Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: Mission to Burnley

Post by Spiral » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:46 pm

But I thought I was a chatbot? Is it schoolchild or robot?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:47 pm

Lots of sensitive souls on here. I’m not sure whether they are intentionally missing the point or really don’t understand it. I think for most it’s the former.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:51 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:44 pm
The look at me one I think. There will be more of this unfortunately until the schools go back in September.
Also, you draw attention to yourself when you post only to accuse someone of attempting to draw attention to themselves. You do the thing you accuse me of doing. It's the same song, just a different key. It's kind of like how a *tut* in public is as much for the tutter's gratification as it is to publicly admonish the tuttee. The *tut* is designed to be heard by all around, drawing attention to the tutter.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:13 pm

One thing that could be interesting as suggested by the synopsis, the line about building a football dynasty in Burnley and beyond. We might get some info straight from the horse's mouth about Burnley's place in the wider sports group ALK seem interested in building.

Of course, forgive me Father for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last confession. I have sinned, Father, I have made an inference about possible content in a documentary based on its synopsis; I confess, Father, that I had impure thoughts about Burnley FC being a part of a wider, global sports group. I know I need to follow the scripture and 'wait and see how it pans out'. I shall promise never to make such a prediction ever again. I surrender my foresight and wits and imagination to the Lord.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:30 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:14 pm
Fkin told you all, but nah, everyone was like 'overreaction, let's wait and see'. Front loading the synopsis with ALK, Pace and religion, the comment in the second paragraph about football being a religion itself is a call-back to the reference to religion in the first paragraph, that's gonna be a recurring theme. I told everyone, most people thought I was reading too much into it. Clear as mud what form this doc is going to take. It's not a Burnley FC doc, it's a doc about ALK/Pace/Mormon missionaries. Pace is the subject of the doc, Burnley is an object within it. Not a doc about Burnley, we just happen to be there. I deduced that from the title and trailer alone because my media literacy is apparently better than most people on here, but I expect literally zero people to turn around and say, "you know what Spiral, you were actually right, soz, and yeah, it's embarrassing to see our club used as a vehicle for some low-key religious fluffing".

So here's what happens. People now recalibrate from their original hopes of what we're getting and pretend this form of doc was their expectation all along, because they're still too excited to see some juicy behind the scenes footage and don't want to concede that they were wrong in calling me crazy when I first started entertaining myself by ranting about this around the time of the original announcement, title and trailer.

I hope your right, it could convert me 😂

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:34 am

Now I want to watch it more than before. Reliving last season will be fun anyway, but I must have seen nearly every goal from every angle already, as well as seeing a good part of it live.

But the oddbod religious stuff is always fascinating. A behind the scenes look at one of our most enjoyable ever seasons and a bit of a Louis Theroux type look at the bizarre American cultists running it. What’s not to like?
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret Bosscat

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:13 pm
One thing that could be interesting as suggested by the synopsis, the line about building a football dynasty in Burnley and beyond. We might get some info straight from the horse's mouth about Burnley's place in the wider sports group ALK seem interested in building.

Of course, forgive me Father for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last confession. I have sinned, Father, I have made an inference about possible content in a documentary based on its synopsis; I confess, Father, that I had impure thoughts about Burnley FC being a part of a wider, global sports group. I know I need to follow the scripture and 'wait and see how it pans out'. I shall promise never to make such a prediction ever again. I surrender my foresight and wits and imagination to the Lord.
Someone call a medic.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:50 am

Having read a bit more it does seem there will be a lot of focus on religion, the bit that stood out for me was the titles of each episode especially episode 2 which is titled "prayforspiral"
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretDiver Targetman Colburn_Claret GodIsADeeJay81

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:14 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:33 pm
The Thor's hammer symbol has been appropriated by neo-nazis, the b@stards.
For the least couple of years, Professor Alice Roberts has been wearing one while presenting her TV documentaries, along with other Norse jewellery.

