RATE THE REF - Robert Jones v Nottingham Forest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

RATE THE REF - Robert Jones v Nottingham Forest

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:51 am

Robert Jones (The Wirral) v Nottingham Forest

How to Score
A. Decision Making (including use of advantage) - out of 25
B. Consistency - out of 25
C. Fitness and Positioning - of 25
D. Control and Authority - out of 25

Please only Rate the Ref if you attended the game and only do so, after the game has ended. Thank you

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: RATE THE REF - Robert Jones v Nottingham Forest

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:03 pm

From the game…

A 9
B 8
C 8
D 8

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:08 pm

Generous JD. Can we have a Jones scale? Starting at the negative and to a maximum of zeroes all round if he has the game of his life. The most incompetent official we have had the misfortune to experience for many a year.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:12 pm

This will be interesting.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:24 pm

Can't rate but would be very low. Don't want to see him again. He walks out at the Turf he's having it from the first second.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:28 pm

He's consistent. Robbed us of a goal at Elland Road and did the same here.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6906 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:28 pm

From the tele he was plain shite.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:30 pm

Weak and looks way out of this depth!

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:31 pm

10 - VAR had the control and authority in making his narrow mind up for him.

This ref is the absolute pits. VAR only served to make his performance worse tonight.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:34 pm

He’s an egomaniac. Look at how he swarms over to the VAR and brushes people out the way. He couldn’t wait to disallow the goal. Didn’t even look at the replay properly or consider other angles. I can’t stand the guy.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:28 pm

Apart from the ridiculous booking of Trafford, he wasn't doing too bad until the disallowed goal. That's one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. And it took two of them to make it. Nobody who has played football watches that and says 'deliberate handball' and that is what is so wrong with this sport.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:31 pm

At around the 70th minute I thought he was a poor ref who was somehow having a good game. I hoped he didn't have any contentious decisions to make or anything that required so strong character.

A. 6
B. 10
C. 17
D. 9

Have to mark him down for backtracking and disallowing the goal because he could have conveyed to the VAR official how he saw it in real time which is as it actually was.

matucana
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by matucana » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:05 am

Dreadful performance. Regularly behind play and often found himself interfering with play and passages of play instead of running the diagonals. Suggests a lack of fitness. His peers need to undertake an urgent review of his all round ability.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:07 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:28 pm
Apart from the ridiculous booking of Trafford, he wasn't doing too bad until the disallowed goal. That's one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. And it took two of them to make it. Nobody who has played football watches that and says 'deliberate handball' and that is what is so wrong with this sport.
If you watch the referee's pictures, you can clearly see that Berge had two or three seconds to look at the ball hanging in the air and move his arm that half an inch to deflect the ball into his path. It was only in live action that the "handball" was impossible to see, even from the perfect angle.

If the refs had only realised that the replay was being shown in slow motion, they wouldn't have disallowed it.

Combined score for both:

People as stupid as that don't deserve any points. And the VAR man was clearly out of position because he was in front of a TV screen where he could do only harm.

PS - I wasn't at the game, only watching on TV, so my marks won't count. But I had already posted them so I am leaving them!!! :evil:

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:10 am

Not fit for purpose as a referee or anything else for that matter

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:15 am

Considering what is at stake in the PL he should be nowhere near it. He damages the integrity of the league imo. After the Leeds debacle I was hoping we wouldn’t see him again.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:25 am

A - 7
B - 5
C - 10
D - 5

A complete homer as evidenced by that Trafford booking which felt unprecedented.

Gave us some decisions but he kept getting in the way of the ball and I felt his decision making was flawed, he missed every key incident including the red card.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 am

It takes some doing, but this absolute gland managed to have both sets of supporters calling him what he is - absolute dog turd.

Quite simply out of his depth. We might get a letter of apology from Howard Webb though (doubtful) so that’s okay then.

Pathetic.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Rick_Muller

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:40 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 am
It takes some doing, but this absolute gland managed to have both sets of supporters calling him what he is - absolute dog turd.

Quite simply out of his depth. We might get a letter of apology from Howard Webb though (doubtful) so that’s okay then.

Pathetic.
I listened to talkSPORT on the way home and yes the ref was getting battered by both sets of fans and the pundits

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:59 am

Forest lodged a complaint about his VAR officiating after the United game. I'd imagine he's back in their good books now.
He set the tone for the game 10 minutes in when he responded to the weird, screeching by the home fans when Trafford took longer than they liked to take that free kick.

