Nottingham Forest v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Nottingham Forest v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:58 pm

Please leave ratings for all players who have played 20 mins or more.

Scoring is from 3 to 10 as follows:

10 - Out of this World
9 - Excellent
8 - Very Good
7 -Good
6 - Average
5 - Below Par
4 - Poor
3 - Abysmal

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Re: Nottingham Forest v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by CryerBFC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:09 pm

Muric - 9 - showed tonight why he should be number 1
Vitinho - 7 - unlucky to go off, his work rate was causing problems
O’Shea - 8 - excellent tonight, did well against a big lump in Chris Wood
Ekdal - 8 - unfortunate to go off, was playing well, so calm at the back
Taylor - 9 MOM - thought he was brilliant tonight, deserves a chance in the league
Brownhill - 8 - great work rate, excellent game management in taking Elanga out on the counter
Ramsey - 7 - another unlucky to go off, was involved in the little tricky bits round the edge of the box
JBG - 8 - hugged the right tough line Zaroury’esque, did well and beat his man numerous times
Redmond - 8 - grew into the game and had a few great runs early in second half
JBL - 8 - some excellent runs off his side and across the line, unlucky with a couple of chances in second half
Rodriguez - 6 - didn’t do much for me tonight, looked a lot more threatening the 10-15 mins that Foster played instead of 80ish of Jay.

Al Dakhil - 7 - starting in RB role gave a 6 but when moved to CB after Ekdals injury more of an 8.
Cullen - 8 - more like Cullen of last season, moving the ball quickly, protecting it well when needed to.
Berge - 7 - (+1 for this run in build up to goal) still would like to see him win more duels.
Odobert - 7
Amdouni - 8
Foster - 7

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:09 pm
Muric - 9 - showed tonight why he should be number 1
Vitinho - 7 - unlucky to go off, his work rate was causing problems
O’Shea - 8 - excellent tonight, did well against a big lump in Chris Wood
Ekdal - 8 - unfortunate to go off, was playing well, so calm at the back
Taylor - 9 MOM - thought he was brilliant tonight, deserves a chance in the league
Brownhill - 8 - great work rate, excellent game management in taking Elanga out on the counter
Ramsey - 7 - another unlucky to go off, was involved in the little tricky bits round the edge of the box
JBG - 8 - hugged the right tough line Zaroury’esque, did well and beat his man numerous times
Redmond - 8 - grew into the game and had a few great runs early in second half
JBL - 8 - some excellent runs off his side and across the line, unlucky with a couple of chances in second half
Rodriguez - 6 - didn’t do much for me tonight, looked a lot more threatening the 10-15 mins that Foster played instead of 80ish of Jay.

Al Dakhil - 7 - starting in RB role gave a 6 but when moved to CB after Ekdals injury more of an 8.
Cullen - 8 - more like Cullen of last season, moving the ball quickly, protecting it well when needed to.
Berge - 7 - (+1 for this run in build up to goal) still would like to see him win more duels.
Odobert - 7
Amdouni - 8
Foster - 7
How many saves did muric make to earn a 9?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:48 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 am
Did Forrest even have a shot on target?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:50 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:48 am
Did Forrest even have a shot on target?
Just checked they didn’t have a shot on target and there was only 3 corners he had to deal with.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:52 am

Trafford - 3 Didn't make a save or catch a cross all night
These 3 users liked this post: Greenmile fidelcastro Jellybean

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 am
If you went you will know why Muric has been scored a 9 without making a meaningful save. His distribution was absolutely outstanding and integral to how well we played last night.

I haven’t done my scores yet (just woke up after getting back just before 2am) but I think I will probby score Muric similar. Probably even MOM.
These 3 users liked this post: burnleymik Burnley1989 KateR

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 am

Agree with Muric performance. When you have got a keeper that’s a quarterback like it’s very difficult for teams to press us. Part of the reason we didn’t concede a shot on goal is they struggled to get a hold of the game.

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:21 am

To start with, I’m sure this post is one where each poster gets to give their opinion on how they feel the game went. As per my scores.

I also didn’t realise a keeper must make 10+ saves to get a high score. One of the main reasons he didn’t have a shot to save, is because of how good he was when we were in possession.

In regards to their corners, 3 I think someone quoted? Well done you can read a stat sheet. Don’t worry about the crosses in a game, the sweeping up he did behind the back 4, and the distribution.

