Hip Replacement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Hip Replacement

Post by beddie » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:06 pm

It’ll mean I’ll probably miss some games so it is football related. ;)

Just got my date for the end of July for a Hip Replacement. I Had a knee replacement 9 years ago but I have to say the pain associated with the hip has been far worse. I’ve read various bits about recovery but wondered if anyone has had their hip replaced and if so would welcome any tips, advice. Sounds like one of the things I’ll need is an extension for the toilet seat, lovely. I’m more concerned about not being able to sit down without discomfort which will probably mean missing some games at the start of the season.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Re: Hip Replacement

Post by 4midable » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:16 pm

Can i ask

How does 1 end up needing a hip replacment. Is it through years of a certain activity that have caused.it?

Just curious. Same with knee too

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:17 pm

My mum had hers done yesterday. Yes she has some toilet seat extension plus one on a chair in the lounge. She is in good form today. My dad had his done a few years ago and has been right as rain.

Funnily enough I am 52, normally fit as a fiddle, but for a year suffered with what I thought was sciatica. Following an inconclusive MRI scan I had an X ray and yep, I've arthritis in my right hip. Too young for an operation so am seeing doctor next week about steroid injections.

Not sure of your age but if you need a hip operation, get it done and relieve yourself of the pain.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:19 pm

4midable wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:16 pm
Can i ask

How does 1 end up needing a hip replacment. Is it through years of a certain activity that have caused.it?

I haven't a clue why it is my right hip with arthritis and left hip is absolutely fine 🥺

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:27 pm

beddie wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:06 pm
It’ll mean I’ll probably miss some games so it is football related. ;)

Just got my date for the end of July for a Hip Replacement. I Had a knee replacement 9 years ago but I have to say the pain associated with the hip has been far worse. I’ve read various bits about recovery but wondered if anyone has had their hip replaced and if so would welcome any tips, advice. Sounds like one of the things I’ll need is an extension for the toilet seat, lovely. I’m more concerned about not being able to sit down without discomfort which will probably mean missing some games at the start of the season.
My Mum has had both done.

They expect you to be active as soon as you can.

The biggest danger is sitting on something too low like your settee or toilet. My mum had a measured line on her walking stick to measure where she could sit.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:42 pm

Had mine done in 2011 after putting it off for a few years. Take it easy for first few weeks and listen to the physiotherapist, they know best.

After two ankle fusions and a total shoulder replacement, I have to say the hip surgery was a breeze.

Hope it’s as successful as mine has been.

UTC

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:46 pm

4midable wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:16 pm
Can i ask

Mine was caused because I have haemophilia, years and years of internal bleeding damaged the joint to the point where I could barely walk. Not activity related, just a health condition.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera 4midable

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10099 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:57 pm

I broke my my hip whilst cycling in Keswick in September 2015 and within months of having it screwed back together arthritis set in.
This gradually worsened until I finally had a replacement OP in August 2022.
I'm 69 years old and keep myself reasonably fit and I only missed one game at the beginning of the season.
Getting to the back row of the top tier in the Jimmy Mac was a challenge but it gradually got easier.
Age is just a number, you can get through this if you put your mind to it. 👍

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:35 pm

Had my right hip replaced 2019 (the left one is gradually getting worse. Being 'monitored' atm; not even on a waiting list yet (Bolton) check ups been cancelled 3 times this year!)
No problems after the surgery. It's important though that you do the rehab (crazily, some don't) As been said, follow what the physio says and you'll be fine.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:36 pm

Worked with two blokes who had them done, last one was about 3 years ago, he was back at work on light duties after a.month or so, I remember him saying it was more uncomfortable than painful post op, he fastidious did the physio and made a full recovery in no time. Good luck.

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 150 times

Post by Leon_C » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:39 pm

My mum's in recovery after a hip replacement. A couple of months into this now. She's in WAY less pain than before, and beginning to gain independence. Not driving yet - but I believe that the benefits now far outweight the pre-op negatives!

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:17 pm
My mum had hers done yesterday. Yes she has some toilet seat extension plus one on a chair in the lounge. She is in good form today. My dad had his done a few years ago and has been right as rain.

