Kompany on Chelsea Shortlist

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Re: Kompany on Chelsea Shortlist

Post by claret_in_exile » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:46 pm

Lip wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:43 pm
Utter bullshit,he's going nowhere.
Hope you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at least on their shortlists, though.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1755 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:04 pm

It’s a long way from being one of several managers under consideration to being offered the job.

It’s hard to imagine Chelsea taking another gamble on a manager with little coaching experience at the top level. Lampard & Potter will be fresh in their memories.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:17 pm

They're starting to find their normal pre money place in football.

They have Frank Lampard as manager, their 'shortlist' must be 20 pages long.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:21 pm

I think Chelsea will go for Poch in the end due to his experience (they reportedly had apprehension over Nagelsmann because of his age, and Vinnie is more or less the same age), but he'd be mad not to listen to the offer if it comes. Take the claret tinted specs off and say it out loud, it's Burnley to Chelsea. That's astronomical career progression, and I couldn't blame him. If he goes this summer (or even to Spurs) he has my thanks for massively stabilising the club at a time when it was most needed, putting us on sound footing, building a whole working team from scratch, and generally giving me one of the most fun seasons I've had watching Burnley — something that was needed desperately after a few years of grinding our way through games with a focus on not losing. Hope he's here for another season, but love the bloke either way.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:55 pm

If Vinny does go he'll go with my best wishes, however he'd be a gamble for either Chelsea or Spurs given he's yet to manage a PL game.

Yes he's done extremely well in his 1st season in English football, but he is still learning his trade let's not forget.

On paper both the London giants are definitely a step up from Burnley, however both have issues, Chelsea are still transitioning after the RA era, and Spurs will almost certainly lose Harry Kane this summer.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 pm

Not a chance, he will give us at least the next two seasons possibly more.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:04 pm

No way is he going to Chelsea, he's already signed for Spurs, APPARENTLY :o :o :lol: :lol:

https://theboyhotspur.com/all-sorted-be ... t-the-job/

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:11 pm

Pep will be gone soon enough, prolly after next season

Vinny will surely wanna see where this team he has built from next to nothing will take him

Well have him for at least 1 pl season I'd say

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:15 pm

beddie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 pm
Your in cuckoo land if you think he’s going to leave, not a chance, he will give us at least the next two seasons possibly more.
I hope you're right. But suggesting that anyone who thinks it's a possibility is living in cloud-cuckoo-land because there's no chance of it happening is extreme language. If, and it does feel like a big if, Chelsea or Spurs offered him the job it would present a massive opportunity for an ambitious manager. There are multiple examples of where such an offer and opportunity proves almost impossible to turn down because they don't know if such an opportunity will arise again in the future. To dismiss it out of hand feels naive. I'm not saying it will happen, but flatly rejecting it feels more strange that thinking it's plausible.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:16 pm

beddie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 pm
Not a chance, he will give us at least the next two seasons possibly more.
Quite agree. He came to Burnley to be part of the project. I expect he will see out his current contract and then dovetail with Pep stepping down at City from there; having been heavy involved and gaining experience of every aspect of a club in the top league with him to City.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:21 pm

VK won't be on it, he's over 6ft, too tall.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:45 pm

The thing is, if VK really wants to stay, when next asked the question by the media, why not simply say ‘I’m not interested in the Spurs or Chelsea jobs at this time?’ I can’t remember the exact words VK used last time he was asked, but it was a clever response that basically left his options open.

I will reiterate my feeling that I think VK will stay, and whilst he’s right to keep his options open, I also feel it’s right and proper that we have clarity as soon as possible moving forward because otherwise the reports and questions will continue. I do appreciate that the media purposely fan this sort of story, but as I say, a simple ‘I’m staying’ surely ends the speculation?

Until then, looking forward to the game tomorrow and hopefully a title to celebrate tomorrow night! UTC
This user liked this post: JellyBaby

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:13 pm

Ampth7 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:45 pm
The thing is, if VK really wants to stay, when next asked the question by the media, why not simply say ‘I’m not interested in the Spurs or Chelsea jobs at this time?’
Because if he says a straight no when a job he isn't interested in comes up, then when a job comes up that he is interested in, his non-committal response would be correctly understood as a yes.