I believe that people can wear what they like, and it is the same with the religion they choose to worship. You, by your own words on here, clearly don't, yet you're the one banging on about 'nazis'. How ironic.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:03 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:50 am
Having read a bit more it does seem there will be a lot of focus on religion, the bit that stood out for me was the titles of each episode especially episode 2 which is titled "prayforspiral"
🤣

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:18 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am
Someone call a medic.

I think its got beyond that now! :lol:

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:46 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm
I think Mormonism and a few others take the proverbial biscuit tbh.

It’s genuinely bonkers - like frighteningly bonkers.

They aren’t open with their deepest beliefs from the off, you only get them when you’ve already drunk the koolaid.

The origin story is hilarious yet simultaneously very sad.

South Park episode on it (series 7, episode 12) is actually completely accurate - the south park writers also wrote the famous play ‘The Book of Mormon’.

In defence of Spiral here it is worth mentioning that Pace and family have also featured in the BBC documentary ‘The Mormons are coming’
I guess it depends how you define bonkers. They don't seem as big on killing people who disagree with them compared to some of the major religions.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:51 am

I wonder if any Mormons think some of the stuff we've been teaching our kids here in Britain for the last few hundred years is a bit bonkers.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:57 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:14 pm
Fkin told you all, but nah, everyone was like 'overreaction, let's wait and see'. Front loading the synopsis with ALK, Pace and religion, the comment in the second paragraph about football being a religion itself is a call-back to the reference to religion in the first paragraph, that's gonna be a recurring theme. I told everyone, most people thought I was reading too much into it. Clear as mud what form this doc is going to take. It's not a Burnley FC doc, it's a doc about ALK/Pace/Mormon missionaries. Pace is the subject of the doc, Burnley is an object within it. Not a doc about Burnley, we just happen to be there. I deduced that from the title and trailer alone because my media literacy is apparently better than most people on here, but I expect literally zero people to turn around and say, "you know what Spiral, you were actually right, soz, and yeah, it's embarrassing to see our club used as a vehicle for some low-key religious fluffing".

So here's what happens. People now recalibrate from their original hopes of what we're getting and pretend this form of doc was their expectation all along, because they're still too excited to see some juicy behind the scenes footage and don't want to concede that they were wrong in calling me crazy when I first started entertaining myself by ranting about this around the time of the original announcement, title and trailer.
I'm going to do something quite shocking, and reserve judgement until i've actually watched the bloody thing.
These 5 users liked this post: bfcjg LDNBFC87 louieollie IanMcL HandforthClaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:58 am

I am struggling to link Pace with the Mormons at the HQ in Salt Lake City I have to be honest

Visiting that place was up there as one of the most unsettling things I've seen

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:05 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:50 am
Episode 3 is titled ‘Spiral’s tin foil hat’.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:25 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:57 am
I'm going to do something quite shocking, and reserve judgement until i've actually watched the bloody thing.
You and your barmy ideas aren’t welcome here :D
This user liked this post: IanMcL

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:40 am

As a practicing Mormon i can say that there are many unsettling things in this world, but our religion isnt one of us. We are transparent if asked.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg Bosscat

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:58 am

I'm always uncomfortable when people's religion and religious views are ridiculed. Religions should always be questioned but if people find a spiritual or other need fulfilled by their religion and they don't harm or try to indoctrinate others then they should be let to live as they want.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret louieollie

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:06 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:40 am
As a practicing Mormon i can say that there are many unsettling things in this world, but our religion isnt one of us. We are transparent if asked.
Always?

