Notice of intended prosecution(scam?)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Notice of intended prosecution(scam?)

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Today my Mrs. Got a notice through from West Yorkshire police saying she been caught speeding in Todmorden on Saturday.Everything seemed legit we went on the website to check the photo although it was a bit blurred it looks like her car and number plate.The problem is we went out for the day in my car and hers was left all-day on the front street.We can't get in touch with police station by phone and trying on their website just directed me to London Met.She went down to seek advise at Padiham station who were no help at all and just told her to contact DVLA in case her plate was cloned.I was wondering if anyone on here has received anything like this and how you went about it.Personally I'm sure it's a scam but my Mrs.and her Daughter are worried in case it's a legit summons and going to cause her hassle

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Re: Notice of intended prosecution(scam?)

Post by GetIntoEm » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 pm

Post a pic?

Is there no contact details on the letter?

It's not unheard of to get fines off cloned plates. Where is it asking you to make payment?

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:55 pm

Did you say the photo was a bit blurred ?
Normally the pics are precise. The camera quality is superb and no mistakes can be made.

Ptangyangkipperbang

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 pm

The letter looks legit and asking to send the notice to prosecutions and casualty unit in Bradford

Ptangyangkipperbang

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:01 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:55 pm
Did you say the photo was a bit blurred ?
Normally the pics are precise. The camera quality is superb and no mistakes can be made.
Yes it's not 100% clear in the past I've been done and it's been clear and no mistake it was me driving.Thus picture just shows back of car

Exsus
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Exsus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:02 pm

If you never used the car that day how can it be legit?
The fact that you tried to contact the police by phone, email and in person is shocking and I had the same experience with an issue of antisocial behaviour in my neighborhood

Exsus

Post by Exsus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:03 pm

If you never used the car that day how can it be legit?
The fact that you tried to contact the police by phone, email and in person is shocking and I had the same experience with an issue of antisocial behaviour in my neighborhood

Exsus

Post by Exsus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:07 pm

Sorry posted twice 😕
I was well ****** off with the experience I had, I was made to feel like I was just being a nuisance.

Mayoclaret
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 517 times

Post by Mayoclaret » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 pm

You might try West Yorkshire Police 101 Live Chat on their website. May be of some use? Sounds like a scam to me but you need confirmation.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:16 pm

I got a genuine one over here from a cloned plate. Contacted them told them I’d not been near Donegal that day. She very politely asked for my reg., make, model and colour. On passing this info to her she immediately said that’s not the make we have on camera and I was clear.

JoStarling
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by JoStarling » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:23 pm

By coincidence I got a speeding notice driving back through Todmorden from the Man City game - A 646 Halifax rd. If it's a genuine notice from.WY Police it will have a phone number for the Prosecutions and Casually Prevention unit on the top of the letter. - 01274 020510. Suggest you call this number to ascertain if genuine. Meanwhile I have the joy of awaiting my 3rd Speed Awareness course - 4 hours of your life you'll never get back.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:28 pm

I've had a ticket from WY police recently. If you're happy to stick a photo of the letter on here (with all your personal details blanked out) I'll compare it to mine.

NorthIsCool
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by NorthIsCool » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:10 pm

JoStarling wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:23 pm
By coincidence I got a speeding notice driving back through Todmorden from the Man City game - A 646 Halifax rd. If it's a genuine notice from.WY Police it will have a phone number for the Prosecutions and Casually Prevention unit on the top of the letter. - 01274 020510. Suggest you call this number to ascertain if genuine. Meanwhile I have the joy of awaiting my 3rd Speed Awareness course - 4 hours of your life you'll never get back.
Another one who thinks those numbers in circles on signs are a target to reach and not a limit.

Speeding kills. Those people never get their lives back.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Stproc

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:22 pm

JoStarling wrote:
3rd speed awareness course 🤔.

