KV Kortrijk

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: KV Kortrijk

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:55 pm

With the new rules relaxed on work permits, I can't think of any other benefits to us buying another club now.

The money would have come from the club but we couldn't own another club.
ALK would have another club free of charge, at our clubs expense.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:31 am

I also hope KV Kortrijk do well under the new ownership. I can't pretend I thought for a Nanosecond ALK would be buying the club in competition with the Kominski group and with Vincent Tan as an owner but nonetheless all the best...

Tan made 10 million Euros on the deal in 8 years. It looks like businessmen now see smaller football clubs as commodities in a marketplace, which is increasing in value.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:33 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:55 pm
With the new rules relaxed on work permits, I can't think of any other benefits to us buying another club now.
What rules have changed?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:33 am
What rules have changed?
From yesterday when the window opened, you can now sign four players per club who don't have the requisite number of points for a work permit.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:09 am

Wow. That's a big change. Shame wasn't the case last year with BV

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:13 pm

Seems all is not well with the takeover. Vincent Tan has not been paid by the Kaminski group according to Sacha Tavolieri with belief that Tan and Ken Choo (Tan's CEO) have been deceived.

I was at a meeting yesterday about multi-club ownership and how it is damaging so many smaller clubs.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:43 pm

Multi club ownership shouldn't be a thing

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:44 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:43 pm
Multi club ownership shouldn't be a thing
Some of the stories I heard yesterday were horrific, clubs just being used by owners of bigger clubs with neither interest in them or concern for them.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:50 pm

I don’t mind it in the sense that a fan of a minor club in either a lower division or a non-premium football country can have a taste of having a “2nd team” to follow, with some benefit to their own team from player loans etc. Reality is being a fan of a small Belgian side is not dissimilar to being a fan of Rochdale, not much glory in a lifetime. Burnley are in between but have always been a sufficient size and history that we do get occasional moments in the sun.

But to get that ideal balance there has to be good worldwide governance from FIFA - which is of course an oxymoron.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:52 pm

Does this mean we can nip in with a lower price?

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pm

Absolutely disagree with this trend. It's plain wrong.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:06 pm

ecc wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pm
Absolutely disagree with this trend. It's plain wrong.
I have been posting about this fact for a few years on the MMT but there are only a minority here that seem to concur and when ALK/VSL do go down this route there will be plenty on here who will champion them for doing so

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:24 pm

Agree with others on this. I’m happy that this hasn’t gone through, regardless of whether it would have benefited BFC or not. I don’t like the potential loopholes that this opens up, it’s basically a means to dodge the rules. Someone on another thread mentioned how a Saudi club could potentially buy a superstar, say Messi for example, and then loan them out to Newcastle to swerve FFP regulations. Then there’s the potential for two clubs to meet in European competitions effectively giving a bye to the favoured team. That’s not even mentioning how the smaller club could be exploited. The idea stinks

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:30 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:24 pm
Agree with others on this. I’m happy that this hasn’t gone through, regardless of whether it would have benefited BFC or not. I don’t like the potential loopholes that this opens up, it’s basically a means to dodge the rules. Someone on another thread mentioned how a Saudi club could potentially buy a superstar, say Messi for example, and then loan them out to Newcastle to swerve FFP regulations. Then there’s the potential for two clubs to meet in European competitions effectively giving a bye to the favoured team. That’s not even mentioning how the smaller club could be exploited. The idea stinks
Like most of the modern ideas that have been - fiscally based - but served to the general detriment of the original nature of the game it is owners/directors of Tottenham Hotspur that really broke the mould for this type of activity.

Interestingly Spurs reward for all this 'innovation' down the years has been to watch others take each idea and do it better and more successfully - collecting trophies by the armful along the way. while they sit on the side lines with virtually nothing

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:12 pm

Looks like the deal which had been agreed with the Kaminski group is now off!

https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/stat ... RV-lw1FBKw

DaveKortrijk
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by DaveKortrijk » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:22 am

the deal did not go through, on the one hand very happy with it. because things didn't look good with those people. but in the meantime we have lost a month where we were not allowed to do anything about incoming transfers, so there is not really any preparation. I hope this goes well with our team. and maybe a new opportunity for burnley
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:37 pm

Looks as though this is very much back on. Imminent according to Sacha Tavolieri.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:39 pm

Exciting times!