Besides, what manager is going to say he's not interested in Spurs or Chelsea without even talking to them?
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:19 am

Being open to new ideas, scenarios and information and adapting to it is probably one of the traits that makes him a good manager. Probably why other clubs are looking at him, and why he's probably already spoken to other clubs. He'd be foolish not to speak to them and also foolish to state in absolute terms that he's staying.

Speaking to those clubs might just provide him with more information that he's currently in the right job for his stage of development.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:47 am

Being answerable, to someone who understands nothing about your role, is probably the least attractive job option going.
I camt see anyone already employed leaving their job, to work for the basket case that is Chelsea.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:45 am

They tried a young manager from the Championship and that didn’t work

They tried a young manager from the prem and that didn’t work

So the only logical thing for Chelsea to do is either give it to a big foreign name…….or Mourinho

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:01 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:13 pm
Because if he says a straight no when a job he isn't interested in comes up, then when a job comes up that he is interested in, his non-committal response would be correctly understood as a yes.

Besides, what manager is going to say he's not interested in Spurs or Chelsea without even talking to them?
Yes, fair points well made. However, I’m sure discussions have now taken place with those clubs, so a decision now needs to be made ASAP.

BobSykes
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by BobSykes » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:42 am

Main story in The Times sport section today is the Chelsea job and Kompany's surprise inclusion on the shortlist takes up the bulk of the article. Martin Samuel's piece in the paper also reports it as fact. This isn't the Sunday Sport or Twitter so there must be something in this.

Taken with his own surprisingly non committal comments one can't help feeling there is something in all this speculation. Whilst not entirely surprising it is rather threatening to take the shine off our fantastic achievements, and what could be a special day for our club today.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:44 am

Chelsea have form for this type of thing, and it doesn’t end well

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 am

End of the day, its Chelsea, and despite the fact they are a club whose success was built on a war criminals money, they are still one of the biggest clubs in the country

I think its too early for him, but at the same time its a fantastic opportunity that a very ambitious and driven person would be bound to consider

He'd have the huge advantage over Potter of being Vincent Kompany as well, which would be a huge plus in that dressing room (or both dressing rooms with the amount of players they have)

Rather more annoyingly, it would make me like Chelsea a bit if he goes

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:57 am

Suspect Chelsea would be a bit like Anderlecht for him. He would improve them from a low base but very hard for him to hit the heights to which they think they are entitled given he would only be given a short period of grace.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:00 am

If Kompany was to go to Chelsea it would be a good time for him to do so specifically in the sense of how poorly Chelsea have performed this season relative to expectations. That alone we give him more time than normal to build.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am

He’d have a great chance of succeeding at Chelsea, more so than Spurs.

I sincerely hope it’s just paper talk because there’s not a cat in hells chance he could turn down Chelsea if they made an approach.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:03 am

"Or is it again that Todd Boehly has seen something shiny and that everyone is talking about him and thought 'let's go for him'?

Nigel Reo-Coker hit the nail on the head last night with this zinger

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 am

Just a thought tho……….wouldn’t his eventual appointment after Pep be a bit like Moyes taking over from Ferguson……………how could VK materially improve City?……………potential poisoned chalice………

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:22 am

I find it utterly bizarre that after one excellent season he'd be considered for either Spurs or Chelsea, but that's football.

If he goes, he goes. Suspect its basically a question of him going this summer or next anyway and you can certainly see why he would regard the risk associated with either job as less than the risk of having a relegation on his CV next season. Whatever we do thos summer we'll be amongst the 5 clubs most likely to drop next season when it kicks off.

What we can't do is chase after keeping him at all costs. We just can't afford to throw money at it however good a manager he is. And if it is to happen best to get it all sorted now and avoid too much time disruption to our summer plans.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:33 am

Chelsea /Spurs coming to terms with reality not the big boys anymore Newcastle have joined in

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:22 am
I find it utterly bizarre that after one excellent season he'd be considered for either Spurs or Chelsea, but that's football.

If he goes, he goes. Suspect its basically a question of him going this summer or next anyway and you can certainly see why he would regard the risk associated with either job as less than the risk of having a relegation on his CV next season. Whatever we do thos summer we'll be amongst the 5 clubs most likely to drop next season when it kicks off.

