Lancashire League 28th May

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Re: Lancashire League 28th May

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:20 am

sjb wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:57 am
As a point of interest, the Ribblesdale League doesn't exist any more. It merged with the Bolton League to form the North West Cricket League this year with a 24 team Senior League which will be split into 2 divisions of 12 next season. The Bolton teams seem to be much stronger with only 4 ex Ribb League teams currently in the top half. Little Lever are the outstanding side thus far with Darren Lehmann's son Jake an excellent pro.

I understand Settle, the most successful Ribb League side in recent years, are not happy with the travelling & will be joining the Northern League next year.
Yes I’m aware of the changes and only used the term Ribb League as it’s what most casual observers on here will recognise.

Settle leaving the league is a big blow because they’ve been the premier team for a while now.

I’m not convinced as to the longevity of the new set up but time will tell. The major Bolton League teams all bailed out before the new set up was introduced so whilst it will likely improve the standard when the two divisions split next year I think it will still be a level below the other major local leagues.

sjb
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:35 am

The standard is pretty poor - some of the ex Ribblesdale League teams are really struggling. I've seen most of the sides and Whalley, Baxenden, & Oswaldtwistle Immanuel are all very average. Even Settle are having a disappointing season - though they have lost a few key players. Padiham are probably the best of them.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm

sjb wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:57 am
As a point of interest, the Ribblesdale League doesn't exist any more. It merged with the Bolton League to form the North West Cricket League this year with a 24 team Senior League which will be split into 2 divisions of 12 next season. The Bolton teams seem to be much stronger with only 4 ex Ribb League teams currently in the top half. Little Lever are the outstanding side thus far with Darren Lehmann's son Jake an excellent pro.

I understand Settle, the most successful Ribb League side in recent years, are not happy with the travelling & will be joining the Northern League next year.
I think Settle, or if it wasn't them it was some team from that area, wanted to apply for the Lancashire League expansion but weren't eligible because they were too far north. More for the travel of the existing clubs than out of sympathy for the new applicant!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3879 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:09 pm

sjb wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:35 am
The standard is pretty poor - some of the ex Ribblesdale League teams are really struggling. I've seen most of the sides and Whalley, Baxenden, & Oswaldtwistle Immanuel are all very average. Even Settle are having a disappointing season - though they have lost a few key players. Padiham are probably the best of them.
Fair play for getting around so many grounds this season to make judgements.

But let's be honest the bottom half of any league will be described as poor.
That's why the Lancs league brought all the new clubs in, so the top clubs didn't have to play Rishon, Accrington and Bacup etc..

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:14 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm
I think Settle, or if it wasn't them it was some team from that area, wanted to apply for the Lancashire League expansion but weren't eligible because they were too far north. More for the travel of the existing clubs than out of sympathy for the new applicant!
Yeah, Settle have being trying to move league's for at least 3 years.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:46 pm

It’s only my opinion but I think the lancs league committee have made the 1st division very strong but unfortunately the second division is a complete shambles some very poor teams in it any decent amateur cricketer will want to play with the so called top clubs I seriously fear for some lancs league clubs remember everybody upthecolne

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1105 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:38 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:12 am
The theory of D-L is a two stage process. First they work out what Burnley would have been expected to get from their full 50 overs (so the last 8 would be expected to score more in the late slog) and then they work out what Lowerhouse's equivalent target would be bearing in mind they still have the full 10 wickets but know how many overs they have.

Bowling points are for 5-6-7-8-9 wickets if you have the full 50 overs available, but as the overs reduce, so does the number of wickets you need. At the minimum 20, the first bowling points come at 2 wickets.
So why didn't Lowerhouse get, at least, 1 point for Burnley being 5 down - which should be more, perhaps, as they only got to bowl 42 overs without Burnley doing a run chase? Lowerhouse wickets were given away cheaply as they had to score at a T20 rate rather than a 50 over rate, wickets are easier to get when you have to slog!

sjb

Post by sjb » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:57 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:09 pm
Fair play for getting around so many grounds this season to make judgements.

