Our strikers in the Premier League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Our strikers in the Premier League

Post by fidelcastro » Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

Are any of our current strikers good enough for the PL?

It seems a churlish question after the season we've just had, but we all know there is a big difference between this division and the one above.

Barnes and Dervisoglu aren't going to be here in any case.

Jay Rod was disappointing last time we were there, and let's just say we're yet to see the best of Foster and Obafemi.

Do we realistically have to be looking to sign two or three new strikers? :shock:

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: Our strikers in the Premier League

Post by jdrobbo » Sun May 07, 2023 10:44 am

New strikers needed.

Tella (counting him as a forward in this instance)
Foster
Obafemi
Jay
Gyokeres

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 07, 2023 10:50 am

Definitely not two or three. Maybe another one though.

Foster - has looked great in his build up play. Watched Toney yesterday and Foster does remind me of how he plays, obviously not at his levels yet. His finishing remains the question mark, but if he can build on his strength and learn the dark arts a bit more, I think he could be a real surprise next season.

Obafemi - not really seen him play through the middle yet. I think he’s a more natural goal scorer than Foster and his pace will be a real asset.

Jay - think he did really well in VKs system prior to injury. Still has a lot to offer, especially in terms of experience next year.

I think Twine will stay and has goals in him too, before considering Zaroury & Benson who you’d expect to improve given their ages.

And hopefully Tella stays too.

Maybe one striker in required but for me it’s midfield that will see the most work this summer.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 10:51 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

It seems a churlish question after the season we've just had, but we all know there is a big difference between this division and the one above.

Jay Rod was disappointing last time we were there, and let's just say we're yet to see the best of Foster and Obafemi.

Do we realistically have to be looking to sign two or three new strikers? :shock:

A quick glance at the current PL Table and occupying the bottom 3 places you will see the 3 lowest scoring teams. The same as in the Championship last campaign. So scoring goals is of massive importance if we are to stay up so we will need to reinforce that area of the squad.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun May 07, 2023 10:53 am

I think of us as a mini Man City and we'll play they way they did between Aguero declining/leaving and Haaland joining.
No out and out striker needed but a really good link up man required who will still get 12-15 goals.
Gyokeres would be perfect but probably unlikely.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 07, 2023 11:04 am

I think Tella (if we get him) will be fine, although unlikely to gat as many goals as this season. I also think the prem will suit Fosters game, more than the championship.
We still need another, main striker, but as this season, I would hope, and expect goals to be spread throughout the squad.

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sun May 07, 2023 11:10 am

We definitely need at least 1 striker, if not 2.

Foster- showing signs of improvement but I don’t think we can rely on him to be our main striker in the PL.

Jay Rod - still think he has something to offer as a squad man but again, if he was starting as our main striker I’d be concerned.

Obafemi/Tella - not an out and out striker in the system we use. Do their best work as wide forwards.

Twine - again not an out and out striker, if he does play will play behind the front man in the number 10 role.

So for me; that leaves 2 proper strikers in our system, 1 who is brand new to the English game, and 1 who has a bad injury record and is coming towards the end of a career.

At least 1 striker who can nab 10 PL goals and also act as a focal point, holding up the ball and dropping into midfield to link
The play is a must.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 11:19 am

DanH90 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:10 am
We definitely need at least 1 striker, if not 2.

Foster- showing signs of improvement but I don’t think we can rely on him to be our main striker in the PL.

Jay Rod - still think he has something to offer as a squad man but again, if he was starting as our main striker I’d be concerned.

Obafemi/Tella - not an out and out striker in the system we use. Do their best work as wide forwards.

Twine - again not an out and out striker, if he does play will play behind the front man in the number 10 role.

So for me; that leaves 2 proper strikers in our system, 1 who is brand new to the English game, and 1 who has a bad injury record and is coming towards the end of a career.

At least 1 striker who can nab 10 PL goals and also act as a focal point, holding up the ball and dropping into midfield to link
The play is a must.
Agree with most of this - worth adding though that Bournemouth are comfortably staying up without a 10 goal striker (closest is Solanke on 7), they’ve done well at spreading the goals (which is also what we’ve done this season and I expect will continue to do). I think 1 new striker is fine, someone in the Gyokeres mould (don’t think we will get him over the others interested).

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 07, 2023 12:09 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:50 am
Definitely not two or three. Maybe another one though.

Foster - has looked great in his build up play. Watched Toney yesterday and Foster does remind me of how he plays, obviously not at his levels yet. His finishing remains the question mark, but if he can build on his strength and learn the dark arts a bit more, I think he could be a real surprise next season.