What we can't do is chase after keeping him at all costs. We just can't afford to throw money at it however good a manager he is. And if it is to happen best to get it all sorted now and avoid too much time disruption to our summer plans.
If he does go now our summer plans are totally disrupted to say the very least

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:37 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:03 am
"Or is it again that Todd Boehly has seen something shiny and that everyone is talking about him and thought 'let's go for him'?

Nigel Reo-Coker hit the nail on the head last night with this zinger
I don’t think that VK would be too happy having Todd coming in to the dressing room at half time to give everyone an American style bollocking!! 😂
Also, surely Chekski are now limited in what they can spend on new players? I mean, they’ve just spunked £650 million quid up the wall in one go and whilst I’m no financial expert, surely they can’t have another £300 million quid to spend which is what they probably need to buy a world class striker, a keeper plus whatever else they now need?

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:38 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 am
Which is why this needs resolving ASAP.

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 am

The original source for this speculation seems to be from a Chelsea fans twitter account, who looking at his profile photo looks to be about 16 and working on a laptop at home. OK, he does have a lot of followers, but that doesn't mean a great deal these days.

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:41 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:22 am

That is football indeed! Clubs like Chelsea and Spurs are so poorly run in terms of their recruitment of both players and managers. No real planning or strategy, just throw money at it and sack the manager at the first sign of trouble. Absolute shambles the pair of them!

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:42 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 am
Of course. But that will be the case any summer we lose a manager - given the model we now have involves turning over players for a profit. So it's bringing forward the inevitable.

The trick is to have the infrastructure in place behind the scenes to make it as smooth as possible and you'd hope we have plans and options in place should we lose VK.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:47 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:42 am
Of course. But that will be the case any Sumner we lose a manager - given the model we now have involves turning over players for a profit. So it's bringing forward the inevitable.

The trick is to have the infrastructure in place behind the scenes to make it as smooth as possible and you'd hope we have plans and options in place should we lose VK.
I do agree with you Spice, but so many of our signings this season, and presumably in this forthcoming close season, seem attracted by Kompany personally as much as by the club itself. How many would have signed for 'A.N.Other's Burnley' as opposed to 'Vincent Kompany's Burnley' ?

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:50 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:47 am
I do agree with you Spice, but so many of our signings this season, and presumably in this forthcoming close season, seem attracted by Kompany personally as much as by the club itself. How many would have signed for 'A.N.Other's Burnley' as opposed to 'Vincent Kompany's Burnley' ?
I don't know, but unless they also believe in magic beans, they'll have fully understood the likelihood that VK wouldn't be at Burnley more than a couple of years and that success would accelerate that possible departure. The players like playing for VK but they like playing with each other too.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:42 am
Of course. But that will be the case any summer we lose a manager - given the model we now have involves turning over players for a profit. So it's bringing forward the inevitable.

I do worry slightly that the success this season was a tad unexpected and that everything isn't in place for the inevitable leaving of the manager

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:52 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 am
I do worry slightly that the success this season was a tad unexpected and that everything isn't in place for the inevitable leaving of the manager
Perhaps. But the risk must have been obvious since Christmas so I'd like to think the planning started then. Even if Chelsea and Spurs knocking is a surprise, the possibility that even a promising season attracted someone like West Ham or Leicester cannot be.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:56 am

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/16 ... 7164157959

Poch considered the front runner (almost certainly no movement from last nights stories)

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am

Poch seems more suited, given he’s worked for an elite level club and managed some big egos

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:01 am

Lets hope Chelsea get this resolved this weekend with Poccettino. This, even with no legs, is unsettling to the Board, the fans, and VK himself

If however the mighty Spurs & Chelsea have been looking at him then that's an indication of how sought after he will be. Lets hope if he stays we do well in the PL , but not that well (enough to stay up)

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:03 am

Poch will and should be well ahead of VK right now. So hopefully the two parties can agree. Seems like complete denial or wishful thinking from some people that Kompany wouldn't at least be interested in a move to such a big club if the opportunity was there.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:10 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:03 am
Poch will and should be well ahead of VK right now. So hopefully the two parties can agree. Seems like complete denial or wishful thinking from some people that Kompany wouldn't at least be interested in a move to such a big club if the opportunity was there.
It’s an interesting one. I’m not in the ‘he’d 100% go there’ or the ‘he’d 100% not leave us’ camp. I personally don’t think it’s a great look on him to leave us after a year after convincing so many players to come here, talking about long projects, many joining from overseas - we have 18 year old Belgian Enock Agyei joining us in a few months, due (only) to Kompany. I thought Beale was a joke for doing the same (well, similar) from QPR to Rangers earlier in the season, and look at them since he did that.