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 795 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:40 pm

A few of our players moving on loan or permanent to the Jupiter League?

Pathway for younger players?

Bob Lorder
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 175 times

Post by Bob Lorder » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:21 pm

This is making sense now as to why we’re buying all these players, a lot of these exciting new young players will need to sharpen their skills somewhere …. they’ll step on the conveyor belt at KV Kortrijk, when they’re good enough to make the step up, we take them to Burnley, whilst selling 3 or 4 players a season to recoup the money outlaid & carry on the process …
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

HagridsHut
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by HagridsHut » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Takeover imminent, Basti due to be the first of many to go over there - exciting times !

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:35 pm

I’ve said it before, but if we are going down this route, I really hope that the ‘relationship’ really does benefit KV Kortrijk and not just us as the supposed ‘bigger fish’.

Being a football fan is about having hopes and dreams for your team to do well, perhaps against the odds, winning games and sometimes, winning promotion, a cup or a championship.

It’s not about being a useful tool for a bigger club to achieve their aims at the expense of the the other.

It seems like something that perhaps we ‘need’ to do, even if it’s something that doesn’t really sit well with me. If the boot was on the other foot, I’m not sure that I’d be pleased to know that my team was ultimately being used to the benefit another.

I don’t know much about KV Kortrijk or what their aspirations are - I genuinely hope that if this does go through that they really do benefit from the relationship as much as we might.
These 4 users liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx chekhov Guller Bull CoolClaret

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:40 pm

Got their work cut out, bottom of league 4 loses in a row to start the season -10 GD

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Hated the dodgy dealings Watford were doing with Udinese, just blatantly bending the rules but I don't mind what the City group are doing, all of their clubs seem to be thriving on their own. So long as both clubs benefit and it's not just a rule bending thing I guess I'm not against it after all there's a ton of awful owners around.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:53 pm

so would this suggest given they will have to invest in Kortrijk that ALK have a lot more money behind them than we think they have ?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:59 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:35 pm
I’ve said it before, but if we are going down this route, I really hope that the ‘relationship’ really does benefit KV Kortrijk and not just us as the supposed ‘bigger fish’.

Being a football fan is about having hopes and dreams for your team to do well, perhaps against the odds, winning games and sometimes, winning promotion, a cup or a championship.

It’s not about being a useful tool for a bigger club to achieve their aims at the expense of the the other.

It seems like something that perhaps we ‘need’ to do, even if it’s something that doesn’t really sit well with me. If the boot was on the other foot, I’m not sure that I’d be pleased to know that my team was ultimately being used to the benefit another.

I don’t know much about KV Kortrijk or what their aspirations are - I genuinely hope that if this does go through that they really do benefit from the relationship as much as we might.
It could be argued that, ever since the maximum wage was abolished, Burnley have been a "useful tool for bigger club(s) to achieve their aims at the expense of" Burnley - apart from the 2/3 decades or so from mid/late 1970s when Burnley had very little that could be sold on to any of the bigger clubs. I'd expect football fans of KV Kortrijk to be delighted to be part of the same multi-club group as one of their national teams greatest ever players.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:53 pm
so would this suggest given they will have to invest in Kortrijk that ALK have a lot more money behind them than we think they have ?
My guess is that, based on our transfer window activity, ALK/VSL have added more investors than we are aware of.

Of course, we will know in time. On the other hand, we should not expect every new investor to be introduced to the media and everyone at Turf Moor in the manner that JJ and Kealia Watt or the Dude Perfect guys. VSL allows individuals to join as investors without any need to make their investment public if that's what they desire.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:10 pm

Lets send over Franchi, Bastien, Churlinov when fit, Dodgson and possibly that young lad we got from Spurs. Should get the relationship started

I am all for this. Yes its not nice but it is what is happening all over the world, lets not kid ourselves it has been happening for years, like when Liverpool would have any good kid from Crewe. Utd and Antwerp. Ajax having every other team in Holland send their good players to their facilities and pay a euro transfer fee and then split transfer fees 80/20. We have to use what we can to grow as a club and this seems to be the way.

