Saudi League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Saudi League

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:57 pm

Now it didnt really matter when they were signing over 30's and the likes of Ronaldo to try to boost their league. But now with the signings of the likes of Gabri Viega who was tipped for the top and big things they are obviously trying more than just having a circus league with big names on their last legs

Question is though...yes these players will have good paydays, but...and this is me never having played at a decent level, playing in such a league which isnt at all competitive will it take them backwards. What I mean is is a highly tipped wonderkid, going playing over there, not really testing himself for 3 or 4 years then wanting a move back, will the level he will be able to play at have gone down?

I also doubt many elite national team bosses will look at players in that league

Thoughts?

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Re: Saudi League

Post by Pickles » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:29 pm

The Pro League is different to the Chinese Super League, as an example, because it isn't primarily older players going over there. Of course there are exceptions - Oscar to Shanghai is the big one - but on the whole, the Super League was never able to attract younger players if ever they even wanted to.

But it seems the transfers to Saudi Arabia are the surface of a much deeper project. Saudi Arabia want to expand and strengthen football from the roots up.

There's some good stuff out there to articulate it better than I can now but yes, right now the standard isn't as high as the top five or so leagues in Europe. But there's every intention, and the pennies to go with it, to change that quite soon.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm

The Saudis are in the process of “negotiating” with UEFA about allowing their league winner to enter the Champions League

That will make a big difference to their league
There are plenty of footballers to go around, so if they want to go for the payday, let them get on with it
They won’t be missed, just like those who went to China weren’t missed

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm

Do you believe though that playing in that heat, those times, at the sub standard level it is right now, will improve the players? Like that Viega...in 4 years time would he have been a better player if he had gone to Arsenal who were after him, or moving to the Saudi club he has chosen? Its okay as a pitstop for older players, but younger players, long term, will it not stunt their ability?

RickyBobby
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by RickyBobby » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:34 pm

The only way the Saudi league will become a top league is if their clubs get to play in the Uefa champions league.
Or maybe a European super league.
With all the money they have never say never.

If a club doesn‘t ever play against the big European clubs in a competitive competition there is a fairly low ceiling to what they can achieve.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm
The Saudis are in the process of “negotiating” with UEFA about allowing their league winner to enter the Champions League

That will make a big difference to their league
There are plenty of footballers to go around, so if they want to go for the payday, let them get on with it
They won’t be missed, just like those who went to China weren’t missed
Yes, I cant recall one player actually restarting their career after the move to the Chinese league, maybe Rondon on his loan spell back at United, but thats it. That is what I am trying to get at here, is this a career ender for the younger lads? In my opinion it is, I think a couple of years out there will put them back on their development. Yes they will have been well paid, but a 4 yr career versus a possible 15 yr career playing the beautiful game, I know which I would prefer, and no agent could tell me otherwise

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:38 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm
Do you believe though that playing in that heat, those times, at the sub standard level it is right now, will improve the players? Like that Viega...in 4 years time would he have been a better player if he had gone to Arsenal who were after him, or moving to the Saudi club he has chosen? Its okay as a pitstop for older players, but younger players, long term, will it not stunt their ability?
I'd agree with you but it seems Saudi Arabia are determined to bring the best players, the best coaches etc. And as mentioned above, if they get a place or places in the Champions League then they could likely overtake some of the big leagues in Europe in five years or so. Will it happen? I don't know. But it definitely feels different to what happened in China.

