New food/drink rules at the Turf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Re: New food/drink rules at the Turf

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:49 pm
So….

A few months on, where are we on this? The club have made significant announcements, promised change etc… so what are your thoughts…

We played Everton on Saturday 16th December, and my observations from the Longside Upper at 5:10pm (20 minutes BEFORE) kick off….

Very courteous and professional staff ✅

Quick and easy contactless payment system (buy still long processing times) ✅

Very low stocked racks (hardly any crisps, sweets, chocolates etc) ❌

No milk (at all) at two out of three booths that I visited. People complaining about it not being acceptable. Cups only about 70% filled ❌

Self service booths an absolute mess with spills, sugar and milk sachets in big piles. No bin liners or way of disposing unless you carry along the concourse to a bin away from the booths ❌

Queues very reasonable, BUT I sense this is due to people just not bothering any more ❌

Genuinely feel the club have said they’ve listened, but that’s no more than an acknowledgment. I see minimal change.
I think that’s a very fair assessment John. I’m still trying to get over that they make you pour your own water in to bene’s. :lol:

The self-service areas are a right mess. I’d add that the bar areas look worse than ever too, almost like they’re running them down.

I suspect you’re right though that people are just no longer going or buying.

Is there a FAB meeting soon? Would love to know the clubs view.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:32 am

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 pm
I think that’s a very fair assessment John. I’m still trying to get over that they make you pour your own water in to bene’s. :lol:

The self-service areas are a right mess. I’d add that the bar areas look worse than ever too, almost like they’re running them down.

I suspect you’re right though that people are just no longer going or buying.

Is there a FAB meeting soon? Would love to know the clubs view.
Tbf pouring your own Bene is better than getting one full to the brim with water like in the Bob Lord! I probably just won't bother in future.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:55 am

I think you're spot on John with that assessment.

Was saying on our podcast WhatsApp group that when the new operators (Levy) were announced they promised that "The Levy culinary team are busy working with existing local suppliers, businesses, and their produce to develop menu items to delight supporters upon their return to Turf Moor."

As far as I can see we've switched from Hollands Pies to Clayton Park pie (a welcome move I must add) and that's about it. Well, apart from all the prices going up and none of the offers (which have been around for years) are available.

Not exactly the 'revolutionary matchday experience' we were promised at the big announcement.

(Although I presume the new Jimmy Mac Super Box and sports bar concept is where all the efforts have gone).

ac99
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by ac99 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:09 am

If all their efforts are going into the Super Box then they are failing miserably. Had the displeasure of experiencing it on Saturday and it was a massive let down despite the ticket price of £600 (no, I didn't pay for it and I don't think that can be the actual price of a ticket in there).

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 am

ac99 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:09 am
If all their efforts are going into the Super Box then they are failing miserably. Had the displeasure of experiencing it on Saturday and it was a massive let down despite the ticket price of £600 (no, I didn't pay for it and I don't think that can be the actual price of a ticket in there).
It’s variable ticket pricing so the later you leave it the more you can expect to pay. Hospitality isn’t for me so I won’t be experiencing it but I’ve been told it’s not particularly good food wise. The chairman’s daughter took time out from trying to free Nathan Tella to try and promote it and was waxing lyrical about a hot dog. Is that what they offer?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:20 am

ac99 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:09 am
£600 for one ticket ?

ac99

Post by ac99 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:09 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:20 am
£600 for one ticket ?
That was the price on the ticket but I wouldn't have paid £50 for it including the food. It was all appalling

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:47 am

ac99 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:09 am
That was the price on the ticket but I wouldn't have paid £50 for it including the food. It was all appalling
I would pay that, even if the food was 5 star :lol:

ac99

Post by ac99 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:54 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:47 am
I would pay that, even if the food was 5 star :lol:
That should have been including the seat :lol:

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:58 am

The Jimmy Mac offering got a very good review from The Padded Seat vlog. I do think it looks excellent inside and a good concept. Needs a pool table in my opinion, although I assume some health and safety bod has said no to that :?

I won’t be trying it, mind.

