am

No character! What happens if we go through a bad period ?

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 319 times

Post by durhamclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:03 am

Let Sean sign him for Everton in the championship!

Hurstclaret
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Hurstclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:19 am

Woonderbah wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:43 am
Recoup as much as we can from the original fee.. put that towards using McNally in a package to get Gyokeres and maybe O'Hare if he's still on VK's radar.
Having watched Barnes this season, I honestly don't think Weghorst would do any better and his age doesn't fit the club's buy low sell high profile.. and as said above why risk the harmony in the dressing room by bringing WW back.. we can do better
Agree. Gyokeres for me. Not bothered about O Hare. Not proven cos of injury

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:23 am

I dont mind players being disappointed when substituted ,sitting in the dugout reading a programme at the end of match when the team were celebrating a victory disgusting .
Remarks about "Burnley Football Club" at the Start of his Manchester United "Career" disgusting
Connor Roberts response to him in the International match spot on
To compare him to Ashley Barnes an insult to Ashley Barnes and the Club
I wouldnt let him near the Club ever again
Players suffer lack of form and injuries , lack of positive attitude unforgiveable
This user liked this post: tiger76

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:30 am

The comments about Weghorst's attitude seem to be based on an awful lot of conjecture. If he really was disruptive, then doubtless Kompany’s senior think tank (Cork et al) will tell him. If he was just another driven footballer who got frustrated along with half the squad when things didn't go to plan, and then wanted the club to honour a deal done when he signed regarding a top flight loan this season, then I imagine Kompany will take it with a pinch of salt.

I haven't seen anything reported which gives a concrete steer either way. So it's pure guess work and should be treated as such.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:37 am

claretspice wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:30 am
The comments about Weghorst's attitude seem to be based on an awful lot of conjecture. If he really was disruptive, then doubtless Kompany’s senior think tank (Cork et al) will tell him. If he was just another driven footballer who got frustrated along with half the squad when things didn't go to plan, and then wanted the club to honour a deal done when he signed regarding a top flight loan this season, then I imagine Kompany will take it with a pinch of salt.

I haven't seen anything reported which gives a concrete steer either way. So it's pure guess work and should be treated as such.
Multiple reports that he was popular in our dressing room because of his attitude - a fine line between self-belief and arrogance. No smoke without fire.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:38 am

Can’t see him fitting back into this dressing room to be honest. I’d imagine we’ll be happy to get 5-8m for him from somewhere. I’m sure a German / Dutch club will take him, his goalscoring record there is quite impressive. If not, I can see him going to China or Saudi Arabia on a decent wedge.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:38 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:37 am
Multiple reports that he was popular in our dressing room because of his attitude - a fine line between self-belief and arrogance. No smoke without fire.
Was or wasn’t ?
This user liked this post: taio

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:39 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:38 am
Was or wasn’t ?
Wasn't

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:40 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:37 am
Mostly driven by the speculation over him leaving last summer though, and exaggerated by the inevitable discontent of a relegation campaign. At the same time senior players and coaches were reportedly falling out.

Point is that this is a question for those on the inside. It's not something we can judge like we can performances on the pitch, and the speculation is therefore unhelpful.

Here's-Johnny
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by Here's-Johnny » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:42 am

Thoughts of Tony Hancock sprung to mind on signing him at the time.....so it Came to pass. Obviously a talented footballer but a square peg in a round hole at Burnley.
This user liked this post: Spike

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:43 am

claretspice wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:40 am
Mostly driven by the speculation over him leaving last summer though, and exaggerated by the inevitable discontent of a relegation campaign. At the same time senior players and coaches were reportedly falling out.

Point is that this is a question for those on the inside. It's not something we can judge like we can performances on the pitch, and the speculation is therefore unhelpful.
Inevitable it will be speculated upon when such reports are published including the one about him and Roberts which seems pretty solid. Would he a big risk to bring him back into the squad and one not worth taking in my view.