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/21/busi ... index.html

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Don't you know God always needs a lot of money? Its a theme running through all religions. Its almost if someone just makes them up for wealth and power.. :mrgreen:

I dont care about anyones religious beliefs as long as they don't bother me or interfere in real world problems i.e. Politics, health etc. As soon as they cross that line they are fully open to scrutiny and ridicule.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:30 pm

Venkys4eva wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:19 pm
Don't you know God always needs a lot of money? Its a theme running through all religions. Its almost if someone just makes them up for wealth and power.. :mrgreen:

I dont care about anyones religious beliefs as long as they don't bother me or interfere in real world problems i.e. Politics, health etc. As soon as they cross that line they are fully open to scrutiny and ridicule.
There is increasing reference to football being a religion, particularly in this part of the world - even in that sky blurb

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 pm

its no different to the hidden wealth the catholic church have, or the church of england for example.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:17 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 pm
its no different to the hidden wealth the catholic church have, or the church of england for example.
Speaking of the CoE, they charge adults £16 to get into Canterbury cathedral
I settled for a picture of the outside and moved on

Clockwork Claret
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Clockwork Claret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
2ps worth here.

I'm not comfortable with any group being ridiculed on a message board. Challenged fine but there is a line.

There are plenty worse things in society. Gambling, drugs abuse. The list is endless.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2260 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:27 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:58 am
I'm always uncomfortable when people's religion and religious views are ridiculed. Religions should always be questioned but if people find a spiritual or other need fulfilled by their religion and they don't harm or try to indoctrinate others then they should be let to live as they want.
I agree to an extent and I live and let live until views are aired and promoted, which is what is going to happen with this documentary, it’s ultimately giving air time to Mormonism (on the back of BFC), and therefore in a free society I think it’s fair that I’m allowed to have my opinion on why I’m against said promotion.

What disturbs me so much about Mormonism is the levels of evangelism that they attempt and other questionable practices such as the baptism of the dead which they regularly do.

I mean, they literally train their youth how to effectively evangelise then send them on missions around the world when 18 to try and convert people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_missionary

It’s an incredibly dogmatic religion, with a strict ‘doctrine of obedience’ - in their faith blind repetition of scripture is really promoted and honed in on. Complete and utter brainwashing.

They aren’t quiet about their faith because they want to drop little nuggets here and there and let it fester, let it try and get to you and convert you.

I encourage people to look up more of the doctrines that they believe in and especially the origin story and their ‘prophet’ (convicted conman) Joseph Smith.

It’s a very judgmental, insular and exclusionary ‘faith’

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:29 pm

Clockwork Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 pm
2ps worth here.

I'm not comfortable with any group being ridiculed on a message board. Challenged fine but there is a line.

There are plenty worse things in society. Gambling, drugs abuse. The list is endless.
I'd say if these groups can't stand up to a little message board japery, they ain't all that steady

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:27 pm
I agree to an extent and I live and let live until views are aired and promoted, which is what is going to happen with this documentary, it’s ultimately giving air time to Mormonism (on the back of BFC), and therefore in a free society I think it’s fair that I’m allowed to have my opinion on why I’m against said promotion.

What disturbs me so much about Mormonism is the levels of evangelism that they attempt and other questionable practices such as the baptism of the dead which they regularly do.

I mean, they literally train their youth how to effectively evangelise then send them on missions around the world when 18 to try and convert people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_missionary

It’s an incredibly dogmatic religion, with a strict ‘doctrine of obedience’ - in their faith blind repetition of scripture is really promoted and honed in on. Complete and utter brainwashing.

They aren’t quiet about their faith because they want to drop little nuggets here and there and let it fester, let it try and get to you and convert you.

I encourage people to look up more of the doctrines that they believe in and especially the origin story and their ‘prophet’ (convicted conman) Joseph Smith.

It’s a very judgmental, insular and exclusionary ‘faith’

Being opposed to being judgmental it is good that you haven't judged something you haven't watched yet.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm

Aren’t all religions dogmatic?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat bfcjg

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:57 am
That's radical!

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:47 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm
Aren’t all religions dogmatic?
To an extent but it’s how they’re practiced and the doctrine and culture determines how dogmatic individuals of certain faiths tend to be.

Being trained how to evangelise and to be sent on missions as a youngster, for example is a bit different to someone that’s been baptised to get into a local CofE school or whatever.

For the record I have never been christened/baptised

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:47 pm
To an extent but it’s how they’re practiced and the doctrine and culture determines how dogmatic individuals of certain faiths tend to be.