I could go on but feel like it would go on deaf ears.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:34 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:21 am
To start with, I’m sure this post is one where each poster gets to give their opinion on how they feel the game went. As per my scores.

I also didn’t realise a keeper must make 10+ saves to get a high score. One of the main reasons he didn’t have a shot to save, is because of how good he was when we were in possession.

In regards to their corners, 3 I think someone quoted? Well done you can read a stat sheet. Don’t worry about the crosses in a game, the sweeping up he did behind the back 4, and the distribution.

I could go on but feel like it would go on deaf ears.
It sounds like a bit of a biased opinion. I wasn’t at the game but the bbc commentators said both keepers were bystanders and that it was an incredibly poor game.

That fact there were next to no corners and no shots on goal suggests that in fact both keepers had very little to do.

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:37 am

The fact you weren’t there is all I need to know.
These 2 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Jakubs Tash

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:37 am
You don’t need to be there to know that is a biased score and marking to get your opinion across on a player

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 am

Lol.
Attachments
20230831_084244.jpg
20230831_084244.jpg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 6345 times

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:44 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 am
Lol.
:D :D

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:48 am

Lots of people defending Newcastle/calling out bullying of him in recent days and there may be some truth in that.

However, he’s on a thread here questioning the ratings of people who attended a football match, whilst also admitting he’s only got a BBC match report to go off. Really doesn’t help himself.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:49 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:37 am
Being there is no substitute for looking at the stats and listening to occasional reports from a bbc reporter my friend.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile ChrisG

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:54 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 am
You don’t need to be there to know that is a biased score and marking to get your opinion across on a player
Ok mate. As previously mentioned, I could go on. Like saying he probably had as many touches as any other Burnley player in the first half.

I’ll even go as far to say, his starting position and braveness probably prevents Watkins assisting Cash for the first goal on Sunday but that games dead and gone.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:03 am

Muric 9 - Outstanding calmness and distribution which helped to retain possession and also helped us to start attacking moves off. This is an area where I think Muric is still the best as things stand and it’s so important to how we play.

Vitinho 7 - busy and tidy and played his part in us using the right flank well in the half hour he was on.
Ekdal 8 - good defender. Good footballer. Very calm. I hope the injury isn’t a bad one.
O’Shea 9 - great all round defensive display - headers, tackles, blocks and good on the ball.
Taylor 8 - excellent defensively and played very well. Good to see.

Brownhill 8 - very good first 20/30 mins as he was very involved and gave us good energy. Also handy that he could move to right back and play equally well. Good shift (and necessary booking).
Ramsey 7 - looked very bright. Although slight in build his footballing ability and athleticism looked on point. Moves like a footballer.
Redmond 7 - seemed to grow into the game and was a threat. Always looking to commit the opposition and make things happen. Looks like he’ll be quite handy playing a bit more centrally.

JBG 7 - played the full game and put a very good performance in. Never really looked like beating his man but his passing was crisp and he brought others into the game well and held
That side of the pitch so we could keep our shape when in possession.
JBL 7 - very encouraging. Another who just moves like a footballer. Looks a technically gifted player who isn’t short of a yard of pace.
Rodriguez 6 - linked the play up well at times but just lacks that pace to run in behind. Unfortunately we looked a better team when he went off.

Al Dakhil 8 - seamlessly slipped into right full back then centre half. Defended very well and shifted the ball around with a calm head and intent.
Berge 8 - played well further forward. Good in possession and we saw the strength he possesses with that surging run for the goal where he shrugged a couple off and drove at them. Will do his confidence good.
Cullen 8 - did what Cullen does. Got stuck in, tidied up and helped us to tick over.

Amdouni, Foster and Odobert not on long enough to score but all very bright and had a big impact on the game.
These 2 users liked this post: CleggHall CryerBFC

SirBob
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by SirBob » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:46 am

Missed the game last night as I was in work! Some excellent scores on the player ratings, how did we play on the whole? BBC report made it sound like a terrible game and all I’ve heard off a Man United supporter friend is how awful we are and nailed on to go down from what he’s seen.

Are we feeling more confident after this game?

