I miss you

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

I miss you

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:45 am

Over the years, I have been amazed by the brilliant responses to people having a mental health crisis.
Whilst not right now, I have in the past been at very low points with depression.
One of the ways I was helped by a counsellor, was to write about somebody I missed. It can be anybody, human, animal, lost by death, or any other reason.
So thought maybe may help anyone if though mental health or just any other reason.

I miss my dad. Derek was born in Burnley in 1939, in Polard Street.
He joined the armed forces, aged just 17, and never returned to Burnley to live again.
He eventually married my mother and settled in her native Cambridge.
He led largely unremarkable life, by many a standard, but was loyal, funny, kind and in my eyes a brilliant man.
Sadly in 2006 he got pancreatic cancer, and died.
I miss him everyday, he loved the clarets, and when we got promoted at Wembley, I cried my eyes out, knowing he was not there to share that great moment .
Thank you for reading. And if this helps anyone, or raises a smile, fantastic. If I have bored you, my apologies!
These 30 users liked this post: CleggHall JohnMac DCWat Rowls bfcjg Mayoclaret PaintYorkClaretnBlue longsidepies ArmchairDetective DAVETHEVICAR ClaretTony IanMcL theonlywayisup Wo Didi Darnhill Claret Cubanforever Lowbankclaret Rick_Muller Jjjack SurreyClaret99 Silkyskills1 Gnulty Stalbansclaret Tricky Trevor Wo Didi LDNBFC87 Pearcey whiffa Lip Leisure

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1051 times

Re: I miss you

Post by CleggHall » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:47 am

A nice post Tom.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 556 times

Post by Fretters » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:48 am

Great post, thanks for sharing that. I disagree, though. Any life that involves fighting for your country, especially at 17, is remarkable!
These 2 users liked this post: Mayoclaret TomtheClaret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:51 am

Great post Tom. Loved ones never leave our hearts.
This user liked this post: TomtheClaret

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:55 am

Fretters wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:48 am
Great post, thanks for sharing that. I disagree, though. Any life that involves fighting for your country, especially at 17, is remarkable!
In that respect yes. Three tours of Northern Ireland by time he left in 1979, 23 years served
Finished as a sergeant.
These 2 users liked this post: Fretters Mayoclaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm

Well done Tom. You’ve not bored us I can assure you. It’s lovely to have someone to think about and write about them too.
I’m sure your Dad will be very proud of you and he too will be looking down on his son. We lost are only grandchild 3 years ago at 11 months, believe me there’s not a day goes by that we don’t think about him, it helps us get through the day, so you keep writing about your happy memories, it will help you enormously.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:33 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm
Well done Tom. You’ve not bored us I can assure you. It’s lovely to have someone to think about and write about them too.
I’m sure your Dad will be very proud of you and he too will be looking down on his son. We lost are only grandchild 3 years ago at 11 months, believe me there’s not a day goes by that we don’t think about him, it helps us get through the day, so you keep writing about your happy memories, it will help you enormously.
That’s awful Beddie, my heart goes out to you. Having grandchildren myself I can only imagine the pain that you went through and no doubt continue to go through.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 764 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:54 pm

I was going to write about how much I miss my brother but as usual I cried too hard to even get started. I know it would help to do so, so please do as TomtheClaret advises and share your grief
These 6 users liked this post: TomtheClaret beddie Wo Didi Cubanforever Jjjack Jellybean

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:03 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm
So sorry to hear that. That’s awful.

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:09 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:54 pm
I was going to write about how much I miss my brother but as usual I cried too hard to even get started. I know it would help to do so, so please do as TomtheClaret advises and share your grief
First steps are hardest. I won’t tell you it gets any easier. But I hope you find peace of mind, and can can remember him with happiness!
This user liked this post: morpheus2

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Tom,

I’m glad you’ve posted this. It’s a great thing to do. I’m also pleased you’ve sought help for a counsellor. The stigma around mental health is slowly being eroded but it requires a lot more further work and acceptance from others. I had 6 sessions of counselling provided to me from work when I had an incredible amount of crappy stuff going on…some stuff relating to work; other bits external. Following the six sessions, I continued privately for another 18 months…the sessions only stopped due to my therapist having to take time off for long-term cancer treatment. I was given lots of good suggestions that helped and I’m glad you’ve found something that helps. Take care and keep tapping into the UTC community 👍🏻💜
These 4 users liked this post: beddie TomtheClaret bfcjg Cubanforever

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Well done Tom it helped me

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:16 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:54 pm
We all miss the Dr,a top man. 😢
This user liked this post: morpheus2

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:20 pm

TomtheClaret wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:45 am
Over the years, I have been amazed by the brilliant responses to people having a mental health crisis.
Whilst not right now, I have in the past been at very low points with depression.
One of the ways I was helped by a counsellor, was to write about somebody I missed. It can be anybody, human, animal, lost by death, or any other reason.
So thought maybe may help anyone if though mental health or just any other reason.

