Saudi League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Re: Saudi League

Post by DCWat » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:55 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:23 pm
It will never take off because most proper football fans don’t want it.
It’s not the ‘proper fans’ that will be their audience. For every proper fan, I suspect there are hundreds or thousands that follow a player as opposed to a team.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:57 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Bloke I work with who’s on very good money with a HUGE pension pot - but he’s been given a training role and kept his salary from his previous role which was more intense.

He openly says he’s gone as soon as they take the old salary off him and try and put him on a different salary - he’s just topping up his pension pot (even though he has over £1mil in there anyway in his early 60s).

What’s the difference with Henderson? He can earn another decades wage in the next couple of years to stay fit and healthy and kick a ball about with some class players - get a new experience of being in Saudi and the. Come back (or stay) and never worry about his grand kids having to struggle.
Is that really something to aspire to though? Knowing the future generations of your family are going to grow up spoilt and never have to live in the real world?
And is living in Saudi really an "experience"? The lads seeing out their careers in America have got the right idea.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:02 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:39 pm
You’d be hard pressed to find many people truthfully say they wouldn’t do something they love doing for a couple of years and they got a stupid amount of money for doing it.

We’ll never be in that position but if we were, no doubt we’d be making sure the air con was on ready for our arrival to the mansion we’d just been given.
after earning a wad playing the game as is? I don’t think I would in all honesty.

I also think we should tax people that earn obscene money tax free over seas but want to come back and buy up uk assets with money earned in a different country… but that’s for a different discussion 😉

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:17 pm

I’m not interested in it and I don’t know anyone who is Dont know the teams anyone plays for or care if one team beats the other 10-0 every week. There are some things money just can’t buy. If they persist at throwing money at it over a long period of time it probably will be one more popular or known and the standard may improve. It has a long way to go though. Not sure Europeans care about the Chinese, Japanese or US leagues all of which have had money thrown at them.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:03 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
What’s the difference with Henderson? He can earn another decades wage in the next couple of years to stay fit and healthy and kick a ball about with some class players - get a new experience of being in Saudi and the. Come back (or stay) and never worry about his grand kids having to struggle.
Let's face it, if his grand kids couldn't be supported with a fantastic lifestyle on what he'd already earned at Liverpool then he's probably taken some seriously bad financial advice.

Your average Premier league salary will mean a footballer can support their entire family with a luxurious standard of living, that most can only dream of.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:09 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:55 pm
It’s not the ‘proper fans’ that will be their audience. For every proper fan, I suspect there are hundreds or thousands that follow a player as opposed to a team.
I see plenty of kids walking round in Ronaldo shirts. I find it bizarre personally that they'd wear the shirt of a club they'd never heard of because of one player but maybe I'm just getting old.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:13 pm

I'd watch grass roots every day of the week over this vulgar nonsense.
Perhaps its what football needs to make it affordable for the average fan in the UK.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:31 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:09 pm
I see plenty of kids walking round in Ronaldo shirts. I find it bizarre personally that they'd wear the shirt of a club they'd never heard of because of one player but maybe I'm just getting old.
It is bizarre, but it's today's world.
They want to fit in, be accepted, be part of the party. They want to wear the t shirt, say they have had a brilliant time, take photos & videos to upload to their friends to say look at me. Whilst all the time it's a drag, bur can't admit it.
Unfortunately, in todays x factor world they outnumber the sensible ones by a huge factor.
Football will only follow the inevitable TV audience, and disappointingly the TV audience outnumbers the loyal fans.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:19 pm

I do think the football world is changing quickly, and the PL probably doesn’t have that much longer as the number 1 league in the world. Once the top players get enticed out to Saudi by the wages the global audience will follow.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if this is what it takes for English football to come back down to Earth.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:43 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Bloke I work with who’s on very good money with a HUGE pension pot - but he’s been given a training role and kept his salary from his previous role which was more intense.

He openly says he’s gone as soon as they take the old salary off him and try and put him on a different salary - he’s just topping up his pension pot (even though he has over £1mil in there anyway in his early 60s).

