Weghorst Reception

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Re: Weghorst Reception

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:54 pm
There was certainly a lot of booing in the 80's at the final whistle
A lot more recent than that too, but booing individual players when they've just entered the pitch is beyond belmtardery.
These 3 users liked this post: Wokingclaret Vegas Claret Lubanski

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:20 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 pm
A lot more recent than that too, but booing individual players when they've just entered the pitch is beyond belmtardery.
I didn’t boo and never will.Fully understand it though.He’s brought it upon himself.

Robbie_painter

Post by Robbie_painter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:25 pm

I also remember stewart getting booed from the longside and running past calling us all wankers 😂

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:46 pm

Could it be that Belgian beer is a bit strong and made the jeering fans lose all their inhibitions.And when back home the alehouses they usually frequent the beer is **** and their actions may be a little more subdued

Gerry Hattrick
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by Gerry Hattrick » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:01 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:17 pm
Your grammar skills are certainly childish.
Grammar skills or grammatical skills?

Robbie_painter

Post by Robbie_painter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 pm

Ptangyangkipperbang wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:46 pm
Could it be that Belgian beer is a bit strong and made the jeering fans lose all their inhibitions.And when back home the alehouses they usually frequent the beer is **** and their actions may be a little more subdued
It was 3 or 4 young lads.Not even noticeable.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:07 pm

I didn’t boo and never will.Fully understand it though.He’s brought it upon himself.
Why?... Because of a contract covenant that he and also the club agreed to?...

If he is being called a w@nker and booed because of that, then they may as well boo Alan Pace as well...

I'm not surprised to be honest sadly though... Going off what I see in here with near enough every player we've ever had written off at one stage and even Muric being booed, it is what I expect of the gurning, teeth-grinding mob I see on the Turf... They are not the brightest bunch and I can't wait until this progressive board price them out so I can come down from corporate hospitality again!

That's not just the kids either, many of the 40 years old plus fans I see on match day are completely asinine and high on alcohol and the white stuff... I'm not one to get embarrassed but there is no doubt that this is another embarrassing recent stain on our support and it is being widely reported nationwide... It is about time, we were being reported nationwide for positives about the club but we don't help ourselves!
This user liked this post: AmbleClaret

Robbie_painter

Post by Robbie_painter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:11 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:07 pm
Why?... Because of a contract covenant that he and also the club agreed to?...

If he is being called a w@nker and booed because of that, then they may as well boo Alan Pace as well...

I'm not surprised to be honest sadly though... Going off what I see in here with near enough every player we've ever had written off at one stage and even Muric being booed, it is what I expect of the gurning, teeth-grinding mob I see on the Turf... They are not the brightest bunch and I can't wait until this progressive board price them out so I can come down from corporate hospitality again!

That's not just the kids either, many of the 40 years old plus fans I see on match day are completely asinine and high on alcohol and the white stuff... I'm not one to get embarrassed but there is no doubt that this is another embarrassing recent stain on our support and it is being widely reported nationwide... It is about time, we were being reported nationwide for positives about the club but we don't help ourselves!
Give it a rest mate,muric has never been booed and the people you so eloquently describe are fellow Burnley fans.Over reaction is an understatement.

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:17 pm

Hopefully this issue resolves itself in the coming weeks when Weghorst is sold.

That would be a win-win all-round, especially for VK.

Kompany has a potential problem go away and gets a bit of cash to further assist his recruitment this summer.

And the Weghorstian snowflakes can then fret about some other kind of behaviour that they don't approve of :)

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:24 pm

Try to ignore all known connotations and look at the words alone, Weghorstian Snowflakes sounds like an epic prog-rock album title.
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill forzagranata longsidepies

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:26 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:17 pm
Hopefully this issue resolves itself in the coming weeks when Weghorst is sold.

That would be a win-win all-round, especially for VK.

Kompany has a potential problem go away and gets a bit of cash to further assist his recruitment this summer.
I agree with this. I hope he gets a decent move and BFC gets reasonable money for him.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:28 pm

It would definitely be best for everyone concerned if he moves on during this window.