What it does show though, is how a relatively old and tired space can be completely transformed with a new fit out. I wouldn’t mind paying a bit extra for beer/food if they’d invested something similar on our concourses and bar areas, but since they haven’t and are charging more for the same it’s hard to justify.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:32 am
Tbf pouring your own Bene is better than getting one full to the brim with water like in the Bob Lord! I probably just won't bother in future.
Well I have to be honest, I’ve never experienced a misspoured Bene & hot on the longside so maybe my views would change if I was getting weak ones!! But it generally just takes ages to pour from a jug & they have one jug to cater for four tills all getting served them at the same time. It’s utter madness. They only seem to operate that system in one bar though, no idea why.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:03 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:58 am
The Jimmy Mac offering got a very good review from The Padded Seat vlog. I do think it looks excellent inside and a good concept. Needs a pool table in my opinion, although I assume some health and safety bod has said no to that :?

I won’t be trying it, mind.

What it does show though, is how a relatively old and tired space can be completely transformed with a new fit out. I wouldn’t mind paying a bit extra for beer/food if they’d invested something similar on our concourses and bar areas, but since they haven’t and are charging more for the same it’s hard to justify.
I've said it elsewhere....the quality ( or non quality) of the concourse fare has no impact on whether somebody attends a game or not, which is why the club won't spend a lot of money in that area, other clubs are the same, I certainly wouldn't be relying on any ground catering for my match day food and drink
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

KellyClaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by KellyClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:08 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:58 am
The Jimmy Mac offering got a very good review from The Padded Seat vlog.
You do realise that's a paid ad dressed up as vlog, don't you?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:13 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:03 am
I've said it elsewhere....the quality ( or non quality) of the concourse fare has no impact on whether somebody attends a game or not, which is why the club won't spend a lot of money in that area, other clubs are the same, I certainly wouldn't be relying on any ground catering for my match day food and drink
I did hope, when they talked about improving Matchday experience on initial arrival, that some renovation and investment in the stands/facilities would be included.

Then when they introduced Levy I hoped it was getting a bit of investment. Alas, no.

I do think if they made them really nice and played the 5:30 game on the screens, people would stay behind and have a couple of drinks, etc before heading home. Particularly if the mood was jubilant (that’d be nice, eh).

I agree it must be difficult to make a business case for such an investment but when you think what players cost, I’d rather have a couple of fringe players less and modernised concourses/facilities. You could probably do one up with a couple of months of a PL players salary. I’ll live in hope.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:17 am

KellyClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:08 am
You do realise that's a paid ad dressed up as vlog, don't you?
Well yes but they do them for every club. Of the ones I’ve seen (and the whole subject isn’t really something that interests me, so I don’t watch them all) the interior fit out, games, informal seating and street food make it a pretty distinct and different offering. I think it’s good, and the club should be credited for doing something like this, although the food won’t be to everyone’s tastes, quite clearly.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:13 am
I did hope, when they talked about improving Matchday experience on initial arrival, that some renovation and investment in the stands/facilities would be included.

Then when they introduced Levy I hoped it was getting a bit of investment. Alas, no.

I do think if they made them really nice and played the 5:30 game on the screens, people would stay behind and have a couple of drinks, etc before heading home. Particularly if the mood was jubilant (that’d be nice, eh).

I agree it must be difficult to make a business case for such an investment but when you think what players cost, I’d rather have a couple of fringe players less and modernised concourses/facilities. You could probably do one up with a couple of months of a PL players salary. I’ll live in hope.
I noticed one game this season they were saying that the fanzine was open after the game... I wonder how many went?

Iam sure they could improve the concourse facilities at little cost in the scheme of things, but the benefit to the business would be negligible, so unfortunately they won't do it. For me they could close them all down and it would have no impact on my match day experience, they don't sell anything I Carnt get elsewhere, and I can do without a pint for 2hrs.

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 am
It’s variable ticket pricing so the later you leave it the more you can expect to pay. Hospitality isn’t for me so I won’t be experiencing it but I’ve been told it’s not particularly good food wise. The chairman’s daughter took time out from trying to free Nathan Tella to try and promote it and was waxing lyrical about a hot dog. Is that what they offer?
This is my 2nd season in the JM Hospitality and it's not a patch on last season in some respects. The food used to be a one course meal pre match - though you could go back as many times as you like - and all seasonal guests had a reserved table with waiter/waitress service for the half time te/coffee & cakes.

