Luton Game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: Luton Game

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:08 pm
It should represent our best chance of picking something up as on paper its our easiest game so far.
Yet Forest was our easiest game so far of the season at the time we played them and we got a result. The people whose reasoning before that game was that we had only played the top teams were proved right as soon as we played a team we can compete against.
You call such reasoning as waffle but it really wasn't was it as the Forest result proved.

Like many others you need to think more. Only when the fixtures have evened themselves out can we start to make assertions about where the season will go. Additionally waiting longer will give the team more chance to gel

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:36 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:22 pm
Yet Forest was our easiest game so far of the season at the time we played them and we got a result. The people whose reasoning before that game was that we had only played the top teams were proved right as soon as we played a team we can compete against.
You call such reasoning as waffle but it really wasn't was it as the Forest result proved.

Like many others you need to think more. Only when the fixtures have evened themselves out can we start to make assertions about where the season will go. Additionally waiting longer will give the team more chance to gel
You can't have it both ways when we get beat convincingly from better standard of opposition it's all about how much the other team have spent compared to us & now when facing teams at our level or even slightly lower other excuses come into play, surely that same logic should be applied.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:50 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:36 pm
You can't have it both ways when we get beat convincingly from better standard of opposition it's all about how much the other team have spent compared to us & now when facing teams at our level or even slightly lower other excuses come into play, surely that same logic should be applied.
Really don't get your argument and can't comprehend where you get the idea I am making excuses as you describe it.
If you want to continue making no differentials between the very best teams and the average teams that's up to you.
The difference between what you are saying and my point is that I'm prepared to wait longer than you to see how future results pan out.
I really don't see where there is any further discussion as we have both made our bed.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:26 pm

Cornwallclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 pm
We actually played them early in the season on the turf when we were drawing lots and we did beat them away later on at theirs…it’s not a must win yet but the sooner we get that 1st one under our belt the better
Yes I know. I’m saying that we struggled to beat them in the away game. It was one of our toughest games all season. Think the game after we drew away at Millwall but played them off the park only to concede a late equaliser.
The pitch at Luton is poor and they play a direct and physical game - their forwards are a handful.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:50 pm

I sense another loss tmorrow

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:53 pm

4midable wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:50 pm
That’s the spirit

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:36 pm
You can't have it both ways when we get beat convincingly from better standard of opposition...
Jakub, Forest weren't a better standard of opposition.
The officials robbed us.
This user liked this post: whiffa

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:08 pm
It should represent our best chance of picking something up as on paper its our easiest game so far.
Agree. Worth pointing out that last season we narrowly beat them away and drew at home, albeit early in the season.

I think we’ve improved since then in terms of attacking threat but it’ll definitely not be an easy one judging by last years narrow scorelines.

Let’s hope Foster’s packed his shooting boots.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:34 am

Be rained off this given the storm in that area last night and today

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:36 am

4midable wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:34 am
You really are a positive soul aren't you? Proper doom and gloom in most posts you make.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:40 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:26 pm
Yes I know. I’m saying that we struggled to beat them in the away game. It was one of our toughest games all season. Think the game after we drew away at Millwall but played them off the park only to concede a late equaliser.
The pitch at Luton is poor and they play a direct and physical game - their forwards are a handful.
I thought the pitch was brand new?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:46 am

4midable wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:34 am
Big electrical storm, very little rain compared to other storms recently. Hardly damp outside and going to be dry all day

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:55 am

Lucky socks are in use today first time this season.....not been needed for a while but not being supersti not being superstic....not knowing how to spell has not stopped me deciding to travel in my lucky socks today ;) .....sorted UTC Keep the faith
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller longsidepies whiffa

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:29 am

vinrogue wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:55 am
Lucky socks are in use today first time this season.....not been needed for a while but not being supersti not being superstic....not knowing how to spell has not stopped me deciding to travel in my lucky socks today ;) .....sorted UTC Keep the faith
Sat here at work in my Burnley shirt waiting for 5pm to roll round so I can make the 30 minute trip to Luton... cant wait :D
These 2 users liked this post: Wadesawinger vinrogue

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 am

4midable wrote:
Sense - Didn't think you had any! :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: whiffa

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:59 am

4midable wrote:
You should chance your user name, take off midable and replace it with the word skin instead :lol:

Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 312 times
Has Liked: 338 times

Post by Claretmisterg » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:31 pm

We need to be up for it today as Luton certainly will be. If we are up for it then we will win.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:27 pm

I think you have to factor in not just the quality of opposition but the way they play. I suspect Luton will try and bully us at the back.

