Luton v Burnley.Your verdict.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Luton v Burnley.Your verdict.

Post by It Is What It Is » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:01 am

My personal verdict.
A good game. More of a Championship game than Premier League game in all honesty.
A lack of quality throughout by both teams who absolutely gave everything. Good midfield battles but definitely lacking the cutting edge until Foster had a sublime finish.
Luton equaliser sloppy defending yet again… Trafford…could he have done better? Might be a bit harsh on him but he was nowhere near the ball as it went in.
Our winner was a worldie really, very Benson type. Great strike and put game to bed.
A MASSIVE 3 points, good solid performance, things are definitely improving but our defenders and defensive tactics needs seriously looking at, at this level. You cannot afford to be indecisive and off the pace against world class strikers in this league.
Well done The Clarets, still a work in progress….but progressing very nicely.
All will be good for a mid table finish first time around under VK.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Re: Luton v Burnley.Your verdict.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:07 am

Nowt against Luton, they beat everton so that's a good thing.
must admit with the onslaught on our goal throughout the 2nd half, and being pessismistic, I almost knew they would cancel us out, but they didnt ultimately. A drab encounter brought to life by a dramatic and classy winning goal.
So the day is ours . Massive confidence boosting victory, and a vital 3 points.

Benson
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Benson » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:09 am

Good 3 points.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:14 am

At the end of the day we got the 3pts which we battled hard for and that's all that matters and takes a bit of pressure off.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:38 am

It makes a change for us to be getting a worldie as teams seem to keep doing it against us. I hope there is one in the locker at weekend :) .

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:04 am

superb win against what is probably the tallest front line the PL has ever seen. This lot did Everton on set pieces so for me it's a cracking result given our CB's are 23 and 21 !!!!
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick bfcjg elwaclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:58 am

3 pts is all that mattered

We should judge our performances, but shouldn't compare ourselves against others performances/results.

Newcastle stuffed Villa
Brighton stuffed Newcastle
Villa stuffed Brighton

Our own performances are the only ones that carry any meaning
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:03 am

My verdict is if we play like that often we will go down

With the amount of money we have spent compared to them we should be putting teams like Luton away a lot more comfortably.

But of course it doesn’t work like that

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:40 am

Good three points at a tough place to go (they peppered us last year after going down to 10 men too, and have done similar in patches against other sides too). We looked like a side that knew how desperate the three points were. The nerves kicked in and it became about winning those first three points, that’s natural. First time we relaxed a little and strung any passes together in the last 30mins was after they equalised and that saw us score our winner.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:48 am

Just when I thought why on earth did you bring in Bruun Larsen and not Trésor he goes and do that...

These are the type of goals that were flying in last season. Bit of luck bit of skill. Once these start going in and we get a couple of wins the club will be under alot less pressure.

To be honest I think it's ballsy from VK to even go get Bruun Larsen who's barely proven anything in Germany or Belgium. Then choosing him over a 20m player of the year or a French top talent like Odobert... Seems crazy but you have to give VK credit for believing in this guy. He does have a better shot technique than most of the squad. Can really blow one in with power left or right foot (he's right footed). Also a good free kick taker which we will hopefully be witness of in the future.

If even our most dubious transfers start winning us games then the guys criticizing VK's transfer policy better take it down a notch.

Also thought our defense and mostly Beyer and Cullen played an amazing game. Luton aren't a good team but they're tall and strong, bringing in Tahith Chong who was toying with his opponents made it hard for us and we had to go out of our comfort zone to fight for the win but we showed we can do that too. These are the ones you can build on.

Especially happy to see Cullen make his mark on the premier league. He had a hesitant start of the season where he was quite invisible, last games have been better for him. For me the man of the match though Beyer would deserve it too.

Amdouni brilliant start of the game then he dropped a bit. Our best player skillwise by a stretch. Needs to do more with his opportunities to score. Almost every game he could have scored a good goal. He also works hard without the ball, he's the guy who gives us creativity, finds solutions against a parked bus by going into spaces and going past players.