Now there are 3 'street food' stations plus a dessert station and at half time it's a self service snack - usually sweet but there have also been pies, sausage rolls & samosas. One of the stations is called 'different dog' and offers various incarnations of hot dogs - this is 1 area I steer well clear of. To be fair, last Saturday's food was probably the best it's been all season, with turkey Yorkshire pudding wraps, pasta & meatballs, chocolate mousse & a half time warm mince pie with cream.

The biggest grumbles from seasonal guests are the lack of seating - you have to get there really early to secure anything remotely comfortable - and the extremely high noise level which makes conversation very difficult and drowns out both the entertainment & the host's announcements.
I was talking to a bloke on Saturday who'd paid £306 for his ticket & that is outrageous, never mind £600! The seats in the stand are comfy & the view is great, except for opposition goals regularly hitting the back of our net...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:45 am

sjb wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am
One of the stations is called 'different dog' and offers various incarnations of hot dogs - this is 1 area I steer well clear of.
Hell of a price to pay if you enjoy a hot dog

ac99

Post by ac99 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 am
In the Super Box, we got a sharing platter that would have cost less than a tenner to put together. Super Box users can also use the facilities of the main lounge which include the food stations. The Yorkshire Pudding wrap was nice but needed gravy but we didn't get chance to try the rest of the food including the "different dogs". The main lounge was incredibly noisy which made conversation difficult and the 2 Fussball tables and 2 shuffleboard tables weren't really our "bag".

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:21 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am
I noticed one game this season they were saying that the fanzine was open after the game... I wonder how many went?

Iam sure they could improve the concourse facilities at little cost in the scheme of things, but the benefit to the business would be negligible, so unfortunately they won't do it. For me they could close them all down and it would have no impact on my match day experience, they don't sell anything I Carnt get elsewhere, and I can do without a pint for 2hrs.
I’m not sure, but I think if you’re going to open the fanzone you need an extra special reason to make it across - an ex player doing a Q&A or similar from current players, management, chairman, etc. Being realistic, not many are going to walk around from the BL or Jimmy Mac after the game in to the fanzone when there are closer pubs, otherwise.

I read somewhere that Spurs have bands on the concourses post-match and basically try & keep people in? Not sure if that’s true but I’d be looking at maximising the duration of fans stay at the Turf given they only get them there 20 or so times a year, so I’d have food and bar outlets open after the match and ideally a bit of a reason to stay. Catch them before they walk off and get outside when their journey home has already started. Some will just hang around to beat the traffic and make ore of a day of it.

Re investment, I think you’re probably right but I can’t imagine each outlet would cost more than £10k to do up - some tiling, back lit sign, new counter tops, menus up, etc. No ROI whatsoever but in my opinion there’s an element of just maintaining and showing pride in your home which, when you consider that amount is probably a quarter of some players weekly salaries, should be considered.

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:30 pm

ac99 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:57 am
In the Super Box, we got a sharing platter that would have cost less than a tenner to put together. Super Box users can also use the facilities of the main lounge which include the food stations. The Yorkshire Pudding wrap was nice but needed gravy but we didn't get chance to try the rest of the food including the "different dogs". The main lounge was incredibly noisy which made conversation difficult and the 2 Fussball tables and 2 shuffleboard tables weren't really our "bag".
I was in the Super Box for the West Ham game - the best thing was having a reserved seat at a table with friends.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:54 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:21 pm
I’m not sure, but I think if you’re going to open the fanzone you need an extra special reason to make it across - an ex player doing a Q&A or similar from current players, management, chairman, etc. Being realistic, not many are going to walk around from the BL or Jimmy Mac after the game in to the fanzone when there are closer pubs, otherwise.

I read somewhere that Spurs have bands on the concourses post-match and basically try & keep people in? Not sure if that’s true but I’d be looking at maximising the duration of fans stay at the Turf given they only get them there 20 or so times a year, so I’d have food and bar outlets open after the match and ideally a bit of a reason to stay. Catch them before they walk off and get outside when their journey home has already started. Some will just hang around to beat the traffic and make ore of a day of it.

