VAR (Forest fan)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mist rollin in
Been Liked: 47 times

VAR (Forest fan)

Post by Mist rollin in » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:24 pm

I despise what VAR is doing to the game, so whenever an incident crops up involving Forest, I always think its worthwhile giving a genuine opinion of the decision.

Most like-minded Forest fans will think we were extremely lucky, I've seen it a few times and whist on some angles you can see that the ball hit his arm, I don't believe its deliberate and the point of contact is quite high (its almost on his shoulder). The goal simply should have stood. With the red card VAR decision, tbh Foster has been a bit foolish.

The problem with VAR is that its analysing decisions in every detail, if they want to find something wrong, they will. It was meant to be introduced for overturning 'clear and obvious' errors. It's taking away too much enjoyment from the game, Burnley fans rightly celebrating a winning goal and then all that enjoyment has been taken away.

Looking forward to the trip to Turf Moor, I wouldn't be too downbeat with your start to the season; lot of teams near the bottom currently struggling, 3 points gets you out the mix at this stage of the season.
These 46 users liked this post: RVclaret LDNBFC87 Bordeauxclaret Jjjack Gordaleman Falcon THERAT summitclaret bfcjg Andingle Claret Till I Die bf2k morpheus2 Dark Cloud ICL nil_desperandum Rumpelstiltskin Redbeard Pickles longsidepies COBBLE Bosscat Buxtonclaret Juan Tanamera Vegas Claret Claretforever whiffa Rick_Muller DCWat Boss Hogg turfytopper NewClaret Accrington claret S0S-1971 Colburn_Claret Croydon Claret Wo Didi mybloodisclaret MT03ALG Foshiznik Quicknick jjclaret IanMcL burnley007 HandforthClaret beeholeclaret

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Re: VAR (Forest fan)

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:33 pm

Thank you.

Please send a copy of your post to the Premier League.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 pm

Good post, balanced.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 pm

Mist rollin in wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:24 pm
I despise what VAR is doing to the game, so whenever an incident crops up involving Forest, I always think its worthwhile giving a genuine opinion of the decision.

Most like-minded Forest fans will think we were extremely lucky, I've seen it a few times and whist on some angles you can see that the ball hit his arm, I don't believe its deliberate and the point of contact is quite high (its almost on his shoulder). The goal simply should have stood. With the red card VAR decision, tbh Foster has been a bit foolish.

The problem with VAR is that its analysing decisions in every detail, if they want to find something wrong, they will. It was meant to be introduced for overturning 'clear and obvious' errors. It's taking away too much enjoyment from the game, Burnley fans rightly celebrating a winning goal and then all that enjoyment has been taken away.

Looking forward to the trip to Turf Moor, I wouldn't be too downbeat with your start to the season; lot of teams near the bottom currently struggling, 3 points gets you out the mix at this stage of the season.
It's ruining any enjoyment of the game and needs to be addressed before it seriously turns people off. There's no point celebrating a goal anymore as you know the VAR officials are looking for a reason to chalk the goal off. VAR got involved 5 times last night:

1. Hudson-Odoi goal checked for offside
2. Hudson-Odoi goal checked for handball
3. Disallowed goal
4. The penalty check just before the Foster red card
5. Foster red card

The Foster red card is correct but in my opinion there was no need to even review the first 4 incidents and had none of them been reviewed I don't think anyone would be saying the officials had made a mistake. It's interfering for the sake of it.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:59 pm

Mist rollin in wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:24 pm

Totally agree, as will majority of fans. Get to "Clear and obvious errors" and things will be more like what was invisaged at the outset of VAR.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5089 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:03 pm

When every pundit,commentator ex and current players are questioning the impartiality of VAR it really does bring its validity into question.

IPAclaret
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by IPAclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:09 pm

In reply to Forest fan "Mist rollin in''

good to hear an opposing fans views especially one so fair and unbiased ...

Red card for Foster absolutely correct but he is clearly being held / fouled beforehand hence his silly reaction. VAR scrutinize the elbow but not Worrell's foul, why ?? who then goes down like he's been shot

Very harsh to give handball by Berge which was neither a clear and obvious error or deliberate and he was fouled by McKenna just before the handball incident in any case which again is missed by VAR, what a surprise

ridiculous to yellow card Trafford at the start of the game without any warning. If you watch it back, he goes to pass the ball out but the player is then closed down by a Forest player so stops to look for another Burnley shirt, the crowd start whistling and super ref books him. The inconsistency is so annoying, we see obvious time wasting late into the second half that regularly goes unpunished

3 points would have really got us up and running last night and I think we deserved it (just), by hey ho, this is how it was for us in the Prem for a few seasons and no doubt will be again