Personally, I like the concept of another country in another part of the world competing with European sides. But of course it being Saudi Arabia opens up another debate which this thread isn't about.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:39 pm

The Saudis are, more likely than not, going down the world super league route.
They will have 3 or 4 teams to compete with R Madrid, Juve, Barcelona, M Utd etc.
They will overide UEFA.
2 years off.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm

Nobody cares.
Nobody watches it.
Nobody knows any of the teams. Who does Ronaldo play for?
No history.
No supporters.
Let them take the money and disappear into obscurity. With a bit of luck it will speed up the advent of the Super League as a UEFA response.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:42 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:35 pm
Yes, I cant recall one player actually restarting their career after the move to the Chinese league, maybe Rondon on his loan spell back at United, but thats it. That is what I am trying to get at here, is this a career ender for the younger lads? In my opinion it is, I think a couple of years out there will put them back on their development. Yes they will have been well paid, but a 4 yr career versus a possible 15 yr career playing the beautiful game, I know which I would prefer, and no agent could tell me otherwise
4yrs on that money and they won’t be worried, they could retire and never have to work again

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm
Nobody cares.
Nobody watches it.
No history.
No supporters.
Let them take the money and disappear into obscurity. With a bit of luck it will speed up the advent of the Super League as a UEFA response.
It’s being promoted all over social media, I think it’s also going to be streamed/broadcast across Europe for people to watch

It will eventually gain viewers, especially with the quality of players going out there

It won’t reach PL levels but to say no one will watch it is daft
Football fans watch any number of smaller leagues because they just like watching football or for betting reasons etc

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:46 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm
Nobody cares.
Nobody watches it.
No history.
No supporters.
Nobody watches it? Nobody cares? No history? No supporters? Really? You sure?

There's making a point and then there's just coming across as ignorant.

And Ronaldo plays for Al Nassr.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:42 pm
4yrs on that money and they won’t be worried, they could retire and never have to work again
And yet wasnt it Ronaldo's team that recently had a transfer ban put on them because they hadnt been paying the players?

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:50 pm

Pickles wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:46 pm

And Ronaldo plays for Al Nassr.
Never heard of them.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 pm

One thing I do think they will have in their favour is the buying of African players. If it does grow as they want I think this would be the thing which strengthens African football as a whole and maybe the money will trickle back into their grassroots football better than our European teams plundering their sides for the last 20/30 years

Partly down to 40% of the African population being Muslim which would surely be a factor for many of their footballers

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 pm

I’d hope that UEFA and its members are doing everything possible to stop entry into European competitions from a league outside of Europe. No matter how much money they might bring to the table.

The issue as I see it is that all that money being brought to the European table will surely entice all of the greedy pigs to the trough.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 pm
I’d hope that UEFA and its members are doing everything possible to stop entry into European competitions from a league outside of Europe. No matter how much money they might bring to the table.

The issue as I see it is that all that money being brought to the European table will surely entice all of the greedy pigs to the trough.
Dont know the ins and outs massively, but would a Saudi backed UEFA be able to oust FIFA. We have seen plenty of gesturing over the last few years of the two not being in perfect harmony

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:59 pm

DCWat wrote:

UEFA & associates are no doubt doing everything in their power to keep control over the " kitty".
But they will be penniless and powerless when the TV companies switch allegiance.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:11 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm
Dont know the ins and outs massively, but would a Saudi backed UEFA be able to oust FIFA. We have seen plenty of gesturing over the last few years of the two not being in perfect harmony
They could probably achieve anything if they can convince / grease the palms of the various pro FIFA countries. Whether that’s the aim, entry into UEFA or other, I wouldn’t have a clue.

If they could enter UEFA competition, what is to stop the MLS of thinking along the same lines and where does that leave all of the less monied FIFA members?

There’s more to it than simply wanting a top level league in Saudi Arabia, that’s for sure (and that not even considering the whole sports washing debate).

Chester and others will have a far better grasp than I would.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:13 pm

I’d be all for Saudi teams joining the champions league, why not?

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:17 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:57 pm

Thoughts?
TBH, I literally couldn’t care less about the Saudi league. It’ll probably go the way of the Chinese super league, except they have more money until the oil runs out.

Players going there. Couldn’t care less. Chances of us signing someone from there? Pretty slim.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:18 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:59 pm
UEFA & associates are no doubt doing everything in their power to keep control over the " kitty".
But they will be penniless and powerless when the TV companies switch allegiance.
I think that there’s some merit in this.

