Clarets v Villa Match Thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Re: Clarets v Villa Match Thread

Post by Anthonini » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Commy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:00 pm
I am quite happy with the way we have played, especially second half. You have to take into account the level of opposition and the teams that are going to be round us won't have the pace and power Villa have up top. We have plenty of room for improvement with both players and manager. Have to give it time for these players to gel and Vinny to sort out his team and tactics. I wonder if he sometime overthinks things due to the depth he looks into the opposition.

Seeing the difference in quality with the players we did well as a team. Nothing to be ashamed of. Even their benchwarmers would be our absolute key players. We could pressure them and had our chances to hurt them. At this level we got to be more efficient.

Also I liked Delcroix's first performance with some crucial interceptions. Looked like he's been playing there for years. For the price we paid for him he's a bargain. Fits in the team perfectly.

What can you do vs players like that Diaby dude... Just too good. Unplayable.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:10 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:07 pm
To say you are someone who started a thread criticising ‘boo boys’ last season I think its fair to say that seems a bit hypocritical now.
He’s a plank that swings his opinion based on what will a) be the most controversial b) entertainment

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:11 pm

Trafford absolutely abysmal for the first goal and the third didn't look to have any pace on it from where I were sat but could be wrong on that one.

Berge isn't a good player and looks like a cart horse unfortunately.

Foster looks a class act, as does amoudini and the number 30. No idea what his name is.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:11 pm

Where have all the foster haters gone? Clear man of the match. Gonna be a top player
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm

Our season will not be defined by these first two games. Our players and most importantly our leader will not allow that to happen. We’ve just got to get through this difficult spell whilst the players gel and we play the better teams in the league. I am extremely confident we will be looking up rather than down the table at the start of 2024.
These 4 users liked this post: Cooclaret Pickles RVclaret cockneyclaret

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm

People need to lower their expectations. We aren't going to turn up and roll over teams like Villa with so many new players in the team. People moaned about the age of our team under Dyche and now they are moaning that inexperienced players don't look up to scratch. They are good players and will learn and improve but we have to give them time. The defence were under pressure because the midfield didn't do their job but they were up against extremely good players. Al-Dakhil has the tools to go all the way to the top but he is only 21 and, other than 2 caps for Belgium, hasn't played at this level but he was being swamped with their fast breaks. They absolutely battered Everton last week so at least we put up a bit of a fight and had them rattled at the start of the second half. Their manager looked worried so we must have been doing something right.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Foshiznik chekhov

Greekclaret
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Greekclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:13 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:09 pm
You’re a wet wipe!

What evidence are you even basing that ridiculous statement on
Brilliant use of words there, wet wipe, how insulting.

Not sure why you’ve commented, the above post wasn’t aimed at you or in response to you. Strange.

Was in response to another user who was saying I was whining for saying Delcroix was poor, which I thought he was especially in the first half.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:13 pm

Commy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm
People need to lower their expectations. We aren't going to turn up and roll over teams like Villa with so many new players in the team.
There's not a Burnley fan on the planet expecting that.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:14 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:11 pm
Where have all the foster haters gone? Clear man of the match. Gonna be a top player
Very few people on here hated Foster. In fact I can only think of one poster. The overwhelming majority knew he needed time.

Commy

Post by Commy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:15 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:11 pm
Trafford absolutely abysmal for the first goal and the third didn't look to have any pace on it from where I were sat but could be wrong on that one.

Berge isn't a good player and looks like a cart horse unfortunately.

Foster looks a class act, as does amoudini and the number 30. No idea what his name is.
Koleosho. Only 18 and he looks like a star in the making. I think this was only his second professional match and he did cause them problems in the second half. Loads of room for him to improve.
These 3 users liked this post: chekhov Cooclaret Foshiznik

Commy

Post by Commy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Pickles wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:13 pm
There's not a Burnley fan on the planet expecting that.
There is if you listen to some of the whingers on here.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:00 pm
Here for the overreactions. Good that Pickles and Greekclaret have kicked things off nicely.
You could have added Coolclaret too!

Twistedbyknaves
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Twistedbyknaves » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm

Villa a very good side.
I can’t understand though how we ended up with our only fullback in Roberts effectively playing in midfield for large parts of the second half, while cork and brownhill don’t get a look in.

Pleased to see Foster bag one. I think we are being a little too quick to sideline the experienced players in order to play those who can increase in value though. I appreciate the business case but we still need to compete. Youth is good when combined with experience.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:14 pm
Very few people on here hated Foster. In fact I can only think of one poster. The overwhelming majority knew he needed time.
Tell you what Foster has looked pretty sharp in the 2 games this season and that was a top notch goal today.