As Everton found out winning away against good teams is not the same as having 40,000 fans expecting you to win at home against a well organised physical team that is going to sit in front of you and say 'come and have a go'.

It's going to be interesting - I think at this point you have to be optimist we are going to get at least a point given our performances against Forest and to some extent the more recent arguably better defensive displays albeit getting beat by Manu U and Newcastle.

It's very hard to say because we've played some seriously good sides and while you can make a case for having good spells, and apart from Man U and Forest, it's hard to say we've really been in them to any great extent.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:12 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:40 am
I thought the pitch was brand new?
Don’t know - you might be right. When we played them away last season it was awful.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Afternoon everyone.

I’m feeling excited for tonight’s game and I’m not going to unduly panic if we don’t get the win. That being said, the argument up to now has been we’ve not been expected to win any of our games up to now, and games like tonight will define our season and should be focused on. I wouldn’t like to see a paradigm shift from our style of play and I doubt VK would anyway, but surely something has to change if that hypothesis is found wanting this evening. We’ve seen some impressive results from smaller sides against the big guns this last week which could suggest there’s folly in that line of thinking

What I think what id like to see is a settled team given a run of games. There’s been a lot of chopping and changing across our attacking options, which i suppose is a byproduct of the volume of players we’ve brought in. To my mind, I’d have liked to have remained as close to the starting 11 that finished last season and then slowly integrate the noobs - give lads a chance to win or lose their shirt but we just don’t have an insight into VK’s thoughts and he’s earnt the right to be trusted.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Btw I don’t see a draw tonight. I anticipate we’re going to win or lose.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:02 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 pm
Afternoon everyone.

I’m feeling excited for tonight’s game and I’m not going to unduly panic if we don’t get the win. That being said, the argument up to now has been we’ve not been expected to win any of our games up to now, and games like tonight will define our season and should be focused on. I wouldn’t like to see a paradigm shift from our style of play and I doubt VK would anyway, but surely something has to change if that hypothesis is found wanting this evening. We’ve seen some impressive results from smaller sides against the big guns this last week which could suggest there’s folly in that line of thinking

What I think what id like to see is a settled team given a run of games. There’s been a lot of chopping and changing across our attacking options, which i suppose is a byproduct of the volume of players we’ve brought in. To my mind, I’d have liked to have remained as close to the starting 11 that finished last season and then slowly integrate the noobs - give lads a chance to win or lose their shirt but we just don’t have an insight into VK’s thoughts and he’s earnt the right to be trusted.
Very sensible post. The Premier League is essentially two separate leagues. We’ve only played one game in the league we are competing in and we should have won. Tonight is the second game and we need to be stamping our authority.

That said, we don’t look like getting anything off the big boys, whereas some of the teams around us are better suited to nicking points against them.

Tonight’s game is extremely important. It’s not must win but we all know the result will have a huge bearing on the mood amongst the fans. If we lose it will be utter carnage on here tonight.

The boys will deliver tonight, I’m sure of it.
This user liked this post: BigGaz

BobSykes
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by BobSykes » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:27 pm

You'd think we shouldn't be afraid of beating a team we finished comfortably above last season in a lower division, but no doubt about it Luton will be well up for it after beating Everton, being at home, and knowing we're desperate to get off the mark. They must be the clear favourites.

As I've said before, we seem to be all over the shop and i don't see why that is suddenly going to come right tonight, unless VK has had a rethink on various fronts. Which he won't. Foster back is good, but probably too much expectation on him if we're pinning all our hopes on that.

