Advice re Shetland Isles

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Advice re Shetland Isles

Post by steve1264b » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:27 pm

HI

Hired a motor home 7.4m long.

Going to the Shetland Isles for a week and then back along loch ness, fort william, loch lomondand then down the ayrshire coast.

This forum never fails so have it clarets, advice and tips about the shetland isles would be appreciated.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Re: Advice re Shetland Isles

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:34 pm

Do you like sheep ?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18289 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:37 pm

When you are in Lerwick ask about Tommy the Cat ... he has a million(ish) followers on "Facebook"

https://myshetland.co.uk/tommy-the-cat/

We met him when there last September while we on a cruise and visiting Lerwick

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2476 times
Has Liked: 2014 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:46 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:37 pm
When you are in Lerwick ask about Tommy the Cat ... he has a million(ish) followers on "Facebook"

https://myshetland.co.uk/tommy-the-cat/

We met him when there last September while we on a cruise and visiting Lerwick
Bosscat and Tommy the cat. There’s paws for thought.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:47 pm

Found much of the Shetlands a bit barren tbh...

Much preferred the Orkneys, the Hebrides and the West Highlands. Mull and Iona are beautiful and there's no shortage of sites..and some awesome remote approved wild camping areas.

Shut your eyes if you go via Glasgow through Greenock.. It's dreadful.. But Rothesay, the Kyle's of Bute and the top end of Arran are genuinely accessible, scenic and peaceful. Most of the Ayrshire coast is OK I guess, but a bit meh in terms of being a holiday destination.

BUT there's a real sense of space and remoteness in the Shetlands that can be a joy BTW so don't let my first sentence put you off.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Not been up to the Shetlands, but we have been up the West Coast to Loch Ness in a motorhome.

Download the latest maps suitable for motorhomes and have suitable protection against midgeys, anywhere near fresh water.

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Just got back from a trip up and down Scotland in a 7.5 metre rented campervan. We didn't go to the Shetlands but did go to the Isle of Skye which was absolutely incredible. Off the main roads we were on quite a few long stretches of single track roads with passing places all along the route. Being pretty much peak season, it was very busy but we did okay, took our time and did our best to accommodate oncoming traffic and those behind wanting to get past, the best we could. I found driving in the early evenings and relatively early mornings (breakfast time) a lot more stress free as there were far fewer cars and such on the road.

Midgies were a pain in the arse in many areas, wear light long sleeves and pants and if you can get hold of a midgie net to go over your hat then I'd recommend one.

Use your fly screens in your van as much as possible, don't let the buggers in.

Sorry I couldn't help with specific Shetland info but I'm sure the place would be similar to the roads on which I drove.

Good luck on your travels, hope you have a good one, we certainly did.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:20 pm

Fort Augustus is worth a stopping at for lunch, or maybe overnight, when you're travelling down Loch Ness.

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:26 pm

Just to add.

We used an App called park4night . It was invaluable for us whilst wild camping in the couple of nights in-between going on camping and caravan sites to empty our cassette, clothes wash, proper shower, refill water etc.. You can go in the settings and set the parameters to include parking spots that actually allow overnight parking....ended up at some really beautiful spots with it, what a great app.

Also, If you're parking in Fort William for a walk around, this spot was probably the best. lots of space for long campervans...
Screenshot_2023-08-15-15-19-56-570_com.google.android.apps.maps-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-08-15-15-19-56-570_com.google.android.apps.maps-edit.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 939 times

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:22 pm

About 15 years ago in May and June we took our motor home, complete with bicycles, to the Shetland islands (whatever you do don’t say The Shetlands to the locals!). If you were looking for advice on nightlife then I cannot be of help!

We loved it there but think we should have visited slightly later in the year. Agree with the earlier recommendation for park4night. We enjoy spending time in wild remote places like the northern islands of Yell, Unst and Fetlar, but this might be more difficult if you have just a week to spend on Shetland. We were surprised to find that once we had paid for the ferry across to Yell, travelling between the other islands was free. If you do head there it is worth stopping en route and walking across the sandy spit of land connecting mainland to Fora Ness.

If you are a golfer, Whalsay has the most northerly golf course in the UK, the only trouble is even if you hit a shot that carries 200 yards it will only run another 10 yards or so, but it is an interesting experience. Enjoy!

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:07 am

If you intend doing any walking on Shetland make sure you wear long trousers and have a "tick" remover in your possession. Ticks are in abundance on the island and unfortunately Lymes disease is carried by them. An associate of mine from Shetland nearly lost his wife to the disease a few years back. Also be prepared to ask people to repeat what they say because it's a weird accent. I sailed with Shetland crews for a few years and it took me ages to get used to their accent which takes on a dialect form when they converse with one another. "De y ken?"

SlidingTackle
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by SlidingTackle » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:51 am

Go to Shetland regularly (I'm a birder). First off it is Shetland (not the Shetlands, the Shetland Isles, the Shetland Islands, etc.).

Yes, compared to Orkney the scenery can be austere but it harsh its own beauty.

Great to island hop.

You only pay north bound. Best to book ahead using the (very good) Shetland travel app.

Do a big shop at the Tesco's (or Co-op) in Lerwick. Don't expect too much in the way of pubs, restaurants and shops away from Lerwick or Scalloway. There are some places, and these are often gems, but they are few and far between.

If you do a shop at Tesco's be sure to have at least a coffee (but better still a meal) in Fjara on the shore just across from Tesco's. Superb place. Not many Tesco's car-parks that have sometimes had crowds of onlookers watching killer whales just offshore.

Sumburgh Head and St Ninian's Island are musts on mainland, but I do recommend trying to see as much of the archipelago as possible.

Going to Hermaness on Unst and seeing the lighthouse on Muckle Flugga with its lighthouse is a must if you want to collect the extremities of the British Isles. The most northerly point..... .

Bear in mind that it is not a collection of small islands. Shetland is surprisingly big. Shetland Museum in Lerwick is a must on a wet day.

Enough. Just a great place to explore.