All the sausages who thought we'd be in the top half

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: All the sausages who thought we'd be in the top half

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:59 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:55 pm
First half today, first half against City, first half of the second half v Villa… we were very competitive in all those periods. We didn’t deserve to be losing at HT today. Second half v Villa we score a 2nd if Diaby didn’t clinically find the bottom corner / Al-Dakhil took Digne down. So I disagree on your point on it being so uncompetitive. I’ve seen us barely have half a chance against many teams at this level for weeks on end. Today we had almost 2 xG against a very good team. In fact those periods I highlight are major positives and I’m exciting to see how we take on teams who aren’t the top 6 (albeit our fixture list has thrown up most of them all at once).
They were major positives but ultimately as we discussed in the matchday thread, the defence was all over the place and ultimately they looked like they were going to score whenever they broke.

Which ultimately they did.

The back line right now is as big as an issue as lack of goals were for Dyche in that last season.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:59 pm

I never thought we'd finish top half but I did hope that we'd have shown a little more, even against the opposition we've played.

We've shown that we can trouble bigger teams, but we've also shown that we can be carved open at pretty much any opportunity. I feel like we are treading a fine line, this team looks to have far more quality in some ways than a Dyche side ever had but we look in danger nearly every time a team attacks.

Kind of feel this is all about Kompany now, if he gets it right I think this team can compete at this level, but we haven't found the formula yet.

Jjjack
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by Jjjack » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:02 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:41 pm
I appreciate your viewpoint, and I think everyone appreciates that this is a longer term project.
that inc
However I do think fans have a right to show concern based on the first three games.

I would say they are arguably three of the most uncompetitive premier league games in row we have ever had.

From recruitment down to tactics, we have had a worst start than I think all of us anticipated.

I think questions about VKs safety are too early to question. However it did make me think today do fans think Pace will let us get relegated (worst case scenario) with VK still in charge?
Very interesting last point as that is what we spoke about in the pub today too regarding what does the club do in that eventuality. I think there has to be an air of realism about the club, if they want 15 games to bed in that's fine, but then they have to go and pick the elusive 40 points up in the last 23 games etc.

I am not dismissing fan concern, we have been rolled 3 times in a row and conceded some poor goals in all 3 games, the lessons are there for them to learn and with Forest away as our next game there is a lot to be said about going there and seeing the game out competitively, arguably coming home with at least a point. Seeing as we have United, Newcastle, and Chelsea after that I couldn't personally argue that with a bit of bad luck a team could end those games with 0 points and a mountain to climb.

Eventually the real questions will be asked. I am not worried as on now. Before we travel to Bournemouth I'd like to see 4 points on the board and then we have a good run up until Christmas to show what we are all about.

I feel that in the Championship we had the space to be negative, to shout about the bad balls and the bad shots but in the Premier League we don't have that space, we have to play 16 more games at Turf Moor this season and I don't want us to be a club where the players dread playing at home.

We need to play some teams that will be flirting with relegation to really put a marker on where we are at. I don't mind being rolled by the top 7 this season if we batter the bottom 7. I'm happy we weren't Luton's first Premier League home game, but I also think it was a missed opportunity for us to play a team around us - and it's a long slog to Bournemouth away where I feel we should be adding to points tally from there on out.

We all have a long season ahead of us.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2055 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:04 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:55 pm
. We didn’t deserve to be losing at HT today.
We did sadly because we were weak and sloppy at a pivotal moment

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:18 pm
You’re still nothing but negative about this team? you were the complete opposite under Dyche, what’s happened?
This comment was about people on here writing off the first three results. As for the team, I've been very impressed with players like Foster who I think will get into double figures.

JMU81
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by JMU81 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:40 pm

Good reading this back......how many still hoping for that top half finish? Imo I think we are down this season but I hope I'm wrong. Still want to stick with VK he's young and he will learn a lot from this season. Utc

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 pm

I don’t know why I keep coming back to this thread because it’s driving me up the walls.
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:22 am

I always estimate our total points after 19 games i.e. after the Liverpool game on Boxing Day so will reserve judgement until then.
However, my 100 euro bet with my German friend that we would finish in the Top ten is looking slightly forlorn - it should buy him a few Bratwurst, Currywurst, etc. :shock: :shock:

JMU81

Post by JMU81 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:05 pm

I'm still hoping we can turn it around, but will be very hard after this start. Like I said before though we should stick with VK he's on a long term deal, he is a big name that has some pulling power to get players in. He's obviously made mistakes in the transfer window but he will learn from it. If we go down we go again next season with the young squad who will have also learned a lot from this season. Up the clarets

JMU81

Post by JMU81 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:09 pm

Ps keep on sniffing those sausage rolls........or if you're feeling brave try a Greggs festive bake 👃😁

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:11 pm

JMU81 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:05 pm
I'm still hoping we can turn it around, but will be very hard after this start. Like I said before though we should stick with VK he's on a long term deal, he is a big name that has some pulling power to get players in. He's obviously made mistakes in the transfer window but he will learn from it. If we go down we go again next season with the young squad who will have also learned a lot from this season. Up the clarets
If we go down it will be another huge turnover of players I imagine so what they’ve learned this season many of them will take it elsewhere.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:11 pm
If we go down it will be another huge turnover of players I imagine so what they’ve learned this season many of them will take it elsewhere.
Why will it be another huge turnover of players?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:22 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm
It only will be if the club decide it to be, or silly money is offered for those on long contracts, which I doubt it will be

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:24 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm
That’s how this club is now? They will be looking to sell players as they did last time we went down. These young players haven’t been signed for longevity, they’ve been signed to try and make money. Wouldn’t surprise me to see sales in Jan if profits can be made.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:28 pm

We could still string a few wins together and prove we’re not the wurst :lol:

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:24 pm
That’s how this club is now? They will be looking to sell players as they did last time we went down. These young players haven’t been signed for longevity, they’ve been signed to try and make money. Wouldn’t surprise me to see sales in Jan if profits can be made.
While true im not sure it is about a constant high turnover of players. Those last two windows have been done for specific reasons. First summer as we had half a squad, second summer cause we lost 4 loanees + Barnes + Cork’s age and needed to step up a (big) level.