He is a good one.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:17 pm

That was a wake up call and emphasised the concern that we are a bit soft centred.

Anyone who thinks we aren't likely to be in the scrap at the bottom of the table needs to have a rethink. And we need to adapt our strategy to ensure it is compatible with being inferior to 70% of the teams we play.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:17 pm

Foster was good today, as was Koleosho. I thought Gudmundsson did well when he was introduced, too.

Our centre of midfield looks miles off the pace so far and defence looks suspect as well. I hope Delcroix isn’t being made a scapegoat. He’s a centre half on his debut being asked to play left back. I actually thought he did OK and wasn’t the worst of our defenders.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret mkmel MeeActon1

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:18 pm

There was a lot to take heart from in that performance.

Commy

Post by Commy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:18 pm

Twistedbyknaves wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm
Villa a very good side.
I can’t understand though how we ended up with our only fullback in Roberts effectively playing in midfield for large parts of the second half, while cork and brownhill don’t get a look in.

Pleased to see Foster bag one. I think we are being a little too quick to sideline the experienced players in order to play those who can increase in value though. I appreciate the business case but we still need to compete. Youth is good when combined with experience.
That's why I think we should start with Redmond and bring Koleosho on later. Redmond would give us a bit more protection defensively as well. Koleosho is some talent though.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Lost against a better team today

Couldn't help thinking that Josh Brownhill's experience could have added something to our play today.

Is he carrying a slight injury? Ever present last season, not visible as yet this season

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm
Tell you what Foster has looked pretty sharp in the 2 games this season and that was a top notch goal today.

He is a good one.
Right on cue.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:21 pm

When I saw our starting line up I was immediately concerned.....an extremely young, inexpierienced lineup which simply didn't looked balanced. No natural left back (I would have Taylor there), lacking power and balance in midfield, strikers not getting great service. Improved in second half, but still naive defending for their third. I would have Jayrod , Brownhill, JBG starting against Forest.
There were some promising performances but the manager snd the team need to wise up quickly.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:21 pm

Greekclaret wrote:

Not sure why you’ve commented, the above post wasn’t aimed at you or in response to you. Strange.

Was in response to another user who was saying I was whining for saying Delcroix was poor, which I thought he was especially in the first half.
What did he(Delcroix) do wrong then? Thinking about it he played a solid game. Could have had an assist on Rodriguez even. Some crucial interceptions. Good on the ball and good running and positioning off the ball. Little to blame in the goals conceded. Did quite well to try and intercept the pass on the second goal but it bounces over his leg. First goal I don't know how he could have defended that.
These 4 users liked this post: mkmel Foshiznik cockneyclaret Taffy on the wing

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:22 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:07 pm
To say you are someone who started a thread criticising ‘boo boys’ last season I think its fair to say that seems a bit hypocritical now.
Bit different- last year was a complete overhaul and change it playing style and some of the early games in the season you could see what we’re trying to do and that it’d come good.

We’ve known that we’re gonna be playing top flight football since March/April time

We’re less than a week away from the window closing, spaffed 100 mill there or there abouts and look toothless with players being played out of position all over the pitch.

There has been no encouraging signs from today other than Foster
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Twistedbyknaves
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Twistedbyknaves » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:23 pm

I totally agree Commy. I also think Benny looked poor and didn’t offer enough when we didn’t have the ball.

It’s early days and they are developing so I’d like to see the pressure eased on some of the youngsters by having a little balance of youth and experience. I think there’s probably a touch of naivety from VK as well and he will also be learning. I know he has experience of the Prem as a player but not as a manager.

I didn’t expect us to get any points from the first few games so not too disappointed at this stage.

*edit to make it clear who I was agreeing with.
Last edited by Twistedbyknaves on Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Greekclaret wrote:

It’s well deserved when you come on and hammer a player on debut in the best league in the world.

You need to go and have a little sit down and contemplate why you support the club.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:26 pm

I see parallels with Villa's first season after they won promotion. They won promotion with a team including some really strong loan players and so they had to make a lot of signings that summer.

They bought in a lot of young players with potential and as a result really struggled that first season and only just stayed up. The second season saw those players start to realise that potential and become a comfortable mid table team and they've barely looked back since.

