Malaysia

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SSCLARET
Been Liked: 7 times

Malaysia

Post by SSCLARET » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:16 pm

I am travelling to Malaysia, flying to Singapore and on to langkawi for 5 nights then on to penang for a further 5 nights then finishing in Singapore. I was wondering what the local budget airlines are like for dependability and any further advice re. Hotels bars and restaurants.
Cheers guys

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Re: Malaysia

Post by 4midable » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:11 pm

Tripadvisor pal

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:44 pm

4midable wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:11 pm
Tripadvisor pal
I don’t know whether to applaud the honesty / truth, or be sarcastic and say how very helpful :roll: :roll: :roll:

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:17 am

SSCLARET wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:16 pm
I am travelling to Malaysia, flying to Singapore and on to langkawi for 5 nights then on to penang for a further 5 nights then finishing in Singapore. I was wondering what the local budget airlines are like for dependability and any further advice re. Hotels bars and restaurants.
Cheers guys
I spent 3 weeks in Singapore work/holiday and a week in Penang during a holiday to Malaysia/Indonesia.

Singapore is pretty expensive for bars/restaurants (and a lot of the Western/expat stuff quite dull). Little India is probably cheapest for drinks and has some good restaurants too. Would recommend the hawker centres and food courts too.

In Penang pretty much all eating and drinking I did was at hawker centres and food courts. That's what it's really known for and there's an amazing variety of stuff there.

I flew Air Asia for the short haul flights and don't remember any issues.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:20 am

4midable wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:11 pm
Tripadvisor pal
No one uses TripAdvisor anymore.

JellyBaby
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by JellyBaby » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:24 am

Last time I was in Penang I stayed in the Arte S Suite I think it was called a few years ago. Cheap and great facilities, basically an apartment with en-suite rooms for about 15 quid. A couple of quid for a taxi into the centre, walking distance to cheap food stalls and a snooker hall. Job done ✔️

maccclaret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:43 am

I’ve never had problems with Air Asia and feel more like a human being than I ever do with Ryanair.

Corway
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Corway » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:49 am

We visited a few months after the 2004 Tsunami
staying in KL on business and then flying to Langkawi staying in a luxurious resort on the North coast near the Datai. Lots of wildlife there. We got a convertible car for a day so toured the island but can’t advise hotels on the south. We also had our own chef for a romantic barbecue on the beach - best place we ever stayed

We enjoyed KL where we got an executive room at the PJ Hilton for £28 a night for 14 nights. Very memorable was a Selangour fireflies tour from KL which included a local meal on the river.
I see Penang has fireflies tours too, however do take anti mosquito precautions - we didn’t !
Our baggage was booked forward from Langkawi to Glasgow and the local flights were fine.
Be prepared for torrential downpours they seemed to happen the same time every day for 30 mins or so in January /February

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 am

Regular visitors to Singapore and Penang. Singapore’s a great place. So many places to eat from street food to high end restaurants. Little India is a must. Don’t know what you’re interested in but Gardens by the Bay is amazing. To avoid long queues best to book online. Use the MRT to get around…cheap and very efficient. Ticket machines have an English option. Interesting mix of old colonial and ultra modern architecture. Worth visiting Marina Bay Sands …fantastic view from the top!
Penang is another fascinating place…Georgetown in particular. Famous for its street art and places to eat. Head for somewhere selling Nonya food to taste local delicacies. Like Singapore, there’s an interesting mix of old colonial and modern buildings. We tend to use GRAB taxis…very cheap and efficient. Local bus services are useful but not always easy to find an English speaking driver.
If flying to Singapore, we use Scoot but to Penang we tend to use Air Asia but be prepared for cancellations and flight time changes.
Some people don’t like Singapore because of its squeaky clean image…no chewing gum, vaping or dropping litter. Penang’s more laid back.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:05 am

Suratclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 am
Regular visitors to Singapore and Penang. Singapore’s a great place. So many places to eat from street food to high end restaurants. Little India is a must. Don’t know what you’re interested in but Gardens by the Bay is amazing. To avoid long queues best to book online. Use the MRT to get around…cheap and very efficient. Ticket machines have an English option. Interesting mix of old colonial and ultra modern architecture. Worth visiting Marina Bay Sands …fantastic view from the top!
Penang is another fascinating place…Georgetown in particular. Famous for its street art and places to eat. Head for somewhere selling Nonya food to taste local delicacies. Like Singapore, there’s an interesting mix of old colonial and modern buildings. We tend to use GRAB taxis…very cheap and efficient. Local bus services are useful but not always easy to find an English speaking driver.
If flying to Singapore, we use Scoot but to Penang we tend to use Air Asia but be prepared for cancellations and flight time changes.
Some people don’t like Singapore because of its squeaky clean image…no chewing gum, vaping or dropping litter. Penang’s more laid back.
Great review of Singapore. Lots to see and do. Food, history, Sentosa Island, Bugis, Chinatown, The end is listless, all in easy access via the MRT. I visit at least once a year,

