Amdouni

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Re: Amdouni

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:29 am

Its a shame Koleosho got injured, it would have been good to see a front 3 of Koleosho Foster Odobert

Cazaris
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Cazaris » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:54 am

I really want to love Amdouni, but BOY is he making it difficult...
This user liked this post: longsidepies

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:00 am

A lot of questions about Amdouni on this thread which are harsh, simply a case of someone trying to work out at this highest level of all what they can get away with and what they cannot. He will get there in time.

He isn’t helped by having a bit of everything but no one attribute that elevates him to the top, e.g. he is good on the ball but isn’t a creator like Bernardo Silva or Odeguard, he is a good finisher but isn’t rapid like Jesus or tall like Wood. Personally I think a player like Ings is what he is, and equivalent goal output will come.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:22 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:00 am
A lot of questions about Amdouni on this thread which are harsh, simply a case of someone trying to work out at this highest level of all what they can get away with and what they cannot. He will get there in time.

He isn’t helped by having a bit of everything but no one attribute that elevates him to the top, e.g. he is good on the ball but isn’t a creator like Bernardo Silva or Odeguard, he is a good finisher but isn’t rapid like Jesus or tall like Wood. Personally I think a player like Ings is what he is, and equivalent goal output will come.
I’m not sure I get the link to Ings. Completely different type of player.

Like you say I’m not sure any of his attributes will make him effective at this level. IMO he’s too slow to be a real danger

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 am

The criticism of Amdouni is massively overblown. The important point isn't that he's missing chances, it's that he gets more chances than any other Burnley player. That isn't luck, it's talent. We can see he's capable of scoring goals from his Conference League and international success previously and sticking with him until it goes right is very obviously the right thing for us.
These 5 users liked this post: RVclaret Quicknick Cazaris Burnley Ace Burnley1989

ClaretOfMancunia
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by ClaretOfMancunia » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:33 am

I see Amdouni on a similar trajectory to Foster. We know he has the capability on paper to score goals, he just needs to bed into the team and find his feet. I believe he'll come good given time.

Special shout to Zaroury for that sublime (almost) assist for the first chance.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:50 am

As I have said previously, we'll get the best of him when we play 433. With him in the old Hazard role. That means just 1 proper winger. Crucially it liws allows 3 in cm, so we can play Berge, Browny and Cullen. That should reduce the goals conceded.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:50 am

As I have said previously, we'll get the best of him when we play 433. With him in the old Hazard role. That means just 1 proper winger. Crucially it allows allows 3 in cm, so we can play Berge, Browny and Cullen. That should reduce the goals conceded.

Would also be even better if we could then play at least 1 full back that overlaps etc.

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:08 pm

Amdouni is the most talented footballer I have ever seen play for Burnley. I'm 51.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm

People seen to think Amdouni is going to come good and whilst I don't really disagree, will he stick around for a season in the Championship (considering we are very likely to go down).

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:14 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm
People seen to think Amdouni is going to come good and whilst I don't really disagree, will he stick around for a season in the Championship (considering we are very likely to go down).
He won’t be sticking around.

Well probably recoup our money but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up moving back to Europe.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:14 pm
He won’t be sticking around.

Well probably recoup our money but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up moving back to Europe.
Yeah I don't think he will either, so I am a bit confused about why people are so happy about him possibly coming good after a season (hope I am wrong about relegation, him leaving and taking a full season to come good :lol: )

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:23 pm

He's flattered to deceive at times, and definitely requires a Foster type player alongside him, but he's had touches of class that show what he is capable of.
We need to cut him some slack, a young player, in a struggling team, in his first season, in the toughest league in the world.
We have no one better to replace him with, and nobody with his potential. Patience from us can only help him .
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:42 pm

Good shot
Good skill

Too lazy
Not involved enough
Doesn’t seem to fit in the formations we play
Too slow

Poor buy at this present time

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:47 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:42 pm
Good shot
Good skill

Too lazy
Not involved enough
Doesn’t seem to fit in the formations we play
Too slow

Poor buy at this present time
The point about formations is the crucial one for me.

Can’t see where he is supposed to fit into this team

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 pm

The best dribbler I have ever seen at Burnley, his close touch and control is something different, the way he fakes one way then goes the other is absolute magical.

He just needs that consistency in his end product, it’s tough for a struggling side. His drop deep and link up on the halfway line is great too and drives the side forward but it’s the end product.

I remember end of first half against Spurs, he beat two defenders with ridiculous skill, got his head up to find Foster, just got a very difficult pass wrong. Villa away very similar, Fosters toe offside.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:50 pm

I don’t think he’s too lazy either, he doesn’t last 90 minutes because he covers an awful lot of ground back and forward.

I actually think that’s a bit of his game that hinders him, he needs to be more lazy. Weghorst was another, brilliant on the half way line and worked his arse off he was never in position to score.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:52 pm

The slow thing is complete nonsense too, I see him as a similar player to Pacqueta at West Ham and I’d favour Zeki in a 1v1 foot race.