Re investment, I think you’re probably right but I can’t imagine each outlet would cost more than £10k to do up - some tiling, back lit sign, new counter tops, menus up, etc. No ROI whatsoever but in my opinion there’s an element of just maintaining and showing pride in your home which, when you consider that amount is probably a quarter of some players weekly salaries, should be considered.
I'm pretty sure they've been advertising some kind of live music on in the fan zone after games recently. I can't imagine take up has been that great, most home games this season there's barely been anyone left by full time!

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:33 pm

I'll stick to a pint in the Kettledrum and a pie from the local shop thanks!
This user liked this post: forzagranata

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5540 times

Post by k90bfc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:04 pm

Chris Gibson,went to pastures new,his leaving is now showing how much he is being missed big time,one of the best,he knew exactly what Burnley fans are,what they want,big loss to us all.UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Claret Till I Die

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3191 times
Has Liked: 1872 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:21 pm

The price the the JM hospitality is ridiculous, especially if there’s a group of you.

We looked into doing it as a birthday treat but as existing STH it’s not worth it.

If they did just the hospitality without the seat ticket at a reasonable price we may have considered it

ClaretOfMancunia
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by ClaretOfMancunia » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:33 pm

k90bfc wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:04 pm
Chris Gibson,went to pastures new,his leaving is now showing how much he is being missed big time,one of the best,he knew exactly what Burnley fans are,what they want,big loss to us all.UTC.
Concourse offering was no better in previous seasons from what I can see. Rock hard pies, massive queues...

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:37 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:03 am
I think the mistake you regularly make on this is assuming everybody’s expectations of a match day experience are in line with your own…. It’s a broad church, and the amount of complaints about this suggests it’s impinging on plenty of people’s match day habits and experiences….. play with those at your peril.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:41 pm

sjb wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am
This is my 2nd season in the JM Hospitality and it's not a patch on last season in some respects. The food used to be a one course meal pre match - though you could go back as many times as you like - and all seasonal guests had a reserved table with waiter/waitress service for the half time te/coffee & cakes.

Now there are 3 'street food' stations plus a dessert station and at half time it's a self service snack - usually sweet but there have also been pies, sausage rolls & samosas. One of the stations is called 'different dog' and offers various incarnations of hot dogs - this is 1 area I steer well clear of. To be fair, last Saturday's food was probably the best it's been all season, with turkey Yorkshire pudding wraps, pasta & meatballs, chocolate mousse & a half time warm mince pie with cream.

The biggest grumbles from seasonal guests are the lack of seating - you have to get there really early to secure anything remotely comfortable - and the extremely high noise level which makes conversation very difficult and drowns out both the entertainment & the host's announcements.
I was talking to a bloke on Saturday who'd paid £306 for his ticket & that is outrageous, never mind £600! The seats in the stand are comfy & the view is great, except for opposition goals regularly hitting the back of our net...
This setup is very much in line with US sports hospitality setups, with multi station food, drink and sweet options. Although there’s often a wider range than described above. The last one I went to was Ny rangers at madison square garden, and there were about 10 different types of food from sushi to chicken fillets and chips and plenty in between.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:41 pm

It might be important to some but the quality of food and drink on offer is not likely to persuade someone to go and watch a game or not.
I go to games on a regular basis, stand in the CFS but would rather support the corner sandwich and pie shop opposite the PV chippy.
Decent food, plenty of options and quite cheap too.
The chippy always has a pretty fair queue pre match so they must be doing well.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:53 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:37 pm
I think the mistake you regularly make on this is assuming everybody’s expectations of a match day experience are in line with your own…. It’s a broad church, and the amount of complaints about this suggests it’s impinging on plenty of people’s match day habits and experiences….. play with those at your peril.
Complaints yes, but it doesn't stop people going to the game, and if they shut them all down it wouldn't stop people going to the games

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:21 pm
Agree 100% apart from the bit where you say “no ROI whatsoever”.

There are two ways to run this type of business, the sensible way and the really clever way.

The sensible way is exactly as you suggest - don’t spend in areas where there isn’t a viable direct revenue return. That way every “product” the club sells makes money, from football to food to shirts to social media content (and each variant of each).

