How do we salvage?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

How do we salvage?

Post by DanH90 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:25 pm

Was wondering if anyone could actually diagnose what our main issue is and come up with a sensible solution that may get us out of this mess, people get carried away and come up with lots of theories as to what the issues are. There clearly are multiple issues but was wondering what people felt might be the one or two changes that give us a fighting chance, as we are running out of time.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Re: How do we salvage?

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 pm

29 games to go...running out of time?
😂

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 pm
😂
Come on pal admit it, we are down......remember Sheffield United running away with it in September last year ? 😉
This user liked this post: CHEWBACCA

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:41 pm

Appoint ABlueClaret with Pstotto as his assistant
This user liked this post: HandforthClaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm
Come on pal admit it, we are down......remember Sheffield United running away with it in September last year ? 😉
Yep remember it well the same bedwetting crew are calling for Kompany's head tonight...we all know who they are🤣
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:47 pm

Berge as an attacking mid
Tresor from the left, guy got 24 assists from the left last season and is being played on the right
Zaroury back in the team
Get Ekdal and Beyer fit and playing together

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:51 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:47 pm
Tresor from the left, guy got 24 assists from the left last season and is being played on the right
Zaroury back in the team
Zaroury left full back and Tresor left wing then? ;)

I would like to see Tresor on the left wing for a run of games.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:53 pm

Double pivot

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:53 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:51 pm

Larsen on the right to

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:00 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:53 pm
Larsen on the right to
Would you drop Amdouni?

Tresor, Andouni and Brun-Larsen doesn’t give us much defensively. Cullen/Brownhill or Cullen/Berge doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:10 pm

DCWat wrote:

From what I’ve seen so far I’d prefer Tresor on the bench. We have a decent left winger who did ok last season who Kompany seems to have forgotten about!

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:12 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:00 pm
Would you drop Amdouni?

Tresor, Andouni and Brun-Larsen doesn’t give us much defensively. Cullen/Brownhill or Cullen/Berge doesn’t seem to be the answer.
Right now I would have to drop Amdouni to have 3 proper midfielders, no doubting Amdounis talent but it’s not working with him being the 3rd midfielder
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:18 pm

DCWat wrote:

I actually wouldn’t mind if Tresor wasn’t even in the match day squad for a run of games.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:24 pm

——————————-Trafford
—O’Shea—-Al-Dakhil—Delcroix——-Taylor
———————-—Cullen—Cork
Berge——————Brownhill————Zaroury
———————————Foster

O’Shea played right back in one of the pre season games and looked OK there. With Roberts suspended, try it? He’s playing terribly at centre back at the moment. Berge is offering very little centrally, he’s shown he can maraud down the right so let’s play him as a right sided midfielder/narrow wide man who can move into the middle to stiffen us up. Zaroury is a no brainer as the rest are offering nothing.

I’d far, far rather start with this more ‘conservative’ line up and stay in a game till the last 20/30 min and then try the likes of Amdouni. We need to be solid and resolute. Massengo on the bench to switch for Cork when he inevitable tires.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:28 pm

A defensive line at this level of Trafford, O’Shea Al Dakhill and Delcroix fill me with utter dread.

We can only pray Beyer and Ekdal are back next Saturday.
These 2 users liked this post: Superjohnnyfrancis k90bfc

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:32 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:28 pm
A defensive line at this level of Trafford, O’Shea Al Dakhill and Delcroix fill me with utter dread.

Spot on they all need dropping but we haven’t got anyone else to come in. Need a new defence in January please Alan.

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:46 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 pm
😂
You may laugh, but I think it’s fairly evident to most Burnley fans with an ounce of footballing nous that what we are offering at the moment is not going to get us anywhere near, this run of 3 games (now 2) we need to get at least 6 points from or things look very difficult.

I personally think it all starts from the keeper, he looks like a boy out there and I’ve never seen someone who is apparently 6ft 5 look so small. Very similar to the Joe Hart situation, the defence just don’t trust him. His distribution is nowhere near good enough to beat the press, which we need in the PL.

