Loseton versus Mighty Clarets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Re: Loseton versus Mighty Clarets

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:37 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:34 pm
Going back to the game itself and the result, had this been a Championship game last season with both of us near the top I honestly don't think anyone would be moaning.
I think that's a reasonable comment. We'd have said a hard earned away victory against a tough team.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:38 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:54 pm
2 quality goals. A lot of hard work and a win despite Trafford. Muric must have done something really really bad !!
He has!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm

Extended highlights about to start on Sky Sports Pemier League.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:48 pm

lucs86 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:09 pm
Ref and VAR done us a massive favour tonight on that pen, stonewaller. We were a bit hard done to v Forest but up overall in my book.

Massive effort tonight though, great 3 points. Hopefully more Bruun Larsen, Foster and back to what we're good at at the weekend.
How could it be a stonewalled when he kicks the ball a split second before making contact with the man? as the commentator said VAR won’t overturn the decision when it could be interpreted either way.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:34 pm
Going back to the game itself and the result, had this been a Championship game last season with both of us near the top I honestly don't think anyone would be moaning.
Not to sure about that to be honest.
We have spent over £100m and still looked like a championship team tonight.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:58 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 pm
I was making the point that the result would have been applauded last season, so before the money you cite had been spent.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:00 pm

I mean, if that challenge was made against a club with a bigger reputation than us, I'm 100% sure it would be given.
That doesn't make it right, and it doesn't change the argument of the challenge itself, but it would have been given.
Just the same as if a player from a big side what Berge did at Notts Forest wouldn't have been overturned.

I have some sympathy for Lutone, for sure.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:01 pm

We won and you’re all moaning. Seriously give up.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat warksclaret Juan Tanamera

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:05 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 pm
Up against a Luton team bang up for it who’ve just beaten Everton at Goodison, playing a style who many thought we would struggle with and we won.

Think some of you lot need therapy.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:46 am

Looking forward to looking through this thread, I have faith there will be some gold on this from the usual suspects.

We normally only get this many pages after defeats.

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 am

There will be some disappointed people on here bearing in mind Burnley have won. (Judging by the critical comments). It’s a long way short of Brazil 1970 but Pele & co didn’t have to play at Luton away on a dark Tuesday evening.

Let’s get behind the whole team not try to rip them apart. They’re only young lads (most of them anyway).

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:59 am

bobinho wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:48 pm
That was about not losing. After that, snatch what you can and we absolutely did. We did. Not Luton, us.

So in addition to the three points picked up away from home against a team we should consider to be one of our lower half rivals, we now aren’t happy because we didn’t play like Real Madrid?

This place just gets more bizarre by the moment….

Well done Burnley, a great 3 points that.

It's like a small collection of oddballs all trying to outdo each other in the miserable stakes. Whinge if we play ok and lose and whinge if we don't play well but win. Weirdest bit is that they could watch Man City games instead of streaming ours and just enjoy pretty football and winning most weeks (granted they would have been whinging after losing to Wolves at weekend) weird too how the noisiest ones all seem to be against Trafford and in love with Muric, I passed my ticket on last night being the Mrs birthday but speaking to some who went including my 2 lads they said a similar thing, last time they seen that many balls launched in the box was Sheff Utd away and we let 5 in, maybe it was a relief Trafford played last night.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick RVclaret Clovius Boofus

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:14 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:59 am
It's like a small collection of oddballs all trying to outdo each other in the miserable stakes. Whinge if we play ok and lose and whinge if we don't play well but win. Weirdest bit is that they could watch Man City games instead of streaming ours and just enjoy pretty football and winning most weeks (granted they would have been whinging after losing to Wolves at weekend) weird too how the noisiest ones all seem to be against Trafford and in love with Muric, I passed my ticket on last night being the Mrs birthday but speaking to some who went including my 2 lads they said a similar thing, last time they seen that many balls launched in the box was Sheff Utd away and we let 5 in, maybe it was a relief Trafford played last night.
They played the same way last season at Kennilworth Road - actually crossed the ball successfully 3/27 times… Last night they were successful on 13/31 tries and last game we played them we had Ekdal & Chaz at centre half and obviously Muric in net and definitely dealt with balls into the box better (especially once Ekdal came into the side).

Last night we were once again susceptible to long punts and crosses into the box.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:59 am
It's like a small collection of oddballs all trying to outdo each other in the miserable stakes. Whinge if we play ok and lose and whinge if we don't play well but win.

I have no issue whatsoever with constructive criticism, but some of the stuff on here goes well beyond this. Even my young grandson doesn't behave like this when things aren't going well for us.