Being trained how to evangelise and to be sent on missions as a youngster, for example is a bit different to someone that’s been baptised to get into a local CofE school or whatever.

For the record I have never been christened/baptised
I’ll save you the word salad and say yes, religions are dogmatic by their very nature.

You’re talking about fundamentalism.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:59 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 pm
I’ll save you the word salad and say yes, religions are dogmatic by their very nature.

You’re talking about fundamentalism.
I actually disagree re all are dogmatic - some give a lot more leaning to individual learning and interpretation rather than blind obedience

- Buddhism, Taoism, Baha’i, could even through Quakerism and Hunduism in there.

On fundamentalism, yes you are correct that is what I meant.

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:59 pm
I actually disagree re all are dogmatic - some give a lot more leaning to individual learning and interpretation rather than blind obedience

- Buddhism, Taoism, Baha’i, could even through Quakerism and Hunduism in there.

On fundamentalism, yes you are correct that is what I meant.
I think they are dogmatic, in the sense that there are core principles upon which the faith stands. That’s the dogma. There is obviously a wide scope as to what that may be from religion to religion, but they all share that much in common.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:38 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
This has been stirred up by one or two posters and is beyond acceptance as a talking point.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:08 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:04 pm
I think they are dogmatic, in the sense that there are core principles upon which the faith stands. That’s the dogma. There is obviously a wide scope as to what that may be from religion to religion, but they all share that much in common.
I know what you’re saying and agree to an extent but when certain faiths have practices and doctrines that deem certain sects of society as inferior or lesser then I think that’s a distinctive line in the sand.

Equating them all is a bit of a cop out, imo.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:30 pm
There is increasing reference to football being a religion, particularly in this part of the world - even in that sky blurb
The sentimentality of the mind that leads people to invent religion probably will never be extinguished from the human mind. It can be moderated and sublimated if handled carefully, and in secular environments those feelings are usually channelled into something else. That primitive sentiment finds a root in football fandom for sure. If you look at this thread, you have people wilfully missing the points I'm making and tacitly accusing me of being prejudiced against Mormons, which is not the case. To spell it out clearly, my issue (to be honest it's not so much an issue as a warning to be vigilant) is with Burnley FC being yoked into a religious film without any fan consent. People are arguing live and let live without realising that through the film there is very likely to be an gentle imposition of actual religious belief happening by proxy of Burnley FC, which while not designed explicitly to convert, I imagine will be used to present Mormonism in a different light from the one it usually stands in. The religion needs to lay respectable grounds on which to base its mission. This activity takes it beyond live and let live and into the realm of evangelism (evangelism proceeds by degrees of intensity, and this activity is a low intensity version of it, but it appears to have the hallmarks of evangelism nonetheless). This is contrary to a live and let live approach. A live and live approach, this private quietism a lot of people seem to imagine when they say it, if followed sincerely would not admit to religious exposition. The argument being made is lousy.

So why the ludicrous pushback to this all being pointed out by me? Because as I've said, the sentiment that leads people to invent and practice religion has been channelled into football. Without being consciously aware of it, people are exaggerating the insult of me pointing this out and working themselves up into a ridiculous state because retaliating to an imagined insult allows them to feel the sensation of holiness and demonstrate to themselves and their 'brothers' their piety. In this scenario I am a heretic saying heretical things. This unconscious desire to seek out heresy is part of a primitive religious sentiment that has been channelled into football. Any thing that can be perceived as at attack on the club/church and its owners/clergymen is fought hard under the misplaced belief that to assail church practices and its leaders is to assail the metaphysical and cosmological belief systems on which the club/church owes its corporeal existence. If religious sentiment leads people to invent god, and god lives through the church, it's buildings and its leaders, to assail those institutions and people is to assail god, which is to assail the sentiment itself, a sentiment people enjoy the experience of more than they hate its unreason. To deviate from church doctrine/the conduct expected of true believers (fans) laid out by scripture (football tradition) is considered a heresy, and heretics are to be cast down in order to preserve the purity of the church.