I miss my dad. Derek was born in Burnley in 1939, in Polard Street.
He joined the armed forces, aged just 17, and never returned to Burnley to live again.
He eventually married my mother and settled in her native Cambridge.
He led largely unremarkable life, by many a standard, but was loyal, funny, kind and in my eyes a brilliant man.
Sadly in 2006 he got pancreatic cancer, and died.
I miss him everyday, he loved the clarets, and when we got promoted at Wembley, I cried my eyes out, knowing he was not there to share that great moment .
Thank you for reading. And if this helps anyone, or raises a smile, fantastic. If I have bored you, my apologies!
Well I don't know if this response is appropriate or not. I'm not suffering mental health problems and until now never have. It may or may not help anyone.

I hardly knew my father. He died when I was seven (along with four others, also family men with children) in an RAF plane crash. I mention this, not because I want sympathy or other help, nor to belittle you, but to point out that if you knew your father for whatever number of years I'd say you were pretty fortunate (if he was a good father of course, which you imply he was).

Around fifty years after the crash, through the remarkable reach of the internet, I was able to get in touch with the other families that had suffered from the accident. It was quite interesting. One daughter had had a series of mental breakdowns, and her son was having the same. The son of the pilot didn't want to contact us (his father was blamed for the crash but it was just an accident really). The son of the co-pilot who was flying the plane threw himself into conspiracy theories around the crash, presumably to deflect any blame from his father. Another mother had decided that it was best to remarry quickly so she married her late husband's best friend. It was a disaster and they split as soon as the children left school (this was 1960 and it was tough for any single female parent at that time - no chance of a mortgage, people often antagonistic, as we found out). It turned out I was really lucky in that I had a highly competent mother. She saw clearly the solution to the problems that arose and acted accordingly. I don't say I didn't suffer but the three of us boys (one mentally handicapped) didn't do too badly.

I do often wonder what would have become of me had the crash not happened. I wonder but that's all.

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:38 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:20 pm
Well I don't know if this response is appropriate or not. I'm not suffering mental health problems and until now never have. It may or may not help anyone.

I hardly knew my father. He died when I was seven (along with four others, also family men with children) in an RAF plane crash. I mention this, not because I want sympathy or other help, nor to belittle you, but to point out that if you knew your father for whatever number of years I'd say you were pretty fortunate (if he was a good father of course, which you imply he was).

Around fifty years after the crash, through the remarkable reach of the internet, I was able to get in touch with the other families that had suffered from the accident. It was quite interesting. One daughter had had a series of mental breakdowns, and her son was having the same. The son of the pilot didn't want to contact us (his father was blamed for the crash but it was just an accident really). The son of the co-pilot who was flying the plane threw himself into conspiracy theories around the crash, presumably to deflect any blame from his father. Another mother had decided that it was best to remarry quickly so she married her late husband's best friend. It was a disaster and they split as soon as the children left school (this was 1960 and it was tough for any single female parent at that time - no chance of a mortgage, people often antagonistic, as we found out). It turned out I was really lucky in that I had a highly competent mother. She saw clearly the solution to the problems that arose and acted accordingly. I don't say I didn't suffer but the three of us boys (one mentally handicapped) didn't do too badly.

I do often wonder what would have become of me had the crash not happened. I wonder but that's all.
I think any response is appropriate.
It may help you, someone else or nobody at all.
The fact you took the time to respond is appreciated.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 820 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:14 pm

My wife died just under 3 years ago and although I can just about talk about her without breaking down in uncontrollable tears I still have to fight them back. I don’t class myself out of the dark woods yet, and sometimes wish the earth would swallow me up to be with her as it’s like loosing half of you, but it’s getting more controllable. So totally get where you are coming from, and good for you mate, well done 👍
These 7 users liked this post: Cubanforever TomtheClaret beddie morpheus2 Jjjack Stalbansclaret Jellybean

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:50 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:14 pm
My wife died just under 3 years ago and although I can just about talk about her without breaking down in uncontrollable tears I still have to fight them back. I don’t class myself out of the dark woods yet, and sometimes wish the earth would swallow me up to be with her as it’s like loosing half of you, but it’s getting more controllable. So totally get where you are coming from, and good for you mate, well done 👍
Sorry for your loss,ClaretAl

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:54 pm

The mixed web of families. It’s always hard and all of us have mental health issues. Some just don’t acknowledge it.
I didn’t till I ended up in hospital.
Hipper mentions his father who he hardly knew.
Mine, well some on here know him, he was a PE teacher at BRGS. Strange man, left when I was 15.