The really clever way is to recognise there are intangible effects of the way investment leads to revenue. Investing in the “ordinary fan” infrastructure can lead to substantial loyalty and enthusiasm. That can knock onto renewing one’s season ticket when in the Football League, it could knock onto a better vibe in the ground which drives the team onto better performance (and every place is worth £1m+). I could use a dozen other examples (some probably better). A “loss leader” strategy is vital as part of boosting us to our new level and making us feel we belong at that level. If we have the mentality that we are just bovril and pies, that inferiority complex will ripply through the whole club.

So, in short, there can still be a ROI even if the accountants (of moderate but narrow and limited talent) try to suggest there is not.

I still live in hope they will grasp this.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:31 pm

k90bfc wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:04 pm
With no disrespect it was poor with Gibson running it. They brought someone in during the summer who had years of experience in this field and is a fervent Claret. Sadly she was pushed out by some bloke from Levy who I’m told didn’t have a clue. But let’s not pretend it was ever good previously.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:36 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:53 pm
Complaints yes, but it doesn't stop people going to the game, and if they shut them all down it wouldn't stop people going to the games
That’s the point he was making to you - it does to some.

I’ve been attending now for almost 40 years. It’s 4 hours driving each game, at an age now where driving gets more tiring, and at a time when my own family have choices on what to do.

Those little things make a big difference. I can guarantee that the time I choose to jack it all in will be influenced by the extent of quality food and drink. Put it this way, I ain’t driving all that way for the chippy on the corner or pie in the concourse. If it feels like a lovely day out in semi-retirement, with the football as the cherry on top, I may keep doing it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:48 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:36 pm

I’ve been attending now for almost 40 years. It’s 4 hours driving each game, at an age now where driving gets more tiring, and at a time when my own family have choices on what to do.

Those little things make a big difference. I can guarantee that the time I choose to jack it all in will be influenced by the extent of quality food and drink. Put it this way, I ain’t driving all that way for the chippy on the corner or pie in the concourse. If it feels like a lovely day out in semi-retirement, with the football as the cherry on top, I may keep doing it.
You are so right Crosspool. I never buy any food or drink in the ground but there again I’m a couple of miles away and am home for around 5:30. I would personally have more issues now if there were no toilets.

But we all have different requirements and we all choose different options which must be respected. It’s absolutely clear that the catering at Turf Moor continues to be sub standard.

I’ve once this season made a concourse purchase and that was at Arsenal because I was gagging for a drink (non-alcoholic). It was frighteningly expensive but the service was excellent which it clearly isn’t at Burnley.

The one positive I’ve found now in the Longside Upper is that there are so few queuing that I have easier access to the loo.
These 3 users liked this post: CrosspoolClarets NewClaret longsidepies

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:55 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 pm
Agree 100% apart from the bit where you say “no ROI whatsoever”.

There are two ways to run this type of business, the sensible way and the really clever way.

The sensible way is exactly as you suggest - don’t spend in areas where there isn’t a viable direct revenue return. That way every “product” the club sells makes money, from football to food to shirts to social media content (and each variant of each).

The really clever way is to recognise there are intangible effects of the way investment leads to revenue. Investing in the “ordinary fan” infrastructure can lead to substantial loyalty and enthusiasm. That can knock onto renewing one’s season ticket when in the Football League, it could knock onto a better vibe in the ground which drives the team onto better performance (and every place is worth £1m+). I could use a dozen other examples (some probably better). A “loss leader” strategy is vital as part of boosting us to our new level and making us feel we belong at that level. If we have the mentality that we are just bovril and pies, that inferiority complex will ripply through the whole club.

So, in short, there can still be a ROI even if the accountants (of moderate but narrow and limited talent) try to suggest there is not.

I still live in hope they will grasp this.
I agree with you.

Maybe I should’ve said no direct ROI, but I agree with the concept that investing in

If you think about it, what they’ve done is invest in some really cool corporate spaces. Whoever they got in to design and upgrade them has done a brilliant job (I’d have gone a bit further with the games in the Jimmy Mac - pool, table tennis, etc). But then invested nothing that will benefit the huge majority of fans that could probably be done at a fraction of the price. Instead they’ve been left to go to ruin.