Hopefully we get a few quid back on him soon, or we find someone who'll take him on loan for a bit.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:03 am

It would be best if he stayed and scored 20 goals.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

claretdj
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 175 times

Post by claretdj » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:32 am

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:03 am
& then you woke up.. :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:50 am

IanMcL wrote:
thing is Ian, he could stay and score 70 goals, be man of the match every single game and win the Ballon D'or and some folk would still hold him leaving for a season (as agreed by the club) against him - sadly that's the nature of small minded folk.
These 2 users liked this post: Cooclaret IanMcL

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:41 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:50 am
thing is Ian, he could stay and score 70 goals, be man of the match every single game and win the Ballon D'or and some folk would still hold him leaving for a season (as agreed by the club) against him - sadly that's the nature of small minded folk.
Calling people small minded who don’t share your opinion… delicious irony there Vegas :D
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:42 am

IanMcL wrote:
It would also be best if I won the Euro Jackpot and never had to work a day in my lift again :lol:

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:42 am
It would also be best if I won the Euro Jackpot and never had to work a day in my lift again :lol:
Bellboy - carry the bloody baggage out. :D
These 2 users liked this post: ksrclaret IanMcL

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 am
Bellboy - carry the bloody baggage out. :D
That bloody lift :D :shock:
This user liked this post: IanMcL

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:11 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:01 am
Swizzlestick hate is the only word I can use to describe some of the comments I have seen on him.
There are a lot of people on twitter with the IQ of a 10 year old who work themselves into a frenzy at the slightest thing, I wouldn't be rushing to think a few noisy bellends represent the majority
This user liked this post: Quicknick

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:18 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm
Sorry ,but I just don’t like the guy ,had mine own business for many years ,I blame him ,and the club , if someone came to me ,and said I want a job with your firm,but if things get tough “I’m on my bike “ I’d have thought no way ,should never have been allowed anywhere near Turf Moor
It's about a week since you urged people to think what they are posting online and if you have nothing nice to say about a player then to say nothing.

How's that going ?
These 5 users liked this post: basil6345789 nil_desperandum Claretnick CoolClaret Vegas Claret

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:08 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm
Sorry ,but I just don’t like the guy ,had mine own business for many years ,I blame him ,and the club , if someone came to me ,and said I want a job with your firm,but if things get tough “I’m on my bike “ I’d have thought no way ,should never have been allowed anywhere near Turf Moor
Is this business you had selling commas to sign makers ?
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:34 am

Whatever arrangement he made to leave on loan is basically smart business judgment by him/his agent. We were desperate for a striker, he was desperate to play, his agents managed to get him what he wanted. Smart move, would do exactly the same myself. What people fail to realise is that he has 18 months left on his contract, he hasn't shunned or disrespected anybody and no club has any real interest in him after his stint at Utd.

At fag packet calculation, est £50K per week (could be more) with 78 weeks remaining on his contract is £3.9m. To be a bench warmer?!?

If we continue to boo him and break him down, are people we actually happy to have him sit on a bench/reserves doing nothing at all on the money he is on? Burnley fans think that's actually smart?

Get behind him FFS
These 5 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Lubanski longsidepies Claretnick Vegas Claret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:05 am

From the Athletic today:

‘It is, though, difficult to see how he begins to mend the bridges broken with supporters by his exit in 2022 and his subsequent revelation, made while on international duty that summer, that he had a verbal agreement with owner and chairman Alan Pace that if Burnley were relegated he would be allowed to leave.

To some supporters, it felt like he was too eager to jump ship, although in reality, Weghorst was simply telling the truth. That agreement was, indeed, in place — Burnley having agreed to it as they desperately tried to fill the void left by then-relegation battle rivals Newcastle triggering fellow striker Chris Wood’s release clause earlier in that same winter window.

Weghorst was taking a big risk in joining a club positioned precariously in the drop zone, so the deal was struck, although there was some surprise at Turf Moor that it was made public.’

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:16 am

Not read the thread, because it would only make me mad.
Weghorst did nothing wrong, he put in a caveat on signing, that the club were happy to accept.
IF it hadn't have been a WC year, I doubt the caveat would have been included.
If what he did was so wrong, why did the club accept it, and why are the club blameless.
Without Wout we won the league with 101 points, so his non appearance cost us nothing.

He shouldn't be booed, those who did should be ashamed of themselves imo, and those that join in are just sheep. I wanted him to stay, I think he could have done a great job for us this season. Now he has to go, for his sake. He doesn't deserve this crap, and we don't deserve his effort.
This user liked this post: Claretnick

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:45 am

He didn't put much effort in at Watford towards the end of that season, nor did he need to throw a tantrum when he was substituted or head off down the tunnel.

All those sort of things add to some fans frustrations with him, you could possibly add the on field spat with Roberts whilst on international duty into that mix as well.

I would never condone booing Burnley players, particularly whilst on the field of play but I can understand why a few young lads did this especially after a few pints.

Going back to that Watford game....Tarkowski had to leave the squad on Friday to head home following an emergency situation with one of his children.
No doubt he had very little sleep that night with all the worry but the following morning rushed back all the way to Watford because he knew how important the game was for the club.