I'm fearful. Lose tonight and any confidence the lads did have will be shot away to buggery.

Only Chelsea next...

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:28 pm

If we get beat it’s no problem, we can’t be expecting to win games against these top 17 sides.
These 2 users liked this post: BobSykes Pickles

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:31 pm

BobSykes wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:27 pm
You'd think we shouldn't be afraid of beating a team we finished comfortably above last season in a lower division, but no doubt about it Luton will be well up for it after beating Everton, being at home, and knowing we're desperate to get off the mark. They must be the clear favourites.
Nope, Burnley are marginal favourites.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:39 pm

BobSykes wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:27 pm

As I've said before, we seem to be all over the shop and i don't see why that is suddenly going to come right tonight, unless VK has had a rethink on various fronts. Which he won't. Foster back is good, but probably too much expectation on him if we're pinning all our hopes on that.

I'm fearful. Lose tonight and any confidence the lads did have will be shot away to buggery.

Only Chelsea next...
Long term viewers of this and the previous forum will know this is actually broadly positive for Sykesy.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:47 pm

I've seen all the teams live on TV except Palace.

The teams I think we can compete with are Forest, Bournemouth, Everton, Luton, Sheff United and Brentford.

I consider Fulham and Wolves (and I suspect Palace) better then us and the rest way beyond the levels we can attain.

This is because we are trying to play like a Premier League team, passing out from the back and trying to work through opportunities. I don't think there's a major physical problem - Forest are a strong side yet we did well against them. The issue is our players do not have the speed of thought or feet to do it as well as these other teams. We're ponderous when moving the ball around and if a team like Newcastle up their energy levels we have no chance.

Tonight is an important statement of how we'll fare this season.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:48 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 pm
Afternoon everyone.

Hi BigGaz, don't forget we had 3 loan players in the team/squad last season - Harwood-Bellis, Tella and Maatsen - that aren't with us this season. Plus we signed a number of new players in the transfer window who are proving themselves in the Premier League as they build their experience. I'm looking forward to seeing the starting line up later and seeing how they all do over 90 minutes at Luton.

UTC
This user liked this post: BigGaz

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Luton away was actually one of the most satisfying performances from last season, but in no way did we beat them comfortably.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm

I hate to say 'I told you so' but I told you so...

It doesn't give me any satisfaction that I've been proved right but I received absolute personal dog abuse on here about a month ago for purely saying that VK has had a poor transfer window, that we were weaker in the striker position and weaker in defence compared to last season, along with having less direct pace with the loss of Tella and that we had the weakest defence in our Premier League history!...

None of what's happened so far this season has surprised me and with the budget VK had, it could easily have been avoided sadly... For the record, as I stated the last time, I still think we have a chance of staying up if we don't get any more injuries in defence, especially at fullback until the January window but we've put ourselves in a precarious position by utilising the transfer window badly.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:10 pm

To all those going tonight, Luton is a place where your volume is enhanced by the old stand. Give it welly.

Come on you Clarets

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:02 pm

Please no more worldies against us

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:04 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm

It doesn't give me any satisfaction that I've been proved right but I received absolute personal dog abuse on here about a month ago for purely saying that VK has had a poor transfer window, that we were weaker in the striker position and weaker in defence compared to last season, along with having less direct pace with the loss of Tella and that we had the weakest defence in our Premier League history!...

None of what's happened so far this season has surprised me and with the budget VK had, it could easily have been avoided sadly... For the record, as I stated the last time, I still think we have a chance of staying up if we don't get any more injuries in defence, especially at fullback until the January window but we've put ourselves in a precarious position by utilising the transfer window badly.

Putting the boot in before the match is commendable

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:21 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm

I bet you were aroused writing that post.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:17 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:41 pm
Not a chance we get doubles over Everton or Sheff Utd we'll be lucky to pick up 3 points in total never mind 12, both teams are perfectly set up to beat us
3 points already gained from the doubles :mrgreen:

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 am

brexit wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:17 pm
3 points already gained from the doubles :mrgreen:
Did we play EVERTON OR SHEFFIELD UNITED last night ??