(Taken from website)
3. How often can you take a speed awareness course?
Once you've attended a course, you won't be allowed to go to another one for 3 years. If you end up with another speeding offence, then you'll have to pay the fine and take the points. Your details will remain on a database if you've taken a course. As such, there's no way to get around it.

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:25 pm

The notice is more than likely legit. It sounds like your vehicle may have been cloned, which can be an absolute pain in the backside as you'll possibly have more of these notices and you may find your car getting stopped as well.

The first step is to notify West Yorkshire Police via the details on the notice that your wife's car didn't turn a wheel that day (make sure you're absolutely certain though). They will no doubt want you to report to Lancs Police that your vehicle has been cloned and Lancs Police will probably want you to report it to West Yorks to get the marker put on. Ultimately it doesn't matter who puts the marker on the vehicle as long as someone does it. The easiest way to report to Lancs is via https://doitonline.lancashire.police.uk/ - it saves waiting on the phone for ages and by having the incident reference, it helps WYP verify that you are genuine.

If your car has been cloned, try and make it distinctive by having something on the front and back that stands out, like a sticker or similar as the marker can reflect that.

The usual method is for the offenders to find a similar car for sale on the interweb and copy the reg from that. Your car isn't up for sale online is it?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:02 am

JoStarling wrote:
With your username you should fly.

MrEyres

Post by MrEyres » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 am

Let’s be honest people getting fined or caught for speeding is commonplace nowadays . It’s the reason why speed traps are so common in obscure positions …it’s about the brass. Road safety doesn’t come into it .. eg a new performance hyper wagon from one of the German manufacturers travelling at 38 mph will almost certainly stop more quickly than a high mileage nose heavy 2.0 tdi from the early 2000’s at 32 mph. Yet the car with the better brakes will get fined.
It’s nonsense and there’s no need for backbiting on this football forum unless somebody is travelling at warp speed. The indication is they weren’t as they were offered sac multiple times.
In regards to the original poster sounds like a scam , smells like a scam so probably is 1. I guess the worse case scenario is it goes to court and u pull out say a financial transaction at the time of the offence proving your Mrs was miles away etc and the police have to do some work to prosecute the actual person involved for fraud + no doubts a whole catalogue of motoring offences . Please do us all a favour and make sure the people in question are caught they effect our insurance premiums and taxes etc. Good luck and Cheers. 👍

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:46 am

Potentially a scam. However, if you are worried i would advise the following.

Try 101 again and report it. You will eventually get through.
Contact the DVLA and explain your plates are potentially cloned. If any further issues arise, they will have it registered now.
You should receive the NIP in the post. If this is the case respond to the allegation, denying it and provide evidence if you can. For example, proof you were not driving the car (any cctv on your street) that day and if possible proof that the photo with the NIP is not your car. Your car might have some different features. You have 28 days to respond to the NIP so you have plenty of time to find evidence if required.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:00 am

MrEyres wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 am
a new performance hyper wagon from one of the German manufacturers travelling at 38 mph will almost certainly stop more quickly than a high mileage nose heavy 2.0 tdi from the early 2000’s at 32 mph. Yet the car with the better brakes will get fined.
Brakes are only part of the equation, faster you're going the more ground you cover during the reaction phase. Let me guess, your reactions are pin sharp so you should be able to drive faster? 30 for a reason.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:32 am

Have a drink before you drive. It will help calm any nerves you may have.
Apparently.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:22 am

Do you have 'legal protection' on your car insurance?

Wouldn't they take all this stress off you?

Ptangyangkipperbang

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:15 am

Thank you for all replies we finally talked to some one at West yorks.police who was an absolute waste of time gave us an email address to contact which turned out was wrong I then googled it composed an email and can expect a response within 10 working days.And we still have to try and let the DVLA know again we can't get through

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:39 am

The DVLA can issue a new registration mark.

Web chat - https://contact.dvla.gov.uk/driving-licence?locale=en

Or call 0300 790 6802

I don’t know if you need some proof about it being cloned but obviously they can tell you

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:57 am

I had this a couple of years ago, except from gm police.