Foster also enjoying himself again... What a player is he becoming? At this rate he could might as well be the player who a club would pay 100m for. Perhaps within a year or 2-3. If you were to buy him now I don't think 20m would be enough. And by the end of the season it might be 50. I never thought he was technically so good and saw him more as a worker with endurance and strength and perseverance. Hats off to the coaching staff.

Berge showing his passing skills more and more. This is what I want to see of him. Using technique and strength to create space for himself and then playing a pacy ball in with his good vision. Good ball for Foster. We still haven't seen much of his good long distance shots yet.
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is COBBLE

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:51 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:04 am
it's a cracking result given our CB's are 23 and 21 !!!!
centimetres? 8-)

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:57 am

We managed a narrow win against the team that is likely to finish bottom (or certainly second bottom) of the league
They dominated our midfield in the second half when they upped the pace
We were put under heavy pressure from their set pieces yet produced very little from our own thanks to poor delivery from Brownhill
In game management from VK was indecisive - central midfield needed strengthening sooner with the addition of Cork. Instead he brought on another lightweight in Ramsey who he then had to take off when it clearly wasn't working
Koleosho is being played in the wrong position on the right and it is obviously negating his contribution
Tonight showed too many wide men make up the squad at the expense of central midfield and striker options
When all are fit we have a 30 man squad and so I doubt there will be much room for manoeuvre this Jan
If people think that win against Luton was a great result we are in for a hard winter
Sorry, but just telling it as I see it from last nights performance
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:58 am

Commy wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:38 am
It makes a change for us to be getting a worldie as teams seem to keep doing it against us. I hope there is one in the locker at weekend :) .
Hopefully for us 😀

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1753 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:11 am

Inchy wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:03 am
My verdict is if we play like that often we will go down

With the amount of money we have spent compared to them we should be putting teams like Luton away a lot more comfortably.

But of course it doesn’t work like that
Nope. West Ham looked more comfortable against them for the most part, but spent even more than us on their already talented side and only came away with a win by the same scoreline.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:20 am

"... still a work in progress..." is the most pertinent phrase in the OP's post.
It's simply going to take time for all the new players to get used to each other (to gel, if you like) and of course for VK and his staff to work out their preferred line up.
So a bit of patience is undoubtedly required.

But yes, an important morale boosting win and off we go.

UTC
This user liked this post: It Is What It Is

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:21 am

Not really fussed about the performance. The points are all that matter at this stage.

I am growing more and more concerned by our back four the more I see them but at least they are getting consistent game time to grow an understanding now.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:24 am

That was a good win last night.

They were coming off their first win and were absolutely bang up for it. They are a limited side but are a motivated lot and we were playing against the sheer force of their will ….. plus all of their crowd.

It was a pretty relentless physical test and for the most part stood up to it.

People who dismiss that as an easy three points, as a game we should be winning know nothing about football. That was possibly the toughest time to play them at home.
These 2 users liked this post: warksclaret Paulclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:24 am

We won.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:24 am

Even Stevens a quality goal from nowhere made the difference on the night, a much needed win really, you can't have barren winless stretches for so long whoever you are playing & harbour serious intentions about stopping in the division, hopefully it'll kickstart some sort of confidence & belief to get on the right side of the margins in tight games like last night.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:28 am

Our defence at the moment is simply not good enough to take on the big boys. The immediate error from kick off by Trafford was simply school boy stuff. I still think we lack a more dominant CB and that’s the area that could ultimately cost us. Great 3 points but against most other teams playing like that we’d be fodder. I’d like to see Muric back in simply because of his range of passing which could help the front lads with their pace.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:28 am

Great battling performance by the lads.
Berge, Foster & Beyer the standout performers for me, Charlie gave his all.

One thing that worries me is that Trafford isn’t commanding enough in his box. We were riding our luck when they started the areal bombardement.

Not that Muric is the greatest in that area but at least he is an imposing figure who improved a lot in that sense last year. Think he should be given a chance.

