Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Re: Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:13 pm

Penwortham_Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am
I’ve just finished the 4th. Probably in the minority but It was just okay. I enjoyed it because it was Burnley but I think I wanted more behind the scenes stuff like transfer negotiations or board/manager interactions. It felt like a really solid season review but not giving much insight to the behind the scenes running that I had hoped for.

On the plus side, it definitely didn’t do our image any harm, everybody came across well particularly Pace who you can’t help but warm to as he feels slightly socially awkward at times.
I think taking the claret tinted specs off and being objective about it anyone would come to the same conclusion.

It definitely gets better in the last two episodes but yeah it was basically a season review without going into too much depth.

I feel like the intro could have shown a bit more of the clubs history and a bit about the title winning sides our heritage etc to get the audience more immersed in what the club is about.

Quite surface level really and I’m a bit surprised that it showed absolutely 0 of the Cardiff game and Bashley’s send off.

Again, I enjoyed watching Vincent operate but overall I’d give
It a 5/10, just a bit ‘meh’.

As you say, it certainly won’t do our reputation any harm and it’s cool that it got made in the first place.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:16 pm

Finished it. Loved it. Think there was some great behind the scenes stuff.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:20 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:13 pm
I think taking the claret tinted specs off and being objective about it anyone would come to the same conclusion.
I’d advise those that own a pair on claret tinted spectacles to keep them firmly balanced on their noses and enjoy it to the full. We’ve just had one of our best seasons ever and this is a brilliant encapsulation of that season. Choose to enjoy it, why wouldn’t you?
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretDiver Greenmile

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:27 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:20 pm
I’d advise those that own a pair on claret tinted spectacles to keep them firmly balanced on their noses and enjoy it to the full. We’ve just had one of our best seasons ever and this is a brilliant encapsulation of that season. Choose to enjoy it, why wouldn’t you?
You can for sure and it’s great if people enjoy it! I’m just trying being objective about is a sports doc. I don’t think it’s that strong as an encapsulating storyline and I’m not so sure that anyone other than Burnley fans will rate it highly.

I mean, the doc was for the neutrals and to raise our image in the wider public right?

Feel like it could’ve been better but if you/others enjoyed it then that’s good.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:54 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:27 pm
You can for sure and it’s great if people enjoy it! I’m just trying being objective about is a sports doc. I don’t think it’s that strong as an encapsulating storyline and I’m not so sure that anyone other than Burnley fans will rate it highly.

I mean, the doc was for the neutrals and to raise our image in the wider public right?

Feel like it could’ve been better but if you/others enjoyed it then that’s good.
But the ‘storyline’ is what actually happened and unfortunately from a documentary makers’ point of view after a promising start the ‘story’ gets a bit boring. If it was a work of fiction you’d accuse the writer of giving up half way through! A promising start, the club is struggling in the league and sack their manager, a resurgence under the caretaker manager and it looks like they might be saved, but then another dip in form leading to last day relegation. Scenes of desolation, the American owners staring down the barrel of a perilous financial situation, predictions of doom and gloom from the football pundits. The makers must have thought they were onto a winner. Then Vincent Kompany turns up and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Just finished and loved it. Not been any other footy doc that captured that emotion of relegation - promotion (I don’t think?) so for me it was quite cool to see the ‘insides’ of that. Particularly budgeting and, in the end, it sounded like we spent a bit more than expected last summer.

Aside from being impressed by our COO, the deal maker, Matt Williams, I thought all the ALK members came across really well and seemed intelligent (as expected for guys with their Cv’s).

Vinny is just superb in all aspects and a true leader. His speech before Boro away was spine tingling for sure. I found it interesting he said it takes 100 meetings and 120 training sessions for his new players to ‘fully get it’.

Aside from the doc, the posters who banged on and at times, belittled others, as only their view was the correct one re. religion in this doc, well I hope they are as quick to accept they were wrong as they were to tell others they were right.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:06 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Aside from the doc, the posters who banged on and at times, belittled others, as only their view was the correct one re. religion in this doc, well I hope they are as quick to accept they were wrong as they were to tell others they were right.
Though not a central theme it was still there as a cross promotion with the Pacemeister/ALK members.

