Never a better opportunity to stay up this season.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Never a better opportunity to stay up this season.

Post by kenyon6923 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:18 pm

I think the bottom half of the premiership this season is looking the poorest for years for various reasons and a great chance for us to stay up.

In no particular order :

Sheff Utd are not strengthening
Luton will battle but struggle
Bournemouth - new manager who knows
Notts Forest - Struggled last season
Fulham - problems at club with manager, mitro and William all wanting out.
Wolves - manager threatening to quit already.
West Ham - Moyes might quit / get sacked yet and no Rice.
Palace - minus Zaha don't look no great shakes
Everton - Squad looks as poor as last season
Brentford - should be OK but no Toney for half of season so you never know and possibly different goalkeeper.

Looks alot of weakness in that lot for me.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Re: Never a better opportunity to stay up this season.

Post by claret wizard » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:27 pm

My bet is on a top half finish. Do I expect that, no, but I think we’ll be pushing it so expect a profitable cash out at some point. Precisely because of the previous post showing the potential weakness at the bottom half of the table.

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:43 pm

I’ll be happy with 17th. I think we’ll finish around 14th or 15th

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:46 pm

kenyon6923 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:18 pm
I think the bottom half of the premiership this season is looking the poorest for years for various reasons and a great chance for us to stay up.

In no particular order :

Brentford - should be OK but no Toney for half of season so you never know and possibly different goalkeeper.

Burnley- VK has never managed in the Prem. Lost a great deal of experience in the past 12 months. Dependent on a lot of young players integrating quickly.

There’s real weaknesses in 10/12 of the 20 clubs.

We just need to be better than 3, and we will be.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:33 am

I agree with most of that, but Bournemouth have made some really good signings this window.

I think that we have a great chance of consolidating

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:58 am

My worry is at the moment where we get a striker to bag at least 10 but that might all change in the next couple of weeks fingers crossed 🤞

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:16 am

kenyon6923 wrote:

In no particular order :

Spot on but we also have our weaknesses.
Saying that, I think we have a more talented squad and better manager, so on balance should finish above sheff Utd, Luton, Bournemouth, Forest, Wolves, West Ham and Everton.

100% one of the best years on paper to be in the prem. that is on paper though…

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:38 am

I’m very confident of a top half finish. Maybe even more, with a bit of luck with injuries and close decisions etc.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:13 am

I don't think we'll finish top half and none of the Premier league previews I've read do either. There's a great sense of optimism about the place which is great and I really do share it to an extent. Signing up and coming European potential stars is a different world to what we're used to and you can't fail to be excited about that. But when you look at the fixtures, there's really no easy games. Sheff utd was considered the toughest fixture last season and now its supposed to be one of the easiest. Home form will be the key this year and we've got to pick up 8-9 wins I reckon. 15th / 16th would be a great achievement and if we can do that, it's a great platform to build on and progress.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:32 am

make no mistake, we have it all on to stay up
These 2 users liked this post: Clive 1960 Rumpelstiltskin

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:04 am

Maybe it is a good opportunity.........but we need & have for ages a couple of good mid-fielders.
If we don't get them we'll be on the end of some serious trouncing's. IMO.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:36 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:58 am
My worry is at the moment where we get a striker to bag at least 10 but that might all change in the next couple of weeks fingers crossed 🤞
Yet to score, but I think Amdouni will bag more than 10.
It will take time to gather used to the Prem, but my gut feeling is he'll get better as the season goes on. The whole team will, just like last season.

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:02 am

kenyon6923 wrote:

In no particular order :

Agree with everything you wrote there. But if I was a fan of another club and I made this list, I might write:

Burnley - Manager and playstyle unproven and untested in PL. Lost 2 key loan players that they haven’t replaced yet. Signed 28 wingers. Boo their own striker. Lost to Mainz in season-defining pre-season friendly.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:31 am

I’m not as confident as some - we got thumped 5-2 last year in what is now one of our ‘easiest’ away games this season.
And just like with dyche(other than the first half of the Europe season)and coyle we go into a prem season with our johnsons hanging out in midfield.
This user liked this post: davideyresleftear