The old days of the important people being the fans that goes to watch their team are long gone, we’re just useful for an atmosphere and to help make the product look good. The important ones are the millions watching on the tele.

That’s the big clubs mainly but it’s a slice of the pie that we are looking for as well with JJ, Dude Perfect and others.

On one hand, I quite like what we are doing and trying to achieve, on the other, I hate what the game has and is becoming.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:20 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:59 pm
Which is why the Super League might look a bit more attractive to the powers that be within UEFA.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:58 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:39 pm
The Saudis are, more likely than not, going down the world super league route.
They will have 3 or 4 teams to compete with R Madrid, Juve, Barcelona, M Utd etc.
They will overide UEFA.
2 years off.
this, the Saudi's will throw so much money at these super clubs the owners wont be able to contain themselves

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:58 am

claret2018 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:13 pm
I’d be all for Saudi teams joining the champions league, why not?
EUROPEAN Champions League

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:58 am
EUROPEAN Champions League
MECCABI TEL AVIV have played in the champions League for how long now?

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:27 am

DCWat wrote:

They already allow teams outside of Europe in the champions league you nana lol.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:02 am

At the moment, we have greedy players making the move for frankly obscene amounts of money. That’s all it is, pure greed.
Allow entry into the European Champions League and these players will then have the argument (it won’t be true of course, but they will reel it out every time they are asked) that they’ve gone there for footballing reasons, an argument they currently don’t have.

The Middle East is NOT Europe, and that’s really the only argument against it anyone has. Personally, I think that argument is good enough to keep them out, but I’d imagine there’s a billion, trillion reasons why it’s pretty much inevitable. Maybe they could start their own competition for the champions of the countries of the gulf states, but then that won’t have the history and the reverence of the ECL, so better just to buy one that already exists, because let’s be honest here, that’s what they will do. Would it not be geographically better for them to compete in an Asian or African competition? Probably, but neither of those two areas have the quality of players or the global interest that the ECL has, so that won’t interest them.
FIFA are as corrupt as they have ever been, and they will sanction it like they sanctioned Qatar. For me, that was the first step in changing the world order of football. They sold football to the highest bidder, and they will keep dipping into the pot forever.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1755 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:39 am

It’s a smaller country than England and the Pro League’s average attendance is about 10k. There are 6 teams in the league of 18 currently averaging under 2k through the gate.

Big stars or not, I’m not sure what the TV audience is going to be like for games played at a slow pace in high temperatures inside of sparse stadiums.

If the Saudi’s can’t be arsed (can’t afford) to watch it, I’m not sure how many others across the world will. Then all you’ve got is a load of very wealthy players playing in a vacuum.

It’ll also be interesting to see how it impacts the sharpness/international prospects of these big stars. There’s clearly some good players over there, but not all of the 18 teams are packed with top level players. If you’re not being challenged to the extent you were in your previous club, you’re less likely to improve or maintain high performance levels.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:41 am

If the LIV golf / PGA debacle is anything to go by there's only so long the traditional competitions will be able to fight off the Saudi juggernaut before allowing them to take a large slice of the pie.

They already own Newcastle and have a foot in the door. All they need to do is keep draining talent away from the PL and there'll be a lot of nervousness in a lot of boardrooms.

The PL is dangerously over-inflated and is completely reliant on a huge global audience. If that starts to change the whole house of cards will come down.

The Saudis will be calling the shots in a few years and the PL, UEFA etc will have to give in to them or face being wiped out.

I suppose this is just the logical next phase for a sport (and an economic system) that's allowed itself to be corrupted by insatiable greed for decades.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1755 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:44 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:41 am
If the LIV golf / PGA debacle is anything to go by there's only so long the traditional competitions will be able to fight off the Saudi juggernaut before allowing them to take a large slice of the pie.