Definitely a bit less than expected, which I’ll hold my hand up to but still thought it was unnecessary - one of the early teasers I recall featured a segment that didn’t make to the Final Cut with Alan giving a talk in the Longside referencing
‘Our heavenly feather’ (or I missed that bit, either way that’s what I was concerned about).

I found Ashlyn’s little segment in episode four quite bonkers if not a little disturbing, if honest.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Re: Mission to Burnley

Post by claret wizard » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:56 am
Isn’t the first shot of them playing football in Millhead Nr Carnforth? With a rolling shot over Morecambe Bay?
It is! You complaining?

The back streets are in the credits though.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:19 pm

Goosebumps in episode 4. Also love what VK says about Ashley Barnes.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:26 pm

Also wonder if the cameras keep rolling this season… Mission to Europe…?

;)

Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:30 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:26 pm
Also wonder if the cameras keep rolling this season… Mission to Europe…?

;)
They are currently filming but are yet to get approval for a second series according to my source who told me that Tella was en route!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:09 pm

Anyone else unable to watch episode S1:E2 on Sky? I finished the first ones, can watch 3 and 4, but 2 always comes up with a screen saying press button to upgrade then a technical error.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:11 pm

What channel is it on PLEASE

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:14 pm

Really enjoyable watch overall - simply for reliving the season and also getting a taste (albeit a selective, edited version) of how Kompany speaks to the players.

It starts off as though it is going to be an Alan Pace documentary and while he remains a constant present in it, they clearly realised that Kompany is the story that they have stumbled upon.

But later it does veer closer to being an enhanced 'Season in Review' (which is fine for Burnley fans) and it isn't really a documentary.

Burnley fans will enjoy the watch - I am not sure that there is enough in it for fans of other teams though.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:18 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:14 pm
It starts off as though it is going to be an Alan Pace documentary and while he remains a constant present in it, they clearly realised that Kompany is the story that they have stumbled upon.
Haven't watched any of it yet, but thank fking Christ for that. I wonder if things might've been different if we had a mediocre season last season.

Looking forward to it.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Lol you even been on the internet before mate?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:21 pm
Lol you even been on the internet before mate?
Sorry Mr Internet. Put it this way, I’d be a bit embarrassed if I was you.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Embarrassed about what?

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:25 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:09 pm
Anyone else unable to watch episode S1:E2 on Sky? I finished the first ones, can watch 3 and 4, but 2 always comes up with a screen saying press button to upgrade then a technical error.
likely to be your Sky subscription

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:26 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:14 pm
But later it does veer closer to being an enhanced 'Season in Review' (which is fine for Burnley fans) and it isn't really a documentary.
I’m not sure there’s anything happening other than games though. Jack Cork comments on the repetitive nature of a football season and if all you’re doing is winning there’s nothing much to see. That’s why our defeats all get a look in, in breaks the repetition.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:27 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:11 pm
What channel is it on PLEASE
Sky Documentaries.
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:37 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:26 pm
I’m not sure there’s anything happening other than games though. Jack Cork comments on the repetitive nature of a football season and if all you’re doing is winning there’s nothing much to see. That’s why our defeats all get a look in, in breaks the repetition.
There's nothing else happening because they don't show us the other stuff. Loads of staff arriving at the club and many (including some of the new arrivals) quitting and leaving their jobs. But we barely see any of the non-coaching staff other than Matt Williams (who comes over well).

There is also no outside perspective. If you watch something like Drive to Survive - there is at least an attempt to tell the story or the context through the voices of journalists (albeit safe in-house F1 journos) whereas there is none of that in this. You don't have to do that route - you could have a narrator for the outside perspective. But the absence of it makes it feel much more like an in-house production, which given Pace came up with the idea and took it to the production company isn't surprising.
This user liked this post: Penwortham_Claret

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:41 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:22 pm
Embarrassed about what?
Maybe he’s talking about you being convinced this was a Mormon sports washing exercise based on about 5 seconds of video and going in about it for days?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:44 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:41 pm
Maybe he’s talking about you being convinced this was a Mormon sports washing exercise based on about 5 seconds of video and going in about it for days?
We got an unsolicited discussion about framing theory out of that argument's premise, and some chat about religious zeal manifesting in football, and all sorts of stuff. It's about the friends you make along the way.