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:40 am

Garnerssoap wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:31 am
I’m not as confident as some - we got thumped 5-2 last year in what is now one of our ‘easiest’ away games this season.
And just like with dyche(other than the first half of the Europe season)and coyle we go into a prem season with our johnsons hanging out in midfield.
That’s a good point, but the Sheff Utd game was a turning point for our defence, so I’m not sure I’d use it as a yardstick for this season. We barely dropped points after that

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:51 am

My biggest worry is that we'll more than likely be playing catch up. Let's be honest, the last thing we needed was an opening day fixture against City, followed by a postponement against Luton. No chance to build momentum which is very important, especially for a team finding their feet back in the PL. It's going to put a lot of pressure on the us to get points on the board against Villa and Tottenham and it's not going to be easy. That said, we've had a good window thus far and have strength in depth but I feel it will take some time for VK to determine his best starting eleven.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:32 am

I suspect that we'll likely mirror Arteta's 1st season in charge of Arsenal, or maybe slightly better given that VK has had the benefit of the championship season.
I'm confident that we'll be good enough to avoid relegation. Any where among the middle 7* would be a great return to the prem.

* rounded up.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:50 am

kenyon6923 wrote:

In no particular order :

I think that’s a very optimistic outlook on them teams. The one thing you haven’t considered is they all have settled teams and are just strengthening key positions with a couple of signings.

As VK said we are effectively building a new squad (similar to how did Forrest did last year).

If I was going through:

Sheffield - I agree
Luton - I agree
Bournemouth - some decent players but an unknown manager expect them to struggle
Forrest - an excellent manager and they have managed to keep hold of their best talent.
Fulham - great manager, will be knowhere near the bottom.
Wolves - will struggle they have lost talent and not replaced
West Ham - sold some key players but don’t have to worry about europe this season and look likely to replace talent. They will be mid table
Palace - great squad, good manager. Two signings and they will get there obligatory mid table finish
Everton - great manager and few strong signings. They will be safe
Brentford - will have another decent season.

For me it’s Burnley, Sheffield, Luton, Bournemouth, Forrest and wolves fighting it out to stay up. The rest should be comfortable

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:56 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:50 am
I think that’s a very optimistic outlook on them teams. The one thing you haven’t considered is they all have settled teams and are just strengthening key positions with a couple of signings.

As VK said we are effectively building a new squad (similar to how did Forrest did last year).

If I was going through:

Sheffield - I agree
Luton - I agree
Bournemouth - some decent players but an unknown manager expect them to struggle
Forrest - an excellent manager and they have managed to keep hold of their best talent.
West Ham - sold some key players but don’t have to worry about europe this season and look likely to replace talent. They will be mid table
Palace - great squad, good manager. Two signings and they will get there obligatory mid table finish

For me it’s Burnley, Sheffield, Luton, Bournemouth, Forrest and wolves fighting it out to stay up. The rest should be comfortable
I’m not as big on Cooper being an excellent manager tbh. I thought they were very lucky to stay up last season after having spent 170m. Their play style makes every game a grind, I think they’ll be down there again.

Who are Everton’s strong signings exactly? Danjuma who couldn’t get a minute for Spurs? The young Portuguese striker who has barely featured in Portugal? Not seeing what you are seeing there. They’ve limped over the line two seasons in a row now…

Fulham look a bit suspect without Mitrovic. Not fully convinced with Marco Silva as a ‘great manager’, and from a data perspective their underlying numbers (xG and xGA) showed significant over-performance last season.

As for us and our squad building, we aren’t like Forest last season at all.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:57 am

The friendlies have clearly demonstrated we can create goal chances against better sides than those PL sides predicted to struggle this season.
Once one or two of our forwards gain the confidence that comes with getting that first goal I anticipate some good results

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:02 am

davideyresleftear wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:02 am
Agree with everything you wrote there. But if I was a fan of another club and I made this list, I might write:

Burnley - Manager and playstyle unproven and untested in PL. Lost 2 key loan players that they haven’t replaced yet. Signed 28 wingers. Boo their own striker. Lost to Mainz in season-defining pre-season friendly.
Season defining :lol: :lol:

Stop

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:03 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:56 am
I’m not as big on Cooper being an excellent manager tbh. I thought they were very lucky to stay up last season after having spent 170m. Their play style makes every game a grind, I think they’ll be down there again.