Sometimes this primitive sentiment finds form in football, sometimes it's in personality cults (including online ones), sometimes it's in political movements, but the fact remains that it never dies, even in a secular environment. This thread has been nothing short of a collective religious spasm. Bear all this in mind the next time someone appears to be grossly overreacting to any kind of fair criticism of the club.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:21 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
I fully respect your religion but it isn't mine, and my visit to SLC 25 years ago remains as unsettling now as it was then

That is my experience unfortunately

Course, it has to be said (because one of my resident trolls has joined in and I know from bitter experience that you have to put context in or they jump all over it) that has absolutely nothing to do with whether Alan Pace is good chairman of BFC and would never be used by me as a reason to think otherwise

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:27 pm

Just for the sake of not being misunderstood, let me clarify that a Mormon owning Burnley is 100% fine by me. With the notable exception of the contentious way in which the club was acquired (and of course the form of this upcoming doc which I expect to find cringeworthy), Alan Pace has otherwise been a very good chairman for us and seems like a thoroughly likeable man.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:34 pm

I’ll also add that so far Pace has gotten all the big decisions correct and seems to be doing really well for Burnley - which is great.

That doesn’t mean that things that I deem inappropriate can be glossed over because of the aforementioned positives.

I won’t go into it much further but I’m highly skeptical of any cross promotion of religion like this - it’s a sly tactic and I think Spiral is accurate in his assessment.

I’ll leave one of my favourite Philosophical concepts here from Karl Popper - ‘The Paradox of Tolerance’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
Last edited by CoolClaret on Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:34 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:08 pm
I know what you’re saying and agree to an extent but when certain faiths have practices and doctrines that deem certain sects of society as inferior or lesser then I think that’s a distinctive line in the sand.

Equating them all is a bit of a cop out, imo.
I think you’ve completely missed my point.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:34 pm
I think you’ve completely missed my point.
I haven’t , I know exactly what you’re saying. At the core of all religions is a bit of dogma that’s critical to the faith and in that essence they’re all dogmatic. I understand that viewpoint completely.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 pm
The sentimentality of the mind that leads people to invent religion probably will never be extinguished from the human mind. It can be moderated and sublimated if handled carefully, and in secular environments those feelings are usually channelled into something else. That primitive sentiment finds a root in football fandom for sure. If you look at this thread, you have people wilfully missing the points I'm making and tacitly accusing me of being prejudiced against Mormons, which is not the case. To spell it out clearly, my issue (to be honest it's not so much an issue as a warning to be vigilant) is with Burnley FC being yoked into a religious film without any fan consent. People are arguing live and let live without realising that through the film there is very likely to be an gentle imposition of actual religious belief happening by proxy of Burnley FC, which while not designed explicitly to convert, I imagine will be used to present Mormonism in a different light from the one it usually stands in. The religion needs to lay respectable grounds on which to base its mission. This activity takes it beyond live and let live and into the realm of evangelism (evangelism proceeds by degrees of intensity, and this activity is a low intensity version of it, but it appears to have the hallmarks of evangelism nonetheless). This is contrary to a live and let live approach. A live and live approach, this private quietism a lot of people seem to imagine when they say it, if followed sincerely would not admit to religious exposition. The argument being made is lousy.

So why the ludicrous pushback to this all being pointed out by me? Because as I've said, the sentiment that leads people to invent and practice religion has been channelled into football. Without being consciously aware of it, people are exaggerating the insult of me pointing this out and working themselves up into a ridiculous state because retaliating to an imagined insult allows them to feel the sensation of holiness and demonstrate to themselves and their 'brothers' their piety. In this scenario I am a heretic saying heretical things. This unconscious desire to seek out heresy is part of a primitive religious sentiment that has been channelled into football. Any thing that can be perceived as at attack on the club/church and its owners/clergymen is fought hard under the misplaced belief that to assail church practices and its leaders is to assail the metaphysical and cosmological belief systems on which the club/church owes its corporeal existence. If religious sentiment leads people to invent god, and god lives through the church, it's buildings and its leaders, to assail those institutions and people is to assail god, which is to assail the sentiment itself, a sentiment people enjoy the experience of more than they hate its unreason. To deviate from church doctrine/the conduct expected of true believers (fans) laid out by scripture (football tradition) is considered a heresy, and heretics are to be cast down in order to preserve the purity of the church.