I think this match thread is the most embarrassing one yet, and it's mostly the same oddbods every single time. They make the thread unreadable and offer nothing apart from persistently slagging off the players and manager.

Thing is, it shames this forum. Makes us look like utter tossers. A bunch of fair-weather manbabies - this what they are.

ClaretInLeeds
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by ClaretInLeeds » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:52 am

I couldn't help but laugh whilst reading this thread last night. I'm just glad the majority of the contributors don't go to games, their reaction on here is borderline childlike at times - it's thoroughly embarrassing.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:54 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 am
Thing is, it shames this forum. Makes us look like utter tossers. A bunch of fair-weather manbabies - this what they are.
i think history shows that approximately 25% of our fan base are fair-weather supporters, who jumped on board since the Coyle play off win, we'd been consistently 12-15k for a few years before that. IMO since that event the amount of supporters we have who seem to have no knowledge about football, fail to support the team, take every opportunity to moan has increased the same.

this extra support, while good for the club are from a background of sitting on their arse in front of sky sports every weekend, and have no idea what live football and supporting a club is about. They have a completely binary outlook on football - WIN = Good, lets cheer, loss = END OF THE WORLD, slag everyone off.

just my opinion, but i believe it to be true. thats what we've become, and its unlikely to change in the future while we remain sort of successful.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:03 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 am

I think this match thread is the most embarrassing one yet, and it's mostly the same oddbods every single time. They make the thread unreadable and offer nothing apart from persistently slagging off the players and manager.
The thread title doesn’t help. Embarrassing is about right.
This user liked this post: MeeActon1

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:13 am

Grumpy B******s

:D :lol: :mrgreen:

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:16 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:54 am
i think history shows that approximately 25% of our fan base are fair-weather supporters, who jumped on board since the Coyle play off win, we'd been consistently 12-15k for a few years before that. IMO since that event the amount of supporters we have who seem to have no knowledge about football, fail to support the team, take every opportunity to moan has increased the same.

this extra support, while good for the club are from a background of sitting on their arse in front of sky sports every weekend, and have no idea what live football and supporting a club is about. They have a completely binary outlook on football - WIN = Good, lets cheer, loss = END OF THE WORLD, slag everyone off.

just my opinion, but i believe it to be true. thats what we've become, and its unlikely to change in the future while we remain sort of successful.
Bit of a massive sweeping generalisation there. The Wembley win was what, 14 years ago? Perhaps we need to leave that behind as a line in the sand. Since then we’ve spent more time in the prem than out of it so hardly a surprise that our attendances have gone up a bit, and there’s a generation coming through that haven’t seen us outside the top two divisions and we’ve (mostly) been a top 30 club, often top 20. Not sure that’s a plastic / glory hunting / not a true fan thing, just reality. There was plenty of whinging pre Coyle.

I think the reality is there are professional Eeyores in every fan base and in every walk of life who love nothing more than a good moan. It probably doesn’t even make their love of Burnley or football any less, just a bit more perplexing. Internet message boards just amplify their braying.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:33 am

We needed 3 points last night, we found a way to do it, yet we still have whingers on here. We are Burnley not Barcelona to quote someone. I thought after they equalised we would lose all 3 points but we found a way to get the winner. It was a good determined team performance and for once we scored a worldie rather than having one scored against us. So many positives too from individual performances
This user liked this post: chekhov

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:06 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:54 am
I agree with everything you wrote in that post. It's a pity that on-field success means we have to suffer such spoilt and entitled cry babies.

I was sat next to someone during the Villa game who was utterly shouty negative throughout the match, and it left me hankering for the days when we thought 8k was a good attendance. He wouldn't have been anywhere near, and the same goes for many of the 'embarrassments' we have to endure on the match threads on here.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:15 pm

I think on paper Luton Town are the weakest team we'll face all season, and the fact that we failed to regain control of the match after taking the lead is a worry. They always looked like putting one of their chances in, the only surprise was that it didn't come off a head. That said, last night was all about grinding a win out, and we did that. Quite a reaction to conceding a late equaliser to be positive from our kick off and hit them straight back.

On reflection, I also think that Luton Town's biggest strength is by far our biggest weakness - so from a relegation battle point of view it's encouraging that they didn't capitalise on that. And if they can't beat us at home then I do wonder just how many points they'll pick up this season.

