Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Re: Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:29 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:14 pm
Did you actually see any games last season?... Benson was very average from the start quite often and was dropped many times because of that when he was completely fit... He's a talent but if you think performing for 20 minutes at the end of a game against tired legs makes him our best player and a threat from the start of a game in the premiership, then you have not been watching him properly.
The new Bumba!

What a load of cobblers!

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Post by mkmel » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:31 pm

Rumours please guys!
These 2 users liked this post: LDNBFC87 theonlywayisup

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:35 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:18 pm
The point was his goal scoring indicates that he was a key player for us - and someone had to stick the ball in the back of the net…

It wasn’t to bash others in the squad and the comps with ZiZu to Lamps/Gerrard proves absolutely nothing. Different position for a start.

You’ve harped on about stats and underlying stats which are important but there’s on that you can’t quantify in the same way and that’s pressing ability and the ability to stretch the pitch.

Can you find any data anywhere about how many balls Tella nicked in transition to launch a counter attack vs Benson for example? Or how many sprints recorded per game, pressures on keeper etc etc

I don’t think posters want us to throw 20 mill at Tella, especially when we’ve already brought some widemen in… but say he was available for 15 and could be a key contributor in a pivotal season?… well I think fans have a right to question why we’d be happy to throw 14 mill on a young keeper (resale value aside) but not stretch a tiny bit to land someone that was pretty vital to our promotion last season, that also had unique qualities that are pretty hard to come by.

How many players have we had over the years that you could say have Tellas top end pace, fitness and finishing ability?
Zidane played a very similar position to Lampard and Gerrard for a lot of his career, he was an attack minded playmaker.

On FBRef Tellas interceptions, recoveries and tackles won were ahead of Benson, comparable to Zaroury (better on interceptions slightly, worse on tackles slightly, almost identical on ball recoveries). Sofascore has him ahead on tackles and interceptions per game, tied with Benson on possession won, marginally ahead of Zaroury.

Can't easily find free sprint or press stats. But for carries and duels/dribbles for every source Tella is the lowest on successful dribbles, carries, carry distance, carries into the final third, and ground and aerial duels won per 90, behind Benson on carries into the box, and worst for and dispossession per 90. He wins it more but he loses it more.

In my opinion we didn't need to shell out so much for Trafford either when we have other holes to fill, so I don't think that comparison matters.

Still not sure what's controversial about saying - Tellas good and I'd like to have him back at the right price, but he's not irreplaceable and I don't think he was our most important player so for the price touted I'd move on.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:41 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:27 am
If we could afford his wages I'd take Odoi over Tella.
I see Odoi mainly as a provider whereas Tella, although at a lower level, has shown goals and assists.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:41 pm

There is some very flawed logic on this thread.

Sarr only has a year left on his contract, hence the cheaper fee and Hudson Odoi is on a massive wage.

If Tella had less than a year on his contract or was on 120k a week then I'm sure the fee Saints want would be less. Whoever pulled out these comparisons is being a bit idiotic to be honest.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:44 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:30 am
This is also why I feel for Muric as I think from a club financial model POV Trafford is a locked on #1 for every game barring calamity. Muric has improved so much, really really impressed me (although I think part of it is also the defence in front of him, he looked shakier with THB which is why I wasn't clamouring for his return either) and the goalkeeper role wasn't one I felt in need of upgrading as much as other positions.

We aren't and will never be a club who can drop north of £14m for a backup keeper.
I’ll leave the decision to VK but if Muric keeps him out his own value is soaring. Trafford is looking so good, in the U21s, he would likely hold his value only playing cup games.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:46 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:41 pm

Sarr only has a year left on his contract, hence the cheaper fee and Hudson Odoi is on a massive wage.

If Tella had less than a year on his contract or was on 120k a week then I'm sure the fee Saints want would be less. Whoever pulled out these comparisons is being a bit idiotic to be honest.
The point is about what's on the market within our remaining budget, especially when we have other positions to fill, and how that expense would improve us. I certainly wouldn't complain if he returned, I'd be very pleased, I just think we have bigger priorities right now and would rather we focus our transfer efforts there assuming we only have so much budget left. If we were a club with the transfer pot for him at 15-18m, and a quality CDM and LB then sure, get him in at the price asked but I'd be shocked if we spend that much given our outlay already. You'd be looking at another 30-40m and I can't see us spending that even with sales.
If Maatsen signs an extension and becomes available for loan, or Gomez is loaned, or Lokonga, that changes. But I'd rather we aim for permanents rather than loans to avoid this same dilemma next year, if possible.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:46 pm

Tella’s game was far more than his goals and assists.
His pressing ability was unbelievable - better than any other player and this was fundamental to how we played and how we wore teams down.
Of course Benson and Zaroury were also brilliant - an not surprisingly with injuries, new country, young age etc they both had spells when they struggled for form. Tella was arguably more consistent than both of these players.

