Worst hotel you have ever stayed?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Re: Worst hotel you have ever stayed?

Post by BennyD » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:41 am

Volvoclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:27 pm
Vegasclarets mums house
😉
No way. There was a Goblin teasmaid when I stayed there.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:47 am

The Goblin teasmade WAS his mum.
Sorry Vegas, just joking 😲

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:34 am

The Oaks, Burnley this year absolute shocker

Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Les Lawrence » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:45 am

Norbreck Castle Blackpool, horrible.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:44 pm

Stayed in a B&B in Blackpool once, short notice for an illumination treat for the children, open terminal box actually above electric shower and we were told just to be careful and not touch it, breakfast crap room just about passable,we left that morning.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1116 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:17 pm

Travel Lodge, Worcester. Now, I went to a cheap and cheerful boarding school,so I’m used to roughing it, but this was the basic side of basic.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:18 pm

Got bumped off an air France flight in Point Noire and they drove a group of us to a hotel that had the fumigators in

Also managed to get booked into a hotel in Miri without any kind of window.

However, hotels can be changed... When you are working offshore then that is when you are literally stuck with it. For me then it would have to be a toss up between a tug boat in Qatar where I slept on the back deck because the accomodation was infested with cockroaches or an accomodation barge off Bintulu that had a toilet/shower facility for 200 that basically saw the urinal piping leaking onto the floor, so you may have well just peed on the floor and the water run off from all the showers swashing back and forth because there was no proper drainage for each shower.

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:34 pm

Stayed in a hotel in benidorm for a stag do that was that bad it was on a channel 5 documentary!
The lift jammed between 2 floors and it took over an hour to get our party out.
The windows were paper thin so you got woke up at 10am when the music started.
The pool was full of chicken bones.
The rooms were worse than strangeways and stunk.
It was that bad it's now funny

JoeAM89
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by JoeAM89 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:02 pm

Hendham House, Manchester

The absolute pits.

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:05 pm

Claret86 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:34 pm
Stayed in a hotel in benidorm for a stag do that was that bad it was on a channel 5 documentary!
The lift jammed between 2 floors and it took over an hour to get our party out.
The windows were paper thin so you got woke up at 10am when the music started.
The pool was full of chicken bones.
The rooms were worse than strangeways and stunk.
It was that bad it's now funny
Could be the same hotel I stayed in when I went for a lads holiday over there, although it could be any number of hotels. Great laugh though and you know what you’re getting.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:26 am

Now i did convince the wife to travel to Afganistan in 93 , we we stayed 3 nights in Jalalabad the hotel room ( if you could call it that ) had no windows a broken Russian fridge and shrapnel holes all over the walls and door .
It was an interesting spot , ohhh and we are still married .

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:39 am

Stayed in a hotel in Liverpool with 4 mates about 5 years ago, cannot remember it's name, but the room we were put in was in the basement. The corridor was a building site and ours was the only 'room' that was housing guests, the rest being under construction. It had no windows (genuinely felt like a nuclear bunker and was about 30 degrees) and the beds were less than 2 inches apart, the shower was (I am not joking) essentially inside of a wardrobe in the same room as the beds. The toilet was thankfully in it's own room. Couldn't believe it when we walked in - we dumped our stuff and agreed that we were just going to stay out all night to not have to stay in it. Essentially treated the room as a safe.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:52 am

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:39 am
Stayed in a hotel in Liverpool with 4 mates about 5 years ago, cannot remember it's name, but the room we were put in was in the basement. The corridor was a building site and ours was the only 'room' that was housing guests, the rest being under construction. It had no windows (genuinely felt like a nuclear bunker and was about 30 degrees) and the beds were less than 2 inches apart, the shower was (I am not joking) essentially inside of a wardrobe in the same room as the beds. The toilet was thankfully in it's own room. Couldn't believe it when we walked in - we dumped our stuff and agreed that we were just going to stay out all night to not have to stay in it. Essentially treated the room as a safe.
The Adelphi seems to be the notoriously bad Liverpool Hotel according to several scousers.