On the other hand, Burnley -> Chelsea, no one can surely be naive enough to think it wouldn’t be of some interest. At the same time, he’s City through and through, would he have a major desire to join a major rival? Or rather challenge himself with us and work towards being Pep’s replacement. Also he’s said many times lately he doesn’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for that job yet, I do wonder if he will feel these top jobs are too soon.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:10 am
It’s an interesting one. I’m not in the ‘he’d 100% go there’ or the ‘he’d 100% not leave us’ camp. I personally don’t think it’s a great look on him to leave us after a year after convincing so many players to come here, talking about long projects, many joining from overseas - we have 18 year old Belgian Enock Agyei joining us in a few months, due (only) to Kompany. I thought Beale was a joke for doing the same (well, similar) from QPR to Rangers earlier in the season, and look at them since he did that.

On the other hand, Burnley -> Chelsea, no one can surely be naive enough to think it wouldn’t be of some interest. At the same time, he’s City through and through, would he have a major desire to join a major rival? Or rather challenge himself with us and work towards being Pep’s replacement. Also he’s said many times lately he doesn’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for that job yet, I do wonder if he will feel these top jobs are too soon.
I would imagine he'd have a chat with Pep about stuff like this

The worry is that Kompany is clearly both highly driven and very confident in his own abilities, and has been a world class player

He's unlikely to think the job is too big for him at this stage, and he might well be right

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:34 am

All these ‘if Chelsea, Spurs, whoever else comes knocking he can’t turn it down’ type comments completely ignore what Kompany himself may want to do.

I’m certainly not suggesting that he definitely wouldn’t move on now, but Kompany doesn’t strike me as the sort of person that would jump ship quite so readily.

His career has pretty much been built on loyalty and longevity with the clubs that he has served (and has an affinity with, which perhaps puts us down the pecking order a little).

He’s an obviously intelligent bloke who himself has said that he signed up to a four or five year plan with us. I’m not for a minute saying that he will see out that plan but I do think that it will play a part in his thinking as well as forming a part of his longer term aims.

I’d guess that jumping ship so soon, without building his experience to give him the best chance of bigger successes in the future, isn’t in his thinking.

This may not age well but right now, I think he will stay for at least another season.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 am

One point not discussed a great deal on here is that Kompany has only really had two clubs - Anderlecht & City. He seems a loyal type to me and hopefully he’s settled and wants to lead our project.

I can see him being interested in either Spurs or Chelsea, but it’d be a real shame for the PL in my view. I want to see the PL with the best managers in the world. Spurs and Chelsea can attract your Nagelsmann’s and Pochettino’s, whereas we can’t. Would be great to see the best young managers like Kompany, Frank, et al at the smaller clubs, learning their trade against those big hitters. Potter is a good example of where poaching doesn’t really pay off and detriments the whole league.

As for the other managerial positions, I’d love to see the likes of Enrique, Zidane, Mourinho (busted flush maybe?) in the PL next year.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:10 pm

After today you have to question whether the players know something we don’t…

Mrpotatohead
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Mrpotatohead » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:12 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:10 pm
Why?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 6767 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:48 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:10 pm

21 efforts on goal, looks like we were trying but just not good enough up front.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:57 pm

After today both Chelsea and Tottenham short lists just got a little shorter.

UTC
This user liked this post: Royboyclaret

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:02 pm

I doubt Chelsea and Spurs will judge whether to appoint VK on the strength of 1 game.

Although our recent poor run does demonstrate that VK still has lots to learn before he can be considered anywhere near the finished article.

Hardly surprisingly though when you consider it's his 1st full season managing in England.