Funnily enough I am 52, normally fit as a fiddle, but for a year suffered with what I thought was sciatica. Following an inconclusive MRI scan I had an X ray and yep, I've arthritis in my right hip. Too young for an operation so am seeing doctor next week about steroid injections.

Not sure of your age but if you need a hip operation, get it done and relieve yourself of the pain.
My 46 year old mate has just his done, so not sure about the too young bit.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:20 pm

I wa 37 when I had to have my right hip done. Touch wood, it's still going strong. Partly because it was done at Wrightington by the country's best and also because I was told to how to look after it and have for 33 years.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 pm

My brother has had both hips done and he was up and about very quickly although the first one did force him to miss the home game against Aberdeen.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Whitgord » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:11 pm

It took me about 6 weeks to get back to some level of normal activity and to return to work. I think I was over cautious at first (probably thought I would dislocate the new hip) and, as a result, I do get some muscle pain around the new joint. I had mine done at age 52 and that’s 12 years ago. Doctor told me at the time that my other hip was equally as worn but it is fine so far. Apparently we all suffer from osteo arthritis as we get older but it’s just doesn’t hurt some people much at all.

Bribfc
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by Bribfc » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 pm

I had mine done when i was 46, after being diagnosed with a rare condition, AVN - Avascular necrosis. I put the op of for almost two years,until my hip went into total collapse, and needing to use crutches.

I had the op done at Wrightington, with a spinal and a little sedation, which i will be having for my other hip. No grogginess or sickliness. My recovery was very good and i was off crutches just after 6 weeks....

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks everyone for your input. My pre-op is next Wednesday 5th so I may find out more that day. It’s the arthritis that’s resulted in the hip replacement, after full recovery I’m lined up to have my right knee replaced. It’s amazing what they can do these days. I agree with everyone that’s mentioned listen and carry out the advice given by the physio. Thanks again.

Mondsley
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Mondsley » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:38 am

I had my left hip replaced on 9th February this year. If you follow the advice they give you at the pre op AND do the rehabilitation, you'll be fine. I needed an extension on the toilet and our settee had to be raised so that my hip was always above my knee. I was driving again after 6 weeks and ditched the crutches soon after. I did miss a number of games because of the seating issue, but we were on the TV almost every week so it wasn't too bad. The hardest thing I found was having to sleep on my back! Hope all goes well for you.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:27 pm

I've had both done, one in September 2018, and December 2021 ( Covid delayed the 2nd ) .... Mrs " Clarets4me " started saying it's " like living with an old man " around 2016, I was 53 or so, " If it's that bad go a see a Doctor ". I was directed to X-ray, and had an appointment with my GP, " I'm coming too, I never get a " right " tale from you .. " was Mrs C4m's response.

He pinned up the two X-rays on the backlit screen, " It is beyond me how you've not presented yourself here before, these are as bad as I've seen for someone your age, you must have been in agony ! " .... He reckoned it was a combination of competitive Rugby between 14-34, family history of osteo arthritis and a " big frame " !! It was a " toss up " which one to do first .... MrsC4m was very quiet on the way home, until she said " You never said it was that bad ! " ... " Didn't want to worry you, my sweet " I replied ... I milked that for a good few days !!

More seriously, being 6'4", i had the raised toilet seat, raised dining chair and bed. I found the first 10 days were difficult, but then things improve quite quickly. The one thing I would recommend is to assiduously do the post op exercises you are given, these are key to a good outcome ... not that I had much choice, Mrs C4m watched as I did them, both my mother & mother-in-law are retired Nurses, and my lovely daughter-in-law is a Senior Physio in the NHS ...

All best wishes for a speedy recovery, " Beddie " !!
This user liked this post: beddie

cartel47
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by cartel47 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:01 pm

Had both hips done. Secret is the exercises....did loads of hip abductor machines before and afterwards and just generally kept on the move doing more and more gradually building back to normal. Now golf 2/3 times a week ,10pin bowling league Mondays, am 76.
As for sleeping,I have never been able to sleep on my back. Slept on my side with my hip leg resting on a large/bulky cushion to keep it level.hope this helps.
This user liked this post: beddie