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:33 pm

Flying Without Ings wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:05 pm
Could be the same hotel I stayed in when I went for a lads holiday over there, although it could be any number of hotels. Great laugh though and you know what you’re getting.
Agree with you there, it fed into the 'lads trip' mentality we had. My only gripe was the windows being paper thin. We were coming in at 5am and you were up no matter what at 10am

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:54 pm

I've stayed in some right dives and hovels over the years.

However:

In the late 90's (I think) a few of us stayed in Blackpool after a Burnley game. We did a B&B. The cost for a night was £14 which should have raised some alarm bells from the outset.

A dozen of us were split between 3 'family rooms'. Each contained 3 single beds. We quickly dumped our stuff, erased thoughts of our accommodation and went on the lash. Unable to get into most pubs due to being a mostly group of blokes. Some headed for some pricey nightclubs whilst we played 'Time Crisis ' in Coral Island.

One of our party came out of a club on his own and jumped in a cab. The minimum cost was £6 and the taxi only needed to reverse 80 yards to the door of the B&B.

Once inside the room I just did the usual fall into bed. Little did I know that there were no slats underneath and the mattress bore no springs. Despite the injuries to my lumbar region I still found time to laugh at my mate who had decided to put on the shower cap from the 'bathroom'. A heady mixture of hair, skin and an unidentified liquid poured down his face.

In the morning the lady serving our breakfast fell on our tables so we had to do a buffet from the floor.

A decision was made to do the 'Big One' at the Pleasure Beach. On the way our designated driver spotted a large group of 'Suited & Booted' lads on a stag do walking down the Prom with a huge puddle of water next to them on the kerb. You will guess the outcome but the traffic came to a holt about 50 yards further on as a large group descended on our vehicle and rendered it 'shafted'.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:05 pm

Keirby

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:18 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 pm
No honourable mentions for The Kierby, or did I miss it?
The Kierby was grim near the end. My ex wife and I attended a Northern Soul do there in the late 80’s and thought it would be convenient to stay the night there. I bet there were better hotels in Beirut around that time.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm

Travelodge in Leeds, was, despite having 2 fans on with the window open, unbearably hot.
So much so we contemplated sleeping on a bench at the train station.

A group of us went to Blackpool in some holiday flats on the front ( fleetwood end ). The beds were falling out of cupboards and all sorts.

LongSider75
Been Liked: 46 times

Post by LongSider75 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:46 pm

I stayed in the Artemission hotel in Athens when we played Olympiacos. I had to share the communal showers with ladies of the night. If you think that is a good thing then speak to the heavies who where looking after tbem. Wow, bit wierd👍

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by Claret Toni » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:22 am

Tribesmen wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:26 am
Now i did convince the wife to travel to Afganistan in 93 , we we stayed 3 nights in Jalalabad the hotel room ( if you could call it that ) had no windows a broken Russian fridge and shrapnel holes all over the walls and door .
It was an interesting spot , ohhh and we are still married .
So I take it you've not been back. ;)

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:51 am

Stone House hotel in Blackpool. Wasn't my choice, someone at work booked it. Absolute dive. Dead pigeons outside my window.

enduroclaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by enduroclaret » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:55 am

A total dump in Galveston Texas, after an epic struggle outside of town changing the inner tube on the front wheel of my motorcycle, in baking heat. Then a tropical storm, with lashing rain hit as I arrived in town.
All the hotels were full….I ended up in some dive down the backstreets that rented rooms for the night.
The room was full of cockroaches, it was filthy….It was like being victim no.1 in a B horror movie.
I didn’t dare lift the bed sheets and slept in my motorcycle gear….including my helmet!
I may have snatched a couple of hours sleep….but I was glad to see daylight
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears