Wout is back

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Re: Wout is back

Post by spt_claret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:33 am

You'd think the armchair psychologists would have learned their lesson after having spent the last Prem season reliably informing us that McNeil is lazy, miserable and hates Sean Dyche and couldn't wait to get away from him, only for Dwight to click at Everton once Dyche arrived.

But nope. They're back to tell us that Roberts having a sigh before going into the boot room, and Roberts & Wout along with everyone else occasionally looking tired or hanging their head after doing a load of running and passing, means Roberts is now miserable, everyone hates Weghorst and Weghorst resents being there.

People see what they want to see and make things up to fit their existing opinion. I wonder how many these same people who act like they can tell all of this, are quick to feign sympathy for Foster or Dele Alli, or switch to "you can never tell if you don't know them".
This user liked this post: chekhov

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2605 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:23 am
He did okay for us when he was here (granted, not enough goals scored but that was us trying to play with him as if he was Chris Wood)

He did okay for United as well from what I saw (not the standard they need to push on, but he contributed)

He's technically good, works hard and presses well, and is pretty skilful - I don't think he's going to be a natural goal scorer at this level, but he will be much more suited to our current system than he was to the previous one

I think there was an argument on here that he might be our current best striker (Jay not the player he was, Foster still in development, Barnes moved on) and though that is more a criticism of our current striker options, its possibly correct

I'm possibly not seeing stuff that you are because I like him, but I think he can play a role this season

And if he's not fitting in, VK will bin him off asap, and I think the fact he is here suggests he's willing to give it all he's got
He works hard, but without effect. He had these pressing monster stats, but watching the game, the press was broadly ineffective, with him lumbering about behind the player, rather than disrupting them. I didn’t think he did influence or contribute much at United, and there was one game in particular where the show pony on the right wing, amongst others, did all in his power not to use Wout even when it was the right option.

I don’t care about his end of season leave to play higher stuff, but I’ve probably watched him a dozen times on tv between Burnley and Utd, and apart from one or two nice touches, I’ve not seen anything of note.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:47 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am
He works hard, but without effect. He had these pressing monster stats, but watching the game, the press was broadly ineffective, with him lumbering about behind the player, rather than disrupting them. I didn’t think he did influence or contribute much at United, and there was one game in particular where the show pony on the right wing, amongst others, did all in his power not to use Wout even when it was the right option.

I don’t care about his end of season leave to play higher stuff, but I’ve probably watched him a dozen times on tv between Burnley and Utd, and apart from one or two nice touches, I’ve not seen anything of note.
Fair enough, at least you've provided an analysis for your reluctance to see him back

I guess will we see

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:58 am

He's crap and on top of that he's the only person who can't see it! One rather nifty reverse pass to Jay who scored against Man U is the only meaningful contribution I can remember him making for us (apart from very kindly removing his huge wages from our weekly bill by buggering off to Old Trafford via Turkey whilst we battled to restore our PL status without him)

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:01 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:58 am
He's crap and on top of that he's the only person who can't see it! One rather nifty reverse pass to Jay who scored against Man U is the only meaningful contribution I can remember him making for us (apart from very kindly removing his huge wages from our weekly bill by buggering off to Old Trafford via Turkey whilst we battled to restore our PL status without him)
So will you cheer him or boo him this season?

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:06 pm

claretinkorea wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:01 pm
So will you cheer him or boo him this season?
I'll hope we ship him out before the season kicks off and use the money saved to sign a far better player, but if he's still hanging around and playing I'll do neither unless by around April he's proved me to be completely wrong about him, in which case I'll be happy to buy a massive humble pie in Oddies and chuck it at him!!!
This user liked this post: claretinkorea

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:06 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am

Is he currently our best striker though?

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:08 pm

The biggest issue is he is not good enough for English football. Nice touch but always chasing the game due to a lack of pace. Prepared to press but lack of pace means it is ineffective because the player in possession simply runs away from him. Really dodgy finishing when he happens to lumber into a position to shoot. **** in the air means he can't be a target up top. Properly mard and can't hold people off. He offers nothing. We need to shift him on back to Germany or Turkey or Saudi. He's complete shite.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2759 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:11 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:08 pm
The biggest issue is he is not good enough for English football. Nice touch but always chasing the game due to a lack of pace. Prepared to press but lack of pace means it is ineffective because the player in possession simply runs away from him. Really dodgy finishing when he happens to lumber into a position to shoot. **** in the air means he can't be a target up top. Properly mard and can't hold people off. He offers nothing. We need to shift him on back to Germany or Turkey or Saudi. He's complete shite.
Guaranteed to get a move to one of those countries if they read that write up 😂
This user liked this post: longsidepies

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2605 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:14 pm

claretcarrot93 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:06 pm
Is he currently our best striker though?
Depends what you define as best....

Pedigree / Levels played at
Technical Ability
Effectiveness

The most important one to me is the last one, and I do not believe he is as effective in the premier league as Jay is - mainly due to physical attributes.

FCBurnley
Has Liked: 1152 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:28 pm
I'm still realistic enough to get excited about United rejects coming to us!
Surely he was a Burnley reject going to United. Now that was exciting

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:15 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:08 pm
I'm guessing this is lifted word for word from the scouting report left on VK's desk. (Definitely wouldn't surprise me!)
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

xxmunkyennuixx

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:18 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:11 pm
Guaranteed to get a move to one of those countries if they read that write up 😂
:lol: :lol:

I'm normally really supportive and like all Clarets I've backed some really limited players but, he is shite. Money spent versus efficacy for the level we are at, he has to be down there as one of our most miserably ineffective signings.

Will quite happily be his agent.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:20 pm

I agree with previous posts.Get rid no loans we need to get rid permanently .Wout was signed to replace Chris Wood and turned out unable to make the step up from German football.A similar situation to others Rouven being one at Burnley and Timo Werner at Chelsea.

FCBurnley
Has Liked: 1152 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:23 pm

Doesn’t matter how good a player is unless he really wants to play for his club

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:25 pm

Be interesting to see if there’s last minute movement for his services, probably from abroad. I imagine his Agent is working hard at the moment.
These 3 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Dark Cloud xxmunkyennuixx

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 563 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:58 am
He's crap and on top of that he's the only person who can't see it!...
Nooooooo. He might've pulled the wool over the eyes of those clueless fools, who call themselves (and somehow get paid for being) football coaches & managers at various clubs and indeed one national side around Europe, but he's been found out by the genuine experts on this forum and surely their opinions are the ones that really matter.

Then of course there are those who don't necessarily agree that he's crap, but who do need a pantomime villain to blame for every setback at the club; Jeff Hendrick was only one of a long line of targets for their bile. And while they're publicly bitching about the idea of Wout returning to the fold, in private they're creaming their jeans at the prospect of having such an easy target for their vitriol.

To be fair, the rest of us ought to cut those 'real fans' some slack; after all, they all spent last season having to work their little cotton-socks off to find reasons to denegrate players in our Championship winning team. Muric was their favoured target, though even he too often made it difficult (though never impossible) for the haters, to have a pop.

I do wonder if getting Wout back in the side might be the Club's contribution to those unfortunates? Making this an easier season for them: I mean, Wout chose to play in the World Cup Finals rather than play for us last season, so even if he were to be the Premiership player of the year and score forty goals, he could still be slagged off. Go on lads dip your bread.

xxmunkyennuixx

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:30 pm
Nooooooo. He might've pulled the wool over the eyes of those clueless fools, who call themselves (and somehow get paid for being) football coaches & managers at various clubs and indeed one national side around Europe, but he's been found out by the genuine experts on this forum and surely their opinions are the ones that really matter.
Most of us have watched a fair bit of Wout amble up and down now - what are you seeing in his performances that we have missed that will make him amazing next season?

colnbev
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by colnbev » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:18 pm