Personally I think we need Tella or a player of his type if we are going to play the pressing game I think VK will want to adopt.

Would love to see a starting line up of Tella, Benson, Zaroury and one other up front when the season starts. And all 3 are also great options to come off the bench and our bench is going to be as important next season as it was last year.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco CoolClaret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:49 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:35 pm
I think if we factored in pressures and sprints recorded/distance covered we’d see Tella as probably being one of the leaders in the entire champ tbh. Bloke ran his tail off.

Little fluctuations on stats that are all compatible doesn’t really mean too much - all three were brilliant for us last season and all offer something a bit different.

It’s pretty understandable that Tella would lose it more and I’m not particularly arsed about that (unless it was really high)- he was often carrying the ball with little support deep into the channels rather than against a fullback 1v1, for example.

I think factoring that in with his goal scoring record, and the fact that he was a key contributor to a team that racked up 101 points indicates that it isn’t as straightforward to replace him as some would let on.

I personally feel like we lost a bit of edge and looked a lot more static when he was out of the side towards the end of the season - imo we really missed his ability of keeping a defence honest.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:52 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:46 pm

The point is about what's on the market within our remaining budget, especially when we have other positions to fill, and how that expense would improve us. I certainly wouldn't complain if he returned, I'd be very pleased, I just think we have bigger priorities right now and would rather we focus our transfer efforts there assuming we only have so much budget left. If we were a club with the transfer pot for him at 15-18m, and a quality CDM and LB then sure, get him in at the price asked but I'd be shocked if we spend that much given our outlay already. You'd be looking at another 30-40m and I can't see us spending that even with sales.
If Maatsen signs an extension and becomes available for loan, or Gomez is loaned, or Lokonga, that changes. But I'd rather we aim for permanents rather than loans to avoid this same dilemma next year, if possible.
That might be your point but it isn't mine. Mine is very simple.

You can't work out Tella's value based on the moves of Sarr and Odoi given they both cost more (in terms of wages) and both have very little time left on their contract. Of course they will be cheaper. Posters on here have used that to say Tella is too expensive. Ridiculous logic. Completely different argument if you don't think he's worth the 15m that's fair enough. But you can't use other transfers like the two mentioned as an example given they don't reflect anything close to the situation with Tella.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:53 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28 am
I just can’t see it, I would be a absolutely amazed if Trafford doesn’t start every single game he is fit
Why? There's no logic to that statement.
Teams are selected on form not price tag. Muric was excellent last season, excellent the other night. Why would you imagine VK would drop him, just to put Trafford in the shop window. Ridiculous.
Trafford is young enough to still be learning, and needs to practice VKs system. Time will come when he gets his chance, either Muric losing form, injury, or getting sold for a handsome profit, but at the moment Muric has to start.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:54 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:41 pm

You’re missing the point, so perhaps instead of calling it idiotic, try and understand it yourself?

Whether it’s a year left on contract or whatever, those are prices which are on the market right now. Gyokeres had a year left but Cov still got £20m for him btw.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:56 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Did you actually see any games last season?... Benson was very average from the start quite often and was dropped many times because of that when he was completely fit... He's a talent but if you think performing for 20 minutes at the end of a game against tired legs makes him our best player and a threat from the start of a game in the premiership, then you have not been watching him properly.
Looked like one of the players most likely to make the step up to me. One of the better performers against Man Utd in League Cup too.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:56 pm
Looked like one of the players most likely to make the step up to me. One of the better performers against Man Utd in League Cup too.
Fully agree.

Benson struggled against teams that just kicked lumps out of him. The strategy whenever he started was "hit him early and often, ball then man if you can". The reason he became a super sub was tired players found it harder to do that.

Yes he's up against better faster defenders in the Prem but he didn't struggle with that type of defending. Bristol double marked him and trained to stop his shooting and couldn't. You can't be as rough in the PL and most fullbacks aren't as physical.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:06 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:54 pm
You’re missing the point, so perhaps instead of calling it idiotic, try and understand it yourself?

Whether it’s a year left on contract or whatever, those are prices which are on the market right now. Gyokeres had a year left but Cov still got £20m for him btw.
I'm not missing the point, you are- clearly demonstrated by this comment "wether it's a year left on a contract or whatever". That year is relevant because it impacts the value of the player.

