Spanish Football Chief : Should He Resign?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Spanish Football Chief : Should He Resign?

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:46 am

Luis Rubiales, the head of the RFEF, the Spanish Football Federation, has refused to resign over his kissing on the lips of player Jenni Hermosa at the presentation of medals after the victory over England in the World Cup Final. Headlines on most channels tonight.

I think he'll go, don't really think there's any way he can stay.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Re: Spanish Football Chief : Should He Resign?

Post by morpheus2 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:04 am

I've not seen this. Is she pretty?

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:40 am

Most people have probably seen it already but he was at some big event today or yesterday and got up on stage, did a speech, and at the end defiantly chanted "I will not resign, I will not resign, I will not resign" like he's some character in a civil rights film or something, and half the audience are applauding him, including, I think, the actual manager of the women's team! Honestly if that happened in England I legit think someone would have tried twatting him by now, but of course in England he'd have been out within 24 hours, and rightly so. I was weirded out watching it live. I just convinced myself when it was happening that he had that kind of close personal relationship with all of them like a father-figure manager does to their players, because he was a little too friendly with them all.

By the way the question "should he resign" doesn't even need to be asked because if he doesn't then he obvioously needs kicking out by someone else who can kick him out, which makes no difference either way so long as he's gone. The ethics of it are beyond debate. That question "should?" on this forum assumes the function of an invitation for this messageboard's trogs to downplay what is at best ludicrously inappropriate behaviour, to say nothing of the fact that according to this country's laws at least, and by extension, our morals, kissing someone on the lips without consent in considered sexual assault in most cases (queue the apologists for Rubiales' behaviour referencing Ashley Barnes' kiss on the nose as though the two things are comparable), so what the question really is, is "Spanish Football Chief: how far are UTC denizens willing to go to defend the indefensible?"
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret Greenmile

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:45 am

The immediate response to any defence put forward by anyone on here that "that's how latin Mediterranean's are" is quite obviously: no it's not, because the player stated her discomfort with it, and the fact the team has issued an ultimatum that he goes or they don't play is all the proof you need that such a defence doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If that's "how they are" the players would not be objecting.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:00 am

..................NO!...........................
This user liked this post: theonlywayisup

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:18 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:00 am
..................NO!...........................
He's gone pal. His position is about as untenably as any position in anything can be. It's a matter of when, not if, which, like I say, makes this thread not so much a sincere discussion on whether or not he should resign, as much as an experiment in how far people on here are willing to go to defend the indefensible, even if they don't actually believe the shite they probably will come out with about 'wokeness' and feminism. (In the press conference Rubiales essentially called the criticism aimed at him 'fake feminism', and I suspect there are a few on here who would be willing to reach out their hand and take the baton from him.)

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:22 am

I saw a replay of the incident in question......people get carried away... there was nothing creepy or sexual about it IMO.
I thought he'd refused to resign?
This user liked this post: bumba

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:26 am

Okay it is at times like this I'm reminded that I am wasting my time on this forum. When I say 'he's gone' I don't literally mean he has left his position, it should be clear from context that I mean he'll will not be able to keep his job.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:32 am

Oh and everything about it was creepy. I knew who he was before he started getting handsy with everyone because I recognised his bald head, which is to say, I knew he was at the Spanish FA, and I was taken aback watching it live because officials aren't supposed to act like that. Friends might do that, sure, but not people who aren't already close on a personal level, especially when it involves an actual KISS ON THE LIPS!!! which is why I assumed at the time they must all be close to him, but it appears that is not the case, because the players are mutinying, and good for them. Would be nice if a few current men's team players (not just the old ones no longer being selected) would grow some balls and back the women's team players with their ultimatum.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:15 am

Wasn't he gesturing with his hand on his cock in front of the Queen of Spain and her young son/grandson? He was already in trouble for that before this occured

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:15 am

Not at them by the way, towards the pitch but within close proximity of them

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:17 am

UPDATE...
Head of the Spanish Women's Football Federation, Rafael del Amo resigns in protest.
The Spanish government begins moves to have Rubiales removed from his post.
79 players refuse to play for the national team until he goes.
(Guardian/Mail/Express)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:42 am

If he had an ounce of decency he would have apologised and resigned the next morning.