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:11 am

SirBob wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:46 am
Missed the game last night as I was in work! Some excellent scores on the player ratings, how did we play on the whole? BBC report made it sound like a terrible game and all I’ve heard off a Man United supporter friend is how awful we are and nailed on to go down from what he’s seen.

Are we feeling more confident after this game?
A great question, Bob.

I, too, was very concerned but having seen the high scores, I am feeling reassured. Certainly, Amdouni scored with a couple of good touches and composure. Foster is looking better than we ever imagined. We kept a clean sheet without the opposition even getting a shot on target. We played with the pace we have been lacking (and crying out for) for years.

In all seriousness, I know it wasn't their (or our) 1st team but it is always good to get your 1st competitive win of the season under your belt. I imagine we will finish somewhere similar to Forest come the end of the season.
This user liked this post: SirBob

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:12 am

MURIC 8-not much to do but his calmness and distribution were excellent
VITINHO 6, playing against a poor side but did OK
EKDAL 7, very composed and read things well
O'SHEA 8-our warrior on the night
TAYLOR 6-cant agree with some posters above. He looked ponderous, got caught in possession several times, and whilst he can defend he struggles to create anything in this team. Having said that we currently have no LB
BROWNHIL 8-a thoroughly industrious performance. He had a lot to do and played very well
RAMSEY 7-an exciting and intelligent player. Worked very hard and a good addition to our squad
LARSEN 6 -not seen him before but looked lightweight. Might have scored
JBG 6-struggled to beat his man and his right foot crossing was poor. One good ball to Jay Rod. Lacks pace for the PL
JAY 5-largely static.Little effort. Little challenging for high balls.Thought he was lacking service but when Foster came on he showed you go looking and chasing for the ball
REDMOND 7-he looked very bright and probing and two great bursts by him, but let down by his shooting

CULLEN 8-was brilliant when he came on. Kept our composure with his control of midfield
FOSTER 8-wow he has come on. Really started bullying their back two and chased everything down. Has got better since I saw him . A real power house
AMDOUIN 8 -our playmaker when he came on. Showed in 20 minutes we have a very talented No 10. Touches of Robbie Blake
ODEBART 6-looked overpowered by the occasion but he nearly scored a great game
BERGE 7-made a good contribution and looked calm and composed with a great driving run

Our subs tonight made a huge difference and helped make it an easy win

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:46 am

No ratings from me having only seen half of the game but I have some concerns for Trafford given the way the fans treated Muric last night, going over the top even when he just picked up the ball. Had Trafford dropped the ball in the box as Muric did a couple of times in the second half, he'd not have been afforded that.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:51 am

Concerns in what way?

The fans supporting a stand out performer from last season who was dropped - can’t see anything wrong with that.

Muric got abused by a lot of fans in the early part of last season but rose above it.

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:10 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:46 am
No ratings from me having only seen half of the game but I have some concerns for Trafford given the way the fans treated Muric last night, going over the top even when he just picked up the ball. Had Trafford dropped the ball in the box as Muric did a couple of times in the second half, he'd not have been afforded that.
Tony, please forgive me for questioning, but which drops are you referring to? The ones where he was fouled when claiming the ball, and subsequently the ref signalled play on as he reclaimed the ball a split second after? Or was it the one where it was fizzed at him, that he dropped, but then dropped on top of the ball to fully claim?

Granted I’d had a few pints but I don’t recall many issues with his play, barring 1 maybe 2 rushed passes.
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:17 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:10 am
Tony, please forgive me for questioning, but which drops are you referring to? The ones where he was fouled when claiming the ball, and subsequently the ref signalled play on as he reclaimed the ball a split second after? Or was it the one where it was fizzed at him, that he dropped, but then dropped on top of the ball to fully claim?

Granted I’d had a few pints but I don’t recall many issues with his play, barring 1 maybe 2 rushed passes.
I think for anyone giving him a nine he must have turned in one of the greatest goalkeeping performances ever in the first half. What I saw in the second were him giving the ball away at least twice with poor balls out and twice dropping the ball but recovering it. I just sensed it was all a bit anti-Trafford in the away end last night. Based on the second half, I'd have given him a six or possibly seven.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:19 am

All this ‘anti-Trafford’ and ‘anti-Berge’ talk is a bit over the top.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:20 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:17 am
I think for anyone giving him a nine he must have turned in one of the greatest goalkeeping performances ever in the first half. What I saw in the second were him giving the ball away at least twice with poor balls out and twice dropping the ball but recovering it. I just sensed it was all a bit anti-Trafford in the away end last night. Based on the second half, I'd have given him a six or possibly seven.
That’s a real shame to hear

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 am

So a guy going off BBC text and a guy who watched half a game criticising the markings of several people who watched the full game.