Despite scoring an unfortunate own goal he had an excellent game and when you compare all that to Weghorst's tantrum when Michael Jackson took him off it does leave a sour taste with some of our support.
This user liked this post: Carwin261

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 am

Targetman wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:45 am
He didn't put much effort in at Watford towards the end of that season, nor did he need to throw a tantrum when he was substituted or head off down the tunnel.

All those sort of things add to some fans frustrations with him, you could possibly add the on field spat with Roberts whilst on international duty into that mix as well.

I would never condone booing Burnley players, particularly whilst on the field of play but I can understand why a few young lads did this especially after a few pints.

Going back to that Watford game....Tarkowski had to leave the squad on Friday to head home following an emergency situation with one of his children.
No doubt he had very little sleep that night with all the worry but the following morning rushed back all the way to Watford because he knew how important the game was for the club.

Despite scoring an unfortunate own goal he had an excellent game and when you compare all that to Weghorst's tantrum when Michael Jackson took him off it does leave a sour taste with some of our support.
He put effort in every game. There were stats that showed he had the highest volume of presses recorded in the entire PL season in one game. Being disappointed at being substituted is a reflection on his own poor performance(s). Dyche alluded to this once or twice. The Athletic article also pointed towards him being self critical. Having said that I’m not sure where a ‘tantrum’ was seen.

I’m also not sure how Roberts charging into him and aggressively saying something in his face is somehow his fault, could you explain that one?
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum spt_claret IanMcL

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:40 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 am
He put effort in every game. There were stats that showed he had the highest volume of presses recorded in the entire PL season in one game. Being disappointed at being substituted is a reflection on his own poor performance(s). Dyche alluded to this once or twice. The Athletic article also pointed towards him being self critical. Having said that I’m not sure where a ‘tantrum’ was seen.

I’m also not sure how Roberts charging into him and aggressively saying something in his face is somehow his fault, could you explain that one?
Not doubting his effort ,it’s ok showing stats to say he did the most pressing,but there’s a difference in pressing at the right time rather than running round like an headless chicken.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:45 am

The Athletic piece also says:

Relationships will need to be mended. During that relegation run-in, Weghorst was not a happy boy around the training ground because of his own form. There were suggestions he clashed with team-mates, some of whom interpreted his self-confidence as arrogance.

IMO it all comes down to Kompany now. Does he actually want him as part of the squad?

We don't know but we'll find out in due course.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:07 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:40 am
Not doubting his effort ,it’s ok showing stats to say he did the most pressing,but there’s a difference in pressing at the right time rather than running round like an headless chicken.
This is the prime example of someone just refusing to accept that they’re wrong in the face of evidence.

Why double down?

‘Weghorst didn’t care’ - poster highlights (with facts) that he infact ran his ******** off (the number one indicator of a player/squad down tooling is when their running/sprint stats drop) …. ‘Oh well he was just a headless chicken’ - facepalm 🤦‍♂️

Honestly the mentality of the Weghorst haters on here is proper high school/small town ****. Get over it.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:09 pm

RVclaret wrote:

"Tantrum" - outburst of energy through frustration or anger, particularly from a child....
I just put the word into google and that was the definition it gave me.

Were you at Vicarage Road or did you watch on a live stream? I'm sure that if you did then you must have seen this as he refused to sit on the bench and headed down the tunnel.

I didn't say that the Roberts incident was Weghorst's fault, could you point out where I did? However I did say that all these things involving Weghorst have accumulated in the minds of some of our support.

It appears that you dont have any time for posters who have different opinions on players to yourself.

Nothing wrong with any players being self critical with their performance but there are ways and means of showing it. I don't feel that venting that sort of frustration whilst being substituted is the right time to do it. That just leaves yourself open to ridicule from opposing fans and criticism from your own fans.

If you don't agree with my thoughts then that is fine but possibly you might need to have a little more patience with Burnley fans who have a different outlook than yourself regarding our players.

It could well be that Weghorst stays with us and scores some vital goals, it that happens I will cheer every time he does so. However that wont change some peoples opinions of him as a person rather than a player, and they are certainly entitled to those opinions whether you agree or not.
This user liked this post: Carwin261

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Targetman wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:09 pm

Were you at Vicarage Road or did you watch on a live stream? I'm sure that if you did then you must have seen this as he refused to sit on the bench and headed down the tunnel.
Are you saying that he headed down the tunnel and then changed his mind and went to sit on the bench ?
Because 100% he was sat on the bench when we scored after he had been substituted

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:23 pm

Targetman wrote:
"Tantrum" - outburst of energy through frustration or anger, particularly from a child....