Think a side with a little more fight in it is needed. I’d go for this next week (provided all are fit, which I’m sure won’t be the case)

Muric
Roberts (Vitinho next week) Beyer Ekdal Taylor
Cork Cullen
Redmond Berge Zaroury
Foster
These 3 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm k90bfc northeastclaret

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2054 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:36 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:12 pm
Right now I would have to drop Amdouni to have 3 proper midfielders, no doubting Amdounis talent but it’s not working with him being the 3rd midfielder
Agree, looks a decent player but starting him feels like a luxury we can't afford given how porous we are at the moment
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:43 pm

We rather desperately need Ekdal and Beyer in. Without them we will struggle.
Trafford was our best player today but lacks composure at the back,both with the ball and dealing with crosses or high balls. Doesn't command his area well. Muric struggled to do so at first too, so I'd give him til Ekdal/Beyer are fit, if no improvement then swap. We need a team that's more assured and less panicky at the back and who don't put each other in trouble with positioning or misplays.

Play the players who have proven their ability. Tresor is last choice, he's offered nothing. Start Larsen and either Koleosho or Zaroury, when Benson is fit bring him in. Larsen has so many all round attributes, for such a fluid team you need someone like him who can roam and exchange positions temporarily and still be effective. He could play anywhere in that front 3 or deputise up front. Similar to Gudmundsson last year.

Recall Weghorst or sign a new striker. Maybe two. Foster has been superb but we have no plan B. A big man who is either an aerial goal threat or good with his feet, gives us a legitimate alternative. The latter as the 10 behind but with more physicality than Amdouni, former as the 9 with Foster dropping behind and focusing on crossing. Too many of our wingers rely on trying to get behind then cut back, not enough can play orthodox wide crosses or effectively cut in and shoot from within 25 yards (Zaroury and Larsen can do both, Benson can cut in, Koleosho unsure, not seen signs of the others doing anything beyond try get in behind ith pace and shoot from close).

Pick players actually on form. Ramsey and Tresor would be back of the winger queue. Jay is done.

We're so set on one setup, one style, and our subs are weirdly hesitant or like for like compared to last year. Football purism is never worth it, got to be pragmatic.

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:51 pm

If I was VK I’d have had my PL 11 sorted from pre season. I’d know my first choice 11, they’d all know their jobs, they’d trust each other, they’d play for each other, and the lads waiting in the wings would buy into a system and chomping at the bit for a shirt. As it stands, we see a different 11 every week, seems there’s very little belief in one another, we concede 1 and the game seems to run away from us, there’s no grit or determination, and the lads who got us here haven’t had a sniff bar Cullen, Beyer and Roberts.

But then again that’s probably why I’m not a manager.

Muric
Vitinho Ekdal Beyer Taylor
Cork Cullen
JBL Redmond Zaroury
Foster

That team has enough backbone/game experience to at least put in a performance against Bournemouth. We all know that the changes we need won’t be made next week and we’ll be back scratching heads again this time next week.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:54 pm

We need to ditch this fixation with trying to play out from the back.

We need a few more points on the board.

At this moment in time does anyone really care how we play as long as we get a few good results?

It's almost as though going down without any fight is preferable to hoofing it up field, even if we become harder to beat.

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5540 times

Post by k90bfc » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:54 pm

Playing a youth team in the Premier League,will never ever work,how can you discard the experienced and real good players who done so well last season,Vinny keeps throwing them in at the deep end,and they cant cope,Please let common sense prevail,what all of us loyal fans can see,and bring back a proper team,at the moment we are playing suicide football,not pleasant to watch,UTC.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 pm

Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:10 pm
From what I’ve seen so far I’d prefer Tresor on the bench. We have a decent left winger who did ok last season who Kompany seems to have forgotten about!
Do you think Tresor really wants to be here? Seemed to do all he could to avoid joining us.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:58 pm

k90bfc wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:54 pm
Playing a youth team in the Premier League,will never ever work,how can you discard the experienced and real good players who done so well last season,Vinny keeps throwing them in at the deep end,and they cant cope,Please let common sense prevail,what all of us loyal fans can see,and bring back a proper team,at the moment we are playing suicide football,not pleasant to watch,UTC.
And even in the side "You don't win anything with kids" was full of experienced players.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:04 pm

Start scoring more goals than the opposition

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:20 pm

A team of mainly inexperienced young players are currently naive and need to be told sometimes it’s OK to row Z the ball when under extreme pressure in our own box. Trafford is a top keeper, but his confidence is shot, and he needs more protection from the back four. I’m all for playing it out from the back, but not when the opposition know we’re nervous, we really must shake it up a bit more and switch between slow build up and playing it out, and choosing to sometimes go long because we can - keep them guessing, not knowing. Only time we go long now is when their press forces it and we’re not ready to hold it up.