Never really spoke to me again, never knew why.
I did hope he would tell me before he died.
About 3 months ago my Uncle, great chap, emailed me to say he was terminal with cancer.
Peter and I messaged regularly about Burnley FC. He was living in the Philippines and after each match we would send messages. He died suddenly 4 days after saying my dad was terminal. We watched his funeral, all 5 hours on Facebook live.

My step mum emailed to say she would keep me informed, then went silent for weeks.

I did send an email saying if my dad wanted me to visit I would go see him. They lived in Thurso.

No reply.
I got an email 4 weeks ago.
It said “your dad passed last night, no funeral, no one invited. Just going to be cremated with no one there.

Funny sod to the last.

Now my mum has had a fall, in hospital and a nurse has basically assaulted her.
The day nurses have raised a complaint against the nurse involved. Bless her she is in hospital and scared and I don’t know how to protect her.

Just hoping Rossendale house will accept her tomorrow and I can get her out.

2023 has been crap.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:15 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:54 pm
The mixed web of families. It’s always hard and all of us have mental health issues. Some just don’t acknowledge it.
I didn’t till I ended up in hospital.
Hipper mentions his father who he hardly knew.
Mine, well some on here know him, he was a PE teacher at BRGS. Strange man, left when I was 15.

Never really spoke to me again, never knew why.
I did hope he would tell me before he died.
About 3 months ago my Uncle, great chap, emailed me to say he was terminal with cancer.
Peter and I messaged regularly about Burnley FC. He was living in the Philippines and after each match we would send messages. He died suddenly 4 days after saying my dad was terminal. We watched his funeral, all 5 hours on Facebook live.

My step mum emailed to say she would keep me informed, then went silent for weeks.

I did send an email saying if my dad wanted me to visit I would go see him. They lived in Thurso.

No reply.
I got an email 4 weeks ago.
It said “your dad passed last night, no funeral, no one invited. Just going to be cremated with no one there.

Funny sod to the last.

Now my mum has had a fall, in hospital and a nurse has basically assaulted her.
The day nurses have raised a complaint against the nurse involved. Bless her she is in hospital and scared and I don’t know how to protect her.

Just hoping Rossendale house will accept her tomorrow and I can get her out.

2023 has been crap.
A lot to deal with, I've been hit with a few bombs from when my brother died at the start of lockdown to now and sometimes wonder how I'm still going but I am and I will....stick in there Lowbank, times a healer I know that much

TomtheClaret

Post by TomtheClaret » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:00 pm

Weird to think you have gone Darren. We grew up together as cousins, but because of being 8 months apart, in age, and our "Mums childcare system" we were more like brothers growing up. We shared our first legal beer, and that vile illegal thunderbird drink at the park.
As young adults our lifes went different ways, but when we saw each other out and family events we laughed, enjoyed a chat.
I cant believe we said goodbye to you today. Aged just 50. Another one gone to the bast ard cancer.
Kind of ironic the day of your cremation my beloved Burnley, play your beloved City. Two lads growing up down south, we had to defend our teams against wannabe scousers (Verbally) Remember though Leighton James was better than Joe Corrigan!
I will miss you pal, Rip Stew Pot

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:18 pm

Great to see people come on here and tell us all how it is as i am sure it helps other people to know they are not alone .

Well done Tom .

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:49 pm

Brilliant post. Thank you for sharing. Therapy can be hugely powerful - I encourage everybody to give it a go at some point. We have regular check ups at the doctors and dentists, why not for our brain?
This user liked this post: beddie

Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by 1882 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:00 pm

Another advocate for therapy here. I was in the "what's the point of telling a stranger, I need to suck it up" camp, until I hit the bottom. Therapy gave me clarity and gave me tools to focus my grief. For anyone local to Burnley and lost someone to cancer I recommend contacting Pendleside hospice, they were fantastic and helped me no end.
These 2 users liked this post: beddie LDNBFC87

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2981 times
Has Liked: 2079 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:24 pm

How timely that this post is bumped on the exact day that my dad died,
aged 93, three years ago.

Love and miss him so much.

My mum followed him 4 days later, aged 91, on 4th Feb after 71 years of a very happy marriage.
Miss her so much too.

How's that for timing ?

Part of life I'm afraid and my sister, 2 girls and 3 granchildren helped see me through it.

Good luck and best wishes to anyone going through the same experience.
Remember, above all things, it's good to talk and there's plenty of people out there to talk to.