I trust Pace and Kompany to utilise this option for the betterment of both clubs, not just us. They seemed to have been messed around horrendously over the last couple of years, I believe a club owned by our owners is in better hands than one owned by Vincent Tan. So in my eyes at least, thats a good start

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Also the whole English youth system is corrupt and set up for the benefit of the elite clubs, we have to swim in the pond we are in, sadly we are in amongst power hungry sharks that care not a jot for the smaller ones amongst them. Hopefully we join them but in a more thoughtful way and not just for greed, on our path with 2 people in VK and AP at the helm whom I do think want the best for all involved and not just as a vanity project

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:16 pm

Still can’t get my head around this.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:18 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:35 pm

Worrying for a lot of clubs who are losing their identity and their futures under multi club ownership. I was at the FSE/FSA Conference recently when I heard some horror stories from fans of the smaller clubs trapped into this.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:19 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:53 pm
I dont think it does as depending on how the takeover and running of the club is financed it doesn't necessarily need ALK to have a lot of money behind them.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:22 pm

This is a question for the finance and ownership experts on here, Chester Perry may know the answer. What are the rules if any in football managers being part of ownership groups? Is it possible for Kompany to be part of the ownership group investing in the Belgium club but not be part of the ownership group at Burnley?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:18 pm
Worrying for a lot of clubs who are losing their identity and their futures under multi club ownership. I was at the FSE/FSA Conference recently when I heard some horror stories from fans of the smaller clubs trapped into this.
The club and fans want this deal to go ahead, as it gets rid of the present owner

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:18 pm
I understand where you are coming from, but would multi club ownership have saved the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Aldershot, and all the others which have lost their identity through bad ownership?

I thin it all comes down good owners and bad owners, we have been very lucky at this club over the last 25 years, others not so much. I am sure Bury fans would have snapped a foreign clubs hands off if they were invited to be part of a multi club ownership which would have them sent 3/4 players a year. I know the levels are lower but in England we are top heavy with clubs compared with probably anywhere else in the world

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:36 pm

Let’s not all get self righteousness about this , footballs been dog eat dog for decades now.

Anything that benefits Burnley FC , I am all up for.These are exciting times, I am sure both teams will benefit.

Some folk have moaned about every single change ALK have made since they taken over , yet the majority of decisions have been very beneficial for the club and fans.

Just enjoy the ride whilst it lasts and try not to be as negative, you will enjoy it so much more. :D
These 4 users liked this post: Guller Bull Cleveleys_claret GodIsADeeJay81 Paul Waine

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 795 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm

The way I see it is VK is Belgian through and through. He will want the best for both from this investment.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:41 pm

Kompany's got to be involved in this on a business level surely.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Kompany already owns a football club in Belgium, that will probably have some bearing on how involved he can be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BX_Brussels

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:02 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:22 pm
This is a question for the finance and ownership experts on here, Chester Perry may know the answer. What are the rules if any in football managers being part of ownership groups? Is it possible for Kompany to be part of the ownership group investing in the Belgium club but not be part of the ownership group at Burnley?
Pickles wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:41 pm
Kompany's got to be involved in this on a business level surely.
It would be easy, from a financial perspective, for Vincent Kompany to be an investor in VSL and therefore be an investor in the ownership of both Burnley and any KV Kortrijk, (or another other club that ALK/VSL invested in). I can't think of any football regulations (Premier League, FA, UEFA, FIFA) that would ban a football manager/coach from having an ownership stake in the club they are the coach for. However, football is a lot more used to a situation where the owners can fire the manager. OK, it can also happen that a manager who is also an investor can still be fired as the manager. Thinking of other clubs, was Alex Ferguson also a shareholder in ManU - shares are listed on NY stock exchange, so no reason why not. American employers are also a lot keener to reward employees with shares and share options.

All that without the separate information that Vincent Kompany has his own business activities.

Be great if Alan Pace has found a way to keep his favourite football manager interested and involved with the club for a long, long time.