But let's be honest the bottom half of any league will be described as poor.
That's why the Lancs league brought all the new clubs in, so the top clubs didn't have to play Rishon, Accrington and Bacup etc..
You make a good point, but I'm pretty certain that the poorer teams in the Lancashire League would comfortably beat the equivalent sides in the North West Cricket League. Accrington for instance are having a poor season, but players like Jacob Clarke (pro), Yasir Ali & Kian Farnworth would be stand outs for Whalley or Oswaldtwistle.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3357 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:07 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm
My understanding via the grapevine (others will DEFINITELY know more than me) was that when Milnrow dropped out of the Lancs league 3? seasons back after just one season, the single place up for grabs was sought by Greenmount, Settle and AN Other (possibly Read?) All existing clubs had one vote on it and Greenmount got the nod. Settle are an extremely competitive club and would have been an excellent addition, but many of the existing clubs, especially the more Manchester orientated ones, were unlikely to vote for them because of the travelling distances involved. Read's playing surface is regarded as being rather too small unfortunately, which is a shame as it's an extremely well run and thriving club. Ironically Greenmount isn't much bigger and some of the scores being made on there are testament to that!!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:13 pm

I'm sure any pro would be a stand out as an amateur.

Kian Farnworth was playing well for Cherry Tree before moving to Church.
I don't watch any LL cricket live so I can't comment on players really, only the ones doing well on scorecards.

But every team has a few good players. Earby have a very talented young spinner for instance. He's only 15 so won't name him, but he's bowling his maximum overs every week returning decent figures.

sjb

Post by sjb » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:13 pm
I'm sure any pro would be a stand out as an amateur.

Kian Farnworth was playing well for Cherry Tree before moving to Church.
I don't watch any LL cricket live so I can't comment on players really, only the ones doing well on scorecards.

But every team has a few good players. Earby have a very talented young spinner for instance. He's only 15 so won't name him, but he's bowling his maximum overs every week returning decent figures.
To be fair, Clarke is a home grown 'pro' (Burnley born) who played for Accy as an amateur before joining the paid ranks. I know the lad you mean at Earby - I saw him bat and bowl very well at Padiham a few weeks ago & is definitely 1 to watch.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:25 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:38 pm
So why didn't Lowerhouse get, at least, 1 point for Burnley being 5 down - which should be more, perhaps, as they only got to bowl 42 overs without Burnley doing a run chase? Lowerhouse wickets were given away cheaply as they had to score at a T20 rate rather than a 50 over rate, wickets are easier to get when you have to slog!
Lowerhouse won. If you win, you get 10 points for winning and a possible 2 bonuses if you bowl the other side out.

Bonuses for getting 5-6-7-8-9 wickets, or for getting within 50-40-30-20-10 runs of the first innings score, are only available to the losing side based on what they do in the second innings.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:48 pm

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:46 pm
It’s only my opinion but I think the lancs league committee have made the 1st division very strong but unfortunately the second division is a complete shambles some very poor teams in it any decent amateur cricketer will want to play with the so called top clubs I seriously fear for some lancs league clubs remember everybody upthecolne
To be fair Lenny, I think this has always been the case. Some clubs thrive and some struggle. I think the new set up allows the clubs that struggle a chance to compete. Colne had a great promotion season but then struggled back in the top division. That’s better for their longer term sustainability than getting hammered each game across both those seasons. East Lancs are competing again this year, others like Nelson who were a former power club are struggling.

I’ve said for many years that the clubs that do best tend to be the ones with the busiest bars and the money to reinvest back into cricket facilities and coaching etc, There are exceptions to this and some clubs have put the bar/social aspects ahead of the cricket but generally if you look at the top end of the league it’s the clubs that can generate the most money……just like in most sports.

Dark Cloud
Has Liked: 3357 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:49 pm

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:46 pm
The Lancs League Committee haven't "made" the 1st division strong. It's been formed on merit and each season two teams are promoted from div 2 whilst two are relegated which means yes, the strongest teams at any given moment will make it up, but with the natural cycle of these things, nothing is forever and nothing is set in stone and dominance comes and goes. I agree some of the teams in div 2 are struggling on the field just now, but generally it's an extremely competitive division with some great cricket played and some excellent and committed cricketers both young and "experienced".
Regarding money: From what I see around the league virtually every club is generating fair amounts of cash off the field via the bar and function rooms etc and some are blessed with fantastic facilities (Norden, Littleborough, Rochdale etc) but even at the likes of Rishton who are (currently) struggling on the playing side atm the social side turns over a pretty penny. As debated elsewhere East Lancs whilst doing well on the field currently, are probably the only exception I can think of out of the 24 clubs where on the surface they're generating next to nowt off the field which has to be a concern. Good facilities bring in plenty of people on nice days and evenings, people who aren't actually that fussed about the cricket and that's fine because their money is just as welcome as anyone else's. Clubs also have to continually think about this generating of funds alongside playing the cricket and Lowerhouse recently unveiling ambitious plans to completely revamp things shows exactly this.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32573 times
Has Liked: 5286 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:50 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Because Lowerhouse won. Although they are called bonus points, they are only awarded to the losers.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

Leisure
Been Liked: 3817 times
Has Liked: 12506 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:50 pm
Although they are called bonus points, they are only awarded to the losers.
Rishton should have the most bonus points in both divisions then! ;)
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Dark Cloud

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:09 pm

We released a new podcast this morning about the derby game and had the pro on to talk through how he's finding it so far..