Obafemi - not really seen him play through the middle yet. I think he’s a more natural goal scorer than Foster and his pace will be a real asset.

Jay - think he did really well in VKs system prior to injury. Still has a lot to offer, especially in terms of experience next year.

I think Twine will stay and has goals in him too, before considering Zaroury & Benson who you’d expect to improve given their ages.

And hopefully Tella stays too.

Maybe one striker in required but for me it’s midfield that will see the most work this summer.
Foster/Toney - absolutely miles apart in every aspect of a strikers attributes He is one for the future but next season may be too soon

Obafemi - Not seen him play through the middle yet because VK rated Jay, Ash and Foster as better, which gives a reasonable indication of his skills set

Twine - too lightweight

Jay - Age will catch up on him next year

We need two strikers capable of starting

And, agree, we need two CM's with strength, height and pace

In VK we have someone who can sort these areas with suitable replacements this summer

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun May 07, 2023 12:16 pm

I mentioned a few weeks ago that striker/ strikers is a major issue for us. Ridiculous as we have scored more goals than anyone in the Championship, I think. Far from convinced that any of the ones we have currently are of the quality needed. VK has given Foster especially some good game time recently buy it's just not happening for him, so I wouldn't expect it to happen for him in a higher division. Of course I hope I'm wrong so I'll just have to wait and see.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 pm

Neil wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:53 am
I think of us as a mini Man City and we'll play they way they did between Aguero declining/leaving and Haaland joining.
No out and out striker needed but a really good link up man required who will still get 12-15 goals.
Gyokeres would be perfect but probably unlikely.
A link up player that can score 12-15 goals will be 40m minimum.

louieollie
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by louieollie » Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 pm

I've got a sneaky feeling Twine won't be in the equation next season, I think he'll get shipped out on loan to a championship team. If I'm honest up to press I'm not convinced any other than Tella( should he stay) have what's needed for the step up BUT I hope I'm wrong. Therefore I do feel we need a marquee signing in the striking dept.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun May 07, 2023 12:29 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 pm
A link up player that can score 12-15 goals will be 40m minimum.
A player that you’ve heard of will be.

If you wanted to sign Manuel Benson now you’d be talking £20 million plus but less than a year ago we got him for less than £3 million.

Ditto Zaroury.

Cullen was a snip but now you’d want north of £15 million for him.

We are a different beast now. That’s why I’m absolutely convinced we won’t be in for Gyokeres and will still sign players the bulk of us have never heard of (except for those who lie about how much football they watch but really play a lot of Football Manager).

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 12:31 pm

There aren't any players in the Premier League who score 12-15 goals a season and aren't an out and out striker who don't play for the top six teams. Maybe we'll break that trend but it wouldn't hurt to be realistic.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Not sure VK is convinced with either Foster or Oberfami. He’ll need at least one if not two. Another ball winning midfielder for me with a tackle in him along with an engine. For those of us old enough and lucky enough to watch Graham Souness that’s what you call a proper midfielder.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun May 07, 2023 12:43 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:31 pm
There aren't any players in the Premier League who score 12-15 goals a season and aren't an out and out striker who don't play for the top six teams. Maybe we'll break that trend but it wouldn't hurt to be realistic.
Yeah I was probably a bit over ambitious. 10 goals would be a good return.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 07, 2023 12:47 pm

Clubs like ours will always struggle for quality strikers at Premier League level.

But

VK has real faith in Jay Rod so let’s hope he has a season away from injuries. I hadn’t been impressed with Foster until last week but thought he looked the part at Bristol City. We’ve not seen Obafemi other than short cameos so can’t comment on him. I Just think we need to replace Barnes.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 07, 2023 12:48 pm

We absolutely need a striker and I think it’s a certainty that we’ll sign one (in addition to Tella, if you regard him as one). Jay, if he’s sticking around, will be a bench option as would Foster/Obafemi. Gyokeres would be fantastic and I still think there is a possible deal there with McNally, but that depends on whether the rumoured interest from other clubs crystallises into anything more tangible. I can’t see Coventry winning the play-offs personally so he will definitely be sold this summer, if that comes to pass.