Of course they want to make money but as things stand, I fail to see many they’d make money on, which defeats the purpose! In fact Koleosho would be the only one. Granted there’s still a way to go yet. But a season in the Champ can be a big value builder too, look at Tella going for 20m after being surplus to requirements (before last season) at Saints.

I’m sure there would be some turnover but I’d hold hope they try and retain as many as possible and really build with a settled team.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:31 pm

My guess would be is we will need to sell, bring in cheaper versions like last season, a lot of these players were brought in for the premier League, £10-15 million players, a lot will not want to be playing championship football next season, Berge is one for starters and could easily see Trafford going lower Premier League as second choice, that would be £30 million off the books straight away.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:32 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:31 pm
While true im not sure it is about a constant high turnover of players. Those last two windows have been done for specific reasons. First summer as we had half a squad, second summer cause we lost 4 loanees + Barnes + Cork’s age and needed to step up a (big) level.

Of course they want to make money but as things stand, I fail to see many they’d make money on, which defeats the purpose! In fact Koleosho would be the only one. Granted there’s still a way to go yet. But a season in the Champ can be a big value builder too, look at Tella going for 20m after being surplus to requirements (before last season) at Saints.

I’m sure there would be some turnover but I’d hold hope they try and retain as many as possible and really build with a settled team.
I think you will find that Tella went for a hell of a lot less than the 20m figure quoted.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:00 pm

RVclaret wrote:

Depends where the money has come from and if they want something back. Will also depend on who the manager is

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:01 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:
My guess would be is we will need to sell, bring in cheaper versions like last season, a lot of these players were brought in for the premier League, £10-15 million players, a lot will not want to be playing championship football next season, Berge is one for starters and could easily see Trafford going lower Premier League as second choice, that would be £30 million off the books straight away.
Yes, Tresor too

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 pm

Will clubs be queuing up to pay good money for our players if this season continues the way it is? Berge, maybe Koleosho? I would have said Foster but I think teams will be wary now with his mental health issues.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:03 pm

Levy must be absolutely delighted he didn’t go all out in the summer.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:06 pm

I hold my hand up, I shamefully admit I was indeed one of those sausages.
images.jpeg.jpg
images.jpeg.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 987 times

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I think this sales pitch VK has hooked Pace with buying players cheap and selling high after they have excelled under his coaching techniques is starting to crumble and I think we are going to lose heavily on a lot of players /. Hope I’m wrong and we can turn it round

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:36 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:13 pm
I think this sales pitch VK has hooked Pace with buying players cheap and selling high after they have excelled under his coaching techniques is starting to crumble and I think we are going to lose heavily on a lot of players /. Hope I’m wrong and we can turn it round
From practically day one the idea explicitly laid out by Kompany was not that we'd profit on ALL, but that from the spread of signings we'd mine a few diamonds, the profits from which massively offset those that don't quite work out, such as Twine, Churliniov, Bastien etc. Koleosho is probably worth more after 13 games than what we laid out on all three of the aforementioned plus Kolo's fee himself.

JMU81

Post by JMU81 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I'm hoping not. We will be looking to offload the likes of Bastien, Churlinov, Egan Riley, Mcnally, Twine ect. But hoping we keep the majority of the squad together unless silly offers come in to turn a good profit.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:05 pm

JMU81 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:59 pm
I'm hoping not. We will be looking to offload the likes of Bastien, Churlinov, Egan Riley, Mcnally, Twine ect. But hoping we keep the majority of the squad together unless silly offers come in to turn a good profit.
We won’t be making any profit on any of these as yet unproven players. In fact we will struggle to offload them, meaning a wage bill far too big for the Championship.

JMU81

Post by JMU81 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:05 pm
We won’t be making any profit on any of these as yet unproven players. In fact we will struggle to offload them, meaning a wage bill far too big for the Championship.
There are plenty of players we could turn a profit on or at least get our money back on :

Foster
Egan Riley
Mcnally
Bastien
Koleosho
Muric
Zaroury
Benson
Obafemi

Just gotta keep the faith and hope if we do go down we go up within a couple of seasons a lot more streetwise and ready to stop up.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:27 pm

JMU81 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 pm
Just gotta keep the faith and hope if we do go down we go up within a couple of seasons a lot more streetwise and ready to stop up.
We'll walk it next season according to the experts on here.

Arrogance in the extreme.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10094 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:33 pm

Is this one of those ever so clever wise after the event threads?
I'm not even asking for a friend.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10094 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:35 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:27 pm
We'll walk it next season according to the experts on here.

Arrogance in the extreme.
You're having a beano at the moment, aren't you?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:24 pm
I’d say it’d be wise to get rid of a few in January if we can make money on them.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:45 pm

Hope he can sell that £ 100 mill player in January so we can start rebuilding pretty quick.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:12 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:35 pm
You're having a beano at the moment, aren't you?
No.