Adam Wharton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Re: Adam Wharton

Post by boyyanno » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:40 pm

bumba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:51 am
He's a very good midfielder who is already as good as Brownhill and one I'd have in our starting 11 over Brownhill or Cork right now regardless of age.
I'm preying he leaves in the summer because he'll be the best midfielder in the league next season
He's better than Brownhill who was nominated for the Championship player of the season? I'll have what you're smoking.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:41 pm

Lets get some things into perspective, Wharton looks to be a talented young player. However on Tuesday he scored no goals, and created no good goalscoring chances so his only impact on the game was he looked good. Now compare that with the impact Benny had when he came on.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Accrington claret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:50 pm

Chuck a bid in of 3m see if he fancies playing for a proper club
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 pm

bumba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:25 pm
Seen him play quite a bit this season and he's very very good, there was 30 scouts watching him against Coventry. Are they all wrong too? This lad will go to the top.
As for your first comments like another thread your making stuff up again, where did I say he was better than Brownhill and Cork right now?? Or did I say he should be in our team right now??
I said he's as good as Brownhill which he is and that I'd have him in our starting 11 over either of them. You twist words and opinions, read them properly.
How many championship games did Brownhill start at 18?
I'd imagine his gaffer is easing him in it's a tough league.
How many times have you seen him play to go against what my opinion is?
Brownhill never got near him Tuesday he ran the game for 65 minutes at 18 years old!!
Making stuff up ?

What else does “ have in our starting 11 over Brownhill or Cork right now regardless of age’ mean if it’s not than you think he’s better than Brownhill or Cork ?
How is that twisting your words ?

I said he’d had a decent game on Tuesday - against a side that understandably are not at the level they were before promotion. I’ve watched Blackburn plenty of times this year and he’s been ok in a bang average side that have lost as many games as Rotherham who sit just above the relegation zone. You say that Brownhill never got near him and he ‘ran the game’ for 65 minutes. How can somebody run a game for a team that hardly created a chance all night ? If he was as good as you are saying his age is irrelevant - in a side that has so many limitations in quality he would be playing every week and ‘running the game” surely as if he can do it against the best team in the league he’d be like Zidane against some of the dross we have battered this season.

Maybe stick to watching reruns of Mike Bassett eh rather than looking for an argument because you were made to look a fool on the other thread.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:37 pm

bumba wrote:
Seen him play quite a bit this season and he's very very good, there was 30 scouts watching him against Coventry. Are they all wrong too? This lad will go to the top.
As for your first comments like another thread your making stuff up again, where did I say he was better than Brownhill and Cork right now?? Or did I say he should be in our team right now??
I said he's as good as Brownhill which he is and that I'd have him in our starting 11 over either of them. You twist words and opinions, read them properly.
How many championship games did Brownhill start at 18?
I'd imagine his gaffer is easing him in it's a tough league.
How many times have you seen him play to go against what my opinion is?
Brownhill never got near him Tuesday he ran the game for 65 minutes at 18 years old!!
Making stuff up is pretty much default.
This user liked this post: bumba

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:11 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:41 pm
Lets get some things into perspective, Wharton looks to be a talented young player. However on Tuesday he scored no goals, and created no good goalscoring chances so his only impact on the game was he looked good. Now compare that with the impact Benny had when he came on.
Cullen doesn't create chances, hlWharton ran the game, the tempo everything

bumba

Post by bumba » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:11 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:40 pm
He's better than Brownhill who was nominated for the Championship player of the season? I'll have what you're smoking.
Do you think Brownhill deserved it? He isn't even going to be the clubs player of the year

bumba

Post by bumba » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:18 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 pm
Making stuff up ?

What else does “ have in our starting 11 over Brownhill or Cork right now regardless of age’ mean if it’s not than you think he’s better than Brownhill or Cork ?
How is that twisting your words ?

I said he’d had a decent game on Tuesday - against a side that understandably are not at the level they were before promotion. I’ve watched Blackburn plenty of times this year and he’s been ok in a bang average side that have lost as many games as Rotherham who sit just above the relegation zone. You say that Brownhill never got near him and he ‘ran the game’ for 65 minutes. How can somebody run a game for a team that hardly created a chance all night ? If he was as good as you are saying his age is irrelevant - in a side that has so many limitations in quality he would be playing every week and ‘running the game” surely as if he can do it against the best team in the league he’d be like Zidane against some of the dross we have battered this season.