Who are Everton’s strong signings exactly? Danjuma who couldn’t get a minute for Spurs? The young Portuguese striker who has barely featured in Portugal? Not seeing what you are seeing there. They’ve limped over the line two seasons in a row now…

Fulham look a bit suspect without Mitrovic. Not fully convinced with Marco Silva as a ‘great manager’, and from a data perspective their underlying numbers (xG and xGA) showed significant over-performance last season.

As for us and our squad building, we aren’t like Forest last season at all.
Danjuma is a really good signing for them, I think most wingers would struggle to get in ahead of Son and Kulevski to be fair.
They have had a really good pre season with Dyche, their biggest issue is likely the injury to McNeil and Tarks at the start of the season. But I’m confident with Dyche in charge for the full season they will be fine. Especially now it looks like DCLs issues are behind him following surgery.

I really rate Cooper, think he’s a great manager. From where he took over to now, Forrest have been nothing but getting better and better. I think they will be fighting relegation as I’m not sure they have that much talent in the wider squad. But the big positive for them is keeping a hold of their best players.

I’m not sure I think Fulhams manager has always been underrated, he did excellent with them last season. Similar to Forrest they have kept their best player (Palhina) , they will replace Mitrovic when they let him go no doubt. I just can’t see them being close to a relegation spot I think there starting eleven is far too good.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:10 am

I work with a lot of Evertonians and they say they’ve been absolute garbage in pre season, despite the usual one goal victory results you expect from Dyche.

Luton will be solid at home, but won’t have enough.

Sheff Utd will try to bully sides and will probably be decent at home, but won’t have enough.

The rest are a much of a muchness. Hard to give a real balanced view on us until the window closes. If we fill the two obvious gaps I think we’ll be fine but fine could be 8th or it could be 17th. I suspect it’ll be nearer the bottom.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:10 am

I'll settle for being safe before the ManU game at the end of April.

My biggest fear is over-expectation among some of our more capricious fans. There were people calling for VK to be potted after the Blackpool home game.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

If I was going through:

Sheffield - I agree
Luton - I agree

Why do West Ham not have to worry about Europe this season? They are in the Europa league
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

If I was going through:

Sheffield - I agree
Luton - I agree

West Ham - lost their best player by a country mile. And they are in Europe aren’t they ? (For winning Europa conference cup )

Everton - look just as exposed as last few seasons

Fulham - manager could still go and 2 or 3 of their best players too. Defo a wait and see

Palace - lost their best player. Losing one of their best young players possibly too.

Forest - no evidence to show they are better than last season’s struggle

There seems to be a lot more sides who could realistically go down this year than recent years and we are defo one of them.
Last edited by Big Vinny K on Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:12 am

Of those teams mentioned

Bournemouth - new manager is an unknown quantity. They are bound to be in the mix

Forest - have managed to hold onto Johnson so far but there is bound to be increased interest from one or more big six clubs before the window closes and he is pivotal for them. Agree they scraped home last season as they did just enough with a scattergun approach to signings. Goalkeeper issue unresolved - they are supposedly interested in Kasper Schmichel (36)

Fulham if they get to the end of the window with the same manager and their better players they will be fine. Potential for unrest though

Wolves their survival last season was all about the appointment of Lopetegui - if they lose him - which seems likely, coupled with the owners' FFP statement last week they could be in trouble

West Ham - lost their talisman, have made no new signings. Technical director and manager at odds over recruitment and as far as I'm aware they will be playing European club football

Palace - in no danger with Hodgson in charge

Everton - a fairly desperate looking window so far - no improvement on one of the weakest squads from last term. Could well be reminiscent of our 2021/22 campaign

Brentford - depends what they do about the Toney situation and losing Raya on top of that would be a blow but they seem to have the potential to spend big if necessary and they have an excellent manager

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:13 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:03 am
Danjuma is a really good signing for them, I think most wingers would struggle to get in ahead of Son and Kulevski to be fair.
They have had a really good pre season with Dyche, their biggest issue is likely the injury to McNeil and Tarks at the start of the season. But I’m confident with Dyche in charge for the full season they will be fine. Especially now it looks like DCLs issues are behind him following surgery.