We managed to work out it was the wrong make and model, and I had a photo to prove I was 30 miles away.

I was a genuine letter, and it took ages to get in touch. I just kept emailing until they responded.

I can’t remember if the reg was the same, but it was quite clear that the car on the photos didn’t match the details for mine.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:01 am

MrEyres wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 am
Let’s be honest people getting fined or caught for speeding is commonplace nowadays . It’s the reason why speed traps are so common in obscure positions …it’s about the brass. Road safety doesn’t come into it .. eg a new performance hyper wagon from one of the German manufacturers travelling at 38 mph will almost certainly stop more quickly than a high mileage nose heavy 2.0 tdi from the early 2000’s at 32 mph. Yet the car with the better brakes will get fined.
It’s nonsense and there’s no need for backbiting on this football forum unless somebody is travelling at warp speed. The indication is they weren’t as they were offered sac multiple times.
In regards to the original poster sounds like a scam , smells like a scam so probably is 1. I guess the worse case scenario is it goes to court and u pull out say a financial transaction at the time of the offence proving your Mrs was miles away etc and the police have to do some work to prosecute the actual person involved for fraud + no doubts a whole catalogue of motoring offences . Please do us all a favour and make sure the people in question are caught they effect our insurance premiums and taxes etc. Good luck and Cheers. 👍
If you are really arguing that cars with better brakes should have a seperate speed limit, you really need to give your head a shake.

It's very simple, every road has a limit, you stick to that limit, and you never have a problem.

Claiming it's a scam to create fines is just plain daft, because even if you were right, they are so easily avoided.

Ptangyangkipperbang

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:45 am

Finally spoke to someone who helped although it still all has to be done via emails I have been assured not to worry and will receive documents. To say the car is ours in case we now get stopped in the future.She went on to add the person committing the offence will be caught at some point but I have to say I'm not sure that will happen

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:55 pm

I had one of my vans at work cloned. Same make and model and i picked it up when i went through my Congestion Charge account after receiving a PCN for the van when it was nowhere near the location. Fortunately my van is liveried and the vehicle with cloned plates was plain white so it was relatively simple to prove it wasn't my van. I had to report this to DVLA, TfL and the Met and i am guessing that the vehicle was identified as after a period of around a month the charges and PCNs suddenly stoppped.

MrEyres

Post by MrEyres » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:03 am

@stanbill05 . No reactions of a cat . Nor is there a dispute that u cover more ground the faster u are travelling before braking.

That’s common sense, thanks for highlighting although the knowledge is here already.

There is no dispute that it is 30 for a reason so didn’t need a reminder thanks.

The point was that it is a money making exercise a better example maybe speed traps on wide open roads with low limits whereby people creep. However low accident rates etc…

Personally have never identified a rsv somewhere necessary like outside a child’s school whereby it seems the posted number is a minimum despite ill planned calming measures. The dangers of speed are obvious here.

Maybe should have made that clearer and picked a better illustration, for that apologies.

However the tone of your response is true to form of an internet message board. I.e more confrontational than is necessary.

…….

Colburn_Claret - Fail to see where it is stated that higher performing cars get a different speed limit . Pls see above re response on the point being made.

Thanks for the advice no probs on any licences.

Appreciate your thoughts , far from daft but we are all entitled to an opinion, see explanation above .

If u feel speeding probs are easily avoidable maybe u could explain to the kind folks on here who maybe have points / sac’s under their name on how to avoid?

The stats say it’s likely not everyone has a clean licence on here with the number of members so I hope u can help them.

P.s how do you know how to reliably avoid getting caught by a speed trap for sure if u weren’t speeding ?

‘Every road has a limit’

UTC

MrEyres

Post by MrEyres » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:17 am

Colburn_Claret … we know the answer ‘don’t break the limit’.

However that didn’t appear to be your point in avoiding getting caught.

Hence my query?