Otherwise thrilled by the result. No one should doubt that this team has been smartly upgraded in the summer and is miles better than last season

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:35 am

Was always going to be a tough game. Very much like last season.

Great win, worry about the performance second half at some other time.

Really good, measured and fair summation by Rob Edwards on the BBC website. I like that guy a lot.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:41 am

We won the game and after the first half performance could have been out of sight. The fact we were able to battle so hard in the second half when the inevitable pressure game was a positive, the pressure on us last night was huge.
9 wins and 9 draws needed from 31 games to get to 40 points

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:44 am

Watching from TV I didn't enjoy the game, too much pressure, everybody was saying our season starts here. Defeat would have been a real demoraliser for the team and the fans. You could see the equaliser coming in the 2nd half, doubt we can defend a 1-0 lead like a Dyche team our best form of defence is attack.
Thought they dragged us into a Championship style battle and brought us down to their level. It wasn't the free flowing possession based game we have become used to watching under VK.
Loved the result lets hope we can build on it
This user liked this post: longsidepies

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:48 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:58 am
3 pts is all that mattered

We should judge our performances, but shouldn't compare ourselves against others performances/results.

Newcastle stuffed Villa
Brighton stuffed Newcastle
Villa stuffed Brighton

Our own performances are the only ones that carry any meaning
In each case quoted the stuffer was at home, and it seems less likely that the stuffee would have been stuffed at home.
We are presently in crystal palace mode having picked up all our points away. That said, we haven't had a home game against anyone in the top half and have 4 from 6 against those that are.
The real test is what we will do against the other relegation candidates.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:50 am

Young inexperienced team, desperate for a win, go to a tough place to go, against a team that are the kind of team we are least comfortable against (everyone on here constantly bangs on about set pieces etc) and gets the win the desperately needed by getting their hands dirty and mucking in.

You can dissect it and over analyse it however you want but it’s job done, a start and a springboard for the rest of the season.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:54 am

And nobody has mentioned Al-Dakhil. Responsible together with Trafford for the equaliser in my opinion. I’ve been watching him closely and he is not impressive. He not good enough to handle Premier League Strikers.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 am

They dragged us into a battle like we used to play against teams in and around us under Dyche and we fell into their trap, but the result was all that mattered. The midfield turned up and played much better than any other game this season with Cullen and Berge being particularly impressive. Beyer was an absolute rock yesterday at the back and we didn’t have any passengers. Many teams of a higher quality than us will come unstuck at “the Kenny” this season so I don’t think we can understate what a great result this was.

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 am

From Luton's perspective this was a real opportunity, a win away at Everton with points against us and the world is a sunnier place.

3 points be it from a Barca masterclass or shoddy drunken bar brawl, it doesn't matter. It moves us up the table and more importantly those teans above us can't write us off. The likes of Everton need to be brought into a relegation scrap, we can't have three teans at the bottom cut astray as it keeps those above us sweating.

With a misfiring Chelsea at home next there is an opportunity, none of this 'big 6 so it doesn't matter' attitude. If you work on that premise a third of our season is effectively 'free hits'. Utd don't look so much of a big 6 team now do they?

As for personnel, it's a tricky call. Keep the same team or rotate? I can see Cork for Brownhill as an option. Others cite the keeper needing to be changed but if you spend a lot on a young keeper you need to play him otherwise he doesn't get match experience. Ironically it's what Muric could have done with.

Most important though is that we have 3 points, wonders done for morale and moves us up the table.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 am

Trafford. Somebody needs to cut that invisible thread between his jersey and the back of the net. He wears concrete boots when we face a corner. I know we’ve been blessed with Heaton and Pope but this lad is miles off currently. His distribution isn’t what we were led to believe either.

Koleosho. Every time he has played on the left he excites and puts a shift in. Every time he plays on the right he is meh! and lazy. Play him on the left.

Berge What a signing. We’ve been blessed.