They already own Newcastle and have a foot in the door. All they need to do is keep draining talent away from the PL and there'll be a lot of nervousness in a lot of boardrooms.

The PL is dangerously over-inflated and is completely reliant on a huge global audience. If that starts to change the whole house of cards will come down.

The Saudis will be calling the shots in a few years and the PL, UEFA etc will have to give in to them or face being wiped out.

I suppose this is just the logical next phase for a sport (and an economic system) that's allowed itself to be corrupted by insatiable greed for decades.
Yep. The influx of big players into a league most won’t be interested in, definitely feels like a necessary first step into something more far reaching, rather than an actual end goal.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:44 am

CFS wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 am
MECCABI TEL AVIV have played in the champions League for how long now?
Whilst Israel could technically be classed as in Asia it’s located at the crossroads and is a member of many European transnational federations and frameworks… and they participate in , for instance, the European Championships (and European song contest !)
There is no valid analogy with Saudi Arabia …. I don’t know anyone with the slightest interest in their teams or league whoever they sign. Leave them out there as a League for greed (I realise that money talks so no doubt UEFA will bend over for them ultimately . I won’t be watching)
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:57 am

agreenwood wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:39 am
It’s a smaller country than England and the Pro League’s average attendance is about 10k. There are 6 teams in the league of 18 currently averaging under 2k through the gate.

Big stars or not, I’m not sure what the TV audience is going to be like for games played at a slow pace in high temperatures inside of sparse stadiums.

If the Saudi’s can’t be arsed (can’t afford) to watch it, I’m not sure how many others across the world will. Then all you’ve got is a load of very wealthy players playing in a vacuum.

It’ll also be interesting to see how it impacts the sharpness/international prospects of these big stars. There’s clearly some good players over there, but not all of the 18 teams are packed with top level players. If you’re not being challenged to the extent you were in your previous club, you’re less likely to improve or maintain high performance levels.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking small.
The Saudis don't want a local league, that's just a precursor.
Think mini world cup every week played all over the world.
Man utd v Miami
Real Madrid v An Argentina team
Korea v Juventus

The TV audience will be enormous.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 am

Will fans stand for it though?

Remember when a super league was being discussed a couple of years ago supporters of those clubs intending to join protested in large numbers outside the grounds of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U., Man City etc.

The owners quickly backed down when they realised the I'll feeling towards them.

Would it be any different this time if supporters of the big clubs turn out in large numbers to protest again?

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:14 am

Spijed wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 am
Will fans stand for it though?

Remember when a super league was being discussed a couple of years ago supporters of those clubs intending to join protested in large numbers outside the grounds of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U., Man City etc.

The owners quickly backed down when they realised the I'll feeling towards them.

Would it be any different this time if supporters of the big clubs turn out in large numbers to protest again?
No….I don’t believe it would. As the Chelsea fan placard said “We want our Tuesday nights in Stoke”. I’m a football nut but have no interest in watching a “Super League” …. Maybe the PlayStation generation feel differently , I don’t know.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:28 am

Would not be surprised if the Saudis either created their own competing version of UEFA or bankrolled a world super league in the next 10 years.

It worked for golf.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 am

Football organisations bow down and kiss the backside of money, they will find a way to welcome them,their money and FFP will be consigned to the dustbin.

RMutt
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:06 am

It seems the Just Stop Oil supporters are are actually football fans after all. Without the oil money, when the world turns to sustainable energy sources, will the Saudis be able to afford all this sports extravagance?

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:53 am

I started a similar thread a few months back on this issue. I think it is a big attempt by the Saudis to sportwash their image and records on human rights, murder of a journalist, etc. They have bought Newcastle and also close to buying Manchester United. I believe that they will throws ridiculous money at top players to bring them to the Saudi league and will attempt to overturn the Premier league and become the main TV channel for elite football viewing.