Peak UTC.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:50 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Its a very good point Tony-I sensed last night some sectors went over the top, and yes he dropped two fairly conventional balls and fortunate he could recover. Tough choice for VK on Saturday, personally I can see Muric starting as its almost like having an extra man at the back, ie a sweeper

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:03 pm

Traffords’s distribution on Sunday was really good. It has been every time I’ve seen him play.
Which is more than I can say for Muric at the start of last season but his decision making and when to go short and go long definitely improved a lot after the first couple of months.
Trafford ‘may’ have been partly at fault for the first goal on but he then went on to make some good saves.

To score any keeper 9 in a game where the opposition did not have a shot on target is strange to see the least. I don’t care how well he played with his feet this was not a game where he was the difference between us winning and losing.

Trafford is a young keeper and dropping him now makes no sense to me when we have invested so much in him and he is clearly so highly regarded by VK.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:06 pm

Maybe we have two good goalkeepers?
This user liked this post: GrahamBranchsPerm

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:09 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:06 pm
Maybe we have two good goalkeepers?
That would be a first…..
oh hang on !

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Well, it's all about opinions......

I like to think that I'm a level-headed poster. I try to be positive with my comments but also realistic. There is certainly no agenda against Trafford from me - I want him to be a huge success for us and I believe he will be. As my per my comments in my ratings, I appreciate that they have played against different opposition but right now I think Muric's distribution is at a better level than Trafford's and last night this was integral to how we retained possession and started moves.

I suppose you could liken it to Ashley Barnes (quite rightly) scoring a 9 in many poster's ratings at Norwich last season....but I don't think he had a shot all game.

I think the two times Muric 'dropped' the ball were when he came (and got) crosses - one of which he was fouled and the ref waved play on because he had the ball. I personally wouldn't class these as 'drops' myself. All the talk of anti-Trafford but comments like that actually just makes it sound a bit anti-Muric.

I think the away end were just enjoying the moment chanting Muric's name. I don't think it was anything other than that.

Like I say, opinions.

Sharbtastic
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Sharbtastic » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:15 pm

I don't usually post ratings, but since not many have and there seems to be a war going on thought I'd give it a go. I was also lucky enough to see the full game.

Muric 7 - No shots to save, dropped a couple of crosses but was fouled on both occasions and was first to the loose ball both times anyway. His distribution was very good bar one pass out of play and he regularly beat the first line of press. I think he adds an extra dimension to our style of play with the ball and I'd consider starting him on Saturday.

Vitinho 6 - Only on for the first half hour thought he was solid enough defensively and going forward.

Ekdal 7 - Solid defensively and good in possession. Also seems to be an organiser. Shame about his injury.

O’Shea 7 - Very good defensively but I thought he was poor in possession if I'm honest played a couple of daft balls and think he is more comfortable playing as the right sided centre half.

Taylor 6 - Defensively solid, but I thought in possession it showed exactly why he is rarely used as a left back gave the ball away plenty of times by playing a lofted ball down the line when there was no need.

Brownhill 8 - Thought he played really well in front of the defence then showed his versatility when slotting in as the inverted right back. Also good assist for the winner. A captains performance.

Ramsey 6 - Both him and Redmond did well finding the pockets of space between midfield and attack and they both just couldn't find that killer final pass or shot. Promising.

Redmond 7 - Same as Ramsey but he gets a 7 as once the game opened up more he was getting into the spaces a lot more and looking to run at defenders with the ball also some good link up play with Jay Rod.

JBG 7 - Thought he had a good game, despite his lack of pace still managed to beat his man on several occasions and was always available when needed in possession.

JBL 6 - Made some good attacking runs in behind the defence just the final execution of the shot let him down on a couple of occasions.

Rodriguez 6 - Some good link play but didn't really seem to get in the game too much in positions where he could threaten the goal.

Al Dakhil 7 - Good both defensively and in possession.

Cullen 7 - Typical Cullen performance helped us keep control of the game.