I don’t know why people mention pace like it’s a must have to succeed, like all the greatest players ever have been Usain Bolt.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm
Who knows, unlikely given Lazio were in for him, we might have had to include a relegation release clause to secure the deal? Worth noting he will be at the Euros all summer with Switzerland and if he performs in that it’s almost certain he’d leave.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:11 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:52 pm
The slow thing is complete nonsense too, I see him as a similar player to Pacqueta at West Ham and I’d favour Zeki in a 1v1 foot race.

I don’t know why people mention pace like it’s a must have to succeed, like all the greatest players ever have been Usain Bolt.
When you haven’t got the same technical ability or strength, pace is the most important aspect you need.

Amdouni isn’t the same technical ability, doesn’t have the same physical attributes so pace becomes important.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:12 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm
Who knows, unlikely given Lazio were in for him, we might have had to include a relegation release clause to secure the deal? Worth noting he will be at the Euros all summer with Switzerland and if he performs in that it’s almost certain he’d leave.
He’d look a hell of a player at a side like Brighton imo

A side that isn’t under the pump before a ball is kicked. I actually thought we’d be a better attacking side this season overall, I look at some of the talent and names on paper but we’re just a bit of a flat fart going forward.

maybe I just overrate the likes of Foster, Amdouni, Odobert and Zaroury though, maybe they’re just further from PL level than I like to think.

I look at Joao Pedro moving from Watford to Brighton, talented player at Watford but not really shone. Moves to Brighton and smashing it. Is he really considerably better than anything we have?

I dunno just my thoughts, post game this season Iv felt quite a lot we wouldn’t have scored if we played all night. Not sure why we are such a flat toothless blunt side with so many exciting attacking players.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:18 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:12 pm
He’d look a hell of a player at a side like Brighton imo

A side that isn’t under the pump before a ball is kicked. I actually thought we’d be a better attacking side this season overall, I look at some of the talent and names on paper but we’re just a bit of a flat fart going forward.

maybe I just overrate the likes of Foster, Amdouni, Odobert and Zaroury though, maybe they’re just further from PL level than I like to think.

I look at Joao Pedro moving from Watford to Brighton, talented player at Watford but not really shone. Moves to Brighton and smashing it. Is he really considerably better than anything we have?

I dunno just my thoughts, post game this season Iv felt quite a lot we wouldn’t have scored if we played all night. Not sure why we are such a flat toothless blunt side with so many exciting attacking players.
I think as a group we do over rate our players. They have a lot of potential but the issue is there all so young and inexperienced, there’s barely any talent in the side with vast premier league experience.

Look at Pedro for example, he’s playing alongside the likes of Lallana, Wellbeck, Gross who are all experienced premier league pros (two of them are premier league winners).

I listened to Lallanas interview on Talksport the other day and it was one of the most interesting ones I’ve listened to in a long time.

He talks about the existing young talent and how they are nurturing them to get the best out of them. This quote speaks volumes to me “without experience around the young talent, they will likely never achieve there potential”.

I personally think Amdounis best form came when playing alongside Jay.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:18 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:11 pm
When you haven’t got the same technical ability or strength, pace is the most important aspect you need.

Amdouni isn’t the same technical ability, doesn’t have the same physical attributes so pace becomes important.
What you just said is a whole bunch of nothing though ain’t it? You typed a paragraph and said nothing. Who needs pace? What level? To be successful is what?

Amdouni isn’t as technically talented as Pacqueta so he’s a worse player I’ll agree. So where does pace come into this? If Amdouni had pace he’d be better than Pacqueta despite less technical tools? Amdouni can’t be worse technically without pace and be successful at a lesser level/club than Pacqueta?

Like what is the exact science. Football is littered with attacking midfielders without pace, it’s almost like they’re played behind the striker and not on the wing because they lack pace.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:23 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:18 pm
What you just said is a whole bunch of nothing though ain’t it? You typed a paragraph and said nothing. Who needs pace? What level? To be successful is what?

Amdouni isn’t as technically talented as Pacqueta so he’s a worse player I’ll agree. So where does pace come into this? If Amdouni had pace he’d be better than Pacqueta despite less technical tools? Amdouni can’t be worse technically without pace and be successful at a lesser level/club than Pacqueta?

Like what is the exact science. Football is littered with attacking midfielders without pace, it’s almost like they’re played behind the striker and not on the wing because they lack pace.
You haven’t understood what I am trying to say (potentially how I have written the paragraph).

I’m saying that to be successful at this level you typically either have to have unbelievable technical ability, be a physical beast or have an extra yard of pace. My issue with Amdouni is I think he’s a bit of a Jack of all trades, he’s got a decent level of technical ability, I think he could be physically ok (once he’s developed) and I think he has ok pace.

I’m not sure he particularly stands out in any capacity. When I look at Two of ours most successful players this season (Berge and Foster) both have the physical attributes to be successful and as a result are arguably our best performers.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:06 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 pm
The best dribbler I have ever seen at Burnley, his close touch and control is something different, the way he fakes one way then goes the other is absolute magical.