Doing what he did shows he hasn’t any decency and the fact he’s still clinging to his job is shameful

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:45 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:22 am
I saw a replay of the incident in question......people get carried away... there was nothing creepy or sexual about it IMO.
Nothing creepy or sexual about a woman being kissed on the lips without her consent?

Interesting viewpoint to put out there.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:47 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Oh dear.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:03 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:18 am
He's gone pal. His position is about as untenably as any position in anything can be. It's a matter of when, not if, which, like I say, makes this thread not so much a sincere discussion on whether or not he should resign, as much as an experiment in how far people on here are willing to go to defend the indefensible, even if they don't actually believe the shite they probably will come out with about 'wokeness' and feminism. (In the press conference Rubiales essentially called the criticism aimed at him 'fake feminism', and I suspect there are a few on here who would be willing to reach out their hand and take the baton from him.)
Very odd

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:08 am

There was a clip at the end of last nights game where Pochetino looked as though he was doing exactly same thing, to one of his players. It cut away at the point of ‘impact’.

Perhaps I’m being cynical, but I did wonder if the cut away was intentional, in light of the recent event.

Should the Spanish bloke have done it, probably not. Was there something sinister in what he did, no I don’t think so. It was just an in the moment thing that looks as though it’s been blown out of proportion.

It certainly didn’t strike me as a man taking advantage of his position and violating a woman.

It’s something that you do see in football from time to time. Would it have caused less of a furore had he planted the smacker on the top of her head, instead of her lips?

Would the same level of outrage have occurred had England won and Wiegman done the same to one of her players, or is it because he’s not the manager but the head of their FA, does that somehow make it different?

Perhaps I’m not reading the modern room with this view, but I just saw a bloke (and woman) overjoyed with the result. An emotional, split second action, that it’s not uncommon to see in sport.

Where I think he is wrong is the nonsense he has come out with about asking permission! There’s no way, in the clip that I have seen, that there was a conversation about asking for and receiving consent. That to me looks a blatant lie.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:15 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:08 am
There was a clip at the end of last nights game where Pochetino looked as though he was doing exactly same thing, to one of his players. It cut away at the point of ‘impact’.

Perhaps I’m being cynical, but I did wonder if the cut away was intentional, in light of the recent event.

Should the Spanish bloke have done it, probably not. Was there something sinister in what he did, no I don’t think so. It was just an in the moment thing that looks as though it’s been blown out of proportion.

It certainly didn’t strike me as a man taking advantage of his position and violating a woman.

It’s something that you do see in football from time to time. Would it have caused less of a furore had he planted the smacker on the top of her head, instead of her lips?

Would the same level of outrage have occurred had England won and Wiegman done the same to one of her players, or is it because he’s not the manager but the head of their FA, does that somehow make it different?

Perhaps I’m not reading the modern room with this view, but I just saw a bloke (and woman) overjoyed with the result. An emotional, split second action, that it’s not uncommon to see in sport.

Where I think he is wrong is the nonsense he has come out with about asking permission! There’s no way, in the clip that I have seen, that there was a conversation about asking for and receiving consent. That to me looks a blatant lie.
I agree with most, if not all of that, it's not like he did it down a back alley, or a dark corner of a club, it was done in the heat of the moment in front of millions with no sinister intent. One thing I am not sure of, is did the player complain at the time, shortly after, or not at all?.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:31 am

What he did after the game was completely inappropriate, as was his crotch-grabbing antics during the game, as was his humiliating outburst yesterday.

He's clearly unfit for the role and should be a gonner.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:44 am

No. He should have been sacked, and I hope he will be.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:46 am

100%

It shouldn’t have come to this, his attitude matches the act, complete **** that thinks he can do what he wants

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:48 am

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spani ... b458d.html

"Rubiales' crude victimizing ploy has worked too many times, this time continuing to attempt it is simply ridiculous," Tebas wrote.

"It's impossible to attribute his misogynistic and deplorable behavior to any absurd conspiracy when the reputational harm to all of Spanish football is already unavoidable.
"I must acknowledge that explaining what has been happening with Luis Rubiales during these years has been very difficult.