UTC

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm

Several posts are suggesting we loan a bunch of our younger and less experienced players to Kortrijk; but does the Belgian League not have restrictions on the number of loan players you can include in your squad and/or a limit on how many of those come from a single source?

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:05 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:02 pm
It would be easy, from a financial perspective, for Vincent Kompany to be an investor in VSL and therefore be an investor in the ownership of both Burnley and any KV Kortrijk, (or another other club that ALK/VSL invested in). I can't think of any football regulations (Premier League, FA, UEFA, FIFA) that would ban a football manager/coach from having an ownership stake in the club they are the coach for. However, football is a lot more used to a situation where the owners can fire the manager. OK, it can also happen that a manager who is also an investor can still be fired as the manager. Thinking of other clubs, was Alex Ferguson also a shareholder in ManU - shares are listed on NY stock exchange, so no reason why not. American employers are also a lot keener to reward employees with shares and share options.

All that without the separate information that Vincent Kompany has his own business activities.

Be great if Alan Pace has found a way to keep his favourite football manager interested and involved with the club for a long, long time.

UTC
Thanks for the reply Paul, exactly the information I was looking for, but yeah I hadn’t factored in that the owner and manager have to be pretty close for the manager to invest, as you say he could easily be sacked

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:06 pm

claret wizard wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm
Kompany already owns a football club in Belgium, that will probably have some bearing on how involved he can be.

Are they not an academy?

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:06 pm

claret wizard wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm

This may make my post a little redundant. I can't imagine how any football manager can be involved with two different clubs in the same pyramid.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:09 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm
Several posts are suggesting we loan a bunch of our younger and less experienced players to Kortrijk; but does the Belgian League not have restrictions on the number of loan players you can include in your squad and/or a limit on how many of those come from a single source?
Brighton do the exact same thing in case you’re wondering with Royale Union Saint-Gilloise

We’re effectively copying their model here I think.

Not sure how many loans they’re allowed from the same club but in 2021/22 Brighton had three players on loan there:

Kaoru Mitoma, Deniz Undav & Kacper Kozlowski

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:24 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:06 pm
Are they not an academy?
BX Brussels, Kompany’s owned club, play in the 4th tier of Belgian football.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:45 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:05 pm
My guess is that, based on our transfer window activity, ALK/VSL have added more investors than we are aware of.

Of course, we will know in time. On the other hand, we should not expect every new investor to be introduced to the media and everyone at Turf Moor in the manner that JJ and Kealia Watt or the Dude Perfect guys. VSL allows individuals to join as investors without any need to make their investment public if that's what they desire.
This was my presumption, hopefully you are correct !

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:47 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:25 pm
I understand where you are coming from, but would multi club ownership have saved the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Aldershot, and all the others which have lost their identity through bad ownership?

I thin it all comes down good owners and bad owners, we have been very lucky at this club over the last 25 years, others not so much. I am sure Bury fans would have snapped a foreign clubs hands off if they were invited to be part of a multi club ownership which would have them sent 3/4 players a year. I know the levels are lower but in England we are top heavy with clubs compared with probably anywhere else in the world
To a point I agree but it was horrendous listening to people who supported clubs who had to play second fiddle to a bigger club. There is a real concern over multi club ownership.

Yes good and bad owners, that I accept, but having heard so much last month, I have real concerns about any multi club ownership.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:45 pm
This was my presumption, hopefully you are correct !
I’m pretty certain we’ve had some significant investment and I don’t mean DP.

Pace talks about securing investment as being easier when the team is playing well in Mission to Burnley.

As PW says, some will be silent investors but it’s the ones like JJ and DP that excite me the most. Russell Ball also suggested “others will come on board” in his TurfCast interview.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 pm

I’d imagine the main benefits of this will be using Kortrijk to buy talented players when they are young, avoiding the Premier League tax. Imagine how much extra you pay because you’re a PL side and it’s easy to see how this could pay for itself in a few transfers.

Also, I read that running a Cat One academy has a cost of £2-5m a year. We probably think this will realise much better value for money by providing a professional development pathway for our younger/fringe players. In that context it probably pays for itself in a few years.