I felt we weren't streetwise enough in the second half, constantly rushing passes and turning into trouble instead of just protecting the ball and taking the inevitable foul that comes - this would have relieved so much pressure at times. I also think that we're guilty of putting Trafford into situations where he has little option but to put his foot through it, and we know his long kicking isn't the most controlled or accurate. The threat is there in the final third but we really need to work on our passing which is so sloppy compared to last season, and our decision making all over the pitch. Hopefully this will come, but in the meantime it's a relief to get that first win under our belt.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:17 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:38 pm
He has!
Do tell.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:21 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:00 pm
I mean, if that challenge was made against a club with a bigger reputation than us, I'm 100% sure it would be given.
That doesn't make it right, and it doesn't change the argument of the challenge itself, but it would have been given.
Just the same as if a player from a big side what Berge did at Notts Forest wouldn't have been overturned.

I have some sympathy for Lutone, for sure.
I don’t go in for this bigger clubs get all the decisions crap there fans moan about decisions against them just as much as us smaller club supporters do. I think it is mainly down to the individual interpretation of the Ref on the field and yes this can be subconsciously swayed dependant on where the game is.

In this case if you look at the tackle in real time it looks a perfectly good tackle although in slow mo you can see a touch from Beyer on Morris slightly before he gets the ball. Morris doesn’t go down at this point it is only after the tackle is completed and the ball is won that he goes down.

In my opinion the touch just before getting the ball was not sufficient to warrant t a foul that said we have seen them given I guess. Whatever decision was given on field because there wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake should have stood so VAR acted perfectly. similarly if it had been given I would have expected VAR to not intervene then either.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:15 pm
I think on paper Luton Town are the weakest team we'll face all season, and the fact that we failed to regain control of the match after taking the lead is a worry. They always looked like putting one of their chances in, the only surprise was that it didn't come off a head. That said, last night was all about grinding a win out, and we did that. Quite a reaction to conceding a late equaliser to be positive from our kick off and hit them straight back.

On reflection, I also think that Luton Town's biggest strength is by far our biggest weakness - so from a relegation battle point of view it's encouraging that they didn't capitalise on that. And if they can't beat us at home then I do wonder just how many points they'll pick up this season.

I felt we weren't streetwise enough in the second half, constantly rushing passes and turning into trouble instead of just protecting the ball and taking the inevitable foul that comes - this would have relieved so much pressure at times. I also think that we're guilty of putting Trafford into situations where he has little option but to put his foot through it, and we know his long kicking isn't the most controlled or accurate. The threat is there in the final third but we really need to work on our passing which is so sloppy compared to last season, and our decision making all over the pitch. Hopefully this will come, but in the meantime it's a relief to get that first win under our belt.
Agree with a lot you say. Luton's biggest strength in the PL being they won't get tanked by other clubs, as we have already seen with Sheff Utd, and Bournemouth this year, and particularly last year. As a result Luton will be able to stay in games and from time to time nick points against the run of play (ie Everton on Saturday). I also think Trafford's kicking is a lot better than Pope, who almost side kicks his long kicks

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 pm

JarrowClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:21 pm
I don’t go in for this bigger clubs get all the decisions crap there fans moan about decisions against them just as much as us smaller club supporters do. I think it is mainly down to the individual interpretation of the Ref on the field and yes this can be subconsciously swayed dependant on where the game is.

In this case if you look at the tackle in real time it looks a perfectly good tackle although in slow mo you can see a touch from Beyer on Morris slightly before he gets the ball. Morris doesn’t go down at this point it is only after the tackle is completed and the ball is won that he goes down.

In my opinion the touch just before getting the ball was not sufficient to warrant t a foul that said we have seen them given I guess. Whatever decision was given on field because there wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake should have stood so VAR acted perfectly. similarly if it had been given I would have expected VAR to not intervene then either.
The bigger clubs don't get all the decisions. It's more that they get decisions when there's so little in it. As you explain, you think it was the correct decision as there was so little in it. No doubt if that was against Gordon or Madison who'd have been rolling around on the ground for 5 mins after it would have been given. If the ref didn't immediately give it, VAR would have.

The big clubs only really complain about it when they play other big clubs and things don't go their way, or they complain when the decision was not marginal and therefore doesn't go their way.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:51 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 pm
The bigger clubs don't get all the decisions. It's more that they get decisions when there's so little in it. As you explain, you think it was the correct decision as there was so little in it. No doubt if that was against Gordon or Madison who'd have been rolling around on the ground for 5 mins after it would have been given. If the ref didn't immediately give it, VAR would have.

The big clubs only really complain about it when they play other big clubs and things don't go their way, or they complain when the decision was not marginal and therefore doesn't go their way.
Totally agree, refs are so gullible and give consciously or subconsciously the least controversial decision in these situations ie favour the bigger club and more famous players.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:23 pm

There's only one statistic that matters: we won. Great 3 points.

I didn't enjoy it all and I think we may have lost on other occasions. Who cares? We won. Great to get up and running. Let's hope for more of the same!