Sometimes this primitive sentiment finds form in football, sometimes it's in personality cults (including online ones), sometimes it's in political movements, but the fact remains that it never dies, even in a secular environment. This thread has been nothing short of a collective religious spasm. Bear all this in mind the next time someone appears to be grossly overreacting to any kind of fair criticism of the club.
You are entitled to say people need to be wary of how the documentary is portrayed but isn’t it better for everyone to actually watch the documentary first to see the final outcome of it all before making comments. Wouldn’t leaving it at be vigilant be better than having back and fourths with people.

I’m sure if people watch it and don’t like the way the documentary comes across then people will come back on here and say you had a point.

End of the day we as fans are getting to see nearly 4 hours worth of behind the scenes stuff that we would never normally get to see, so until it’s be on we should just be excited about it

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm
I haven’t , I know exactly what you’re saying. At the core of all religions is a bit of dogma that’s critical to the faith and in that essence they’re all dogmatic. I understand that viewpoint completely.
Right. That’s the only point I was making. I wasn’t making any comment on the relative merits of any religion, groovy or otherwise. All the stuff about lines in the sand etc is superfluous to my original flippant observation.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the series, and, with the exception of 2001 when I put Jedi, I’ve always ticked no religion on the census form.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:54 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Well, i think you can guess my position on those too.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:54 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm
Right. That’s the only point I was making. I wasn’t making any comment on the relative merits of any religion, groovy or otherwise. All the stuff about lines in the sand etc is superfluous to my original flippant observation.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the series, and, with the exception of 2001 when I put Jedi, I’ve always ticked no religion on the census form.
May the force be with you.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:55 pm

Spiral wrote:

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:56 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm
You are entitled to say people need to be wary of how the documentary is portrayed but isn’t it better for everyone to actually watch the documentary first to see the final outcome of it all before making comments. Wouldn’t leaving it at be vigilant be better than having back and fourths with people.

I’m sure if people watch it and don’t like the way the documentary comes across then people will come back on here and say you had a point.

End of the day we as fans are getting to see nearly 4 hours worth of behind the scenes stuff that we would never normally get to see, so until it’s be on we should just be excited about it
Human beings are capable of forming judgements on events that are hypothetical but have not yet happened. The entire concept of a thought experiment rests on this idea. We do it so often, almost daily, and so trivially, that it goes unremarked. Your point (and the same point made by others) can be condensed to the idea that you want to defer judgement. You have that right, but recognise that you are asking that of me. You're attempting to plead with the 'heretic'. The way this is expressed by some on here has the mark of the phenomenon I spelled out in the post you quoted. The demand to reserve judgement is a defence of the church. Anyone NOT of this disposition, this state of mind, this religious sentiment (expressed through football) would, I highly suspect, be more relaxed about my judgement, so uninterested in putting up a defence of the church that they'd be not remotely inclined to bother attacking my point at all. It is precisely because people on here are so full of this sentimentality I describe that their rebuttals are so passionate, it is precisely because of this sentimentality that they plead with me/demand I defer judgement, because this premature judgement is believed to harm the church. At this moment, this is the most convenient ground on which to reject what I'm saying, but please do understand that it springs from the sentiment I describe. I think some people who place themselves above religion would be slightly embarrassed to find out they are still being led by a sublimated religious sentiment that exists in all people (even me).

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:56 pm

Spiral wrote:

Look at me everyone,
Look at me!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:58 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:56 pm
Look at me everyone,
Look at me!
You're doing the same thing by posting that.