I still believe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: I still believe

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:49 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:56 pm
I'd be absolutely amazed if he didn't stick with him.
Pace and Co have come to this club to make money, relegation would be massive for them.

Staying in the premier league is critical for them. They will do whatever they can to maintain that status. If people think they will keep VK out of loyalty I think they are being naive.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:39 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:49 am
Pace and Co have come to this club to make money, relegation would be massive for them.

Staying in the premier league is critical for them. They will do whatever they can to maintain that status. If people think they will keep VK out of loyalty I think they are being naive.
I'm not so sure about that. I think the relative ease with which we won the Championship last season might have increased our owners appetite for risk.

It feels like the main goal for the club now is to turn players over for a big profit, hence our aggressive pursuit of young attacking players with potential, even if they don't necessarily fit in to any sort of structure.

I think that is now our main focus as a club and the footballing side is secondary. The strange comments from Kompany have done nothing to dissuade me of that.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:01 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:41 pm
Bein sports started with the digs, I suspect sky sports will follow if we lose to Luton.

Let’s hope we don’t

Having Keys n Gray make comments is a bit like Jimmy Savile saying Rolf Harris wouldn't be the best babysitter.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:15 am

our football model is to try and sign young players and sell them on for a profit and try and keep in the Premier league easier said than done .

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:23 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:39 am
I'm not so sure about that. I think the relative ease with which we won the Championship last season might have increased our owners appetite for risk.

It feels like the main goal for the club now is to turn players over for a big profit, hence our aggressive pursuit of young attacking players with potential, even if they don't necessarily fit in to any sort of structure.

I think that is now our main focus as a club and the footballing side is secondary. The strange comments from Kompany have done nothing to dissuade me of that.
You could be right, but that’s an incredibly risky strategy.

Surely financially the safer option is to stay in the premier league and gain the revenue?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:43 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:39 am

But surely VK and Alan Pace must realise that unless we are constantly at the top table then everything depreciates and buying raw players to sell for profit only tends to work when they are playing in the Premier league.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:44 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:23 am
You could be right, but that’s an incredibly risky strategy.

Surely financially the safer option is to stay in the premier league and gain the revenue?
Logically thinking the ideal scenario would be balance, it's all good & well nurturing youth to sell on in a conveyor style belt setting but somewhere along this pathway you need some continuity results wise, VK won't be the only manager on the planet that can identify & attract potential.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:43 am
But surely VK and Alan Pace must realise that unless we are constantly at the top table then everything depreciates and buying raw players to sell for profit only tends to work when they are playing in the Premier league.
I'm sure they would like to stay in the PL, I'm not saying they're looking to get relegated. But I think the owners are probably more relaxed about it based on what happened last season. Relegated teams are still capable of selling their stand out players for big money.

I imagine they'll feel very confident of repeating last season's trick if it comes to it.

It just feels like there's been a shift in focus, that's all. It might work out brilliantly, we've got some amazingly talented players. I hope Kompany manages to make a functioning team out of what he has.
This user liked this post: Anonymous Claret

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:43 pm
I would be absolutely amazed if Pace sticks with him. I suspect what happened to Dyche will happen. If it looks like we are going down he will make the change.
Absolutely not a chance in hell
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:49 am

Won’t have a big debate about something so far away, and you e been right on things I’ve been wrong about before, but I’m as certain as can be that Pace wouldn’t sack VK.

It would be the biggest mistake ever because we’ve clearly signed a lot of players that have only come to play for him. If we lost him they’d all want out and that’s a lot of wasted investment.

He’s also shown unbelievable ability to unearth cheap talent and of course has a Champ promotion on his CV now.

Not to mention everyone comments on his work ethic being unbelievable. He’s playing a style that Pace wants and he’s also his hire (Dyche wasn’t).
These 2 users liked this post: mkmel Vegas Claret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:27 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:43 pm
I would be absolutely amazed if Pace sticks with him. I suspect what happened to Dyche will happen. If it looks like we are going down he will make the change.
Then you will be crying about the next manager not matching VKs performance in the Championship.

It takes a special kind of fan to consistently slag off our players individually despite amassing 100+ points over a league season, that kind of special, was you. You spent all last season slagging off our players when they were winning every week.

What exactly will make you happy?

Newcastle have lost one home game in 2023, a fluke result against 10 man Liverpool, a game they should’ve been out of sight in. Newcastle play PSG in the UCL this midweek. We were in the game for 75 mins at 1-0 but lost 2-0.