UTC

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:34 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 pm
It's ruining any enjoyment of the game and needs to be addressed before it seriously turns people off. There's no point celebrating a goal anymore as you know the VAR officials are looking for a reason to chalk the goal off. VAR got involved 5 times last night:

1. Hudson-Odoi goal checked for offside
2. Hudson-Odoi goal checked for handball
3. Disallowed goal
4. The penalty check just before the Foster red card
5. Foster red card

The Foster red card is correct but in my opinion there was no need to even review the first 4 incidents and had none of them been reviewed I don't think anyone would be saying the officials had made a mistake. It's interfering for the sake of it.
Surely VAR checks every goal and presumably any possible serious incident such as the Foster red card. I have no objection to VAR checking these things as I thought that's why it was introduced.

Before VAR we would moan about goals awarded when there was a handball that the officials hadn't seen. Now we moan because VAR finds these errors.

We clearly can't have both. Take the Foster red card. It wasn't spotted, as far as I can see, by any of the officials. All we had was a Forest player in a heap on the ground (and to be fair there wasn't much play acting by either side last night) and Forest players complaining to the ref. Surely no-one can argue that it is not a red card when you see the various televised views. Without VAR Foster gets away with it. Maybe it would have been spotted later in a review but that doesn't help on the night.

Of course VAR still gets things wrong as it is still in the end about opinions. It's not an exact science like some people wish it to be. It is however more exact then match officials alone but that's it.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi Mist Rollin Inn

Are you anything to do with the micro pub up on Alfreton road? If so, it's a nice little boozer and keep up the good work.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:24 pm

Hipper wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:34 pm
Surely VAR checks every goal and presumably any possible serious incident such as the Foster red card. I have no objection to VAR checking these things as I thought that's why it was introduced.

Before VAR we would moan about goals awarded when there was a handball that the officials hadn't seen. Now we moan because VAR finds these errors.

We clearly can't have both. Take the Foster red card. It wasn't spotted, as far as I can see, by any of the officials. All we had was a Forest player in a heap on the ground (and to be fair there wasn't much play acting by either side last night) and Forest players complaining to the ref. Surely no-one can argue that it is not a red card when you see the various televised views. Without VAR Foster gets away with it. Maybe it would have been spotted later in a review but that doesn't help on the night.

Of course VAR still gets things wrong as it is still in the end about opinions. It's not an exact science like some people wish it to be. It is however more exact then match officials alone but that's it.
The problem isn't that VAR checks it, it's that it checks it to the nth degree. Yesterday's VAR ref clearly felt that his job was to disallow the goal if at all possible. That's why he used ultra-slow motion for both Hudson-Odoi's goal and for Foster's goal to try and find some excuse to disallow it. With Foster's goal, he succeeded.

The point of "clear and obvious errors" is that referees' decisions will not be overturned unless the decision is clearly and obviously wrong. You don't change the decision for a "could have gone either way" or a "not really sure" verdict.

Both England and Jones yesterday felt that the decision to allow the goal was clearly and obviously wrong, and by extension they must believe that anyone who disagrees is also clearly and obviously wrong - this includes Keith Hackett, Thomas Frank, and just about everyone else who has commented. The ref and VAR man are so sure of their rightness that they believe no other opinion is reasonable. (At least, they were last night. The fact that no other beggar agrees with them might - I only say might - have made them have another think.)

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:28 pm

Hipper wrote:
One of the crucial opinions in football is the opinion that you have scored a goal. Why do fans celebrate goals? It's because they have scored. Not, as the VAR aficianados would have it, because they have won a ticket to the VAR lottery which might say they have scored or it might not.

The benefits of (marginally) increased accuracy of VAR, even when it gets it right, aren't worth the costs.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:16 pm

Hackett and Halsey have both come out today and said ridiculous decision, for disallowing the goal

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:19 pm

Maybe Howard Webb should be permanently in the var room making decisions, might save him making apologies every week if he reckons he knows what’s what.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3432 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm

My take on VAR
No Burnley players thought it was handball.
No Forest players thought it was handball.
No Forest supporters expected it to be disallowed for handball.
No Burnley supporters expected it to be disallowed for handball.