Our away performances will keep us up. Second half was sloppy but having the HT lead changed the game. They went all out and we defended well, Trafford didn’t make one save that the wife couldn’t have made.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret It Is What It Is It Is What It Is

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 am

A welcome three points but -
Koleosho is totally wasted on the right
Andouni is totally wasted on the left and needs to play centrally
We abandoned our style and didn’t pass out from the back
Our midfield, all played well but we were overrun in the 2nd half
Kompany got selection and tactics wrong
Luton really deserved to win - they had a penalty and one cleared off the line
It was the worst we’ve played for a long time

But

Our goals were superb and we won

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 am

From the Luton message board

The bar wasn't very high, but Loudest fans by far this season, no mean feat on a Tuesday night trek to paradise, fair play to them.Survived the Alfie Doughty Alamo second half and then herring muncher scored a worldie and that koleosho was a right pain in the ass.

A lot of disappointment among their fans after the Lord Mayor’s show at Goodison
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 am

Contrasting styles and these days we're very much in the "football" camp and on the day it was "football" (and the better team) which won out. Luton are strong and athletic and play to their strengths and it will definitely bring them some joy against some teams this season. We coped with the threat extremely well and the difference in the way the two teams play was basically encapsulated in the goals as they scored a "Burnley under Dyche" type goal and we scored two belters which I honestly don't think Luton are capable of scoring. It did feel a bit like a championship game tbf and not many teams from the PL will be fearing either of us after watching that, but we're definitely improving and playing some great football with increasing confidence which bodes well going forward. We're also defending far better, but were very lucky to get away with some awful defending at corners yet again and better teams will punish us. We also should have been comfortable at about 3-0 up by half time and need to be more clinical.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:07 am

First half domination and should have been more than a goal up. We need to be more clinical.

Second half they came at us with everything. It was all power play - corners, free kicks and long throws. We stood up to it reasonably well.

Any win away from home in the PL is excellent and I think Luton will be a difficult place to go all season.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:07 am

Thought Kompany got the tactics, shape and personnel spot on. Amdouni looked good coming off the left, seems such a naturally gifted player he can play anywhere. Koleosho was fun again if not a bit wasteful in promising positions. Felt it was a thoroughly deserved win over the 90 minutes after a really strong first half. Luton are a good side at home and that ground is not easy to play football at.

As an aside it was great to be there and see all the fans fully behind the team with zero negativity noticeable.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:13 am

That style of football Luton played last night would trouble a lot of teams, horrible to watch launched into the box from everywhere. Our midfield were by passed but when we got the ball they bludgeoned into us and forced errors. Need more composure,more height and better game management. Great result though in our mini survival league plus lots for the manager and coaches to work on.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:31 am

If we could shoot straight we could have been out of sight by half time. Luton drew us into playing to their strength, not allowing us to play out from the back and forcing us to go long, straight down the throat of their Haarlem Globetrotter style players. Taylor was great defensively but stifled any momentum we had going forwards on the left. As mentioned, for the second game in a row got to question AAD for their goal, allowed the forward to turn far too easily. I hope Foster was just knackered and not injured when he went off.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:43 am

thought we looked decent first half, shocking second half, we cant deal with that direct style.

was clinging on to my seat.

good result, well done clarets. UTC

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:44 am

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:13 am
That style of football Luton played last night would trouble a lot of teams
worth noting this. Luton were extremely physical all over the pitch last night. Their remit was to be aggressive and try and disrupt our fluidity, and as we tired second half it began to work, especially after they brought on Adebayo I knew it was going to be an onslaught into the box every time they could. It almost worked had it not been for a moment of magic from JBL (not a worldie though, other teams wont allow the space for that to happen).

Overall, feeling that we did well to get 3 points and it should give our young players the taste of winning they desperately needed.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:45 am

Worst performance of the season in many respects, but vital points. Could have been more comfortable had we taken first half chances.

On the plus side, we battled really hard, defended resolutely in the main against a very good set piece side. Showed some real steel which we’ll need to stay up this year. Got a great goal back quickly.