"I have the sense that many people, until now, didn't understand what members of the football institutions have had to endure in dealing with him as president of the RFEF.
"The misogynistic gestures, vulgar expressions, the protocol disaster, and the insults in this recent global embarrassment aren't a surprise and had obvious precedents that should have prevented a new victim (who shouldn't be the focus).

"The insults, arrogance, blackmail, threats, espionage, and persecution, fraudulently using federative bodies, are experienced and have been reported by many: male and female professional football, futsal, amateur football clubs, footballers' associations, regional presidents, presidents of the Superior Sports Council, integrity directors, ministers, referees, players...

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:58 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:15 am
I agree with most, if not all of that, it's not like he did it down a back alley, or a dark corner of a club, it was done in the heat of the moment in front of millions with no sinister intent. One thing I am not sure of, is did the player complain at the time, shortly after, or not at all?.
No she didn't she walked.away with a huge smile on her face and never mentioned it until the media blew it up.....probably because they didn't have the England won the world cup story

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:13 am

Yes, he should resign. He hasn’t so, he should now be sacked.

The lionesses have this morning released a statement (strangely worded) in support of the Spanish ladies.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:13 am

Christ.

This forum man.

Properly grim.

She didn’t complain at the time ….. it wasn’t down a back alley ….. it’s all been overblown.

It’s like the last 30 years haven’t happened.
These 8 users liked this post: RicardoMontalban ChrisG GaryClaret JohnDearyMe RHansburyEsq Greenmile Enola Gay fidelcastro

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:14 am

Yes he should resign. If not, he should be sacked.

Nothing else to it.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:15 am

If it was consensual, then he wouldn't have needed to have his hands on the back of her head so that she couldn't get away.
He appeared overly grabby with an awful lot of them. I don't think that his peck on the lips (it was hardly a john wayne style sexual assault) was much worse than grabbing her and kissing her on the cheeks. He did that with some of the others and there's no sign of any of them reciprocating either.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:27 am

So far we’ve had:

Was she pretty? (Ugh)
Is it any worse than if he’d kissed a dude, (yes, though you’d argue that if the dude wasn’t consenting then neither scenario is great)
At least it was in front of the cameras and not down a dark alley or seedy nightclub (well… I guess…)
And, did she even complain (yes, very much so)

It’s about consent. It’s not much to ask that women can go around without worrying about being grabbed and kissed by people they don’t want to in situations they don’t want. Or anyone for that matter.

Come on lads. It isn’t that difficult to be a better than that.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Greenmile Enola Gay

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:27 am

Can't wait for Jakub's take on this.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Greenmile

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:29 am

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:13 am

The lionesses have this morning released a statement (strangely worded) in support of the Spanish ladies.
They appear to be having a general pop at the Spanish fa. That does seem a bit odd in the circumstances, but there again I imagine that some of them have played in Spain and if you had to pick out an international fa within europe that has had the most issues with racism (in particular), homophobia etc, mainly due to their doing very little about it when it happens, then Spain would be right up there in a medal position.
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:31 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:

Would you say the same if the Spanish Football Chief was a gay guy, and he did this to your son or grandson? No you wouldn't, because it would be unacceptable and so is this.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:38 am

bumba wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:58 am
No she didn't she walked.away with a huge smile on her face and never mentioned it until the media blew it up.....probably because they didn't have the England won the world cup story
I've just seen it again, and she has a big smile on her face, doesn't look like someone who's been violated in front of millions

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2698 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:39 am

Can't wait to see all the usual apologists protesting on here.

Its absolutely fine for chaps in positions of power to enjoy a few perks.. Goosing a nice bint here and there..why not? Oh, and make sure it's in plain sight too so everyone can be impressed by your status.