(Someone said earlier in the thread that a prayer circle in the longside from the original trailer has been cut. Maybe they thought fk this, let's tell a football story instead. It would line up with the titel of the doc, the front-loading of Pace/ALK, then, according to others who have seen it, the focus shifting to the team)

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:55 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:44 pm
We got an unsolicited discussion about framing theory out of that argument's premise, and some chat about religious zeal manifesting in football, and all sorts of stuff. It's about the friends you make along the way.

(Someone said earlier in the thread that a prayer circle in the longside from the original trailer has been cut. Maybe they thought fk this, let's tell a football story instead. It would line up with the titel of the doc, the front-loading of Pace/ALK, then, according to others who have seen it, the focus shifting to the team)
I have seen it and funnily enough the shift switches to Kompany when he turns up. Not sure why the focus wasn’t on him when he wasn’t there, you’ll have to ask the makers.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:56 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:55 pm
I have seen it and funnily enough the shift switches to Kompany when he turns up. Not sure why the focus wasn’t on him when he wasn’t there, you’ll have to ask the makers.
That is 2 of the things that I noticed, the lack of focus on Kompany before he arrived and also the lack of focus on Dyche after he left.

Bit strange how they focused on what was happening.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:03 pm

Hmm, very strange. (*taps chin ponderingly*)

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:30 pm

It reinforced just how impressive VK is. He ran the team, the board meetings, the media and off pitch strategy whilst giving a small army of others the impression of being important. I warmed to AP - even the schoolboy giggle was close to being endearing in the end. That said, my warmth towards him came from his passion and humility rather than a stellar business acumen, accepting this wasn't the vehicle to fully showcase that (or otherwise). I imagine it is easy to under-estimate him.

As others have pointed out, it was great to see Bashley's role in the group and VK's understanding of it. The scene in the tunnel nattering at the ref typified him as much as shoving Kaminski in the net.

Overall, I enjoyed it but it would have had to have been a disaster for me not to be absorbed by 3 hours of BFC content. 4 stars The Guardian.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:32 pm

RVclaret wrote:
only their view was the correct one re. religion in this doc, well I hope they are as quick to accept they were wrong as they were to tell others they were right.
Some people who will never admit they are wrong, so they end up nitpicking to try and save face, but it ends up looking childish, desperate and rather sad.

I wonder if they have arrested development? This kind of behaviour is usually displayed in early adolescence, not so-called adults in their middle-age.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat HahaYeah

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Just watched episode one.

As a Burnley fan, the first half hour was uninteresting but it sets the scene for non Burnley viewers. After half an hour and relegation it starts to get a little more interesting - a meeting of interested parties as to what we do now, new manager appointment and then preparation and the Huddersfield game completes this episode.

It doesn't go deep enough for a reasonably informed Burnley fan but for football fans generally it should be worth a watch.

One thing I learned was that I was under the impression VK was already appointed before relegation, regardless of the outcome, but here it shows that in fact a decision on the new manager was made after going down. Pace was certainly impressed with VK and says he was in Belgium to interview him with the intention of catching a particular train home. He was so engrossed with his discussions that he departed 'four trains later'! No names were mentioned of any other potential mangers were made.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:32 pm
Some people who will never admit they are wrong, so they end up nitpicking to try and save face, but it ends up looking childish, desperate and rather sad.

I wonder if they have arrested development? This kind of behaviour is usually displayed in early adolescence, not so-called adults in their middle-age.
Don't want to accuse anyone of projection, but I can't help but feel this is you speaking from intimate experience, FactualFrank.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:48 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm
Don't want to accuse anyone of projection, but I can't help but feel this is you speaking from intimate experience, FactualFrank.
I'm FactualFrank? :lol: You're a whackjob with way too much time on your hands.
Last edited by Clovius Boofus on Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Robbie_painter Bosscat

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:49 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm
I thought I was factual frank?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:49 pm

You are.

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:50 pm

Anyone found it on iptv?

