I feel something really special is developing…

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Re: I feel something really special is developing…

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:08 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:51 am
Well if it's even half as special as mentioned here, discussing relegation on this thread seems bizarre.
We’re the youngest squad in the league and likely brought in the most players during the window. Development takes time, team cohesion takes time, you cannot train experience you guessed it, it takes time.

In Dyches first Pl season when we were relegated, we kept together most of the squad and whilst we took a step back getting relegated, we came back better prepared. You can’t teach the been there done it, you just have to do it. I think it means a lot too, if Arsenal had the experience of wining trophies in their team last season, they don’t bottle the PL title to City.
These 2 users liked this post: burnley007 Bosscat

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:29 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:28 pm
The point is the OP states that 'something really special is developing' when we have one point out of fifteen.
It’s very clear from the OP that the points tally so far is not what he is talking about.
Do you seriously think he is saying that the 1 point out of 15 is evidence that “something really special is developing” ? Or do you think that he believes this based on the other things he mentions in his post ?

Fine to disagree with his view but maybe debate it based on the points he’s making. Everyone knows we only have 1 point !!
This user liked this post: NewClaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:36 pm

Manchester City
Aston Villa
Tottenham
Nottm Forest
Manchester United

I think I would've been really happy with 1-4 points from that list back in July.

Beating a Premier League side in the League Cup too

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4574 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:36 pm

We have bought the players to create the chances. Now save up for a striker to convert them.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:48 pm

4 of the next 5 league games are away including trips to Luton Brentford and Bournemouth
Next month will tell us a lot about our squad strength against "level' opposition

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:51 pm

By early December we will have won a few games, by new year we will be okay.
I still believe we will finish mid table quite easily.
The skill in this squad is top notch.
It's just a matter of " finding " the best team.
A couple of the new players will be world class.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:54 pm

Agreed. Remember we scored 3 goals in our first 4 games last season. It was only when we started playing the likes of Blackpool and Wigan that things clicked up front. When the fixtures get easier the goals will come.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:59 pm

I worry that it will be a repeat of the 1970 season.we has a very talented side,with Thomas,Coates,Casper and Kindon,but we're relegated scoring under 30 goals from 42 games.We outplayed some top teams also,not least the double winners Arsenal at home,but the results just wouldn't come right for the very young side.Sounds familiar?

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 pm

I'm at the point where I can't wait for the next game. Such bright young talents... lot's of Belgian lads and Cullen Foster Berge Larsen Vitinho who played in the Belgian league make it even the more interesting for me.

New players like Amdouni Koleosho Trafford Ramsey are a joy to watch.

And just the way we play as a team the way the ball goes round... You can indeed feel that there's way more to come from Burnley.

We've chosen the path of playing our own game not adjusting to opponents, of course short term you pay the price but long term we will profit from it. Soon the wins shall come. Even against bigger sides.
This user liked this post: burnley007

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:50 am

I alluded to this on Monday's episode of the Debrief podcast (still available https://pod.link/1688380656 ;) ) but I think the United performance - whilst lacking the intensity in the second half to get at least the point that was on offer - was another big step in this team's evolution.

Yes, United were poor for the most part and we were a little passive in the second 45 mins with the back line keeping possession etc but I saw it as a chance for the side to really work on the basics and United, in a way, allowed them to gain experience and confidence in doing the simple things that are required at the top level.

Those sideways passes give the backline the experience of keep possession under a press (which we were terrible at doing in the first couple of home games), those ventures out of the back by Beyer are all about him learning when he can or can't do that etc etc. It's turning the game into hundreds of phases of play and getting comfortable at executing each of them.

All the best performances in the Premier League are underpinned by doing the basics as well as they can be done. In the first three home games our undoing was not doing the basics right. (Ian McGeechan described it on the High Performance podcast a year or so ago as 'world class basics')

The first half v United was a super performance whilst the second half was about having a crash course in experience and confidence that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the campaign.

