JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Re: JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:32 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:21 am
There's something exceptionally hollow about it all. JJ Watt going on American TV Shows, doing the same patter. Its novelty seeing random actors or American sports stars wearing the Burnley clobber, but we’ll be paying these people to wear them.

On the back of it all are we selling more merchandise, do we have more international fans subscribing to ClaretsPlayer?

I suppose that is what modern football is now though.
Strong League of Gentlemen vibe here!
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera JohnDearyMe

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2252 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:34 am

There's something exceptionally hollow about it all. JJ Watt going on American TV Shows, doing the same patter. Its novelty seeing random actors or American sports stars wearing the Burnley clobber, but we’ll be paying these people to wear them.

On the back of it all are we selling more merchandise, do we have more international fans subscribing to ClaretsPlayer?

We need a dis like or a can't win button to press on here
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera KateR

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:37 am

He’s a personable guy and a very likeable character . It’s also good to see an investor “ put a bit back “ But let’s not forget he’s an investor and pretty much doing his job by putting us “ out there “ . While the “ bene n hot “ and “ no nay never “ cliches are getting a little worn id sooner have this type of guy than some faceless Arab billionaire any day.

Ps is that actually bene n hot they’re drinking ???
Last edited by AlargeClaret on Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:37 am

Quite a miserable summation. Club can’t win - we have a charismatic sportsman on board who, to me, is doing anything but parroting tired cliches, but has actually took the time to visit the town and learn about the club and its history, spreading the word about us, helping to at least dilute the usual tropes about the town and its habitants, and it’s still not enough.
These 4 users liked this post: mkmel Steve-Harpers-perm Juan Tanamera JohnDearyMe

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:40 am

I think you’ll be in a minority of one, Claptrappers. Just a pity they were sampling a cocktail of Bene and brandy rather than the real thing
This user liked this post: KateR

Passing Clouds
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by Passing Clouds » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:43 am

Interesting point about them getting paid to promote Burnley (or if that was part of their investment deal).

Maybe it was, but they do seem genuinely engaged and enthusiastic about the club.

Quantitying the return is pretty impossible, but they have landed some very high profile exposure.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:47 am

You seriously think we are paying JJ Watt or anybody else to be wearing a Burnley shirt or cap ? Have you any idea how rich and famous these guys are ?

JJ Watt is one of the biggest sports stars in the world and he is giving us free exposure on TV programmes which dwarf any thing in this country with viewing numbers - and everything he says about the club, the town and its people is positive.

Not really sure how anyone can find something negative to say about what he is doing.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:02 am

The Watts are pushing the Burnley brand in the USA because it will eventually benefit them if it’s successfully done

They’re good people but they’re clearly very aware of what growth the club can achieve in the right areas with the right help

I’ve said it before, the USA has huge potential for English clubs and not many of the smaller ones have tried to get footholds in it

We won’t know what the increase in revenue streams will be for a year or so but there will some

They know all these people, they’re handing out shirts and because of the positive brand/social media activity we now have, these people are happy enough to wear our shirts

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:15 am

Guitargeorge wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:40 am
... Just a pity they were sampling a cocktail of Bene and brandy rather than the real thing
indeed, he also gets it wrong that it was post WW1 not WW2 that the drink came back to the town - its forgivable because he has tried to cram in a lot of history in a short time, and is extremely likeable - but if you are there emphasising a particular local quirk then it is important to get the two basic elements of the story right and that is without going into the detail of how the troops came across Benedictine in the first place

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:19 am

It’s nice to have our tale told on big shows - if the layman can understand that there’s more than 5 or so teams in England then that’s a good start.

On viewing numbers - there’s a bit to that but it’s more giving personality and a reason to support a team… Global viewing numbers for a PL game is astronomical, we’re just now trying to market our team rather than just turning up and competing.

We should have always done that btw - yeah we don’t have the ‘glitz and glam’ of the top sides but there’s something there for the purists across the globe and those that fancy an underdog.

No qualms at all with what JJ and Kealia are doing infact it’s welcomed.
This user liked this post: KateR

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:23 am

I like JJ Watt, have done since before his involvement with the club. I see no need to be as cynical as CTU but I'm very much in the camp that says that any actual impact from his promotion is likely to be absolutely minimal.

Would you start supporting the Houston Texans if Robbie Blake started talking them up? If not what is it about Americans that is so different to you?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:34 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:23 am
I like JJ Watt, have done since before his involvement with the club. I see no need to be as cynical as CTU but I'm very much in the camp that says that any actual impact from his promotion is likely to be absolutely minimal.

Would you start supporting the Houston Texans if Robbie Blake started talking them up? If not what is it about Americans that is so different to you?
I think some people will definitely ‘buy merch’ and maybe fall in love with the team if they’re looking for a team to support and their favourite player / legend of Houston is bigging one up….

I started supporting the Dolphins in 2003 because of Ace Ventura (and because I like the colours)

I think if Robbie Blake would have become a minority investor into the Arizona Cardinals and I was looking for a team I’d probably have gone with them given enough promotion 🤷‍♂️

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:44 am

The authenticity of JJ Watt in all this comes from his own small town origins - he appears to recognise so much that is familiar to his own history.

I have been banging on about the the Wisconsin thing and its parallels to Burnley for years - JJ Watt seems (in my eyes at least) to be a bit of a manifestation of that

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:45 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:23 am

IMG_1040.png
IMG_1040.png (235.75 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
An average per game and they’re going to increase year on year

Why wouldn’t anyone want to try and tap this market to increase revenue streams?

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:47 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:34 am
I think some people will definitely ‘buy merch’ and maybe fall in love with the team if they’re looking for a team to support and their favourite player / legend of Houston is bigging one up….