Is the bloke you're working with putting on blinkers and offering himself up as a tool to be used to expedite the politics of a despotic regime that butchers and mutilates women and children? I know Britain is rounding up illegal immigrants and housing them in terrible places in pursuit of some paranoid nationalistic island-mentality politics that the morons in charge of the country think is what the people actually want, but as bad as UK govt is, the Saudis are actually shooting their immigrants dead in the mountains. Women and children shot to pieces, blown up and torn in half, strewn across the mountains. And those women and children who make it to detention centres alive are often raped. This has all been reported by Human Rights Watch. This is the ugly face of Saudi Arabia the government is desperate to hide with an ornate mask, a mask bejewelled with globally-reputable sports and entertainment. This is what Henderson is contributing to. No matter how much he and others want to distance their conscience from it by playing ignorant, their active participation in something that exists purely to scrub up a stain on that country's global reputation makes them accomplices. Unless the bloke you're working with is offering himself up as propaganda fodder in such a way, then this is the main difference.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies CoolClaret

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:54 am

Spiral wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:43 pm
Is the bloke you're working with putting on blinkers and offering himself up as a tool to be used to expedite the politics of a despotic regime that butchers and mutilates women and children? I know Britain is rounding up illegal immigrants and housing them in terrible places in pursuit of some paranoid nationalistic island-mentality politics that the morons in charge of the country think is what the people actually want, but as bad as UK govt is, the Saudis are actually shooting their immigrants dead in the mountains. Women and children shot to pieces, blown up and torn in half, strewn across the mountains. And those women and children who make it to detention centres alive are often raped. This has all been reported by Human Rights Watch. This is the ugly face of Saudi Arabia the government is desperate to hide with an ornate mask, a mask bejewelled with globally-reputable sports and entertainment. This is what Henderson is contributing to. No matter how much he and others want to distance their conscience from it by playing ignorant, their active participation in something that exists purely to scrub up a stain on that country's global reputation makes them accomplices. Unless the bloke you're working with is offering himself up as propaganda fodder in such a way, then this is the main difference.
I find all that hard to believe and i can see why players are going there. No country is perfect we as a country have no right pointing fingers. You would go there if you work and someone tripled your wage if you didn't your just dumb lol.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:02 am

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:39 pm
You’d be hard pressed to find many people truthfully say they wouldn’t do something they love doing for a couple of years and they got a stupid amount of money for doing it.

We’ll never be in that position but if we were, no doubt we’d be making sure the air con was on ready for our arrival to the mansion we’d just been given.
Was his £200,000+ per week salary at Liverpool not already a stupid amount of money for something he loved doing?

He's been earning north of £10 million a year for a good number of years.

It's nothing more than naked greed. That isn't surprising in itself. What is surprising is how quickly a very rich man abandoned his principles to earn even more money that he almost certainly doesn't even need.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:15 am

I noticed our ex-loan player, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, scored yesterday for Damak.
Presumably making more than decent living playing out there....

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:46 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:02 am
Was his £200,000+ per week salary at Liverpool not already a stupid amount of money for something he loved doing?

It's nothing more than naked greed. That isn't surprising in itself. What is surprising is how quickly a very rich man abandoned his principles to earn even more money that he almost certainly doesn't even need.
I think what’s surprising is how the attitude of people in this country has been radically shifted - probably from an unchecked gutter press, dross TV and years of Tory government just dragging people down.

I wasn’t alive back in the 50s-70s but I feel like we’d have more societal condemnation then rather than the attitude of ‘do what’s best for you and your family, f**k everything/everyone else’

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:27 pm

History, Tribalism, Passion & Atmosphere are just 4 things that make European football leagues, particularly the Premier league, so attractive to a global tv audience.
Saudi football cannot buy this no matter how much money they throw at the best players, these things need to grow over time and requires the people of Saudi Arabia to take part.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:09 pm

CFS wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:54 am
I find all that hard to believe and i can see why players are going there. No country is perfect we as a country have no right pointing fingers. You would go there if you work and someone tripled your wage if you didn't your just dumb lol.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/08/21/sau ... men-border

If you disbelieve Human Rights Watch and instead believe a fantasy you might create in your mind that HRW is making this up and that the Saudis are not so abhorrent as reported, it tells me you're one of those people who would happily apply the blinkers to give yourself a nice life, which tells me a lot about you as a person. I could probably triple my income selling drugs or pimping women, and you know what, I'm probably just dumb lol for not doing that. I feel everything needs spelling out on this forum, so in case you missed the meaning of the metaphor, the point is that you can earn loads of money doing abhorrent things or working as accomplices for abhorrent people, but that doesn't make it right. If you value ostentatious wealth over your moral compass (let's be clear, the people the Saudis are enticing to play in their league are already millionaires, making this level of wealth most definitely "ostentatious"), then that says a lot about you as a person.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:10 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:02 am

He didn't have any principles. He had a media team telling him which principles they were pretending he had on any particular day.