There's 38 games in a PL season and the only league table that really matters is the one after the 38th game. The fixture list at the start of the season has been torrid but every game has been an opportunity for this young side to learn what is required.
These 6 users liked this post: burnley007 longsidepies warksclaret Anonymous Claret Falcon Colburn_Claret

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:12 am

Richard Keys ( anybody remember him ) thinks it's all a vanity project for Vincent Kompany and he is trying to raise his reputation before jumping to another club.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:36 am

No doubts Kompany looks down on us a bit and will at some point move on, I sense from his remarks he feels the crowd should be pumping and more hostile, we can be a bit placid compared to, for example, Forest. I expect he will feel there is a ceiling on what he can do with the cash and with the crowd.

But it is exciting nonetheless and he is committed at this point, Richard Keys is a grade a knob, Kompany works 15 hour days so why the heck shouldn’t he be thinking of his career path? It can be win win (though I’d settle for ‘win’ right now :D ). He is currently the managerial equivalent of Koleosho though, a 19 year old. He rattles on about “I have had 11 years in this division so know it a little bit” and this comes across as either arrogance or a lack of confidence. These other managers have largely seen it and done it as managers. I think he needs 5 years before being ready for a huge club.

Back to the comments above about evolution and United - I agree with second half comments and heard the same on the podcast but that was only 30 minutes until the subs, if VK had correctly used them earlier which it was crying out for, we’d have only had about 15 minutes of stalemate. We’re making huge progress and aren’t far off a mid table team, IF we get a couple of 10-15 goals a season guys firing.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:39 am

rufus lumley wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:12 am
Richard Keys ( anybody remember him ) thinks it's all a vanity project for Vincent Kompany and he is trying to raise his reputation before jumping to another club.
I think Keys is way off the mark here.

Now that we are aware of the owners business model around our club in buying young assets with the aim of developing those assets then selling on at large profits, could it be that VK will be rewarded either with a bonus or commission on any future sales of players that he is instrumental in developing?

None of us are aware of VK's contract and rightfully so, but he achieved a masters in Business Administration whilst at City so maybe ALK have their dream manager in more ways than being a great football coach/manager. I doubt that he spent all that time studying for a masters in Business Administration for the fun of it.

If this is the case I have no problem with it and I think that is why he is going to be with us for quite a while hopefully. BTW this is just a thought and I could well be wrong.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:03 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:36 am
No doubts Kompany looks down on us a bit and will at some point move on, I sense from his remarks he feels the crowd should be pumping and more hostile, we can be a bit placid compared to, for example, Forest. I expect he will feel there is a ceiling on what he can do with the cash and with the crowd.

But it is exciting nonetheless and he is committed at this point, Richard Keys is a grade a knob, Kompany works 15 hour days so why the heck shouldn’t he be thinking of his career path? It can be win win (though I’d settle for ‘win’ right now :D ). He is currently the managerial equivalent of Koleosho though, a 19 year old. He rattles on about “I have had 11 years in this division so know it a little bit” and this comes across as either arrogance or a lack of confidence. These other managers have largely seen it and done it as managers. I think he needs 5 years before being ready for a huge club.

Back to the comments above about evolution and United - I agree with second half comments and heard the same on the podcast but that was only 30 minutes until the subs, if VK had correctly used them earlier which it was crying out for, we’d have only had about 15 minutes of stalemate. We’re making huge progress and aren’t far off a mid table team, IF we get a couple of 10-15 goals a season guys firing.
Only in your mind is there no doubt that Kompany looks down on us. And he doesn't "rattle on" about having had 11 years in the PL, he said it once so far as I know. In response to a question about experience.

You don't need a couple of 10-15 goal strikers to finish mid-table. Only 6 teams had two men in double figures last year, and one of them was Leicester. Brighton didn't do it, nor Villa nor Man United. Spurs only just managed it with Son getting 10, and Man City not far off with Foden getting 11.

Keys' comments make no sense, you're right there. A manager advances his career by winning things. No-one is going to appoint a manager who plays pretty football and loses games he should have won, so the idea that that's Kompany's ambition is foolish.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:32 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Wow !
Way off on a number of points IMHO.

Other than maybe the manager at Brentford I don’t think there is a manager who conducts himself aswell as VK with the media. I’ve never seen any arrogance from him, he’s honest and open and he’s also very respectful to the opposition and officials.

As for looking down on us what has he ever said about the club or the town that makes you think that ? Everything he has said from the day he got the job is complimentary and genuine. He also made a point of giving Dyche a lot of credit and saying the qualities and values Dyche instilled in the team were important to him.