If you think the length of the contract is irrelevant then fair enough, but it is idiotic!

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:09 pm

SO...

...any rumours or am I on the wrong thread?

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:54 pm

And just to further add, by this same logic every player is overpriced because Messi moved on a free. It doesn't matter that he was out of contract (you've already said that doesn't matter) and for mahoosive wages, that was the market price.

You see why this logic is completely flawed surely?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:15 pm

LDNBFC87 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:09 pm
SO...

No rumours, and yes it appears you’re on the wrong thread.

People discussing things doesn’t prevent transfer rumours from happening.
These 2 users liked this post: LDNBFC87 JimmyRobbo

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Benson could play 10 minutes, he is still our best player. He’s a match winner

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 pm

LDNBFC87 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:09 pm
SO...

Try the thread that is just for links 👍

This one is for discussion as well

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:18 pm

It’s all gone quiet. Where’s everybody gone?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:19 pm

Twitter rumours that Townsend has signed

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:27 pm

No problem with that. Redmond and Townsend, the experienced heads, each of them likely to start or be an active bench member.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:19 pm
Very happy with this if true. He looked the part on Tuesday

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:33 pm

Townsend looked very sharp. If he stays fit it'll be an amazing signing. Him and Redmond can shine under Kompany's tactics.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm

I too thought Townsend played well, but I'd be wary about signing someone based on a friendly performance

I think I'd be happy enough with a one year deal though

Kevwando
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Kevwando » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 pm
Benson could play 10 minutes, he is still our best player. He’s a match winner
Good to see you’ve changed your opinion, beginning of last season you thought he would be loaned out.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:37 pm

More than happy with a deal for Townsend. Loads of experience, will work with the younger lads really well.

Hoping for some CM links to start coming to the fore again - Lokonga seems ideal but appears to have gone a bit quiet.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:38 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:29 pm
Very happy with this if true. He looked the part on Tuesday
Take with a pinch of salt but that seems to be the rumour

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:18 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Feel free to post some, because I can’t see any.
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm
I too thought Townsend played well, but I'd be wary about signing someone based on a friendly performance

I think I'd be happy enough with a one year deal though
I suspect they've signed him based on his history and the last 3 weeks seeing him in training more so than the Benfica game !!!!!!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:35 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm
I suspect they've signed him based on his history and the last 3 weeks seeing him in training more so than the Benfica game !!!!!!
I'm sure they did, but it also won't have escaped their notice that he tends to start well and then decline over the length of his contract - which is why I'm happy enough with him having a 1 year one, but no longer

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:10 pm

I’d agree about not taking to much attention of friendlies but what can’t be denied was his energy and workrate. If he was playing for a deal that could fall away but we start by knowing it is there. VK and the battle for starting roles will keep him on his toes.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:16 pm

Back on topic - Lokonga has been offered to Roma apparently . Who haven’t taken up on said offer.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 pm

I can’t find anything on twitter to suggest Townsend has signed, can anyone post

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:40 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
No, there aren't.
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Mahrez gone to Saudi
Maybe puts Palmer out of our (or anybody's) reach if he now features more at City

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:39 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:40 pm
No, there aren't.
I really do not understand why people make these claims without providing evidence. I can only assume they want to cause a stir, however all it will achieve is people paying absolutely no attention to whatever they say in the future.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:45 pm

We are interested in West Brom WINGER Grady Diangana according to the Mail.

whiffa
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 2608 times

Post by whiffa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:59 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:45 pm
We are interested in West Brom WINGER Grady Diangana according to the Mail.
Good player but I'd heard he was injured and just had two surgeries - would be surprised to see us take a risk if that's the case unless we're confident he can pass a medical?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 625 times
Has Liked: 492 times

Post by Steddyman » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:26 pm

We must be signing someone today. We've only signed 2 players this week, so 1 more required.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:08 pm

Undav from Brighton who we have been linked with many times is off to Germany on loan with Stuttgart

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:49 am

All gone quiet again.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:36 am

Brentford have had a bid for Brennan Johnson of Forest turned down..................35 million !!!!! Brentford just bid 35 million for a player :shock:

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 796 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:33 am

Probably already been posted but Ipswich showing an interest in McNally

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1190352866?-919:978

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:33 am

The Brentford owned by the richest man in Denmark?

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 796 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:48 am

Trevor Lego?

Pheonixknight
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Pheonixknight » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:05 am

Frank Carlsberg ?

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:44 am

Dave Bacon?

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:52 am

Brian Jensen?