I started supporting the Dolphins in 2003 because of Ace Ventura (and because I like the colours)

I think if Robbie Blake would have become a minority investor into the Arizona Cardinals and I was looking for a team I’d probably have gone with them given enough promotion 🤷‍♂️
An old American colleague of mine form my time in Thailand has started following us as a result of seeing an interview with JJ, he now messages me every game day and we have a chat about the game. He is genuinely following us as a result….even asked me to send him a shirt across for him!
This user liked this post: Falcon

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:55 pm

The takeover thread is discussing £88 million additional investment in Kettering Capital and Calder Vale. We all know that Alan Pace/ALK plan was to bring in new investors, via Velocity Sports Partners LLC. Vincent Kompany as the club's manager makes the club more investable. JJ Watt and Kealia Watt announcing their investment in the club and generating great publicity for the club will make the club more attractive to investors - as well as maybe selling a few shirts and BFC baseball caps. Adding investors is the 'big prize' - it's what will enable the club to be more successful as a football team. Isn't one of the goals the club has to be playing in Europe again, maybe in 4 or 5 seasons time?

UTC

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:04 pm

I’m not having a go at JJ Watt. As an investor, he’s done great. But when you see some actor on a podcast wearing a Burnley shirt… I think - so what? They would’ve worn a Cambridge United shirt if there was a financial incentive to do so.

It just seems to pretend to me it’s all managed and controlled.

But that said. I don’t like what Premier League football is now. It’s not for me anymore. It’s for a different audience where that stuff matters. I’m only interested in what happens on the pitch. The social media stuff, the unveiling videos - it’s not for me. I saw an interview with James Trafford called Cap Cam. Imagine if Alan Partridge pitched that!

I saw some bozo called Spec or something on YouTube the other week saying he used to support Arsenal, but now he supports Burnley. He changed his club. They don’t get it. He was wearing a Rovers shirt only a few weeks earlier. What a knob.

I’m not interested in ‘content’

It’s a hollow and a shallow marketing exercise.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:08 pm

Amazes me how worked up people get, when the club tries to progress and do something positive.
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret KateR

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:52 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:04 pm
I’m not having a go at JJ Watt. As an investor, he’s done great. But when you see some actor on a podcast wearing a Burnley shirt… I think - so what? They would’ve worn a Cambridge United shirt if there was a financial incentive to do so.

It just seems to pretend to me it’s all managed and controlled.

But that said. I don’t like what Premier League football is now. It’s not for me anymore. It’s for a different audience where that stuff matters. I’m only interested in what happens on the pitch. The social media stuff, the unveiling videos - it’s not for me. I saw an interview with James Trafford called Cap Cam. Imagine if Alan Partridge pitched that!

I saw some bozo called Spec or something on YouTube the other week saying he used to support Arsenal, but now he supports Burnley. He changed his club. They don’t get it. He was wearing a Rovers shirt only a few weeks earlier. What a knob.

I’m not interested in ‘content’

None of it is aimed at you
You’re already an established/committed fan

They’re trying to capture those without a club

Getting numerous and random famous people in America to wear the shirt is about implanting the shirt into the mind of people

It’s 2023, using online content to attract fans is the norm

We can’t go out and buy the players who’re big on social media like other clubs may do, we have to grow the brand a different way

You can, and probably will, complain, but again non of this is aimed at you or others like you

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:52 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:04 pm

Welcome to 2023.

Unfortunately that’s the world (at least in UK/USA) these days, likes, shares, retweets, ‘content’, ‘brands’ & ’marketing’
Last edited by CoolClaret on Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:53 pm

If you aren’t into all that promotional stuff ignore it!
This user liked this post: NewClaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:52 pm
None of it is aimed at you
You’re already an established/committed fan

They’re trying to capture those without a club

Getting numerous and random famous people in America to wear the shirt is about implanting the shirt into the mind of people

It’s 2023, using online content to attract fans is the norm

We can’t go out and buy the players who’re big on social media like other clubs may do, we have to grow the brand a different way

You can, and probably will, complain, but again non of this is aimed at you or others like you
I said all that. I’ve accepted it’s not for me.

It’s like new episodes of The Simpsons. I have my Simpsons and the new generation have theirs.

I have my Burnley FC and I take what I like about it (like any football fan), those who buy into social media can like the YouTubers and their involvement.

I’m not complaining, I’m not getting worked up, or being negative - it’s just not authentic and it’s not something I’m really interested in.

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:35 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 pm

It’s like new episodes of The Simpsons. I have my Simpsons and the new generation have theirs.

I have my Burnley FC and I take what I like about it (like any football fan), those who buy into social media can like the YouTubers and their involvement.

I’m not complaining, I’m not getting worked up, or being negative - it’s just not authentic and it’s not something I’m really interested in.
Jeez, you’re just coming across like an old man.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:56 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 pm

If you’re not interested then why comment and sound like an old man shouting at clouds?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:16 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:56 pm
If you’re not interested then why comment and sound like an old man shouting at clouds?
Which, ironically, is what actually happens in his version of The Simpsons.
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc GodIsADeeJay81

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3195 times
Has Liked: 1875 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:41 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:16 pm
Which, ironically, is what actually happens in his version of The Simpsons.
Was thinking that myself

Some of the social media stuff I don’t get, like Dude Perfect but then again I appreciate it’s not all aimed at my generation

I think the stuff from JJ is great though. He’s obviously done his research and knows what he’s doing
Attachments
IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4464.jpeg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 789 times
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:39 pm

Slight faux-pas with World War 2 comment but I love his enthusiasm especially the point he makes about Premier and not Premeer League! :D