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:49 pm

Win for Burnley today but surprise defeat for Lowerhouse against bottom of the league Ramsbottom.

It's left both clubs on 95 points with Lowerhouse above Burnley due to having won one more game. Tod will go top if they win and need 8 off the last over.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:49 pm

Tod have won and they go top on 100 points with Lowerhouse and Burnley second and third.

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 pm

Bad day at the office for the House. And yes our internet is working. We go again next week.

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:05 pm

Great recovery from Burnley today after the depressing no-show last week. Ocky and Big Joe McCluskey batted superbly and we're backed up by excellent bowling of Fergus Bailey and Trip. Very tight at the top of this league this season.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:41 pm

I watched Padiham well beaten today by Little Lever but an excellent innings from Jake Lehman. He got 90 Joe Root style without playing a shot in anger.
Sadly the umpiring was way below standard.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:14 pm

Lowerhouse lost to Rammy today, gave them their first win, bowled well enough, dropped some big ones, batting well off it. It happens..
Need to bounce back and I expect we will

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:41 pm
I watched Padiham well beaten today by Little Lever but an excellent innings from Jake Lehman. He got 90 Joe Root style without playing a shot in anger.
Sadly the umpiring was way below standard.
How’s Jonny been getting on? Good friend of his dad and I’ve always liked him, still think he should be playing at a higher level (don’t mean to be disrespectful) but he’s a top batter

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:55 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pm
How’s Jonny been getting on? Good friend of his dad and I’ve always liked him, still think he should be playing at a higher level (don’t mean to be disrespectful) but he’s a top batter
He looks superb as a batsman and played some great shots today. But got fired LBW for 20odd.
He knocked 60 off last week chasing 92 in 10 overs.

When it clicks he will take some stopping.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:14 pm

The wheels truly came off the Lowerhouse wagon today at Rammy.

Chasing 162 it should have been a walk in the park. However,we contrived to chuck wickets away.

Two of our top order managed to get caught behind playing that stupid reverse sweep. The rest could barely hit the ball off the square.

This was a full strength side playing the bottom of the league.

UTH

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:31 pm

Hopey wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 pm
Bad day at the office for the House. And yes our internet is working. We go again next week.
How did Lowerhouse 2nds get on against Ramsbottom?

And anyone know how Burnley 2nds got on at Littleborough?

100percentclaret
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by 100percentclaret » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:55 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:31 pm

Lowerhouse 2’s won by 1 wicket with 4 balls to spare chasing 159. Great chase by a very young, inexperienced team.
This user liked this post: dsr

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:21 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:31 pm

Burnley 2nd's game called off. Match couldn't be played at Littleborough due to a concert being held there. Alternative arrangements had been made to play at Crompton I believe, but due to a break down in communication a wicket hadn't been prepared.
This user liked this post: dsr

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:08 am

Hopey wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 pm
Hope the internet is working better than the pro's reverse sweep. :D

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:24 am

BigRedrose wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:21 am
Burnley 2nd's game called off. Match couldn't be played at Littleborough due to a concert being held there. Alternative arrangements had been made to play at Crompton I believe, but due to a break down in communication a wicket hadn't been prepared.
You’d be fuming, how are Littleborough allowed to do that? Surely if you can’t put the game on you should lose the points

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:27 am

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to just move it to today?

Surely they could have just moved it to Burnley’s ground if there is still stuff on their pitch?

Mondsley
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Mondsley » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:03 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:24 am
You’d be fuming, how are Littleborough allowed to do that? Surely if you can’t put the game on you should lose the points
As an ex player and long standing member at Littleborough, who also has many friends at Burnley CC this is acutely embarrassing. I don't know the circumstances which led to the non preparation of the wicket yesterday but I do know that nobody will be more angry and upset about this than the powers that be at Littleborough. The event at Hare Hill is an annual thing so arrangements to move the game will have been in place, at the latest, since the fixtures came out. Presumably Burnley were contacted at that stage and agreeable to the arrangement. Something has gone badly wrong, and with the game being originally Littleborough's home fixture the buck stops with them. No doubt the reason will come out in time. But that doesn't help in the short term. It will be interesting to see what sanctions the League imposes on Littleborough, Crompton or both!!

FCBurnley
Has Liked: 1152 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:57 pm

Lost to Rammy ? Holy cow I thought they were bottom of the league !!!