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 pm
Do you think Tresor really wants to be here? Seemed to do all he could to avoid joining us.
After today's non-existent performance, I'd have him driving the coach back, but he'd probably get lost at the first corner.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:41 pm

Not read any of the replies as I don't want to be swayed.

Tactics
We do have pace in the team, we need to evolve (in the short term) to a sit deep and counter type side. We have the players to do it.

Personell
Muric HAS to start the next game, I'm sorry but wtf was vk thinking giving an inexperienced young goalie all this responsibility

Zaroury needs a run in the side.
Berge cannot play in the dm role. We need to switch to Cork and Cullen.

Tresor should be nowhere near the squad until he gets his fitness up to scratch. We cannot afford luxuries
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:55 am

we need someone like Cork with experience to guide young lad's like Dobbo did with Phelan, Overson and Steven and laws.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:18 am

CryerBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:51 pm
If I was VK I’d have had my PL 11 sorted from pre season. I’d know my first choice 11, they’d all know their jobs, they’d trust each other, they’d play for each other, and the lads waiting in the wings would buy into a system and chomping at the bit for a shirt. As it stands, we see a different 11 every week, seems there’s very little belief in one another, we concede 1 and the game seems to run away from us, there’s no grit or determination, and the lads who got us here haven’t had a sniff bar Cullen, Beyer and Roberts.

But then again that’s probably why I’m not a manager.

Muric
Vitinho Ekdal Beyer Taylor
Cork Cullen
JBL Redmond Zaroury
Foster

That team has enough backbone/game experience to at least put in a performance against Bournemouth. We all know that the changes we need won’t be made next week and we’ll be back scratching heads again this time next week.
You’d pick 2 injured cb’s against Bournemouth?

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:39 am

We need a complete reset. Every opposition manager knows that we can't beat a good press AND that we don't have the accurate long passing to go over it. So we are literally playing into their hands regularly. If we had THB and Muric we may have been more successful with the current style.

I think we need to change tack and mix things up. In Foster, we have someone to use on the break, as again shown with the sitter we missed yesterday. We also have enough pace to play more on the break.

The only points have been when we were not losing at half time. We need to be more cautious in the first half of games, particularly as half time approaches. Generally we need to be more defense minded throughout games.

We have made serious errors in the last window and have a grossly unbalanced squad in terms of attack v defence and youth v experience. That is going to take time and money to resolve. Hopefully its not going to be fatal to our long term finances, but it does worry me.

So we need short term solutions atm.

I can't stand JT crazily being blamed by many. His passing options are all closed down by the opposition. If we are to persist with our current approach then maybe it's time to give Muric a go, but that is unlikely because of the massive investment in JT.

I think Cork needs to be starting alongside Cullen and Brownhill to play as the attacking cm.

I'd play ZA wide right, Foster up top and frankly any of the embarrassing number of wingers off the left.

The biggest problem is our defence and that can only begin to be sorted in January. If there is any money left we need to prioritise an experienced commanding cb to play next to Bayer. We then need a younger Cork to sit in the Rodri role. We also need a second central striker to come on for Foster in game. Loans will probably be needed for all some of those.

Finally, I can't think that have such a large
number of atrackers/wingers is doing much for team spirit. Some need to out on loan in January, such as Ramsey and Obebert. Whatever is going on with Anass needs sorting.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:53 am

I think one point we fail to recognise and that's how good even most of the lower tier teams are in the PL. On the way to Brentford the Everton team was given out on the radio, and I thought WOW thats a strong team, and they are one of our relegation rivals. Thats why with 10 men they did not disgrace themselves at Anfield

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:06 am

First of all this team has been shaken up and new faces installed right from the off ,that won’t go down well for moral with the lads who got us promoted . So before we’ve even started talking about tactics the dressing room is divided and friction is going to be evident.

Trafford In goal - Muric Played out so well from the back last season and is where we got our success in possession based football from . It all started from
Muric. Trafford is nowhere near as good with his feet , his touch or vision.