Wtf do you expect? what are you whining at?
These 2 users liked this post: Anonymous Claret Vegas Claret

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:43 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am
Won’t have a big debate about something so far away, and you e been right on things I’ve been wrong about before, but I’m as certain as can be that Pace wouldn’t sack VK.

It would be the biggest mistake ever because we’ve clearly signed a lot of players that have only come to play for him. If we lost him they’d all want out and that’s a lot of wasted investment.

He’s also shown unbelievable ability to unearth cheap talent and of course has a Champ promotion on his CV now.

Not to mention everyone comments on his work ethic being unbelievable. He’s playing a style that Pace wants and he’s also his hire (Dyche wasn’t).
I'm with you all the way NewClaret
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:27 am
Then you will be crying about the next manager not matching VKs performance in the Championship.

It takes a special kind of fan to consistently slag off our players individually despite amassing 100+ points over a league season, that kind of special, was you. You spent all last season slagging off our players when they were winning every week.

What exactly will make you happy?

Newcastle have lost one home game in 2023, a fluke result against 10 man Liverpool, a game they should’ve been out of sight in. Newcastle play PSG in the UCL this midweek. We were in the game for 75 mins at 1-0 but lost 2-0.

Wtf do you expect? what are you whining at?
What are you on about? Apart from Muric I can’t think of anyone else I slagged off. I even gave Brownhill plenty of praise for his performances last year.

My post isn’t even whining? It’s a prediction about what I think Pace will do.

Stop getting your nickers in a bunch, it’s a just a discussion. If you don’t agree that’s absolutely fine. I literally said on the other thread I don’t think we get relegated and I suspect if we win tomorrow that we will also win at the weekend.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:56 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am

Some really fair points there, I agree with a lot of the points. Particularly around the point that this was a Pace hire and Dyche wasn’t.

However, I can’t get past the financial aspect. I just can’t see any circumstance where the board accept a relegation. I genuinely believe they will do whatever it takes to stay up.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:56 am
Some really fair points there, I agree with a lot of the points. Particularly around the point that this was a Pace hire and Dyche wasn’t.

However, I can’t get past the financial aspect. I just can’t see any circumstance where the board accept a relegation. I genuinely believe they will do whatever it takes to stay up.
As much as you may be right, I don’t think you will be, but if they would do anything to stay up surely we wouldn’t have signed as many youngsters as we did! Already they have done something that goes against all known logic for staying up in the prem. personally I think it is a multi year plan which won’t include relegation but won’t be massively thrown off track if it happens what throws us off track for me is Kompany leaving before we are reasonably secure in the Prem and financially.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:35 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am
I'm sure they would like to stay in the PL, I'm not saying they're looking to get relegated. But I think the owners are probably more relaxed about it based on what happened last season. Relegated teams are still capable of selling their stand out players for big money.

I imagine they'll feel very confident of repeating last season's trick if it comes to it.

It just feels like there's been a shift in focus, that's all. It might work out brilliantly, we've got some amazingly talented players. I hope Kompany manages to make a functioning team out of what he has.
I think we will stay up but if we are relegated I still think we will keep VK.

As for the argument by 1 poster about not being able to sell our better players for large profits that is way off the mark IMO.

Leicester sold 2 of their best players for large sums and lost another of their better players in Tielemans through being out of contract, yet they are absolutely ripping the Championship apart

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:36 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am
What are you on about? Apart from Muric I can’t think of anyone else I slagged off. I even gave Brownhill plenty of praise for his performances last year.

My post isn’t even whining? It’s a prediction about what I think Pace will do.

Stop getting your nickers in a bunch, it’s a just a discussion. If you don’t agree that’s absolutely fine. I literally said on the other thread I don’t think we get relegated and I suspect if we win tomorrow that we will also win at the weekend.
Cullen was a run of the mill Championship defender, Maatsen was useless defensively. THB was too slow.

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:40 am

We got good money for McNeil, Collins and Cornet when we got relegated.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Like I said, let’s hope it never becomes an issue.

My perspective (maybe hope) is that they’re not as desperate as you think.

My other point is that you’re assuming that they will feel by sacking him that their chances of staying up are greater. I don’t think that at all, and actually the opposite will be true because this whole squad will’ve come here to play for him.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:29 pm

Only on this board would you have a poster who spent years criticising one of the most successful managers in the history of the club now whinging at another poster for criticising one of the most popular young managers and his team we have had for decades.
And unless my memory is playing tricks the poster outraged at criticising VK’s team was doing the same thing about Benson last season.