As for 11 years experience in the PL he responded to a question. Not sure that counts for “rattling” !! But that aside his experience is pretty relevant given his position and stature at Man City and playing for one of the best managers in the history of the game. If he’d played for Watford for 11 years I’d kind of agree !!

In terms of Saturday I do agree that we should have used the subs earlier and also we needed to show more urgency and go for United more in the second half. But VK often mentions himself he is developing as a manager and he will also have his own reasons for what he did which he would never divulge - but if he did it might make perfect sense to those fans who think they know best.

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 675 times

Post by burnley007 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:40 am

Kompany is a humble guy, don't let his confidence confuse you.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:50 am

Richard Keys comments confused me, though I would've agreed with him twelve months ago.

Does it look like Vincent Kompany is utilising a specific style of play to the detriment of Burnley Football Club to show the bigger clubs who wants to play that system?

That's what I suspected at the beginning of last season.

However, we blitzed the Championship with 101 points. So, the system worked for both Vincent Kompany and Burnley Football Club. So Richard Keys doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also, if Vincent Kompany is successful, will he be at Burnley FC forever? Of course not. He has a right to be ambitious, though that doesn't mean he's always angling for a move away.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:53 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

:D :D This place never ceases to amaze

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:57 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 pm
Maybe some people can see the bigger picture, just like they could when the owners took over, and after sacking Dyche, and after relegation, and after the sticky start last season.
For me, I remain an optimist about the team and club regardless of what this season brings.

We are no longer a team of has beens and I will take the bigger picture/longer game to allow this team to develop even if its not successful right now. I think it was on the Beehole podcast that they said something along the lines of the only way to progress is by doing, failing and learning from it. This was spot on.

I am glad the owners and manager have calm heads because the fact is that short term thinking isn't needed right now. We need to stick with them and it will be then we see the players and team flourish. There will be mistakes and there will be learns but that is exactly how you get growth.

We have been in a period where short term thinking to protect our financial stability seems to be a narrative that is embedded into the fan base. We are run by people that now understand risk and medium to longer term thinking as they don't need to flog us to exit in the short term.

We will have somethings special for sure, that there is no doubt about if we give the project time.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:57 am

If all the rhetoric from the media this week about how poor we are doesn't galvanise the players and fans, then nothing will.

It will make it all the sweeter when we show them what we are about.
This user liked this post: burnley007

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1511 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:37 am

Keys' column is absolute bilge. The man is a dinosaur who believes the only 'proper' way to play football is to launch it forward and play 4-4-2. Had to laugh how he was supportive of Sheffield United, who had just been battered 8-0, yet it's us who are playing the game wrong after a narrow defeat to Man United.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:55 pm

There's people on here using the quality of Man United as some kind of barometer to judge the quality of our own performance. One person even suggesting they could be in a relegation battle. For balance Man Utd are in the Champions League because they finished in the top 4 of the league last season. They had lost 3 in a row, but look at it in perspective. The first was against Arsenal away where they lost to two injury time goals. One was a disappointing result against Brighton. A Brighton side lets not forget that are a model for our own club and several years in front of us. Those of you who know your football will realise that it took several years of relegation battles before they got to where they are now. The final game of the 3 was away to the German champions. They played pretty well for parts of that game and even though they lost, still managed to score 3 goals. You can also look at their bench on Saturday. Amrabat, Martial, Eriksen, Garnacho and Varane to name a few would be in our team.

You have to put our performance in that context. They created nothing other than from set pieces, but won the game with a worldie. Whilst we didn't create a lot, we created more than them in open play. Amdouni isn't an out and out striker, but looked more of a threat than Man United's £75m striker.