Like you say, the buy-in they’d get from doing them up would be huge and likely pay off in indirect ways. They don’t even have to do it in one go. I’d start where the majority of fans are - longside upper, then lower, then over to the Jimmy Mac in the same order. Could be done seasons apart if necessary but the cost compared to some of salaries we’re paying is minimal.

I just hope the whole catering offering gets reviewed again very soon. As others have said, Levy’s offering is making Chris Gibson look very, very good.

But on this whole point, I think there’s so much infrastructure the club could invest in for the good of the club and town. I thought they should’ve bought the Park View when that was up for £250k or whatever. Thats been done up well but I think with the clubs resources could’ve been done a lot better. There’s other local properties they could do things with too.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:03 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:48 pm
You are so right Crosspool. I never buy any food or drink in the ground but there again I’m a couple of miles away and am home for around 5:30. I would personally have more issues now if there were no toilets.

But we all have different requirements and we all choose different options which must be respected. It’s absolutely clear that the catering at Turf Moor continues to be sub standard.

I’ve once this season made a concourse purchase and that was at Arsenal because I was gagging for a drink (non-alcoholic). It was frighteningly expensive but the service was excellent which it clearly isn’t at Burnley.

The one positive I’ve found now in the Longside Upper is that there are so few queuing that I have easier access to the loo.
Re: Arsenal, the service was excellent because you were the only one paying the prices Tony :lol:

Although they did quite literally have double the staff too.

Completely agree about the queues. They must be doing like a fifth of last years sales looking at the queues. I just can’t see how it can go on with such obvious declines in interest/sales.

Credit where it’s due though, I do think our toilet facilities are very decent compared to other grounds. No complaints from me there.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:55 pm
I agree with you.

Maybe I should’ve said no direct ROI, but I agree with the concept that investing in

If you think about it, what they’ve done is invest in some really cool corporate spaces. Whoever they got in to design and upgrade them has done a brilliant job (I’d have gone a bit further with the games in the Jimmy Mac - pool, table tennis, etc). But then invested nothing that will benefit the huge majority of fans that could probably be done at a fraction of the price. Instead they’ve been left to go to ruin.

Like you say, the buy-in they’d get from doing them up would be huge and likely pay off in indirect ways. They don’t even have to do it in one go. I’d start where the majority of fans are - longside upper, then lower, then over to the Jimmy Mac in the same order. Could be done seasons apart if necessary but the cost compared to some of salaries we’re paying is minimal.

I just hope the whole catering offering gets reviewed again very soon. As others have said, Levy’s offering is making Chris Gibson look very, very good.

But on this whole point, I think there’s so much infrastructure the club could invest in for the good of the club and town. I thought they should’ve bought the Park View when that was up for £250k or whatever. Thats been done up well but I think with the clubs resources could’ve been done a lot better. There’s other local properties they could do things with too.
Apparently the club were quoted a much higher fee for The Park View

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:38 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:36 pm

You've confused me, not difficult I appreciate

I said it would make no difference to the number of people attending games, if the concourse stalls all shut

You say the food and drink will have an impact on when you jack it in, but then say you're not travelling all that way for the chippy on the corner, or a pie on the concourse. So what difference would it make if the pie on the concourse wasn't available?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:32 am

chipbutty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 am
Apparently the club were quoted a much higher fee for The Park View
Yes, I think that someone mentioned that on here before (but I’d forgotten, thanks for reminding me).

Either way, at £500k I’d have said it’d have been a solid purchase and could’ve been hugely extended. Although I think it’s been done up pretty by the current owners, I think the club could’ve turned it in to something more special and made a turn on it, even at double the price.

Like I say, there’s so many run down buildings in the area up for sale relatively cheaply. If I were the club I’d be looking to bring them back in to use both for the good of the club and the area.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:22 am

And what would BFC do with it the other 345 day's of the year?

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:13 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:41 pm
This setup is very much in line with US sports hospitality setups, with multi station food, drink and sweet options. Although there’s often a wider range than described above. The last one I went to was Ny rangers at madison square garden, and there were about 10 different types of food from sushi to chicken fillets and chips and plenty in between.
In my experience, the American stadium hospitality tends to be much better on the food front than in the UK - at least in terms of wider choice - but is much less of a booze up.