Similar in many ways to Savile openly enjoying the odd grope with gullible teenage girls on TOTP... he had to be a bit more discreet with the handicapped kids at Stoke Mandeville mind you.
This user liked this post: AmbleClaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:51 am

He should be fired, without a pay off etc which is what he gets if he resigns
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Rick_Muller

AmbleClaret

Post by AmbleClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:51 am

bumba wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:58 am
Christ,the state of this. Surprised you didn't mention her tight shorts.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:53 am

It's not just this, is it. The misogyny on here is rampant - it's like they've never had daughters, sisters, nieces, female cousins or indeed wives, mothers or grandmothers. One thing though, it's not a good look. In fact, it's deeply creepy.
These 4 users liked this post: RVclaret ksrclaret Greenmile Cooclaret

AmbleClaret

Post by AmbleClaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:56 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:38 am
I've just seen it again, and she has a big smile on her face, doesn't look like someone who's been violated in front of millions
She'd just won the World Cup,what did you expect her to do,punch him ?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:00 am

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:27 am
So far we’ve had:

Was she pretty? (Ugh)
Is it any worse than if he’d kissed a dude, (yes, though you’d argue that if the dude wasn’t consenting then neither scenario is great)
At least it was in front of the cameras and not down a dark alley or seedy nightclub (well… I guess…)
And, did she even complain (yes, very much so)

It’s about consent. It’s not much to ask that women can go around without worrying about being grabbed and kissed by people they don’t want to in situations they don’t want. Or anyone for that matter.

Come on lads. It isn’t that difficult to be a better than that.
I'm surprised we haven't had "she was asking for it, parading round in little shorts" yet.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:04 am

AmbleClaret wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:56 am
She'd just won the World Cup,what did you expect her to do,punch him ?
Maybe have a look of shock? Disgust? But no she had a great big smile, which continues as she walks away and kisses the cup.

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:06 am

It really doesnt surprise me that there are people on here in denial of this, it does surprise me that nobody is jumping up & down shouting ‘woke’ though.

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:16 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:53 am
It's not just this, is it. The misogyny on here is rampant - it's like they've never had daughters, sisters, nieces, female cousins or indeed wives, mothers or grandmothers. One thing though, it's not a good look. In fact, it's deeply creepy.
If somebody kissed one of my female relatives in that moment on sheer joy then it wouldn't change my opinion that people are blowing it out of proportion

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:17 am

AmbleClaret wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:51 am
Christ,the state of this. Surprised you didn't mention her tight shorts.
Never noticed the shorts, so your saying he's in the wrong whilst you've clearly been perving? 😂

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:18 am

Stproc wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:06 am
It really doesnt surprise me that there are people on here in denial of this, it does surprise me that nobody is jumping up & down shouting ‘woke’ though.
What people think of this incident on this message board is of little or no consequence when the Spanish FA and their President are in denial of the player’s version of events and have now started legal proceedings.
Maybe there are more facts to emerge over this incident.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:22 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:18 am
What people think of this incident on this message board is of little or no consequence when the Spanish FA and their President are in denial of the player’s version of events and have now started legal proceedings.
Maybe there are more facts to emerge over this incident.
I'm not quite sure what else there is to emerge, it was in front of a global TV audience. Maybe she whispered "give it to me, big boy" which no-one has noticed.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:22 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
This post, however 🤢

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:23 am

She seemed happy enough afterwards.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:23 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:04 am
Maybe have a look of shock? Disgust? But no she had a great big smile, which continues as she walks away and kisses the cup.
I don’t know if you’re deliberately trying to wind me up but you’re doing a good job

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:27 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:23 am
I don’t know if you’re deliberately trying to wind me up but you’re doing a good job
Probably says more about you than me, but enjoy your day, I try not to wind you up

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:31 am

Personally , I can see it was a heat of the moment thing they had just won the World Cup, like after scoring a goal he was ecstatic , buzzing,high on victory and happy for the tea. Do I think they was anything sexual or anything sinister in what he did , no I don't. Taking into account the latin ways and passion for the game I genuinely think he is innocent. However we live in a strange world ruled by woke rules, too afraid to say the wrong thing, what he did will be hijacked by every feminist group wanting blood. In today's society he won't get away with it and he will be cancelled. I wouldn't get away with it at work and wouldn't even try to do it but I haven't won the World Cup.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 am

The misogyny and sheer dislike of women from some posters is quite eye-opening. It’s not their fault you are a smelly, unattractive man with a crap personality, they don’t owe you their affection.
This user liked this post: Cooclaret