Berge 7 - Brilliant run leading up to the goal and neat and tidy for the rest of the game, If we can get him to pick up the ball in these areas and drive with it often will create space for our flair players.

Assuming Amdouni, Foster & Odobert weren't on long enough to receive ratings (although maybe that's something that should be looked at now games are regularly going over 100 minutes). All did well with Amdouni being the pick. If they were on long enough I'd give Amdouni 8, Foster 7, Odobert 6

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm

Muric deserves a 10 for that absolute peach of a ball to Larsen in the first half. Had a Salah or Messi made that it'd be talked about forever. Yes I was there

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
You didn’t even have to attend the game to know the posters marking Muric a 9 just have a pure agenda against Trafford.

A keeper that had to do literally nothing all game getting a nine is just ridiculous

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1078 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:26 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm
You didn’t even have to attend the game to know the posters marking Muric a 9 just have a pure agenda against Trafford.

A keeper that had to do literally nothing all game getting a nine is just ridiculous
If you was at the game you would of seen the way he plays, drawing in 2 or 3 player's to him because they think he's going to lose the ball, he then picks out Burnley player's with fantastic pin point accuracy, when he draws these player's in it makes space for the Burnley one's, this is why he receives high scores he doesn't have to make 5 world class saves to get 9 out of 10

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1078 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Trafford isn't Premier league ready, and to drop the keeper beaten in only 3 games all season is disrespectful IMHO

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm

He didn't have nothing to do. You would know that had you attended.

You have posted 5 comments on a player ratings thread about a game that you didn't attend or watch on a stream yet you are questioning the OPINIONS of people who did attend the game based on the BBC Sports App. That's just bizarre :lol:

You do know you don't have to comment on EVERY thread, don't you?
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:26 pm
If you was at the game you would of seen the way he plays, drawing in 2 or 3 player's to him because they think he's going to lose the ball, he then picks out Burnley player's with fantastic pin point accuracy, when he draws these player's in it makes space for the Burnley one's, this is why he receives high scores he doesn't have to make 5 world class saves to get 9 out of 10
Trafford does this too.
There is no way in a million years VK would have bought him if he couldn’t.
They are both very good at this but Trafford is obviously under a bit more pressure and scrutiny. He has also had to do this against 2 sides that are amongst the very best at pressing you whereas Muric last night for the most of the game had to do it against a Forest reserve side including a striker who is probably one of the least able in the league at being able to press a defence or keepers.
TBF to Muric he can only do what he can do based on who the opposition play against him so it’s criticism of him whatsoever - and his distribution is very good.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:42 pm

Not sure why I have to point this out but a keeper having ‘nothing to do all game’ can sometimes be because we’re restricting the opposition due to stuff like our shape/keeper positioning - the sort of stuff we did so well all last season when even opposite managers were commentating on how hard we were to play against because of our shape and Muric’s ability to step in almost as an extra defender.

You can’t quantify it, or that feeling of just being a bit more composed - it was obvious with the Benfica friendly, mind.

9 may be high it may be a bit of a pushback and it’s nothing against Traff, it’s more supporting Aro.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:45 pm

Muric - 9 - the rating criteria states 9 is excellent. I thought he had an excellent game. I believe he was a key reason we dictated play for large parts of the game. Handled set pieces and crosses well. No anti Trafford agenda. It's possible to support both keepers whenever they play. Though for what it's worth I thought Muric gave a timely reminder of what we miss when not playing him.

Vitinho - 6
Ekdal - 8
O'Shea - 8
Taylor - 7 - I still think he can improve in possession but I think he showed last night he can have a role in this team tucking in as a third centre back where the right wing back plays the more progressive Maatsen role if you will.

Brownhill - 8 - I'm ignoring the period of the game where he seemingly played right wing back and Forest looked very dangerous up against him. Think we changed it fairly quickly. Not Browny's fault that didn't go too well for him.