I didn't say that the Roberts incident was Weghorst's fault, could you point out where I did? However I did say that all these things involving Weghorst have accumulated in the minds of some of our support.

It appears that you dont have any time for posters who have different opinions on players to yourself.

Nothing wrong with any players being self critical with their performance but there are ways and means of showing it. I don't feel that venting that sort of frustration whilst being substituted is the right time to do it. That just leaves yourself open to ridicule from opposing fans and criticism from your own fans.

If you don't agree with my thoughts then that is fine but possibly you might need to have a little more patience with Burnley fans who have a different outlook than yourself regarding our players.

It could well be that Weghorst stays with us and scores some vital goals, it that happens I will cheer every time he does so. However that wont change some peoples opinions of him as a person rather than a player, and they are certainly entitled to those opinions whether you agree or not.
Why makes you think I don’t have time for other opinions on our players? Surely taking the time to reply and discuss points towards the contrary?

I honestly can’t remember Weghorst going straight down the tunnel. Maybe you are right, I don’t know. I do know he was on the bench when we scored. I also get why some people might find that kind of attitude a bit frustrating. But it was hardly Ronaldo’s behaviour at Man United last season, stropping because he thought he was better than others.

Re. Roberts, you (and others) highlight this incident as though it looks bad on Weghorst. I saw a comment this morning on twitter ‘his incident with Roberts means he’ll struggle to win fans over’ - I don’t get it. Roberts was clearly the instigator yet Burnley fans seem to love him for it?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm

I wont boo any Burnley player wearing the shirt
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Buxtonclaret

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:52 pm

RVclaret wrote:

Agree on all of this.
Roberts had a good second half to the season, but he openly admitted he was half-hearted prior to the World Cup as he had his eye on Qatar. He's also got a habit of stroppy/petulant behaviour on the pitch, including sometimes trying to dive or otherwise cheat (his attempted handball vs Boro, a phantom head injury flopping at a corner to try win a pen against I forget who). I'll back him because he's a Burnley player, I'll support and cheer him on even if I will criticise some of his actions, but he's hardly a paragon when it comes to footballing attitudes.

Weghorst the same- I think that he underperformed relative to what I hoped and expected from him, regardless of debates about the role he played under Dyche/Jackson, I think his loan departure, personally was well handled in that I would take brutal honesty over platitudes every time, but has been proven to be a PR mistake as apparently most people who say that they want plain honest talking only want it if they like the sentiment.

And him coming off in a sulk always felt a storm in a teacup to me. Again I'd want a player who is angry at a poor performance, holds themselves to high standards, and even if the team wins, is still annoyed if they don't feel like they did well- it shows they're someone who wants to contribute and pull their weight. But then I also never understood the animosity Brian Jensen got when he requested to be transfer listed- to me, he went UP in my estimate for that, he was showing he wasn't happy to just sit collecting a paycheque for doing nothing and wanted to play and be involved.

Apparently this view's in the minority, but for me, blunt honesty and an inability to be satisfied with 'good enough' are excellent attributes for a sportsman to have- regardless of how disappointing his output for us may have been compared to hopes & expectations.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:18 pm

IMHO Weghorst should not wear a Burnley shirt again. The way he went about his "temporary" exit in 2022 was unprofessional and disrespectful. There was no need to say anything about not playing for Burnley in the Championship he should have done it all behind the scenes, especially if there was an agreement in place, although verbal agreements mean nothing...write it into a contract.

On his temperament, looks at his move from Beşiktaş to Man Utd. Again, smacked of a spoilt child stamping his feet. He used Beşiktaş and they should feel aggrieved at that. It maybe cultural but it seems his attitude could ruin a dressing.

That said, you shouldn't boo a player whilst wearing a Burnley shirt. Some people need to hold their beer better (strong that Belgium stuff).

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:27 pm

Targetman wrote:

Weirdly people also complained that he just stayed sat on the bench when we scored rather than jumping up to celebrate.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:40 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:27 pm
Weirdly people also complained that he just stayed sat on the bench when we scored rather than jumping up to celebrate.
He'd have banged his head.

;)

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:44 pm

Pretty pleased that its almost unanimous that he shouldn't be booed

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:46 pm

Targetman wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:45 am

A 'tantrum', Targetman? Not as defined in my dictionary.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:47 pm

When Kompany said we need the Turf to be like hell next season he meant for the opposition players not our own
These 2 users liked this post: ŽižkovClaret BleedingClaret

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:38 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:23 pm
Why makes you think I don’t have time for other opinions on our players? Surely taking the time to reply and discuss points towards the contrary?