That's the problem with VAR

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Goalposts wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:16 pm
Hackett and Halsey have both come out today and said ridiculous decision, for disallowing the goal
Anyone with an ounce of sense and any understanding of the game would come out and say it was a ridiculous decision

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:00 pm

Hipper wrote:

But the idea of VAR isn't to check to the nth degree it is to check for "clear and obvious" errors. As such this should only be allowed to check the footage IN REAL TIME. Stop frame and slo-mo generally lose their general situational component and do not necessarily show the reality.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 pm

Goalposts wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:16 pm
Good for them. Does us no sodding use though.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1037 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm
Anyone with an ounce of sense and any understanding of the game would come out and say it was a ridiculous decision
Yet there's a couple of Wally's on here that say it should have been

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:30 am

When the VAR crooks were reviewing the Foster incident could someone please explain why they first did not review Foster being clearly held and hence a penalty to Burnley. As it was they only reviewed Fosters frustrated elbow and rightly issued a red card. It’s not what they say it’s what they don’t say ! That’s how crooked Governments operate. So I guess no reason for PL crooks to be the same. I loved the Championship and I hate the Premier League. I wonder why !!!!! FU Jones

Mist rollin in
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Mist rollin in » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 am

Really interesting to read the view of opposing fans; post-match view from most Forest fans is that we were very lucky.

General consensus from your responses is that VAR simply isn't working. Like someone pointing out, VAR is currently looking at everything to the nth degree, which wasn't its initial intention. When the official is being referred to the monitor, he's basically being told he's got something wrong; it's very rare that a referee sticks with his on field decision.

If you look at something enough times, you'll find something, so in this case, they searched long enough to find a handball. Yet, bizarrely, in the Man U incident vs Wolves, they don't even overturn a clear and obvious error - its infuriating.

Technology works in Cricket, Rugby and Tennis - yet somehow it's not working in football.
This user liked this post: Falcon

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:38 am

Mist rollin in wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 am
Really interesting to read the view of opposing fans; post-match view from most Forest fans is that we were very lucky.

General consensus from your responses is that VAR simply isn't working. Like someone pointing out, VAR is currently looking at everything to the nth degree, which wasn't its initial intention. When the official is being referred to the monitor, he's basically being told he's got something wrong; it's very rare that a referee sticks with his on field decision.

If you look at something enough times, you'll find something, so in this case, they searched long enough to find a handball. Yet, bizarrely, in the Man U incident vs Wolves, they don't even overturn a clear and obvious error - its infuriating.

Technology works in Cricket, Rugby and Tennis - yet somehow it's not working in football.
I think there’s a cultural issue at play with English referees. I heard a comment on a pod that in England it’s used far more in the EPL than foreign leagues and I can’t help feeling that our officials have got into some doom spiral where they are so fixated on getting every minute decision correct, they’re actually overanalysing situations and getting the wrong. If they reduced the usage of VAR in games, accepted that the tightest calls they may not always get right, we’d be in a much better place.

But that won’t happen because of some odd sense of infallibility the PGMOL seems to have about itself.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:34 pm

turfytopper wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm
My take on VAR
No Burnley players thought it was handball.
No Forest players thought it was handball.
No Forest supporters expected it to be disallowed for handball.
No Burnley supporters expected it to be disallowed for handball.

That's the problem with VAR
You could say the same for Hudson-Odoye's goal. I was surprised to see the check.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:59 pm

Good to see opposition fans posting such unbiased and reasonable comments.
If the disallowed goal would have been scored by Forest or any other team then I think the vast majority of our fans would agree that we had been extremely fortunate.
There seems to be a very wide consensus that the goal should not have been disallowed.

After initially being quite supportive of VAR I now think it’s grown into something that is ruining the game with far too many grey areas combined with an inconsistency amongst officials which is beyond belief.
The officials between them seem to have decided what they think VAR should look like - their own definition of clear and obvious which is the direct opposite of these 2 words ; unwritten rules around being summoned to the monitor which in 99% of cases is nothing more than a pointless gesture to everyone that they are following a process (when in reality referees have been told not to think for themselves and change the VAR recommended decision).

As for the bias that still remains with certain big managers and big teams I hear people saying these have always been there before VAR with the likes of Sir Alex, Wenger etc. That is undoubtedly the case but the big difference now is that surely that was one of the things VAR was supposed to resolve. At least before you could fabricate that a referee was incompetent or had made a genuine mistake - how can you say this now when it’s multiple officials checking each other and still getting it f’in wrong ?
This user liked this post: Rowls

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:34 am

Good poster. A football fan, not a forensic detective!

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:35 am

Var should look at incidents from all angles in real time, if you can’t see anything obviously wrong in real time then the referees decision stands.

Slowing everything down distorts the image and makes things less clear in certain circumstances. In any case, the game isn’t played in slow motion, things should be assessed in real time only.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3432 times

Post by turfytopper » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:53 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:34 pm
You could say the same for Hudson-Odoye's goal. I was surprised to see the check.
exactly....again everyone in the stadium accepted the goal.
So the only surprise was it was checked by VAR. At least that one was given as a goal. But then you'd have to ask why bother?