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:16 am

SSCLARET wrote:
Cheers guys
there are loads of videos on Penang on youtube by folks who have been, loads of advice on places to eat etc

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:29 am

aggi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:20 am
No one uses TripAdvisor anymore.
Speak for yourself

skibum84
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by skibum84 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:06 am

Corway wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:49 am
We visited a few months after the 2004 Tsunami
staying in KL on business and then flying to Langkawi staying in a luxurious resort on the North coast near the Datai. Lots of wildlife there. We got a convertible car for a day so toured the island but can’t advise hotels on the south. We also had our own chef for a romantic barbecue on the beach - best place we ever stayed
Was that The Andaman hotel? We stayed there in 2016 and t'was amazing! We would love to return but it burnt down a few years ago and currently being rebuilt.

We have used Airasia quite a few times. So cheap and never had any problems with them.

footballdiedin92
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by footballdiedin92 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:55 am

I had a mate who went to Penang regularly just for food, so when we visited a few years ago he gave me a list of the best places to go for each of the local dishes. Some of the best food I've ever eaten and cost pennies rather than pounds. Best ones were

Char koay teow - head to Jalan Siam in George town. Old man on the street cooking on a cart. You won't miss him as there is a queue down the street waiting to order. Once you order he grunts at you and points at a cafe over the street. The cafe doesn't do food as they can't compete with him so they just serve drinks and let you bring his food in. Long wait but worth every second.

Penang asam laksa - air itam laksa just outside air itam market on Jalan pasar in pulau pinang. It's near to Penang hill station. The chap has been on a few travel programs I think.

Nasi kandar - hameediyah restaurant 164 lebuh campbell Georgetown. Misunderstood how to order and massively over ordered. I felt ill by the time I'd left. The food was so good there was no chance I was leaving any and felt like Mr creosote.

If you aren't eating roti Prata/canai every morning for breakfast while you are in Singapore/Penang, then I think there my be something wrong with you.

I'll try pretty much anything but beware the Penang rojak. A dessert made of fruit, fish and peanut sauce. An acquired taste.

Hope all these places are still going since covid.
Have a great time. Very jealous.

footballdiedin92
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by footballdiedin92 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:15 am

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 am

Get yourself a couple of durian fruit for the flights between islands
This user liked this post: footballdiedin92

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:25 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 am
Get yourself a couple of durian fruit for the flights between islands
I bet they don't let you on with the smell of them. Taste lovely, though.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:03 am

Plenty of dependable budget airlines from Singapore to Malaysia including air Asia, Jetstar and scoot. If they are departing from Changi then you can be relatively assured of their safety.

If you are feeling adventurous and want to take in the sights then you can book a coach too from just a seat to something a bit more luxurious, possible then to consider a slow trip north via Malacca and Ipoh

https://www.littlestepsasia.com/singapo ... -malaysia/

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3432 times

Post by turfytopper » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:32 pm

SSCLARET wrote:
Cheers guys
My good friend a Malaysian lives an hour from KL. Big Burnley fan. Happy to send your post to him.
He will hopefully get over for another home game soon. He's supported us since a boy in the 70s.

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:23 am

Did a similar trip with my ex a few years back. We did Singapore, KL, and Langkawi, before flying back to Singapore. Used Lufthanse to get to Singapore and back from England, but all our short flights there were with Tiger airlines, which I think is now called scoot air. Was cheap and cheerful, fine for short flights.

The difference in money you’ll spend in Singapore and Langkawi is very noticeable, Langkawi is good value and a great place. I recommend hiring a scooter, buying a map and doing some exploring.

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:36 am

Not sure I can recommend individual places as it’s been a few years, but you should check out little India in Singapore, I had my best curry there. Langkawi had great seafood and excellent Thai massages.

Personally, I always buy a ‘lonely planet guide’ for these kinds of trips. They update them every few years with good info and recommendations.

MalaysiaMo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by MalaysiaMo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:04 am

Try the Temple Tree Resort in Langkawi - south of the airport. Temple Tree comprises a collection of buildings from other parts of Malaysia and reconstructed on the island

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/li ... al-history

Also, seriously consider hiring a car. Langkawi is quite a large island, with lots of things to see and do. Car hire and fuel are relatively cheap.

Lots of great places to stay in Chinatown, George Town, Penang. Try the East Indies Mansion, 25, Lebuh China, George Town - http://eastindieshotel.com/. The East Indies Mansion is a restored former home of Koh Lay Huan, a people trafficker who the colonial Brits depended on during the 19th Century when they needed cheap labour from southern China.