Not read all 168 posts so apologises if this has already been put forward.
If WW is part of VKs plans for next season then fair enough.
If not, then welcoming him back in a way to make it look as if he is a valued squad member sends a message to any possible suitors that they will have to pay to prise him away from us. If on the other hand you snub him and make him train with the academy team then that's more or less saying "He's available for £20 and a years subscription to Netflix!"
Think that the way the club has handled his return so far gives us a better chance of keeping his stock as high as possible
for any potential transfer out.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:18 pm

I'm still not sure why Weghorst takes the rap for having a seemingly unprovoked verbal attack launched at him by Roberts.
This user liked this post: BradTee93

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 563 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:39 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
...what are you seeing in his performances that we have missed that will make him amazing next season?
I'm far from convinced that he will be but I'm a realist, rather than a forum expert; when he's fit/playing at his best Jay-Rod's a better footballer than Wout; but for the other 33 or 34 games of the season, I think that WW would do the better job for us in avoiding relegation.
If BFC are to do much better than just avoiding relegation over the coming season, then I believe that it will require Lyle Foster or A N Other who we've not yet signed to come good. Harry Kane or better yet that Haaland kid (after all, we are allegedly targetting younger players with a sell-on value) would be good choices.
But as I've already said, I live in the real world and with Ash Barnes gone - not that that'd have changed my opion - Wout Weghorst is the best that we have and I can't see us securing anyone better for the money that we'd raise by selling him.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:53 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:39 pm
Wout Weghorst is the best that we have and I can't see us securing anyone better for the money that we'd raise by selling him.
I'm giving it less than a 1% chance that we don't bring in a forward this summer. We're clearly willing to spend money to improve the squad.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 628 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:56 pm

It’s almost Asif the media team thought let’s have a 5min training video and let’s feature roberts and Weghorst separately throughout the video to get the fans talking.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the so called incident between the 2 wasn’t sorted straight away after the game

blake's wand
Been Liked: 54 times

Post by blake's wand » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:06 pm

I can't believe some people are saying that Barnes is genuinely better - I love Barnes but I think Wout has a much higher ceiling. Please tell me why Man U went after him, and then continually played him AND he made the Dutch WC team and scored a few goals, if he is terrible? His personality might be a different issue, but on pure ability alone he is a step-up to what we have in the squad. If he isn't, why didn't Man U go after Barnes or J-Rod?
This user liked this post: Quicknick

xxmunkyennuixx

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:23 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:39 pm
But as I've already said, I live in the real world and with Ash Barnes gone - not that that'd have changed my opion - Wout Weghorst is the best that we have and I can't see us securing anyone better for the money that we'd raise by selling him.
That's quite a negative mindset. I'd be amazed if we did not sign a striker. Last year we unearthed a lot of gems, I think we will do so again. Wout is not quick enough or physical enough to play English football successfully. We can find someone with those attributes.

This United chatter - one word - Glazers. Rancid owners with poor judgement. ETH took a player to fill a gap in desperation. He was never staying long term. He's not top half quality, he would struggle in the Championship. He lacks pace and physicality. The international football comparison - Premier League is of a higher standard more frequently.

Wout is shite, he needs selling.
This user liked this post: Carwin261

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:33 pm

Watching the training video ,even there he seemed to be demanding the ball a lot of the time as if it’s all about “Me Me Me “ ,I think he’s a legend in is own mind.

equinox
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:18 pm
I'm still not sure why Weghorst takes the rap for having a seemingly unprovoked verbal attack launched at him by Roberts.
Hardly unprovoked, the guy had just scored the winner in the last minute, remember what Martin Keown did to Van Nistelrooy? And he didn't even score!

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Then of course there are those who don't necessarily agree that he's crap, but who do need a pantomime villain to blame for every setback at the club; Jeff Hendrick was only one of a long line of targets for their bile. And while they're publicly bitching about the idea of Wout returning to the fold, in private they're creaming their jeans at the prospect of having such an easy target for their vitriol.