I really rate Cooper, think he’s a great manager. From where he took over to now, Forrest have been nothing but getting better and better. I think they will be fighting relegation as I’m not sure they have that much talent in the wider squad. But the big positive for them is keeping a hold of their best players.

I’m not sure I think Fulhams manager has always been underrated, he did excellent with them last season. Similar to Forrest they have kept their best player (Palhina) , they will replace Mitrovic when they let him go no doubt. I just can’t see them being close to a relegation spot I think there starting eleven is far too good.
How have Everton had a really good pre-season?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:21 am

taio wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:13 am
How have Everton had a really good pre-season?
They haven’t lost a game in pre season (they just beat sporting Lisbon yesterday in there last pre season friendly). and the players have come out with obligatory pre season interviews saying they have never felt fitter and the results show it.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:25 am

A very cautious approach from me personally and I'd snap up an offer of 17th right now.

We dramatically changed last the team last year with a whole host of incomings and it clicked..Will that happen in a far superior league, who knows?

We will also be experiencing many things we didn't last year, nowhere near as much of the ball, chasing shadows at times and every single team will have their own Benson or Anas that can win a game from nowhere. There is also the pysocological element of losing many more games than they're used too, and how they handle a different kind of pressure.

I think it's incredibly nieive, even crazy to start naming teams we're going to finish above..Nothing wrong with being optimistic of course, but let's learn to walk before running.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:29 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:21 am
They haven’t lost a game in pre season (they just beat sporting Lisbon yesterday in there last pre season friendly). and the players have come out with obligatory pre season interviews saying they have never felt fitter and the results show it.
You've just said on another thread a moment ego that pre-season friendlies aren’t really about results. In any case, have you seen who they've actually played. Re pre-season so far, their friendly results have been meaningless, they have injuries, low transfer activity and a massive financial drag because of their underlying financial problems. You predicted recently they would finish top half. If that happens it would be a great prediction, and better than the one you made last season when you said Sheff Utd would run away with the league.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 am

As our squad stands you’d have to be very naive to expect a top half finish in my opinion. Yes we were absolutely superb last season but the opposition was miles away from what we’re about to face, surely people haven’t already forgotten how difficult the Premier League is?

We will strengthen between now and the end of the window and these recruits will go a long way to determine how we fare this season. I’m confident that VK will know what it takes to survive, but talks of a top half finish seem naive bordering on arrogant.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:32 am

taio wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:29 am
You've just said on another thread a moment ego that pre-season friendlies aren’t really about results. In any case, have you seen who they've actually played. Re pre-season so far, their friendly results have been meaningless, they have injuries, low transfer activity and a massive financial drag because of their underlying financial problems. You predicted recently they would finish top half. If that happens it would be a great prediction, and better than the one you made last season when you said Sheff Utd would run away with the league.
We will see Taio, like I said on the other threads it’s about how they played. They conceded 1 goal in 6 games. Regardless of opposition that is promising for this season.

As we are well aware clean sheets are a massive indicator on premier league safety.

Everton will be fine this season. Think a lot of people are underestimating our old manager

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:32 am

Andreshotboots wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:25 am
I think it's incredibly nieive, even crazy to start naming teams we're going to finish above..
Indeed, as that's not how a fans forum should work! :roll:

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:33 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 am
As our squad stands you’d have to be very naive to expect a top half finish in my opinion. Yes we were absolutely superb last season but the opposition was miles away from what we’re about to face, surely people haven’t already forgotten how difficult the Premier League is?

We will strengthen between now and the end of the window and these recruits will go a long way to determine how we fare this season. I’m confident that VK will know what it takes to survive, but talks of a top half finish seem naive bordering on arrogant.
You're right about the challenge of the Premier league - huge step-up and right now I'd be content with 17th. At the same time I wouldn't think those who feel we could finish 10th are arrogant.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:40 am

taio wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:33 am
You're right about the challenge of the Premier league - huge step-up and right now I'd be content with 17th. At the same time I wouldn't think those who feel we could finish 10th are arrogant.
Fair enough, it’s more the dismissiveness of some of the other teams which seems arrogant.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:43 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:56 am