I think Socrates probably has it right a bit further up though in that the the strategy that has served us so well will still be the case this summer. I fully expect 3/4 players that I have never heard of to come in and I find that exciting.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun May 07, 2023 1:53 pm

I would love to have seen either of Kevin Reeves or Danny Ings in their pomp in this side. In fact, put Danny Ings in it for just one season will see us comfortably survive, and therefore provide us with a platform to continue to develop our business model

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun May 07, 2023 1:57 pm

We need a replacement for Ash. He was no 1 choice for most of the second half of the season so we need a no 1 choice replacement. Probably Vinny’s biggest challenge to date.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun May 07, 2023 2:14 pm

We definitely need a striker who can at least score ten goals, where he is I don't know but I hope Vinny does .

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Sun May 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Foster and Obafemi
Not good enough

We need 2 more
This user liked this post: jojomk1

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun May 07, 2023 2:44 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens on the transfer business as I am sure we will be looking at whats out there.

I keep getting De-ja-vu when I read things like - not good enough and needing proven X no of goal striker. Pretty much what was said last summer and we have done ok.

Clearly PL is a step up but I for one are relaxed because for the first time in many many years of approaching a season, it feels like we are happy to invest.

We don't have a pending sale, pandemic or other crisis going on with friction between manager and owner. And unlike last season, our Manager knows this league inside and out.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 2:58 pm

Our current strikers , with the possible exception of Tella , would not get into the first team of any of the current PL teams, and I include those sides on the verge of being relegated. The way we have brushed people aside this season has been through the brilliance of Benson, Zarourry and Tella. Jay, Barnes and Foster collectively have missed numerous chances, more than they have scored, and many were easy ones.

Hopefully Benson, Zarourry and hopefully Tella if he signs, can do the business again next season. However its amazing how many clubs in the PL get absolutely outplayed and out possessed but get one or two chances only and convert one,to go away with one or three points. If we are relying on Jay or Foster to convert that one chance we will be disappointed. The beauty of having VK on board is he will already be aware of thise and may already have targets, and for one I am so pleased the transfer embargo has now been lifted

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 3:08 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:44 pm
It will be interesting to see what happens on the transfer business as I am sure we will be looking at whats out there.

I keep getting De-ja-vu when I read things like - not good enough and needing proven X no of goal striker. Pretty much what was said last summer and we have done ok.

Clearly PL is a step up but I for one are relaxed because for the first time in many many years of approaching a season, it feels like we are happy to invest.

We don't have a pending sale, pandemic or other crisis going on with friction between manager and owner. And unlike last season, our Manager knows this league inside and out.
Yes me too. Last summer it was ‘Can’t get promoted without a 20 goal a season striker’ ‘where’s the Andre Gray signing!?!’ and now it’s ‘need a 10 goal a season striker to stay up’.

Interestingly only 1 team in the entire bottom half of the Prem has a striker on more than 7 goals right now and they are level on points with the bottom 3.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:25 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:08 pm
Yes me too. Last summer it was ‘Can’t get promoted without a 20 goal a season striker’ ‘where’s the Andre Gray signing!?!’ and now it’s ‘need a 10 goal a season striker to stay up’.

Interestingly only 1 team in the entire bottom half of the Prem has a striker on more than 7 goals right now and they are level on points with the bottom 3.
I’ve noticed that all of the teams ranked 12th-17th all have at least three players with five or more goals.

Perhaps that’s what we need to aim for.

I can certainly see Benson getting Five. Difficult to judge foster right now but I would suggest he will get that.

However not sure who else could get five or more in the squad currently.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun May 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Tella is an absolute must for us . The rest..who knows ? Obafemi certainly has something but not sure we really play to his style . Jay ( if he says fit -very unlikely ) could be a useful back up and he’s showed he can score when playing way out of position . Foster - not seen anything to get excited about . Twine - too lightweight but could well develop into a decent bench player .
Verdict -we absolutely need 1 proven “ off the peg” prem CF

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun May 07, 2023 3:35 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

I thought J-Rod was off to MLS?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun May 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:35 pm
I thought J-Rod was off to MLS?
You obviously know more than me.

I was just asking the question with regards towards our current strikers.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:51 pm

Jay Rod was brilliant prior to Christmas.... but at 34 I think he is likely to play the withdrawn role . Traditionally, he has scored more in the EFL than the PL.

If he had stayed fit and mainatined his form he would have hit 20 goals this season and as brilliant as Ashley Barnes has been a fit Jay Rod would probably have been number one after Xmas.

Obviously, we have to buy Tella so I guess we can't include him

Not sure what is going to happen to Weghorst. He has scored loads in the Bundesliga but doesn't even look likely in the PL.

I think a 28 year old Jay Rod would be just the job....! So, if we can find someone like that then that would be a good addition to the squad.