To be fair, the rest of us ought to cut those 'real fans' some slack; after all, they all spent last season having to work their little cotton-socks off to find reasons to denegrate players in our Championship winning team. Muric was their favoured target, though even he too often made it difficult (though never impossible) for the haters, to have a pop.

I do wonder if getting Wout back in the side might be the Club's contribution to those unfortunates? Making this an easier season for them: I mean, Wout chose to play in the World Cup Finals rather than play for us last season, so even if he were to be the Premiership player of the year and score forty goals, he could still be slagged off. Go on lads dip your bread.
TBF I'm not a serial "slagger offer" and I actually rarely, if ever do it. I never get on anybody's back publicly at the game although I may occasionally, quietly say something less than complimentary about a player to the guy sitting next to me. I never joined in the "hunt for Hendrick" or "bashing the Boyd", even on here, but Wout really does seriously underwhelm me and if we can't shift him and get somebody better then I think we'll struggle up front.
Having said all that, I do believe 100% in VK and if ultimately he says he wants him and feels he's up to it I'm happy to be proved wrong.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10261 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:33 pm
Watching the training video ,even there he seemed to be demanding the ball a lot of the time as if it’s all about “Me Me Me “ ,I think he’s a legend in is own mind.
Then again, if he'd not been doing that our body language experts would no doubt have been telling us how disinterested and isolated he looked...
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum AfloatinClaret spt_claret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:39 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
This thread has huge potential for the expert watchers of club videos it has to be said

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 628 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Surely you aren’t critiquing him for wanting the ball in training and turning around to make out he thinks it’s all about him? Must be on the wind up

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:42 pm

This has to be one of the most painful threads I've ever seen on here.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Quicknick CoolClaret

NickBFC
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 291 times

Post by NickBFC » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:54 pm

I'm as disappointed as anyone the way he has generally played and behaved whilst at Burnley. However, and it is a big however, IF he stays, and IF he knuckles down and actually performs then I'd back him like any other player. For what it's worth I think he'll be gone by the end of the transfer window but in the meantime let's see how he does.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:59 pm

Jambounchained wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:42 pm
This has to be one of the most painful threads I've ever seen on here.
it's embarrassing
This user liked this post: Gerry Hattrick

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:01 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
Most of us have watched a fair bit of Wout amble up and down now - what are you seeing in his performances that we have missed that will make him amazing next season?
The thing is, no-one has said he'll be amazing next season. Some have said that he might fit the system OK or that he is better than our other current options.

All the hyperbole is from the people shouting how crap the guy who last season went to Turkey and averaged 1 in 2, scored a brace in the World Cup quarter finals against the eventual winners and went to Man Utd, played in virtually every single game including 2 domestic cup finals and Europa League games against Barcelona and came 3rd in the league is.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:05 pm

Whatever era you play in, if you play for the Dutch national team no are no mug.

Whatever VK decides we all need to get behind the decision.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 1079 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:06 pm

For me he can come back with a clean slate, also we can treat it like a loan until the January window, he's got several month's to prove himself if he doesn't we ship him out

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:06 pm

Might be thinking hes going to play ten behind Foster or J Rod

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:07 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Demanding the ball!!!! Sell him now!!!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:10 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
but the old adage about ‘If you’ve nothing nice to say then don’t say it’

Your own very words just this week

xxmunkyennuixx

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:23 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:01 pm
The thing is, no-one has said he'll be amazing next season. Some have said that he might fit the system OK or that he is better than our other current options.

All the hyperbole is from the people shouting how crap the guy who last season went to Turkey and averaged 1 in 2, scored a brace in the World Cup quarter finals against the eventual winners and went to Man Utd, played in virtually every single game including 2 domestic cup finals and Europa League games against Barcelona and came 3rd in the league is.
It is not hyperbolic to state he is too limited in terms of mobility and physicality to be of use. We have seen nothing in his spell with us or on loan at United to demonstrate how he will work inside the systems and tactics we employed last season. He has built a fairly decent sample size for himself - how many goals, how many chances created? Four assists and two goals in Premier League football. I think I have that right. Some of this on loan at United... an elite team and he still didn't score or provide chances.

