Well, a nice week in Greece turned Pete Tong!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jel
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 1178 times

Well, a nice week in Greece turned Pete Tong!

Post by Jel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:28 pm

Zakynthos, gales, thunder lightning storms and down pours. It seemed a good idea to book this last Monday, just before the weather in England turned hot and the forecast here went bad.
The original idea was Cornwall.
At least the food is good.
20230907_152753.jpg
20230907_152753.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 3080 times

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Re: Well, a nice week in Greece turned Pete Tong!

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:31 pm

Jel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:28 pm
Zakynthos, gales, thunder lightning storms and down pours. It seemed a good idea to book this last Monday, just before the weather in England turned hot and the forecast here went bad.
The original idea was Cornwall.
At least the food is good. 20230907_152753.jpg
Last time were in Zante about 15 years ago there was a thunderstorm while we were in a Restaurant on the main street, and the street became a river for 1/2 an hour

Jel

Post by Jel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:37 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:31 pm
Last time were in Zante about 15 years ago there was a thunderstorm while we were in a Restaurant on the main street, and the street became a river for 1/2 an hour
We had that in Skiathos a few years ago. We walked back to the hotel dressed in bin bags. I think we're getting it all wrong!

claretdj
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 175 times

Post by claretdj » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:40 pm

I'm going in 5 weeks, can't wait :D as I have never been!
This user liked this post: Jel

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:41 pm

We’ve just arrived in Lindos, here for a week. Boiling hot clear blue skys but the pilot did mention having to navigate a ‘weather system’ elsewhere in Greece.

Jel

Post by Jel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:51 pm

claretdj wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:40 pm
I'm going in 5 weeks, can't wait :D as I have never been!
Take some waterproofs!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm

Got some friends flying out to Corfu tomorrow will pass on your weather updates 😉

Jel

Post by Jel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:57 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Got some friends flying out to Corfu tomorrow will pass on your weather updates 😉
It's very strange, the clouds are coming from the south and the wind from the north.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:09 pm

Jel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:37 pm
We had that in Skiathos a few years ago. We walked back to the hotel dressed in bin bags. I think we're getting it all wrong!
We had the same in Skiathos, the locals must be used, I never seen so many cushions and chairs get dragged under cover so quick. The night before we'd been in the roofless picture house, all I could think of is what those poor sods suffered.

Jel

Post by Jel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:17 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:09 pm
We had the same in Skiathos, the locals must be used, I never seen so many cushions and chairs get dragged under cover so quick. The night before we'd been in the roofless picture house, all I could think of is what those poor sods suffered.
If that was the same year, there were people killed in Thessalonika

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:18 pm

I’m in Spain, week started off watching Spurs batter a Burnley schoolboys 11 5-2 surrounded by a group of chirpy cockneys. Followed by 3 days of Delhi belly and diarrhoea.

Can’t get near the pool because the scousers and jocks get up at 7 in the morning to spend a day covered in lard frying their tattooed bodies in the Spanish sun.

The Mozzies have enjoyed my flesh more than I’ve enjoyed that provided by the hotel and the teenage girls in the room next door seem to think that communication consists of shrieking obscenities at each other all day long..

In other words a good solid Brit family summer holiday. Can’t wait till next year.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:29 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:18 pm
I’m in Spain, week started off watching Spurs batter a Burnley schoolboys 11 5-2 surrounded by a group of chirpy cockneys. Followed by 3 days of Delhi belly and diarrhoea.

Can’t get near the pool because the scousers and jocks get up at 7 in the morning to spend a day covered in lard frying their tattooed bodies in the Spanish sun.

The Mozzies have enjoyed my flesh more than I’ve enjoyed that provided by the hotel and the teenage girls in the room next door seem to think that communication consists of shrieking obscenities at each other all day long..

In other words a good solid Brit family summer holiday. Can’t wait till next year.
You find the gay hairdresser there anymore, he's got a new job as an undertaker in Coronation Street. 😀

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:55 pm

I'm on Skopelos atm.

I'm not one for aimless loafing on beaches, guzzling full English breakfasts or slurping mediocre booze in brit-infested bars..neither of which is that much of a thing over here.