The same argument could be made about some of our signings. Untested.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:46 am

35 points needed...its going to be a roller-coaster ride...can't wait...roll on Friday.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:52 am

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:12 am
Of those teams mentioned

Bournemouth - new manager is an unknown quantity. They are bound to be in the mix

Forest - have managed to hold onto Johnson so far but there is bound to be increased interest from one or more big six clubs before the window closes and he is pivotal for them. Agree they scraped home last season as they did just enough with a scattergun approach to signings. Goalkeeper issue unresolved - they are supposedly interested in Kasper Schmichel (36)

Fulham if they get to the end of the window with the same manager and their better players they will be fine. Potential for unrest though

Wolves their survival last season was all about the appointment of Lopetegui - if they lose him - which seems likely, coupled with the owners' FFP statement last week they could be in trouble

West Ham - lost their talisman, have made no new signings. Technical director and manager at odds over recruitment and as far as I'm aware they will be playing European club football

Palace - in no danger with Hodgson in charge

Everton - a fairly desperate looking window so far - no improvement on one of the weakest squads from last term. Could well be reminiscent of our 2021/22 campaign

Brentford - depends what they do about the Toney situation and losing Raya on top of that would be a blow but they seem to have the potential to spend big if necessary and they have an excellent manager
Logic says that if SD could keep us up with the squad we had for five consecutive seasons he should be able to do that with Everton's team.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:52 am

I think clean sheets in games will be few and far between this season with the new rules.

I think it was only QPR that failed to score in yesterdays Championship games

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:54 am

Centre midfielder and a left back required at a minimum to give us the potential to stop up. If we sign a left back, two centre midfielders and a striker I think we could be competitive in this league.

Imagine signing only one CM such as lokonga and he gets injured or suspended. We need two CM's. Brownhill can't operate in tight spaces well enough for this system and Gudmundsson or twine are not midfielders. Cullen currently out with a knock. It's mad but it could be Cork and Brownhill starting Friday night 😳

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:56 am

To many people underestimating the challenge of the premier league, integrating what looks like at least 8 players , adapting our style of play , not beyond the wit of man that we dont have any points on the board by mid sept…. Some positives I’ve seen in amdouni and koelsho, but it is all about goals in the prem, struggle to score and your outcome is pretty much determined.

We all know we need more solidity in midfield and that needs to be addressed , you can also see that maatsen is a big miss on the attacking front…

Still a lot to be positive about, but they need to gel quick , and play with a bit more zip.

It’ll be a hell of a ride one way or another

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:59 am

Conroy92 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:54 am
Centre midfielder and a left back required at a minimum to give us the potential to stop up. If we sign a left back, two centre midfielders and a striker I think we could be competitive in this league.

Imagine signing only one CM such as lokonga and he gets injured or suspended. We need two CM's. Brownhill can't operate in tight spaces well enough for this system and Gudmundsson or twine are not midfielders. Cullen currently out with a knock. It's mad but it could be Cork and Brownhill starting Friday night 😳
Cork and brownhill on Friday night has more chance of containing city than brownhill and JBG

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:01 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:59 am
Cork and brownhill on Friday night has more chance of containing city than brownhill and JBG
I’d start with all 3. Cork in the 6, Brownhill and JBG ahead of him.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:03 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:01 am
If Cullen isn't fit (ouch) then I'd choose this too. Although that can't be our midfield for much more than a couple of games.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:07 am

I hope we sign Lokonga.- we need a centre mid - but I can't help think some people are expecting too much of him and conversely too little of Brownhill, Cork and JBG.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:01 am
That could honestly be the worst midfield in the league.

They have there individual strengths but as a three that is unbelievably weak.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:13 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 am

I agree. Gudmundsson wouldn't be in my eleven anywhere on the pitch. But as it is, there's not much else.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:14 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 am

I don’t really agree it’s ‘unbelievably weak’ at all. In fact I see a really nice balance of experience, ability on the ball and work rate.
taio wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:07 am
I hope we sign Lokonga.- we need a centre mid - but I can't help think some people are expecting too much of him and conversely too little of Brownhill, Cork and JBG.
Agree on both counts. Although I think a Cullen / Lokonga duo has big potential.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:14 am

10th.