On to Chelsea and let’s hope it all comes together at Turf Moor!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:47 am

Luton lost 4 times last season at home, we didn't find it easy there last season either.

This season so far at home, they have lost to West Ham 1-2 and drawn with Wolves 1-1.

By all accounts we weren't brilliant last night, but some need to accept we have no divine right just to win a game and not many if any will find it easy there this season. I know it goes against the grain for some but just enjoy the 3 points.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3805 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:50 am

Luton are a horrible side at home, launch it non stop with two giants upfront. Last season we were absolutely hanging on against their 10 men and fortunate to win with a handball penalty. They’re a much bigger side than us and their style was always going to give us problems but we stood up well and showed real effort, fight and gave everything physically to get over the line. Proper character.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:52 am

I mentioned in the match thread that Luton’s Corner delivery other than the last one they had, which was an utter waste, was just absolutely fantastic. All of them had my arse nipping and they caused so much chaos. I’d love one of our players to be able to deliver balls in like that.

I feel people are being unnecessarily harsh on our quality. Luton wanted a fight, they gave us one. We went away to a tough place, low on confidence, and we’ve managed to pull a win out of the bag. Yes we almost threw it away, but we didn’t. It’s Luton coming out of the game worrying and complaining that they should be beating teams like Burnley to stay up. There were very little battling character on display V Newcastle and last night it was there for all to see.

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am

Good first half, fortunate second half to get the win. Luton put a shift in and we just about stood up to it. We're still only playing well in patches and seems there's still quite a lot of tinkering and working the best side/tactics out yet. That said, you've got to be pleased with 3 points away and hopefully it'll give them some confidence

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:08 am

Good to get the first win on the board but we're going to have to be better than we were in that second half if we're going to get many more of them.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:09 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:54 am
And nobody has mentioned Al-Dakhil. Responsible together with Trafford for the equaliser in my opinion. I’ve been watching him closely and he is not impressive. He not good enough to handle Premier League Strikers.
You better get in touch with Vinnie and let him know.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:19 am

Not sure how anyone could say Luton deserved to win tbh. Good control in the first half with not too many chances but a pleasure to watch. Second half we tired and we looked light at the bank against the land of giants. Great response to the equaliser and a fully deserved win. Onwards and upwards as I think as proved last season playing Luton does not fully suit our style. Therefore, I see us having some more comfortable points against teams that our style suits.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:20 am

For me a couple of things stand out.

Traffords distribution is poor especially when under any pressure at all, and he seems rooted to the line on corners.

We need Ekdal for games like this.

Our midfield isn’t good enough to hold onto the ball. Berge is great on the turn driving forward and picking out a pass, Cullens positional and defensive work last night was exceptional and Brownhill just runs with little quality he isn’t good enough we need to replace him with a real enforcer to compliment Cullen.

Our forward play is much better with Foster up too he should really have had 4 goals in the league by now. What ever happened over the summer he has turned beast mode on.

Was a good win but we made hard work out of it. With a bit more composure in the middle of the park
We should have kept them at arms length all night.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:24 am

Confirmed what I think over the first matches of the season.
VK doesn't have a game plan. He has a game approach which is to put players on the field who can fulfill a specific role, trust in their talent and tactical instincts.
Bruun, Foster, Kolesho, Beyer, Taylor, Cullen and Berge all showed these traits. Amoundini has a confidence problem can't shoot when required, Brownhill doesn't know his role. Roberts is dithering between full back and wing back.
I am not saying this is a bad approach but I still think VK is experimenting trying to find the players that fit into this fluid system.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:34 am

I think it was a conscious decision to put Koleosho on the right, their rightback Kaboré is one of the fastest rightbacks I've seen. Kompany knows him from when he was playing for KV Mechelen and he kept Jeremy Doku out of the game, Doku who was breaking defenders ankles at that time and they usually had to get subbed with cramps after 70 minutes. Kaboré didn't let him pass one time. So good decision to not have the same thing happen to Koleosho and try to play him from the other side while having Amdouni toy with him with his dribbles and handling of the ball.