I'm sure Kompany would have hoped for, and maybe even expected, more points than we have. But realistically even 4 or 5 points would have been a decent return from the games we've had so far. Even then you'd say in hindsight that Spurs are surprising people and whilst Villa have had a couple of poor results they've also comfortably beaten all the teams where they started as favourites and beaten Chelsea away. It's not a matter of writing off those games, but there's been enough from us to see that we still have a very good chance of achieving our aims.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:01 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:55 pm
There's people on here using the quality of Man United as some kind of barometer to judge the quality of our own performance. One person even suggesting they could be in a relegation battle. For balance Man Utd are in the Champions League because they finished in the top 4 of the league last season. They had lost 3 in a row, but look at it in perspective. The first was against Arsenal away where they lost to two injury time goals. One was a disappointing result against Brighton. A Brighton side lets not forget that are a model for our own club and several years in front of us. Those of you who know your football will realise that it took several years of relegation battles before they got to where they are now. The final game of the 3 was away to the German champions. They played pretty well for parts of that game and even though they lost, still managed to score 3 goals. You can also look at their bench on Saturday. Amrabat, Martial, Eriksen, Garnacho and Varane to name a few would be in our team.

You have to put our performance in that context. They created nothing other than from set pieces, but won the game with a worldie. Whilst we didn't create a lot, we created more than them in open play. Amdouni isn't an out and out striker, but looked more of a threat than Man United's £75m striker.

I'm sure Kompany would have hoped for, and maybe even expected, more points than we have. But realistically even 4 or 5 points would have been a decent return from the games we've had so far. Even then you'd say in hindsight that Spurs are surprising people and whilst Villa have had a couple of poor results they've also comfortably beaten all the teams where they started as favourites and beaten Chelsea away. It's not a matter of writing off those games, but there's been enough from us to see that we still have a very good chance of achieving our aims.
Nail on head tbh. Compound this with playing the first 3 games with virtually no recognised left back and no proper number 8 in the team.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:34 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:57 am
If all the rhetoric from the media this week about how poor we are doesn't galvanise the players and fans, then nothing will.

It will make it all the sweeter when we show them what we are about.
Reading the press, and sad git that I am, listening to talkshite, has taught me that the media post headlines, they don't care less about the garbage that follows it.
They label us along with Luton and Sheff U, because we all have the single point. It's all Black and White to them, when in reality it is all different. Only they don't have the time, or can't be bothered to look into the different shades of grey.
From the outside I'd be very worried as a Luton or Sheff U fan, yet from my pov, and obviously from the majority of posters on here, we are all excited to see this team grow. If we'd peaked, or played our best football they might have a point, but we are a long way from that. It took at least 8 games last season to get into our stride, it will take at least 8 or 9 games this season. That's the time to judge us, and even then I think we will get better still after new Year.
People like Keys are stealing a living, talking like experts on subjects they don't have a clue about. I'm just glad I'm not paying his wages.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1219 times
Has Liked: 7210 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:32 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:29 pm
It’s very clear from the OP that the points tally so far is not what he is talking about.
Do you seriously think he is saying that the 1 point out of 15 is evidence that “something really special is developing” ? Or do you think that he believes this based on the other things he mentions in his post ?

Fine to disagree with his view but maybe debate it based on the points he’s making. Everyone knows we only have 1 point !!
I suppose not. I just didn't expect only one point from five matches, including three home hammerings in succession. I expected to lose fairly heavily to Man C but certainly not to Aston Villa, and Tottenham at home is a match we won twice in earlier seasons. I accept that we have looked better since, and I remain optimistic. So onwards and upwards as the cliche goes.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:40 am

Quicknick wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:32 am
I suppose not. I just didn't expect only one point from five matches, including three home hammerings in succession. I expected to lose fairly heavily to Man C but certainly not to Aston Villa, and Tottenham at home is a match we won twice in earlier seasons. I accept that we have looked better since, and I remain optimistic. So onwards and upwards as the cliche goes.
I think a lot of fans expectations are still based on our previous seasons in the Prem.

Without stating the obvious, we now have: a new manager with less experience, a completely new team based on youth (vs our previously ageing but very experienced team), and a new style of play that I would say is more progressive but also exposes us much more on transition. To be honest, I never felt we looked completely solid in the championship - Muric saved us a fair few times in tight games - so I was expecting a tough ride of it Prem with far higher quality that can punish you in a few seconds/passes.

In that sense my expectations must’ve been far lower, or maybe more realistic depending on your point of view.

I think we’re a good way off the top ten teams and that our style in the short term will lead to a few comfortable defeats against them, but if we can stay up and keep this team together it’ll have some really special potential as experience develops.
This user liked this post: Quicknick