I honestly can’t remember Weghorst going straight down the tunnel. Maybe you are right, I don’t know. I do know he was on the bench when we scored. I also get why some people might find that kind of attitude a bit frustrating. But it was hardly Ronaldo’s behaviour at Man United last season, stropping because he thought he was better than others.

Re. Roberts, you (and others) highlight this incident as though it looks bad on Weghorst. I saw a comment this morning on twitter ‘his incident with Roberts means he’ll struggle to win fans over’ - I don’t get it. Roberts was clearly the instigator yet Burnley fans seem to love him for it?
I mentioned the incident with Roberts and Weghorst because it was 2 Burnley players on opposite teams seemingly falling out with one another whilst on international duty.

Yes of course Roberts instigated the incident, never at any point did I say it was down to Weghorst even though you seem to think that I did, but I think you are missing my point in all of this......
What I was saying is that there have been 3 or 4 things going on in that relegation season and beyond which directly or indirectly involve Weghorst, and again in my opinion, these things however trivial they seem to be for some people are more of a big deal for other people.

A few young lads who had possibly been on the beer all day took it upon themselves to let their feelings be known to Weghorst. My point was that rightly or wrongly the Weghorst 'incidents' had accumulated in their minds over the last year or so and it seems they have taken a dislike to him.

Do you think Weghorst heard them when he was coming off the bench? Even if he did hear them do you think it will have upset him?
I doubt it very much!

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:43 pm

bf2k wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:18 pm

On his temperament, looks at his move from Beşiktaş to Man Utd. Again, smacked of a spoilt child stamping his feet. He used Beşiktaş and they should feel aggrieved at that.
By all accounts Besiktas (club officials and not just fans) were very aggrieved by the way he dumped them after the World Cup and forced his way out of his loan deal.

Now if they were to re-sign him now, do you think all Besiktas fans would stand and applaud him onto the field?
This user liked this post: bf2k

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:56 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:43 pm
By all accounts Besiktas (club officials and not just fans) were very aggrieved by the way he dumped them after the World Cup and forced his way out of his loan deal.

Now if they were to re-sign him now, do you think all Besiktas fans would stand and applaud him onto the field?
Not sure how that's relevant.
He signed a year long loan agreement with them and wanted to leave early, whereas it was, - apparently -agreed by BFC, (as part of him signing for us), that he could go out on loan should we be relegated. So he didn't break any contract or agreement.
Maybe some will feel aggrieved about the way in which he moved on, but he just did what his contract allowed him to do, and if we are honest we got 101 points and promotion without him and weren't paying his wages, so it worked out well for us.
(One could even make a strong case that the money saved on his wages last season allowed us to bring in one or two of our loan signings since there wages would have been considerably lower than his).

TPClaret
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by TPClaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:30 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm
I wont boo any Burnley player wearing the shirt
Absolutely. I don’t want him back. But I’d never boo him in the shirt

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:22 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:44 pm
Pretty pleased that its almost unanimous that he shouldn't be booed
I know you don’t like Twitter but go on there I’ve randomly seen more than handful say they will continue booing him.

I will be interested to see how that goes down on the turf.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:56 pm

What people say and do are two entirely different things, especially when it comes to social media. What are they going to do should he score a goal - sit on their hands while loudly booing? Not a chance. More like a case of the past being quickly forgotten.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:11 pm

We are one of the most tolerant sets of fans in the football league when it comes to backing whose on the pitch . I’ve hardly ever heard players booed even when they’ve been going through lean times . If WW stays apart from a muted “ few grumbles n groans “ as his name’s read out I very much doubt he’ll be booed as such . I don’t see him staying though .

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:22 pm

I think there’s more than a few people who don’t won’t WW back ,the last time I remember a player causing so much division amongst the fans was Joey Barton ,and he didn’t turn out too bad but I think his attitude towards his team mates was exceptional,videos showing him singing with Scott Arfield,and Ben Mee ,& his positivity in the dressing room won the fans over,WW seems to come across as a bit of a loner,he’s a lot of work to do to win over all the fans.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:31 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:22 pm
I think there’s more than a few people who don’t won’t WW back ,the last time I remember a player causing so much division amongst the fans was Joey Barton ,and he didn’t turn out too bad but I think his attitude towards his team mates was exceptional,videos showing him singing with Scott Arfield,and Ben Mee ,& his positivity in the dressing room won the fans over,WW seems to come across as a bit of a loner,he’s a lot of work to do to win over all the fans.

He would have won the fans over had he scored a few goals.