I guess it comes down to priorities and personal taste. I had a great night at someone else's expense at Inter Miami's MLS game (in the pre-Messi days) but the most enjoyable experience I've had as a fan at a sports event with hospitality was at Accrington Stanley - before they did up the clubhouse into 'Coley's'.

A full roast for the meal with a pudding for desert and waitress providing a steady supply of free pints from the bar. No one was complaining about the lack of a hot dog.

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:31 pm

Whilst the quality of catering might not affect the decision-making of 'lifelong fans', the matchday experience will almost certainly influence the fairweather fans. That might account for 10-20% of supporters.

Refreshing the dated, tatty catering outlets, improving quality and choice would influence, in some way, decisions to renew season or matchday tickets especially when results were average.

It's been mentioned above, that one shouldn't assume that every supporter's mindset, preferences and commitment match your own.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:57 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:31 pm
Whilst the quality of catering might not affect the decision-making of 'lifelong fans', the matchday experience will almost certainly influence the fairweather fans. That might account for 10-20% of supporters.

Refreshing the dated, tatty catering outlets, improving quality and choice would influence, in some way, decisions to renew season or matchday tickets especially when results were average.

It's been mentioned above, that one shouldn't assume that every supporter's mindset, preferences and commitment match your own.
If someone doesn't renew because of catering, then good, let one of those on the waiting list have it

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:32 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:57 pm
If someone doesn't renew because of catering, then good, let one of those on the waiting list have it
I know a few that prefer their half time pint to the football. It's a social day out for them. Catching up with friends who sit in their stand but not next to each other.

They even sit in the lower longside for the bigger concourse, rather than better views.

It also means they are there in the bad times.

Leon_C

Post by Leon_C » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:56 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
The point is that the matchday experience, more broadly, can shape whether somebody subconciously enjoys the experience enough to commit to a season ticket, year-on-year.

Anybody is entitled to hold their own judgement of what makes 'a proper fan', so you're quite welcome to be dismissive of this notion.

Anybody involved in the commercial endeavour of running a club and nurturing customer loyalty would get it. We even employ a 'Director of Fan Experience' because this is deemed to be important. However, I don't think he's ever been in the Jimmy Mc upper concourse on a matchday.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:02 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:56 pm
The point is that the matchday experience, more broadly, can shape whether somebody subconciously enjoys the experience enough to commit to a season ticket, year-on-year.

Anybody is entitled to hold their own judgement of what makes 'a proper fan', so you're quite welcome to be dismissive of this notion.

Anybody involved in the commercial endeavour of running a club and nurturing customer loyalty would get it. We even employ a 'Director of Fan Experience' because this is deemed to be important. However, I don't think he's ever been in the Jimmy Mc upper concourse on a matchday.
Surely.... Based on the concourse fare for years, nobody has enhanced their match day experience by buying overpriced beer, crap pies, overpriced chocolate bars etc etc.. And if the lack of that standard of food and drink makes you give up your season ticket, well I've no words

Leon_C

Post by Leon_C » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:11 pm

Let's say that our owners declared "We will no longer sell alcohol on the concourses, or in the fanzone."
Do you think attendances would be unaffected, because 20,000 Burnley fans place no value, whatsoever, in the availability of such - and are solely interested in the match?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:17 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:11 pm
Let's say that our owners declared "We will no longer sell alcohol on the concourses, or in the fanzone."
Do you think attendances would be unaffected, because 20,000 Burnley fans place no value, whatsoever, in the availability of such - and are solely interested in the match?
I've never mentioned the fanzone

Some would complain, but if it actually stopped you going to game because there was no crap beer avaible for 2 hours, then to be honest they'd be better off in the pub.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:23 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
The club should be doing whatever it can to retain existing fans and attract new ones. Having a basic level of matchday catering should be a given and there’s really no excuse not to, whether it affects your experience or not.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:19 pm

White coffee was available in the BL on Friday night, sachets of milk also available still.

I also received a nice little cardboard tray with my pie, and was advised to be careful as the pie was hot. I have been managing to make my own decision on food temperature for most of my life but the gesture was nice and actually the pie was at a normal temperature and not the normal nuclear heat.