Full backs disjointed and exposed. Shambolic transfer window where we couldn’t add to the squad in this department. Everytime a team gets a ball wide you just know they will have a chance at goal. Not helped by wingers not tracking back (but when you play inexperienced teenagers you’ll get this)

Centre halves - too small. Looking at Brentford’s team yesterday we looked like a bunch of kids against men. No confidence on the ball at all. No idea why we pass short from
Trafford to then go to Cullen, to just go back to Trafford then he lumps it. (Usually when we are 2 or 3 down) we are just waisting our own time doing it.

Central midfield - too lightweight and too slow. If we play those two as a 2 again we will lose every game we do. Awful and exposed yet again.

Wide areas- 1 every 10 attacks we look dangerous. Get zaroury and benny back in asap. Tresor looks lost.

Those are the main areas for me. Tactically we are miles off even mid table teams like Brentford. Somethings got to give next 2 weeks

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:15 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:53 am
I think one point we fail to recognise and that's how good even most of the lower tier teams are in the PL. On the way to Brentford the Everton team was given out on the radio, and I thought WOW thats a strong team, and they are one of our relegation rivals. Thats why with 10 men they did not disgrace themselves at Anfield
Everton battered Brentford at their ground as well
This user liked this post: warksclaret

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:22 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:18 am
Like the man says, probably why he’s not a manager.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:22 am

We need a drummer
This user liked this post: Venkys4eva

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 am

Ric_C wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:15 am
Everton battered Brentford at their ground as well
In what a Brentford fan said was their only poor performance of the year and they were in a false position.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:37 pm

I wonder if we rush back players which is why we are seeing so many injuries. Either that or we have a few that go down with the slightest obvious challenge or knock ie Beyer, Benson, JBG, Rodriguez,Zarourry and a few others

I know we were at the other extreme with Dyche, and if you got injured it was weeks of "touch and go", or "he is now on the grass" and eventually you came back. They were saying yesterday how well he has managed the Calvert Lewin injury, who is now back to full fitness

I am not making comparisons or judgements with SD before some know all jumps at me-simply saying it appears we get players back very quickly once over their injury in comparison

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:54 pm

kaptin1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:22 am
We need a drummer
:lol: this ⬆️

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:01 pm

We need to shore up the defence, and then build on it.
Sadly atm we look incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

1. Stop tinkering with the defence.

2. imo bring back Muric

3. Play 3 in midfield

It might not solve the problems but at least it would give us a better chance. We're lambs to the slaughter if vk doesn't change it.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 851 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:03 pm

Who wants a drummer
Can Ringo Starr play in midfield
Doubled up with Phil Collins

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:49 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:47 pm
Zaroury back in the team
You forgot to change the goalie!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:55 pm

Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:28 pm

You can add Taylor and Roberts in that too, the pair of them have been absolutely awful all season long.

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:35 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:18 am
50% fit they do a better job than those did yesterday.

No one knows how far either are away from playing, just like earlier in the season when Beyer randomly appeared back in the starting line up.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:40 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:49 pm
You forgot to change the goalie!
It’s the only position I don’t see changing, Trafford and Foster. Id have muric in every day of the week but just don’t see it, that’s why I’ve left him off

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:42 pm

CryerBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:35 pm
50% fit they do a better job than those did yesterday.

No one knows how far either are away from playing, just like earlier in the season when Beyer randomly appeared back in the starting line up.
Was mentioned recently that Beyer is about 5/6 weeks and Ekdal less.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:46 pm

The problem lies in the way our opponents are making us play.
They are pressing the goalie knowing they will gain possession from a long ball. We just aren't strong or expirenced enough for long balls.
We are a passing out from the back team. Go back to how we coach the team.
The personal is what it is. Put Muric back in, the back 4 is whoever is available, an expirenced midfield of Cullen, Cork, Berge & JBG or Redmond who know how to buy a foul when under pressure. Play with one winger & Foster.
We are looking for 1 nils not scoring 3 or 4 each game.
And VK should tell Pace forget the shop window for the next 10 games or so.

CryerBFC

Post by CryerBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:50 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:42 pm
Was mentioned recently that Beyer is about 5/6 weeks and Ekdal less.
Well read.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1301 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:55 pm

We need to stop rewarding failure and have the guts to drop most of this team and replace with those that gave us the success last season. I am wondering whether VK is nervous about dropping the players who he has brought in for all the millions invested by the board. We need experience and bodies in midfield so they can receive the ball a lot quicker from instead of constantly fannying about between the goalkeeper and central defenders. And for crying out loud start defending.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:02 pm

Next series of Mission to Burnley will be interesting