I just hope that UEFA and the Premier league are awake to this. I have little hope though that there will be any support politically or FIFA or from tv companies. Hopefully traditional football will shine through until the Saudis lose interest, but not confident.

getbennyon
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by getbennyon » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:49 am

RMutt wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:06 am
It seems the Just Stop Oil supporters are are actually football fans after all. Without the oil money, when the world turns to sustainable energy sources, will the Saudis be able to afford all this sports extravagance?
Despite what the mainstream media and the political class tell you, that won't be happening anytime soon however considering their geographical location and climate is there a better country on earth to export sustainable solar energy? but seeing as you ask, they're diversifying their economy. The money into sports pales in comparison to the country itself will be receiving... $800 billion over the next decade for tourism, They're currently building a resort(the size of Belgium) by the Red Sea which will become THE destination in the Middle East, the first phase opens in a few months.

What's really happening is a global realignment, the non-Western World is getting richer and richer. Asia is now the biggest economic region, the fastest growing economic region and most of the planet lives there. Whilst the West is working out what a woman is, the East is doing business...
These 2 users liked this post: Nonayforever Carlos the Great

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:59 pm

This is what Neymar is up against.
https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/statu ... _&ref_url=

Whilst the standard may improve it's currently not even at a level most teams at the bottom end of the football pyramid play at. I'd even go as far to say it's not currently Sunday league standard for many of the sides.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:23 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:57 am
Don't fall into the trap of thinking small.
The Saudis don't want a local league, that's just a precursor.
Think mini world cup every week played all over the world.
Man utd v Miami
Real Madrid v An Argentina team
Korea v Juventus

The TV audience will be enormous.
It will never take off because most proper football fans don’t want it.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:42 pm
You could do that on a PL wage if you’re sensible - some even in a year

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:59 pm
This is what Neymar is up against.
https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/statu ... _&ref_url=

Whilst the standard may improve it's currently not even at a level most teams at the bottom end of the football pyramid play at. I'd even go as far to say it's not currently Sunday league standard for many of the sides.
Lots of people fooled by that video - it's a charity game in Brazil four or five years ago.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:45 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 pm
You could do that on a PL wage if you’re sensible - some even in a year
Exactly . I heard Jordan Henderson’s Saudi deal described as “life-changing”. How much do you need your life changed when you’ve already been earning the equivalent of a very high annual salary every single week for the last few years ?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:22 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:45 pm
Exactly . I heard Jordan Henderson’s Saudi deal described as “life-changing”. How much do you need your life changed when you’ve already been earning the equivalent of a very high annual salary every single week for the last few years ?
Just sets his family up for generations in the asset owning class.

With his purported wage he could see out his contract and in theory buy half of Burnley (if he wanted to) more or less

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:36 pm

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:30 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:45 pm
Bloke I work with who’s on very good money with a HUGE pension pot - but he’s been given a training role and kept his salary from his previous role which was more intense.

He openly says he’s gone as soon as they take the old salary off him and try and put him on a different salary - he’s just topping up his pension pot (even though he has over £1mil in there anyway in his early 60s).

What’s the difference with Henderson? He can earn another decades wage in the next couple of years to stay fit and healthy and kick a ball about with some class players - get a new experience of being in Saudi and the. Come back (or stay) and never worry about his grand kids having to struggle.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:30 pm

What’s the difference with Henderson? He can earn another decades wage in the next couple of years to stay fit and healthy and kick a ball about with some class players - get a new experience of being in Saudi and the. Come back (or stay) and never worry about his grand kids having to struggle.
Grandkids’ grandkids more like.

If that’s the world people are happy in creating then 🤷‍♂️

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:39 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 pm
Grandkids’ grandkids more like.

If that’s the world people are happy in creating then 🤷‍♂️
You’d be hard pressed to find many people truthfully say they wouldn’t do something they love doing for a couple of years and they got a stupid amount of money for doing it.

We’ll never be in that position but if we were, no doubt we’d be making sure the air con was on ready for our arrival to the mansion we’d just been given.