Canadian Open golf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Canadian Open golf

Post by exilecanada » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:38 pm

Canadian Nick Taylor won Canadian Open yesterday with a 72 foot eagle putt to beat Tommy Fleetwood on the fourth playoff hole. Taylor is the first Canadian to lift the trophy since 1954, that's a huge monkey off the back of Canadian professional golfers. I was really torn about who I should be rooting for, Tommy is such a good guy and the Lancashire accent is always a pleasure to here. When Taylor's putt dropped the crowd went wild, brilliant to see.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Re: Canadian Open golf

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:56 pm

Fleetwood was excellent in his final round of the 72 holes but he was bloody awful on all the play off holes. So many poor shots, maybe we "big up" our guys too much in these events certainly Sky's coverage does.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm

Yep I watched it….thought it was never going to end !!

Tommy really blew it - or his caddy did to be more accurate. On the 18th before the playoff he advised him to take the iron and lay up put of the rough. No idea why he did that - the lie looked fine to get his 5 wood on it and he would have been far better off in a bunker or greenside for 2.

It was a massive mistake and it looked like it was praying on his mind after that for all the play off holes. He hit a number of poor shots in the play off holes but obviously he also had the pressure of a first PGA win on his shoulders too.

The putt by Taylor was incredible though - fantastic scenes and great to see all their fellow golfers from Canada and the UK watching at the end.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect Tommy’s head as he is playing really well since Butch Harman has been involved….and he’s got a good record in the US Open which starts this week. Will be a tough one though for him to forget.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:32 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm
Yep I watched it….thought it was never going to end !!

Tommy really blew it - or his caddy did to be more accurate. On the 18th before the playoff he advised him to take the iron and lay up put of the rough. No idea why he did that - the lie looked fine to get his 5 wood on it and he would have been far better off in a bunker or greenside for 2.

It was a massive mistake and it looked like it was praying on his mind after that for all the play off holes. He hit a number of poor shots in the play off holes but obviously he also had the pressure of a first PGA win on his shoulders too.

The putt by Taylor was incredible though - fantastic scenes and great to see all their fellow golfers from Canada and the UK watching at the end.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect Tommy’s head as he is playing really well since Butch Harman has been involved….and he’s got a good record in the US Open which starts this week. Will be a tough one though for him to forget.
Yep! I would really like another "Brit" to win a big one but can't help feeling our media over hype them and actually put more pressure on them than they need.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:56 pm

That singing of the National Anthem on the 14th for every Canadian is mad as.

exilecanada

Post by exilecanada » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:52 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:56 pm
That singing of the National Anthem on the 14th for every Canadian is mad as.

That's the "rink" hole. At every Canadian Open since 2017 a par 3 teeing area has been lined with boards, rather than rope. Instead of applauding a shot, the spectators bang the boards as the players do in ice hockey. Obviously a salute to Canada's national pastime.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:18 pm

Well done Nick. Great watching event and even though I wanted Tommy to win, I wasn't too upset when the putt dropped. 72' absolutely awesome!!
Off to Canada in August playing golf so I'm sure I'll get some stick off the locals :)

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:05 pm

Bloody love Canada. What an ending!!

I’ve walked around the Banff Springs (Faremont) course and I’m now wondering why it has never hosted the Canadian Open, or any major golf event for that matter? It’s absolutely wonderful.

Taffy on the wing
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:21 pm

Fleetwood has put on a ton of weight by the look of it.

Big Vinny K
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:32 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:05 pm
Bloody love Canada. What an ending!!

I’ve walked around the Banff Springs (Faremont) course and I’m now wondering why it has never hosted the Canadian Open, or any major golf event for that matter? It’s absolutely wonderful.
Looks a stunning course but not sure the place is set up to cope with the Canadian Open or a big championship. Think there are restrictions around there in terms of treatment of greens / course including the amount of watering they are allowed. I know there definitely used to be and it was related to the conservation area the course sits in.

I go to Canada a lot but near Toronto. I think Oakville has held the Canadian Open before and that’s only 15 minutes from where I go to.

Lots of good young Canadian players coming through and golf is having a real surge in popularity.

Given the layout and expanse of Canada I think the 2 main cities of Toronto and Montreal and the surrounding areas are going to be favourites to host the Open for a while and the drama of last weekend is going to increase its popularity even further. The week before a major is a pretty horrible slot for them but it was still a strong field and it turned out to be a fantastic event.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:02 pm

That 18th hole isn’t a great design because there is no risk reward with the tee shot, even Rory has to dial it down due to the meandering brook.

I do agree that the second shot has to be hit with a rescue as a minimum. Laying up isn't birdie territory with the pin back right. So Tommy had 3 chances to win and didn’t take any, which is pretty poor unfortunately. The Canadian lad was under most pressure. He hit two solid rescues from bad lies. He was also very honest avoiding a free drop which could have cost him the win. So he deserved it and hats off to him.

exilecanada

Post by exilecanada » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:32 pm
Looks a stunning course but not sure the place is set up to cope with the Canadian Open or a big championship. Think there are restrictions around there in terms of treatment of greens / course including the amount of watering they are allowed. I know there definitely used to be and it was related to the conservation area the course sits in.

I go to Canada a lot but near Toronto. I think Oakville has held the Canadian Open before and that’s only 15 minutes from where I go to.

Lots of good young Canadian players coming through and golf is having a real surge in popularity.

Given the layout and expanse of Canada I think the 2 main cities of Toronto and Montreal and the surrounding areas are going to be favourites to host the Open for a while and the drama of last weekend is going to increase its popularity even further. The week before a major is a pretty horrible slot for them but it was still a strong field and it turned out to be a fantastic event.
Banff isn't suited to host an Open, in the middle of nowhere and doesn't have the room for spectators. You're referring to Glen Abbey in Oakville, has hosted Canadian Open many times, a Jack Nicklaus design. When it was first built it was in the middle of nowhere, now it's more or less in the heart of Oakville. When it was privately owned they offered good rates when our Open had a September date. It's now owned by Clublink, they're no longer interested in ruffians such as myself :lol: I believe it's been up for sale for a while to developers, for housing. :( For the foreseeable future our Open will be played in East for TV broadcast reasons.

Canadian golf has taken a massive upsurge since Mike Weir won Masters in 2003, Golf Canada has put a lot of money into developing players and many play at a high level at US colleges. Cory Connors, Mac Hughes and Taylor Penrith were team mates at Kent State college. Canadian golf is in good hands.
This user liked this post: Big Vinny K