Maybe stick to watching reruns of Mike Bassett eh rather than looking for an argument because you were made to look a fool on the other thread.
Honestly you must be a 15 year old tool, you know nothing about football.
Mike Bassett this Mike Bassett that all because I dared say Ian Maatsen can't defend against better teams, pin point one game he defended well in against top teams. He was rubbish defensively Tuesday too. Most people I speak too agree.
18 year olds aren't as consistent due to their age and experience, I'll guarantee Wharton reaches a higher level than Brownhill, he'll be at a higher level before he's 21.
Saying I'd have him in our starting 11 is my opinion given the choice I never said he SHOULD be in our starting 11.
We've got some talent this season he's younger than the lot, just because he plays for that lot doesn't mean we can't appreciate how talented he is.
He's the best under 21 in the championship

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:34 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm
To be honest I don't think you do so bad yourself in that department, it's most be a rarity exchanging views without abusive unfounded insults.
I hardly post on this board because of fruit loops like you. You should have been permanently banned a long time ago (and not just for your grammar and punctuation)
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:38 pm

bumba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:18 pm
Saying I'd have him in our starting 11 is my opinion given the choice I never said he SHOULD be in our starting 11.
No words necessary

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:40 pm

Corky has had a good career and played in the PL for most of it - At 18 he was on loan at Scunthorpe United in League one and played 34 games with two goals.. he then progressed to a few Championship loans then obviously at us in the Prem, before another season long loan whilst we were in the Champ, then obviously signed for Southampton in 2011, won promotion and spent all of his career till this season in the Prem.

Brownhill was playing youth team football for PNE who were in the third tier, eventually he broke through in the third tier then got his move to Bristol - signed for us a little bit later on aged 24 in the Prem.

Midfield is one of the hardest positions on the park to fully master and it's rare to see young centre midfielders making an impact; the big thing with young players is consistency and that's why you can get away with a young winger or striker having a bit of an off day because it's not going to be totally disastrous for the team...

...That being said, it's fair to say Wharton, for being - 18 playing in a very fierce Derby with all that was at stake did extremely well.

Did he fade? Yeah...
Was he their best player? Yeah - comfortably
Will he be playing his trade in the PL? - going off similar players' trajectories.. probably - but a good full season for Rovers next year for him in the Champ will do him wonders.

Not bothering with the Maatsen stuff, he was great on Tuesday night and covers a hell of a lot of the football field. Will be another star

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:42 pm

bumba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:11 pm
Do you think Brownhill deserved it? He isn't even going to be the clubs player of the year
Be quite difficult naming one player of the year given the performances by the players this season.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:41 pm
It's a good job the majority of the posters don't seem to listen to you then isn't it, it's easier for me to humour you I tolerate you nothing more nothing less!
Love it when you speak on behalf of the rest of the posters in your little deluded bigoted world. Are you completely oblivious as what everyone on the board think about you and your views ?
When you eventually buy yourself a dictionary you might one to look up the word “tolerate”. You’ll then realise it’s not one of your obvious characteristics.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Can’t we all just agree to disagree and enjoy being champions? After all, we are all Burnley fans aren’t we?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:50 pm

bumba wrote:
I don't think Brownhill is the best player at our club no, nor do I believe he is the best player in the championship. But he's obviously one of them hence why he was in the vote. Wharton was nowhere near it because as of yet he's nowhere near that level.

I just find it strange to say you'd replace someone who has been one of the best players in the league for an unproven 18 year old who hasn't actually done anything that impressive. I actually showed one of my Rovers supporting mates and he said he'd swap Wharton and about 3 of theirs for Brownhill, Cork or Cullen.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:52 pm

bumba wrote:

This is just nonsense though isn't it.

He's got potential but come on, anyone can look good for a few games here and there, it's the consistency which you need.

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:23 pm

bumba wrote:
Cullen doesn't create chances, hlWharton ran the game, the tempo everything
Just looking back to see where I mentioned Cullen, still can not see it. Wharton had a decent game but created nothing.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:37 pm

Lads a baller.
He will have a very good career ( hopefully not at Blackburn).

Jacob Rees Dogg
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Jacob Rees Dogg » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:51 pm

bumba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:18 pm
Honestly you must be a 15 year old tool, you know nothing about football.
Mike Bassett this Mike Bassett that all because I dared say Ian Maatsen can't defend against better teams, pin point one game he defended well in against top teams. He was rubbish defensively Tuesday too. Most people I speak too agree.
18 year olds aren't as consistent due to their age and experience, I'll guarantee Wharton reaches a higher level than Brownhill, he'll be at a higher level before he's 21.
We've got some talent this season he's younger than the lot, just because he plays for that lot doesn't mean we can't appreciate how talented he is.
He's the best under 21 in the championship
Alex Scott is the best under 21 in the championship.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:55 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:41 pm
It's a good job the majority of the posters don't seem to listen to you then isn't it, it's easier for me to humour you I tolerate you nothing more nothing less!
Seriously?

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:00 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:42 pm
Be quite difficult naming one player of the year given the performances by the players this season.
Absolutely! I really wouldn't know where to start.

His stats reveal nothing because of his position but Josh Cullen has been superb and is one of the lads who's played the most. Really hope he can step up a level next season.

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:07 pm

Jacob Rees Dogg wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:51 pm
Decent pundit as well.
This user liked this post: Jacob Rees Dogg

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:52 pm

An unpopular opinion but obviously shared by others outside of the club with his player of the year nomination, I actually think Brownhill could be the best centre midfielder in the championship, maybe apart from Berge maybe. He's played a slightly more advanced role at times, almost playing as a centre midfielder in the hole spot. He breaks down play and wins the second balls incredibly well, technically may not be as cute as Cullen at passing but, can score as he showed at the start of the season and just as importantly adds energy and more tempo to the midfield line.
I'm not sure I've seen any better centre midfielders all season than Brownhill and the stats when he hasn't played for us this season speak for themselves.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:21 pm

I'm not sure many professional players would put personal and family allegiance before their career progression. At this time a move to Burnley would benefit Wharton if he was good enough :D

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:35 pm

Wharton is a good prospect. Is he any better than Richard Chaplow was when he broke on the scene?. The way they swagger / carry themselves / socks down etc…. he did remind me of him however Chaplow was box to box and impacted games with goals

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am

Bigbopper wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:23 pm
Just looking back to see where I mentioned Cullen, still can not see it. Wharton had a decent game but created nothing.
I'm making a point that creating chances isn't just what equals a good game. Cullen plays well every week but not for creating chances he makes us tick similar to Wharton's job for that lot

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am

Jacob Rees Dogg wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:51 pm
Agree to disagree
This user liked this post: Jacob Rees Dogg

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by watsonsclarets » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:49 am

I have watched Wharton over 10 times he has managed to improve or change his ways a little his spatial awareness and ability to play through lines is different to what we have lacks a bit of physicality a times. He different to what we have Cullen is a shuttler an option always on the ball but he doesn’t have the vision Wharton does playing forward and Brownhill a high energy hybrid type but doesn’t have any outstanding attribute to take him to the top but a very good player.

Who will play higher for longer I would suggest a Wharton will if he sorts his attitude out no doubt he can find space and use his body in tight areas to get out of trouble and has vision to open sides up at our level for me now and has that bit of star quality potential If he improved without the ball he have a very good career at the higher echelons.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 am

Watched some of the Millwall game last night (for kicks and giggles) and Wharton had a great game.
Apparently Newcastle are looking at him.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 9:31 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:52 pm
Here comes the resident nut job racist right wing bigot.
Keep your beak out if you have nothing to say about the actual thread topic - it’s not mandatory that you have to chip in with your fruit loop posts and ruin every thread.
I get that a few might have thick heads, but there is no call for the first sentence. It’s not so long ago that statements like this posted on a Blackpool board and you’d have been hearing from Oysten’s solicitors without a doubt…
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 am

thought Rovers attitude yesterday was 1st class - 3-1 down at half time, away from home at a hostile place against a team that HAD to win and other results not particularly going the right way and they produce that 2nd half - could have easily chucked the towel in and thought about being on the beach later this week but fair play - and 2 goals from a guy thats already signed a pre contract deal with another team. Obviously massive disappointment to finish 7th but plenty to take from that 2nd half - thought obviously VK, Rovers and Preston with the resources have had fantastic seasons and a penny for Alex Neills thoughts this morning, yes the bank balance might be slightly better than at Sunderland but wow

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:12 am

kenyon6923 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 am
thought Rovers attitude yesterday was 1st class - 3-1 down at half time, away from home at a hostile place against a team that HAD to win and other results not particularly going the right way and they produce that 2nd half - could have easily chucked the towel in and thought about being on the beach later this week but fair play - and 2 goals from a guy thats already signed a pre contract deal with another team. Obviously massive disappointment to finish 7th but plenty to take from that 2nd half - thought obviously VK, Rovers and Preston with the resources have had fantastic seasons and a penny for Alex Neills thoughts this morning, yes the bank balance might be slightly better than at Sunderland but wow
A simpler explanation is that Millwall just bottled it.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:18 am

kenyon6923 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 am
I hadnt given their performance that much thought given what was going on at our own club yesterday...

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am

Cooclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:31 am
I get that a few might have thick heads, but there is no call for the first sentence. It’s not so long ago that statements like this posted on a Blackpool board and you’d have been hearing from Oysten’s solicitors without a doubt…
Bring it on.
I have a few years worth of evidence and thousands of posts.
In fact I’d love it.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 11:01 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am
Bring it on.
I have a few years worth of evidence and thousands of posts.
In fact I’d love it.
That’s a serious answer? Christ on a bike.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 am

Cooclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:01 am
That’s a serious answer? Christ on a bike.
Don’t raise the point you did then if you don’t want a response
Have you any idea of the stuff this guy has posted for the last few years ?
You might be ok with the vile he posts - I ain’t.
Not really sure what your point is here.

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:33 pm

joey13 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:12 am
A simpler explanation is that Millwall just bottled it.
?? 87th minute - you know your not making play off's as Sunderland were 3 nil up at Preston and the guy that's been leaving since signing for Villarreal in January - wins ball on half way and is there back stick to tap winner home - think that's going to the end and the half time pep talk apparently was do it for the travelling fans - fair play.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:48 pm

kenyon6923 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:33 pm
?? 87th minute - you know your not making play off's as Sunderland were 3 nil up at Preston and the guy that's been leaving since signing for Villarreal in January - wins ball on half way and is there back stick to tap winner home - think that's going to the end and the half time pep talk apparently was do it for the travelling fans - fair play.
Are you actually a Burnley fan ?

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 12:55 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 am
Don’t raise the point you did then if you don’t want a response
Have you any idea of the stuff this guy has posted for the last few years ?
You might be ok with the vile he posts - I ain’t.
Not really sure what your point is here.
My point is that by making accusations (rightly or wrongly) you’re potentially placing the moderators of the board in a very difficult position. To me you come across rather brashly and aggressively at times and can feel intimidating. You let first sentence is an example of that.

If I am not okay with the views of some posters I’d take advantage of the ‘foe’ button so I wouldn’t need to see the posts of those posters I disagree with.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Tue May 09, 2023 1:22 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 am
He wouldn't want to play for Burnley. Although now I think about it, the Claret, Kevin Hird played for Blackburn, and we were on the point of signing a Blackburn fan from Sheff U, then Heath left and Waddle didn't want him.
Keith Newton was an amazing player for us

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue May 09, 2023 3:12 pm

Spike wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:22 pm
Keith Newton was an amazing player for us
Keith Newton wasn't a Blackburn fan, though. What a player he was.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 3:37 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:55 pm
My point is that by making accusations (rightly or wrongly) you’re potentially placing the moderators of the board in a very difficult position. To me you come across rather brashly and aggressively at times and can feel intimidating. You let first sentence is an example of that.

If I am not okay with the views of some posters I’d take advantage of the ‘foe’ button so I wouldn’t need to see the posts of those posters I disagree with.
That’s the problem with looking at one post in isolation as you have done. For some reason you also thought it was a post made after celebrating last yesterday.
You are entitled to your opinion…..I have no idea who you are and I won’t make any comments judging your character from a couple of posts I have read like you seem to have done with me. I honestly don’t care and as I have said on this thread I go on the board much less because not only is the poster I referred to as I quite crudely described he also has a tendency to deliberately ruin every thread with his bigoted views.

As for the moderators whilst I appreciate they can have a difficult job on this board as I said I am pretty comfortable with my posts given the history of his comments. I am by a long way not the only poster who has the same view of him. Rather than worry that I may be facing some kind of libel case I’d be more concerned that he has not been permanently banned from this board like he should have been a long time ago.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 3:49 pm

Cooclaret wrote:

BIG FAN of the foe button here ;)

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 3:54 pm

Cooclaret wrote:

If posters concentrated on their own conduct & behaviour this messageboard would flow friction free instead of constant disagreements, digs & grudges & character slurs, back on topic I think Wharton will stay for another season amid Newcastle interest if JDT can persuade him it's best for his development.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 09, 2023 4:03 pm

we should lodge a bid just to annoy them