A - 4
B - 15
C- 4
D - 4

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:54 am

A. 7 , starting with the lunacy of the yellow card for Trafford
B. 6 - wasn't consistent at all
C. 8 - (or 25 if you get points for strutting around like some over grown male model)
D. 5 - lost any he might have started with

Very rare I make this low but this referee Robert Jones is all that's wrong with football. No understanding of the game whatsoever and it really shows the state of the game when he can referee an international match.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:54 am

His decision making reminded me of the worst kind of bullying. Taking centre stage, the big I am. Failed badly to give the alleged handball the proper scrutiny it merited by not checking all angles.
Fosters dig in the ribs on an opponent really needed again proper scrutiny. The Forest player dropped like a stone.
Where was the demonstration of judgement of a football game.
We should have won.
Jones is an absolute joker.
I score him nought for every criteria.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 am

Can't resist commenting on this - sorry.

Trafford booking. He was booked for the team as it took an age for that kick to be taken. Definite yellow. We want to see time wasting stopped - this is how it's done.

Hand ball Berge. Obvious handball to me, and I've played football. Why did he bring his arm up. The pundits last night said to protect the ball (or himself) from the defender. That's nonsense. If you protect from the defender you use your elbow and push him away, or grab his shirt as is commonplace these days. The only purpose bringing his whole arm up was to stop the ball bouncing off his left chest and towards the defender so he could keep control of the ball. Difficult for the ref to see immediately and I don't know if his assistant made any signal but this is what VAR is for.

What I question is the Foster incident. Yes, clear red card for the elbow but why is it not a penalty. Foster was being held in the penalty area. VAR should be pointing this out to the ref and he should have seen it on the monitor. It would still be a red card of course.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:18 pm

Hipper wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 am

Trafford booking. He was booked for the team as it took an age for that kick to be taken. Definite yellow. We want to see time wasting stopped - this is how it's done.

Hand ball Berge. Obvious handball to me, and I've played football. Why did he bring his arm up. The pundits last night said to protect the ball (or himself) from the defender. That's nonsense. If you protect from the defender you use your elbow and push him away, or grab his shirt as is commonplace these days. The only purpose bringing his whole arm up was to stop the ball bouncing off his left chest and towards the defender so he could keep control of the ball. Difficult for the ref to see immediately and I don't know if his assistant made any signal but this is what VAR is for.

What I question is the Foster incident. Yes, clear red card for the elbow but why is it not a penalty. Foster was being held in the penalty area. VAR should be pointing this out to the ref and he should have seen it on the monitor. It would still be a red card of course.
‘And I’ve played football’ :D

Two ex refs, Keith Hackett and Mark Halsey, have both stated on twitter today that it was ‘never a handball’ and the goal should have stood. Add that to Thomas Frank (an actual PL manager) and Jamie Carragher (probably up there with the best football pundits unless he’s got Liverpool goggles on).

As for the Trafford booking, it’s not ‘blatant time wasting’ at all, why would we want to waste time in the 10th minute? It was just a slow/unorganised set piece which led to indecision. Matt Turner and Forest did the *exact* same a few minutes before and nothing. At worst the ref could have warned Trafford but oh no he has that big smug grin on his face when he wafts the card.
These 2 users liked this post: MeeActon1 Rick_Muller

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:48 pm

I didn't have a problem with Trafford's booking and it was in line with the edicts this season- whether those edicts be right or wrong. He took well over 30 seconds and faked his run up at least once. He ran a risk.

Generally I thought the ref did fine. Sold an absolute pup by VAR but that isn't his fault.

Foster incident isn't a penalty. Foster is never anywhere near the ball.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:50 pm

Should be sacked and whoever thought he passed muster must also go as they are totally clueless about how football works.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:50 pm

claretspice wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:48 pm
I didn't have a problem with Trafford's booking and it was in line with the edicts this season- whether those edicts be right or wrong. He took well over 30 seconds and faked his run up at least once. He ran a risk.

Generally I thought the ref did fine. Sold an absolute pup by VAR but that isn't his fault.

Disagree re Trafford. He was set up to pass to Beyer but then a Forest player moved towards Beyer, so Trafford had to reset.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:51 pm

Hipper wrote:

Yeah, you definitely haven't played football.

Trafford's intended pass was blocked by a Forest player btw so he had to readjust. You won't have sent that on telly. Not timewasting at all.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:58 pm

claretspice wrote:
It's 100% his fault. He can quite easily ask for full speed replays, he can ask for other angles to be shown. He's been told it's deliberate handball by a guy in an office in a different part of the country and he hasn't got enough about him to judge what he saw himself, the reactions of the players, the crowd, all of which would have told him there was no deliberate handball.