Already covered United's predicament and international football. Players are sometimes signed as stop gaps eg. Falcao, Larsson, Ighalo. United have a history of it.

I will not be sat at the ground launching abuse at him. I would expect us to be struggling in the bottom three with him in the team. We can do better, I think we will sign better. I expect he will be sold making this thread redundant in many ways.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sell him now! Having the sheer audacity to ask for the ball on a football pitch. Get rid

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18295 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:55 pm

I read on another thread he got an assist today v Burton in a training ground game this afternoon (after coming on for the last 10 mins) maybe VK knows more than a few on here

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:00 pm

Yep - assist for Costelloe late on.

Showed a few good touches but only got about 10 or 15 minutes.

Straight swap for Jay Rod when he came on playing as central striker.

Edit to add - a few players went went out their way to congratulate him for the assist which was good to see - none of the others who assisted (I think Zaroury and Roberts) got a slap on the back!

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:05 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm
TBF I'm not a serial "slagger offer" and I actually rarely, if ever do it. I never get on anybody's back publicly at the game although I may occasionally, quietly say something less than complimentary about a player to the guy sitting next to me. I never joined in the "hunt for Hendrick" or "bashing the Boyd", even on here, but Wout really does seriously underwhelm me and if we can't shift him and get somebody better then I think we'll struggle up front.
Having said all that, I do believe 100% in VK and if ultimately he says he wants him and feels he's up to it I'm happy to be proved wrong.
There will be a lot proved wrong DC but let’s see if VK wants him first , or if indeed Weghorst really wants to be here. Too early to know with any certainty.
Interestingly Gary Birtles played 28 games in his first season at Man Utd and didn’t score a league goal. The following season he got into double figures. Maybe we might have some Weghorst joy after all

HitchinClaret
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by HitchinClaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:18 pm

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him starting our first game than if we had to go with Jay.
This user liked this post: pushpinpussy

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:41 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:23 pm
It is not hyperbolic to state he is too limited in terms of mobility and physicality to be of use. We have seen nothing in his spell with us or on loan at United to demonstrate how he will work inside the systems and tactics we employed last season.
Our CFs (Jay and Barnes) were constantly dropping deep, back to goal, holding off defenders for a flick or pass wide or into Tella running into the space they vacated. They did this all the time, all season.

Other parts of his game can be questioned but this is the exact role that WW excels at, that he always looks good doing, with us and what I saw at United. He is easily better than Jay and Barnes at it and would be absolutely suited to it in the PL.

I don't see us playing that way 100% of the time next season as defences will be higher, but I'd assume it'll still be the default tactic.

He's also massive and we're a pretty small side. When we play Brentford, Luton, Sheff Utd and other set piece teams he'll be very useful defensively.

He's paid for and in the door, he's rarely injured, good engine, and works very hard. Dyche's criticism was that he was trying to do too much. If he stays he'll be very good for us this season.

Weird thread this.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:49 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:00 pm
Yep - assist for Costelloe late on.

Showed a few good touches but only got about 10 or 15 minutes.

Straight swap for Jay Rod when he came on playing as central striker.

Edit to add - a few players went went out their way to congratulate him for the assist which was good to see - none of the others who assisted (I think Zaroury and Roberts) got a slap on the back!
Weird that a poster who comes across like a trolling Bastards fine in so many of their posts knows so much about what went on in behind closed doors friendly.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:54 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:49 pm
Weird that a poster who comes across like a trolling Bastards fine in so many of their posts knows so much about what went on in behind closed doors friendly.
Fair enough. I won’t post anything further then unless it’s just my personal opinion on things.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2576 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:11 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:54 pm
Fair enough. I won’t post anything further then unless it’s just my personal opinion on things.
Can’t we have it the other way around?

Your pre season game updates seem oreyt enough but your opinions on stuff are ‘kin pony.