Ramsey - 6
Larsen - 7
JBG - 7
Redmond - 7
Rodriguez - 6

Cullen - 8
Foster - 7
Amdouni - 8
Odobert - 7
Berge - 8

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:46 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm
Trafford does this too.
There is no way in a million years VK would have bought him if he couldn’t.
They are both very good at this but Trafford is obviously under a bit more pressure and scrutiny. He has also had to do this against 2 sides that are amongst the very best at pressing you whereas Muric last night for the most of the game had to do it against a Forest reserve side including a striker who is probably one of the least able in the league at being able to press a defence or keepers.
TBF to Muric he can only do what he can do based on who the opposition play against him so it’s criticism of him whatsoever - and his distribution is very good.
You can’t honestly think that Trafford can pick a pass like Aro with that same power, speed and trajectory? Muric is exceptional at this, hard pressed to find better.

Not to mention that Villa rarely if ever pressed our keeper and back 3 deep

They sat pretty far off

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:49 pm

I don't think that there is an agenda against Trafford. However, I do think it will be right to question the wisdom of spending a very large % of our budget on him if we don't sort left back and cd midfield before Saturday.

It's nothing to do with Trafford and he needs our support as he will be playing on Saturday.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:46 pm
You can’t honestly think that Trafford can pick a pass like Aro with that same power, speed and trajectory? Muric is exceptional at this, hard pressed to find better.

Not to mention that Villa rarely if ever pressed our keeper and back 3 deep

They sat pretty far off
Ederson is a lot better…..wasn’t that difficult to find better was it ?

I haven’t said Trafford is better at this particular aspect than Muric but clearly he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and finding team mates under pressure. He demonstrated that in the under 20s comp and has so far when playing for us.

Why do you think our manager who has played for a club side and an international team with 2 of the best keepers in the world is picking Trafford before Muric ?
Even if Muric is better at distribution than Trafford he must think Trafford is pretty decent with his feet and presumably better at the other aspects of keeping than Muric. He’s seen both of them play a hell of a lot more than any of us.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:11 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 pm

I haven’t said Trafford is better at this particular aspect than Muric but clearly he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and finding team mates under pressure. He demonstrated that in the under 20s comp and has so far when playing for us.

Why do you think our manager who has played for a club side and an international team with 2 of the best keepers in the world is picking Trafford before Muric ?
Even if Muric is better at distribution than Trafford he must think Trafford is pretty decent with his feet and presumably better at the other aspects of keeping than Muric. He’s seen both of them play a hell of a lot more than any of us.
Ederson is the only one i have seen who is better than Muric distributing and Ederson is the best in the world by far at it.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:13 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 pm

I think Muric’s ping is almost comparable to Edersons. Are we in the market for a player like Ederson though? That’s kinda my point, the next up is sort of best in world football 😂

My honest guess:

I think Aro has a very relaxed attitude and demeanour which could give off the impression that he’s too relaxed and maybe rub someone who’s completely and utterly obsessed with the game (VK) the wrong way at times.

Some guys just turn it on, on match day.

I’m not into this sort of argument from authority about any and every possible debate re football - Gary Neville won countless silverware, captained his club and was an absolute mess as a manager (not suggesting that VK is before anyone uses that to flame me).

People can be wrong or stubborn or both! I’m wrong a lot…as is everyone!
This user liked this post: GrahamBranchsPerm

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:20 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:38 pm
He didn't have nothing to do. You would know that had you attended.

You have posted 5 comments on a player ratings thread about a game that you didn't attend or watch on a stream yet you are questioning the OPINIONS of people who did attend the game based on the BBC Sports App. That's just bizarre :lol:

You do know you don't have to comment on EVERY thread, don't you?
Man understands so little about football he could be a referee.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:23 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:20 pm
Man understands so little about football he could be a referee.
Haha love comments like this.

Expert football analysts like Quoonbeatz who believes a premier league winning player is incorrect and Trafford is not better than Muric.

I genuinely don’t even know why people are so hung about Muric. Ekdal was in our championship team yet O’Shea has walked in ahead of him and no one bats an eye lid.

Why don’t you just trust the managers judgement?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 518 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:34 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:23 pm
Haha love comments like this.

Expert football analysts like Quoonbeatz who believes a premier league winning player is incorrect and Trafford is not better than Muric.

I genuinely don’t even know why people are so hung about Muric. Ekdal was in our championship team yet O’Shea has walked in ahead of him and no one bats an eye lid.

Why don’t you just trust the managers judgement?
"Why don't you trust the managers judgement"

Ahhh, just like you've always done. *cough cough Brownhill isn't good enough for the Championship :roll:
This user liked this post: Greenmile