Actually, sitting out on the veranda the last 2 nights, working my way through a large bottle of Metaxa, watching the sub-tropical storms raging all around has been an awesome experience..as has been relaxing in lots of sheltered tavernas, and working my way through just about every authentic local dish on offer around these parts.....

The progress made by the Greek Islands (well..the Sporades at least) has been a revelation...it's easy to see why many actual Athenians are regular visitors.

. Id recommend Skopelos to anyone seeking a laid back couple of weeks..irs a big step up on its louder/trashier neighbour Skiathos and well worth the few extra coppers to get across here.
This user liked this post: Jel

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:20 pm

Good to hear fatboy47, Skopelos could be on the list for next year.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:34 pm

Aclaret - what fatboy omitted to tell you is that he is a massive Abba fan and is only there to regularly visit the Mamma Mia church on Skopelos, he then spends his evenings singing like Pierce Brosnan after he has had a few too many Metaxas.

The best live music I've seen on holiday was in Skiathos town at the Blind Dog, would strongly recommend for anyone visiting, English guy with his Greek wife with acoustic/electric guitars, quality !

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:46 pm

bodge....singing like Pierce Brosnan after way too many Metaxes to ABBA songs ? What a great night that sounds 😄 Off to Turkey next week, hoping for similar 👍
This user liked this post: bodge

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:58 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Blessing in disguise not getting a bed near the pool. Especially if they are all occupied by Scousers and Sweaties.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:16 pm

bodge wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:34 pm
Aclaret - what fatboy omitted to tell you is that he is a massive Abba fan and is only there to regularly visit the Mamma Mia church on Skopelos,
😂😂Climbed up to that bugger in the howling wind yesterday bodge.. I was the only eejit daft enough in those conditions.. Lightening flashing all round didn't help much either. My quads are still recovering 😮.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:20 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:20 pm
Good to hear fatboy47, Skopelos could be on the list for next year.
Recommend Skopelos Village Hotel for a very civilised stay.. Sensibly priced, prime position on the edge of town, decent pool and lovely dining terrace.
This user liked this post: Aclaret

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:49 pm

A few years ago we were holidaying in a Tyrolean village. One evening we had one of the best thunder and lightning storms I've ever seen.

We sat on our balcony drinking a bottle of wine while it all unfolded. First, you had the tolling of the church bell while the sky grew darker. This is basically to warn everyone, and the next village, that a storm is about to break. Next, you had a massive crack of thunder that seemed to shake the whole place - the storm had well and truly broke loose.

The storm stayed over the valley for a good hour. Massive thunder and lightning bouncing around the Wilder Kaiser mountains. Thor was certainly throwing his hammer around that night. The atmosphere, sight, and sound of it all were almost spiritual. It felt like you were among the gods. It was awesome.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 chekhov Colburn_Claret

winsomeyen
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by winsomeyen » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:47 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:49 pm
A few years ago we were holidaying in a Tyrolean village. One evening we had one of the best thunder and lightning storms I've ever seen.

We sat on our balcony drinking a bottle of wine while it all unfolded. First, you had the tolling of the church bell while the sky grew darker. This is basically to warn everyone, and the next village, that a storm is about to break. Next, you had a massive crack of thunder that seemed to shake the whole place - the storm had well and truly broke loose.

The storm stayed over the valley for a good hour. Massive thunder and lightning bouncing around the Wilder Kaiser mountains. Thor was certainly throwing his hammer around that night. The atmosphere, sight, and sound of it all were almost spiritual. It felt like you were among the gods. It was awesome.
Would that be PNE THOR who seems to have dissappeared :!: :!:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:52 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:49 pm

We had a similar one in Olu Deniz (Turkey) that rattled around the Mountains while we were all sheltering by the Pool Bar enjoying a few late night beers rain bouncing down ... We also had a few free beers that were gratefully imbibed for helping move the soft furnishings before the rain came 🙂

Jel

Post by Jel » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:47 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:16 pm
😂😂Climbed up to that bugger in the howling wind yesterday bodge.. I was the only eejit daft enough in those conditions.. Lightening flashing all round didn't help much either. My quads are still recovering 😮.
We're renting a Quad tomorrow!

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 103 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:48 am

Off to Kos this afternoon. Booked it so it incorporated the international break. Weather forecast looks good so fingers crossed.