Too weak, too meek and shouldn't be anywhere near football, either of them. Looking to find a way to rule goals out is not what VAR is for. It was bad enough they spent 5 mins looking for a way to chalk off the Forest goal, which was a pearler.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1037 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:00 pm

I think Jones in general ( and I've seen him multiple times to form judgement) spends far too much time posturing and posing for the cameras when he knows they will be on him ( stoppages in play ) and he needs to grow a backbone too imo

Also what are the chances he refs at The Turf this season, I'd say slim

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:39 pm

claretspice wrote:
Did HE take well over 30 secs though?

He only approached the ball after Taylor had been stood with it earlier.

It's the same as a throw in, a player rushes to the ball to take a quick one but there is nobody on, he holds the ball while the full back arrives who then spends a 'normal' amount of time trying to find a man in space, the referee deems the whole episode as timewasting when it's nothing like it. The free kick in the second half for Forest took longer to be taken but that doesn't fit the warped narrative that the PGMOL has created.

We've gone from players taking the absolute **** and only getting carded in injury time (Heaton & Pope were terrible at it) to a weird situation that players are rushing to throw/kick the ball anywhere just to appease the referee and home fans to avoid a caution.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:26 pm

claretspice wrote:

Sorry, I strongly disagree. The rules say that a foul is a foul. The ball doesn't have to be near. Off the ball incidents are often punished.
And: the referee is in charge. I doubt Mike Dean would have allowed himself to be undermined by the VAR official in this way.
Dean or Jones to VAR: "IS this a clear and obvious error on my part?" No - so my decision stands.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:33 pm

Referees are being hung out to dry by VAR.

In nearly all contested cases the referee has made a clear decision based on his judgement of the action and in this case Jones AWARDED THE GOAL. As far as I know he doesn’t ask for VAR to confirm it, but it seems now that the VAR team always step in to question ALL goalscoring action.

The spotlight is now on the referee and the match halted while the VAR team analyse and inspect the incident from each and every angle. Eventually the referee is invited to reconsider by the “anonymous” VAR team and the charade of looking at the monitor takes place - which both sets of fans know means only one outcome.

The referee (who is always the villain of the piece) is then obliged to eat humble pie and declare that unfortunately his “honest” judgment was flawed and his decision overruled.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:13 pm

Nothing special but at least with the support from VAR he got all the big calls right

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:13 pm
Nothing special but at least with the support from VAR he got all the big calls right
Surely you believe that Trafford should have been sent off for time wasting and Cullen should have given away a penalty for handball?
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera THEWELLERNUT70

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:19 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:33 pm
Referees are being hung out to dry by VAR.

In nearly all contested cases the referee has made a clear decision based on his judgement of the action and in this case Jones AWARDED THE GOAL. As far as I know he doesn’t ask for VAR to confirm it, but it seems now that the VAR team always step in to question ALL goalscoring action.

The spotlight is now on the referee and the match halted while the VAR team analyse and inspect the incident from each and every angle. Eventually the referee is invited to reconsider by the “anonymous” VAR team and the charade of looking at the monitor takes place - which both sets of fans know means only one outcome.

The referee (who is always the villain of the piece) is then obliged to eat humble pie and declare that unfortunately his “honest” judgment was flawed and his decision overruled.
It's not an anonymous VAR team........it was Mr England, which probably explains a lot

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:33 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:19 pm
Surely you believe that Trafford should have been sent off for time wasting and Cullen should have given away a penalty for handball?
Don't be such a drama queen

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:44 pm

35 seconds from the free kick being awarded and the whistle being blown for the card.

Trafford was stood in the middle of his goal when it was given.

It’s ridiculous by any measure.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:51 pm

Just watching back, their keeper took longer to take a goal after 38 minutes.

Neither were time wasting.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:57 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:51 pm
Just watching back, their keeper took longer to take a goal after 38 minutes.

Neither were time wasting.
I don't doubt that Sheffield United were stretching the boundaries to the limit at the weekend but a lot of what Heckingbottom said was pretty close to the truth.

What's the saying?

'They know the laws but they don't know the game'

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 pm

Hipper wrote:

He was booked because he had to change what he was doing because of the movement of one of the Forest players. This was the perfect example of a referee not having a clue about the game, just applying daft rules when they don't apply.

ecc
Been Liked: 1441 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:46 pm

It hits his chest. Not one Forest player complained.