We have a great manager, a good strategy and by the looks of it some real potential but this season is going to be tough and will require a lot of trust and patience from the fans.
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies Twistedbyknaves JohnDearyMe GaryClaret

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:26 pm

ervi34 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:31 pm
Koleosho obviously has so much potential but should be nowhere near our starting lineup.
Thought he did really well .

Greekclaret

Post by Greekclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:26 pm

Anthonini wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:21 pm
What did he(Delcroix) do wrong then? Thinking about it he played a solid game. Could have had an assist on Rodriguez even. Some crucial interceptions. Good on the ball and good running and positioning off the ball. Little to blame in the goals conceded. Did quite well to try and intercept the pass on the second goal but it bounces over his leg. First goal I don't know how he could have defended that.
Worth noting I posted the comment either late first half or early 2nd. He was poor at LB.

You can all jump on what I said all you want but the fact Vinny swapped the entire defence around to put him in the centre so he wasn’t being exposed at LB speaks volumes. He got slightly better playing in his natural position but along with AAD he was in my opinion, poor.

I’m allowed an opinion, you don’t agree with it, cool.

Greekclaret

Post by Greekclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:29 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:24 pm
It’s well deserved when you come on and hammer a player on debut in the best league in the world.

You need to go and have a little sit down and contemplate why you support the club.
You haven’t quite understood that I was being sarcastic with the ‘insulting’ comment have you? Bless!

Funny how I’ve seen people slaying Kolo yet you aren’t jumping at them?

Best league in the world, not the best team in the world.

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:30 pm

Greekclaret wrote:

You didn't just say he was poor and left it at that,you had to post a derogatory remark that he should never be seen near the team again.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:30 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:22 pm
There has been no encouraging signs from today other than Foster
I just can’t agree with that. Created enough openings to score a good few (as did Villa of course) through some really nice bits of football. Sure there are some big learning curves for a few players (and manager tactically) but it’s fair to say playing City, Villa, Spurs and United in the first 5 is a real baptism of fire. I wonder how these performances would have looked vs Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham, Everton, Forest etc etc, probably have got a result at least.
This user liked this post: Twistedbyknaves

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Don’t know why anyone in the coaching staff thought delcroix is a better LB than Taylor. He was much better at cb

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2922 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:32 pm

They just put two onto Benny everytime he picked it up out wide and he left us exposed defensively a few times. Roberts wasn't happy with him at all.

I thought Berge did okay, but the role he is playing was too similar to Cullen and he looked better when pushed further forward second half.

Defense as a whole showed the lack of experience and to be fair to Villa they were absolutely clinical with those counters.

Koleosho came out second half really firing and he looks so dangerous when he runs at players. That said Brun Larsen looks more composed and experienced int hat position.

Foster did a lot of defensive work first half and did well with the goal.

Overall some positives, but we definitely lacked strength and experience.
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies Twistedbyknaves cockneyclaret Stalbansclaret

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:32 pm

We got spoilt last season with the wins, forgot how negative it gets on here with a defeats...

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:33 pm

Easy with hindsight but with them only playing Watkins up front and support coming from all angles a 3-5-2 might have been preferable to the 4-4-2 we went with.
No shame in losing to a very good team and until the offside goal clinched it we were well involved.
Better days to come.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:33 pm

Need a left back desperately. Centre back playing LB first half and a right back playing left back second half with a centre back at right back. Centre backs all look small and weak. Missed Bayer badly.

Played 4 up front all game with Berg also trying to join in as a 5th and kept getting in the way. Obviously needed a 3rd midfielder today and amazed Company didn't see that.

Defense is much worse than last season. In fact the team looks worse overall. They need time but look like too many out of their depth so far. Spent a lot of money to go backwards.

Don't understand why he has changed the starting 11 so drastically. We had two regular starters from last season in the starting 11. No cohesion.

Will be a long season if we don't sign a couple more players and improve drastically.
These 4 users liked this post: Twistedbyknaves Wo Didi CoolClaret forzagranata

Commy

Post by Commy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:35 pm

Greekclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:26 pm
Worth noting I posted the comment either late first half or early 2nd. He was poor at LB.

You can all jump on what I said all you want but the fact Vinny swapped the entire defence around to put him in the centre so he wasn’t being exposed at LB speaks volumes. He got slightly better playing in his natural position but along with AAD he was in my opinion, poor.