He just needs that consistency in his end product, it’s tough for a struggling side. His drop deep and link up on the halfway line is great too and drives the side forward but it’s the end product.

I remember end of first half against Spurs, he beat two defenders with ridiculous skill, got his head up to find Foster, just got a very difficult pass wrong. Villa away very similar, Fosters toe offside.
In terms of end product I often feel he has opurtunites to shoot as other's do, but it seems to be the modern way to play that extra pass and the chance has gone, so frustrating.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:07 pm

One of the best buys last summer if you ask me. Watch him flourish after adapting to English football
These 3 users liked this post: burnley007 Burnley1989 CrosspoolClarets

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:37 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:07 pm
One of the best buys last summer if you ask me. Watch him flourish after adapting to English football
I think the frustrating thing here BC is if he does adapt it’s likely going to be too late and he will be gone when we are relegated.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:23 pm
You haven’t understood what I am trying to say (potentially how I have written the paragraph).

I’m saying that to be successful at this level you typically either have to have unbelievable technical ability, be a physical beast or have an extra yard of pace. My issue with Amdouni is I think he’s a bit of a Jack of all trades, he’s got a decent level of technical ability, I think he could be physically ok (once he’s developed) and I think he has ok pace.

I’m not sure he particularly stands out in any capacity. When I look at Two of ours most successful players this season (Berge and Foster) both have the physical attributes to be successful and as a result are arguably our best performers.
I’m not sure pace is really relevant to the position he’s playing behind a striker though. Like I said I’m pretty sure the majority of attacking midfielders lack pace and strength. They make up for it in technical ability, I think Amdouni has that ability in him, his dribbling is incredibly good and he’s shown he can be effective at this level, just not consistently.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:44 pm

he gets into great positions but just isn't lethal. There's a reason he plays for us and not a Man City

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:55 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:22 am
I’m not sure I get the link to Ings. Completely different type of player.

Like you say I’m not sure any of his attributes will make him effective at this level. IMO he’s too slow to be a real danger
I think the comparison especially when Ings played for us is pretty fair. Decent turn of pace but not lightning. Decent height and aerial ability but not a target man. Fast feet, good technique, quick close dribbler, solid finisher but more for his technique and space-finding than being a natural fox in the box. Good vision and creative play, most naturally suited to the Second Striker/Trequartista role.
Problem is that sort of role traditionally is the little man in the big man-little man combo and we don't have that. We tried it with Jay but Jay is sadly shot, utterly immobile and can't link play or create anymore. Foster's not a target man his job isn't to hold up, lay off, batter defences, provide a target for crosses and aerial balls. Ings worked best at us alongside Vokes who was the epitome of that style, at Southampton he played a bit higher and more central but still wasn't a 'number 9' style forward, he'd drop deep and move in between lines with real 360 movement much closer to a SS type. I think Ings had a better first touch especially from high/fast balls and at times a Bergkamp-esque ability to flick and juggle it, but otherwise they're quite similar. But Ings at his prime was better and if not for injuries would have had many more caps for England than he did.
KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:50 pm
I don’t think he’s too lazy either, he doesn’t last 90 minutes because he covers an awful lot of ground back and forward.

I actually think that’s a bit of his game that hinders him, he needs to be more lazy. Weghorst was another, brilliant on the half way line and worked his arse off he was never in position to score.
People saw what they wanted to with Weghorst. The people who wanted Dyche out/had axes to grind insisted he was used as a head on a stick when he clearly wasn't, he was dropping deep, linking up, playing behind Jay who was moved up into the Wood role. Probably because ironically they'd never seen him play and just went "6 foot 6, scores goals, bet he's a head on a stick". Projection. The people who found his desire to play in the WC rather than the Championship unforgivable decided he'd always been lazy, entitled and never tried regardless of how hard he pressed or how much yardage he covered.
It's a problem with a lot of fans. They make their mind up about something or someone then edit their own memory to match. We're seeing it again now, there's people who are critical of Kompany or certain players (most notably Trafford, Vitinho, Amdouni, O'Shea) who always see fault with them or find fault with every decision Kompany makes, there's people supportive of Kompany or certain players (most notably Muric, Rodriguez, Tresor, possibly Larsen & Ramsey) who always think they played well or will always re-assess everything to defend Kompany's every decision. Nobody is good at leaving their own preferences and biases at the door, myself included, but some cant ever manage it.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:47 pm
The point about formations is the crucial one for me.

Can’t see where he is supposed to fit into this team
Not a bad player just think we would have been better with Tella on the right for a little bit more fee.

Said on another thread reminds me of Havertz and he never seems to be comfortable up front in a two or on his own for Arsenal.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:38 pm

Amdouni knew what he was doing, purposely missing the nut megs so we didn’t win the game and end up drawing Man City in next round

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:42 pm

Absolute top class player, I really don't see where the criticism is coming from. He's had 1 or 2 games where he's struggled to get involved, other than that he's looked our best player

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm

His best performances have been on the Turf in the 2nd half of games when he’s played the inside left position and ran from deep ,he’s good but not a patch on Stephen Defour.