The common denominator between all of this is forming opinions on players based on a few games in many cases for young men arriving at a new club in a new country and in a new league. If you really feel the need to criticise players then maybe give them some time to unpack their suitcases before you tear into them ?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:31 pm

burnley007 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:40 am
We got good money for McNeil, Collins and Cornet when we got relegated.
We did and they all showed far more than our additions this season have shown in 6/7 games, perhaps Amdouni aside.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:58 pm

If it gets to December and we're 4, 5, 6 points adrift of safety Kompany will be sacked, no doubt about it. Pace and Co are businessmen, they're not going to write off this season out of personal loyalty to VK.

He needs to stay in touch with 17th to be certain of retaining his job.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Watching Mission to Burnley, the board room got fuller towards the end, some voices questioning Vinnie on Foster, them voices are not going to be quiet if we stay in the bottom 3 :shock:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:10 pm

The one thing that is clear is we have some posters who are much better suited to us being in the championship and being the best team. Their backbone isn't strong enough for them to cope in a tough league
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret RVclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:13 pm

just out of interest, question for all those reckoning Pace will pot Kompany and his vast staff if results don't improve:
who is the replacement who can attract the level of player he has so that Pace's vision and business plan can continue ? List the names.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:37 pm

VK isnt going until he is ready to go.

theres no chance in hell they'll pot him.

more chance of half the posters on here growing a normal functioning adult brain.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:50 am

I wonder if VK was a topic of conversation when Alan and his mates met for their regular Sunday morning kick about up north

This subject will certainly come to the top of the pile after tonights performance and result

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:12 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:37 pm
VK isnt going until he is ready to go.

theres no chance in hell they'll pot him.

more chance of half the posters on here growing a normal functioning adult brain.
If his investment starts to look like it's going down the toilet pace won't hesitate to pull the trigger a lot of people seem to forget he's a businessman first & foremost & had no hesitations sacking a long established liked manager before him.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:26 am

WOW some real fans on this thread. How do you get from ecstatic about being champions, best transfer window in a long time, to 6 games later 5 of which against the biggest teams in the hardest league in the world, to VK potentially getting sacked. Get a bloody grip will you, we had the same last year with all the doubters claiming we were going down, and so far looks like the same posters.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:32 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:12 am
If his investment starts to look like it's going down the toilet pace won't hesitate to pull the trigger a lot of people seem to forget he's a businessman first & foremost & had no hesitations sacking a long established liked manager before him.
I understand the business first thinking you mention but I really can’t see Pace dispensing with VK’s services. There’s a long term plan in place, we probably peaked last season earlier than expected. To move VK on would be completely the wrong thing to do for me which could result in us heading in the wrong direction ultimately having disastrous consequences for the club.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:47 am

beddie wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:32 am
I understand the business first thinking you mention but I really can’t see Pace dispensing with VK’s services. There’s a long term plan in place, we probably peaked last season earlier than expected. To move VK on would be completely the wrong thing to do for me which could result in us heading in the wrong direction ultimately having disastrous consequences for the club.
The long term plan won't include relegation even if he is confident of an immediate return. The major reason he sacked dyche was to try to prevent relegation if that was the plan to keep going up & down he might as well have kept dyche where he was & saved himself a fortune.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:18 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am

In summer VK made a statement, words to the effect of: “we’ve been able to bring in some attacking talent that wasn’t achievable to us last season”. What I took from it was that he feels he’s upgraded in the creativity / attacking areas to respond to being in the Prem. But they were areas we already felt we were strong in, so it appears somewhat profligate. Only time will tell if money could’ve been spent elsewhere, like on defence or midfield.

I do agree though that maybe ALK will be less fearful of relegation this time around than last. I am a lot less fearful too. We’re massively better placed than we were last season and even assuming multiple departures, have a core squad very capable of bouncing straight back.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:36 pm

The only thing tonight told us is that Luton will finish below us
Not sure what else we can do with the current squad except use Cork's experience when under pressure rather than Ramsey
Brownhill is looking poor with every game and should be nowhere near any set piece
We are not looking strong enough in midfield to get out of the relegation battle
At least play to our few strengths and put Koleosho back on the left