I’m allowed an opinion, you don’t agree with it, cool.
Maybe they were poor because they weren't getting any protection from the midfield. They were being constantly overrun with the quick breaks. Once they were through our midfield our defence were struggling to contain them with their pace. The other option is to sit back and hit them on the break but people would moan if we did that and then let goals in. We need to find the right balance which, in the Premier League, isn't easy.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:37 pm

I know we’ve only played 2 games but the physicality of the opposition stands out a mile ,I thought O’Shea ,Koliosho ,Foster all had excellent games ,as previously stated Berge is so slow ,and easily knocked off the ball,a lack of experience was a big problem today, especially ,I thought Roberts was like he was early last season,and wasn’t sure where he was playing,
I would play a similar team next week ,but Muric has to start ,along with Gudmundsson,and Larsen.

Greekclaret

Post by Greekclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:38 pm

Commy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:35 pm
Maybe they were poor because they weren't getting any protection from the midfield. They were being constantly overrun with the quick breaks. Once they were through our midfield our defence were struggling to contain them with their pace. The other option is to sit back and hit them on the break but people would moan if we did that and then let goals in. We need to find the right balance which, in the Premier League, isn't easy.
I’d agree with that, wasn’t helped by playing a 4-2-4 formation. Left everyone exposed on the counter
This user liked this post: Flat Stanley

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:44 pm

It's obvious that Kompany's approach at this level is going to be different to Dyche's. We are going to have to accept that an attempt to go out, win games and try to dominate is going to see us on the wrong side of some results some of them will be heavy. It's about whether we can win enough games playing this style of play to succeed

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:44 pm

Good lesson I think, certainly some positives. A new team against an experienced quality Pl outfit. Still think we need two or three of real quality.

The back five needs looking at, we need a consistent settled back five, one game it’s a back six then a back 5. All this jumbling of the defence needs sorting, we’ve only played two games and Al Dakhil has played three or four different positions in the team.
Last edited by KRBFC on Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:44 pm

Don’t think anybody deserves criticism today,Villa are a very good side and go forward at pace.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:45 pm

I haven't read the rest of the thread, multiple opinions about the game.

We are far too open and the central midfield two aren't mobile enough to cover the vast spaces around them. It was far too easy for Villa to pick out the front two with balls into feet, which in turn they gave us little or no opportunity to do the same.

We need someone to shield the back four and in turn cover us when we turn the ball over up the field.

A busy week ahead but no need to panic, Villa are going to be a solid bet for the top six and have a team which have gelled together since Emery took charge.
These 3 users liked this post: Pickles longsidepies Taffy on the wing

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:46 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:30 pm
I just can’t agree with that. Created enough openings to score a good few (as did Villa of course) through some really nice bits of football. Sure there are some big learning curves for a few players (and manager tactically) but it’s fair to say playing City, Villa, Spurs and United in the first 5 is a real baptism of fire. I wonder how these performances would have looked vs Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham, Everton, Forest etc etc, probably have got a result at least.
Men against boys mate.

0.69 xG vs 2.44 for Villa

Plucky half chances are just, plucky half chances.

They tore us to pieces on the counter, completely diced out midfield, dragged our defenders all over the place and scored some classic counter attacking goals.
This user liked this post: Pickles

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:47 pm

Don’t think I there is any point us signing a number 9 without having a proper number 10 behind them, Amdouni has good potential but he’s not a number 10

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:49 pm

Also for how Ekdal gets called slow, delcroix didn’t look any quicker

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:50 pm

Commy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:18 pm
That's why I think we should start with Redmond and bring Koleosho on later. Redmond would give us a bit more protection defensively as well. Koleosho is some talent though.
Redmond looked extremely poor to me.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:50 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:24 pm

If Villa are top 6, thats worrying. Means 12 matches out of 38 we wont get points in

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:50 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:17 pm
That was a wake up call and emphasised the concern that we are a bit soft centred.

Anyone who thinks we aren't likely to be in the scrap at the bottom of the table needs to have a rethink. And we need to adapt our strategy to ensure it is compatible with being inferior to 70% of the teams we play.
Absolutely.

Both the recruitment and the team we put out today was naive. Lessons to be learned.

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:50 pm

I thought we looked very good for much of the game. Considering we’re only two games in with a substantially new starting 11, there’s a lot of promise there. Sure, we were sloppy in key moments defensively, and at times the shape and patterns felt forced, similar to the start of last season with the new players. But over time that will become more fluid and the players’ understanding of what is being asked of them as well as their understanding of each other will improve significantly. It’ll be 10 games in before we start clicking properly and hopefully VK can keep confidence high until the results come. But individually I saw good moments with all our players.
This user liked this post: longsidepies