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:53 pm

I can't wait to watch this tonight. It's also great to note that most of those on here, who have watched the series, have enjoyed it.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Dodobdobodobo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:50 pm
Anyone found it on iptv?
Nope.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:36 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:37 pm
Just watched episode one.

One thing I learned was that I was under the impression VK was already appointed before relegation, regardless of the outcome, but here it shows that in fact a decision on the new manager was made after going down. Pace was certainly impressed with VK and says he was in Belgium to interview him with the intention of catching a particular train home. He was so engrossed with his discussions that he departed 'four trains later'! No names were mentioned of any other potential mangers were made.
Pace mentions two other names that were bleeped out. He mentions one was too similar to Dyche, which is quite an interesting comment in itself. I assume this is Wilder. The other I have no idea on.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:02 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:53 pm
I can't wait to watch this tonight. It's also great to note that most of those on here, who have watched the series, have enjoyed it.
I wasn't going to watch it all in one go but ................
I have watched all in one go 🙂

Spoiler alert WE WIN THE ****ING LEAGUE 😁

Vincent K is a bloody miracle worker ... what a motivator ... and also Craig B 👍 ****ing brilliant.

Loved every minute of it 👍🙂👍
This user liked this post: Clovius Boofus

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Pace mentions two other names that were bleeped out. He mentions one was too similar to Dyche, which is quite an interesting comment in itself. I assume this is Wilder. The other I have no idea on.
Could it have been Daniel Farke? I can't remember if he was properly in the running or if it was just fans suggesting his name, but he and VK were in the running for Monchengladbach, Farke ended up taking the BM job and everyone got excited because it meant Kompany to Burnley was on.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Binged this afternoon won't spoil it but Kompany's praise of Barnes in the final episode underlines how important Barnes was to us last season.
I thought it was a brilliant watch.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnley Ace

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:16 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:02 pm
I wasn't going to watch it all in one go but ................
I have watched all in one go 🙂

Spoiler alert WE WIN THE ****ING LEAGUE 😁

Vincent K is a bloody miracle worker ... what a motivator ... and also Craig B 👍 ****ing brilliant.

Loved every minute of it 👍🙂👍
Oh yeah and I don't feel an urge to join the Mormon Church 😉

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:18 pm

Why is everyone talking about the Mormon church? I've not watched it yet, but is there something to do with Mormonism in it?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:19 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:18 pm
Why is everyone talking about the Mormon church? I've not watched it yet, but is there something to do with Mormonism in it?
You’ve seen the trailer, you should know!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:19 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:19 pm
You’ve seen the trailer, you should know!
I think I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see it, thankyouverymuch.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:18 pm
This from your 1st post numbskull....

"Fkin told you all, but nah, everyone was like 'overreaction, let's wait and see'. Front loading the synopsis with ALK, Pace and religion, the comment in the second paragraph about football being a religion itself is a call-back to the reference to religion in the first paragraph, that's gonna be a recurring theme. I told everyone, most people thought I was reading too much into it. Clear as mud what form this doc is going to take. It's not a Burnley FC doc, it's a doc about ALK/Pace/Mormon missionaries. Pace is the subject of the doc, Burnley is an object within it. Not a doc about Burnley, we just happen to be there. I deduced that from the title and trailer alone because my media literacy is apparently better than most people on here, but I expect literally zero people to turn around and say, "you know what Spiral, you were actually right, soz, and yeah, it's embarrassing to see our club used as a vehicle for some low-key religious fluffing"

You know what Spiral "You were wrong" so how about you do everyone a favour and apologise yourself
Last edited by Bosscat on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm
This from your 1st post numbskull....
Why are you being so rude?

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:23 pm

Sadly not available on my Now TV sport subscription 🙁.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:24 pm

Give it a few days and it'll probably be up on pirate websites soon enough if you can't get it through Sky/Now.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm
You know what Spiral "You were wrong" so how about you do everyone a favour and apologise yourself
ive not seen it so ill reserve judgement unlike some but someone said pace talks about his religion and his religion is mormonism that means if those people who said it is in it are not telling porkies im right in saying the doc will have mormonism because it has mormonism you are just arguing over degree and scale and that is not exactly scientific neither is mormonism to be fair thankyouforcomingtomytedtalk
Last edited by Spiral on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.