Bournemouth v Burnley MATCH THREAD

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6392 times
Has Liked: 8749 times

Re: Bournemouth v Burnley MATCH THREAD

Post by IanMcL » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:10 pm

Robbed of a draw but not a very good display.

RHansburyEsq
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by RHansburyEsq » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:11 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:06 pm
By the way, it’s absolutely ******* cretinous that people are calling for Kompany’s head after ten games at a higher level after the season we’ve just had.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see the problems, do you really think he’s unaware of them himself? No one is happy with the situation but he’s earnt the right to fix it.
I don’t disagree but I don’t think we are too far off being in a situation where Pace & co could well think they have nothing to lose by twisting to try and protect their investment. A lot will depend on the mood behind the scenes

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:11 pm

We are human beings. No ability to work out whether our extremities are a millimetre too far forward before making a move.
Tired of this VAR nonsense. There needs to be some recognition of attacking intent. A millimetre or two is just a ridiculous marker.

The whole league should stand against it. I would love to see a movement that calls for supporters to vote with their feet against it. It's extreme. It won't happen, but I do so wish it could.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

GeorgeBoydsHeadBand
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by GeorgeBoydsHeadBand » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:11 pm

Lack of leaders in that team, lack of desire, commitment or effort. On that and the previous performances, only one thing I can see happening is we are heading back to the championship. I never thought I would say that after only playing 10 games.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:11 pm

My question is how could the Lino give it offside with the naked eye at full speed yet VAR took 5 mins to come up with 2 different answers
The Premier League is now morally bankrupt

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1227 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:13 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:08 pm
Battered by a team without a win all season, following the last 2 games, says everything about this team.
It's hopeless.

We do have good players, but we have a crap team. A lot of that has to be laid at VKs door. He's had plenty of opportunity to change us, but instead has stuck with the same rudderless shite.
We are going down now, not because we lost today, but because our performances are just nowhere near good enough. Even losing to Spurs and Villa there were signs of possibilities, but that's gone. I'm so ****** off right now.
We saw it coming a mile off. Performances against the likes of Spurs and Villa were way, way, way below what is required. People were seduced and blinded by the fact the oppositions are good sides. "Freehit", "We've had a tough run", "Mini league" etc etc etc. There's been next to nothing - tactically, physically or mentally - against the good sides, the average sides, or the bad sides.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2037 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:13 pm

Think Larsson and Redmond have to start next game. The players playing instead have their confidence shot to bits and are looking for the least risky option almost every time meaning it goes backwards. Need those who still have an inkling of confidence in their abilities to take on a man or try a more attacking mind set decision on the pitch rather than on the bench.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Goody1975
Been Liked: 996 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Teams set traps when pressing, most sides don't have to do any homework as we are more than capable of setting the traps for ourselves.

Countless times we play stupid short passes in our own half (unnecessary ones) that cause the majority of issues, we can go from looking forwards ten yards from the half way line to the ball with Trafford under pressure within five seconds. It happens time and again.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Var decision is taking the heat off Trafford. How many games has Muric played this season and how many goals has he conceded ? I just wish VK had the balls to at least tell the fans why Muric has never played a PL game this season

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:15 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:07 pm
How long do you give it?
I’d quite happily give him till the end of the season personally, yourself?

I couldn’t imagine being the sort of fan that lords it over everyone else, sings songs about loving their gaffer, engages in talk about the best Champ team we’ve ever seen, bragging rights over all our local rivals especially at a time when a sizeable portion of our fans had us pegged us to free fall through the league only to turn on him ten games into a season.

Then you’ve got these same fans blasting and booing the likes of Maatsen for not wanting to come back. The modern fan expects blind loyalty, won’t show any in return and expects immediate gratification. It’s grim. Manage your expectations and emotions better.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Darnhill Claret

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:15 pm

The worst Burnley side I've seen in the PL. We look truly hopeless. Weak in every area of the pitch. The really worrying thing is we look so badly coached and utterly bereft of any tactical plan.
These 2 users liked this post: Pickles jojomk1

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:15 pm

There's something strange going on at BFC. I don't know what but there's something happening that we fans aren't being told.
This user liked this post: Carwin261

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:16 pm

Foshiznik wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:13 pm
Think Larsson and Redmond have to start next game. The players playing instead have their confidence shot to bits and are looking for the least risky option almost every time meaning it goes backwards. Need those who still have an inkling of confidence in their abilities to take on a man or try a more attacking mind set decision on the pitch rather than on the bench.
Both have looked very bright every time they have featured. Just dont let me see JBG or Vitinho in that starting 11. Neither up to the PL

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:17 pm

We look very slow
Brentford and Bournemouth never let us settle on the ball
Always put us under pressure
Deservedly lost both these games

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:19 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:15 pm
I’d quite happily give him till the end of the season personally, yourself?

I couldn’t imagine being the sort of fan that lords it over everyone else, sings songs about loving their gaffer, engages in talk about the best Champ team we’ve ever seen, bragging rights over all our local rivals especially at a time when a sizeable portion of our fans had us pegged us to free fall through the league only to turn on him ten games into a season.

Then you’ve got these same fans blasting and booing the likes of Maatsen for not wanting to come back. The modern fan expects blind loyalty, won’t show any in return and expects immediate gratification. It’s grim. Manage your expectations and emotions better.
We've spent around 100 million and we're going backwards.

That seriously worries me. The buck stops with the manager.

jos
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by jos » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:21 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:01 pm
Not sure where Burnley go from here
Down

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

Foshiznik wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:13 pm
Agree

Lets have the lads on the pitch that have actually played football regularly at a high level.

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

BigGaz wrote:
By the way, it’s absolutely ******* cretinous that people are calling for Kompany’s head after ten games at a higher level after the season we’ve just had.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see the problems, do you really think he’s unaware of them himself? No one is happy with the situation but he’s earnt the right to fix it.
Of course he can see it but he has built this side, and we are not improving. We don't even look like winning a game right now. There is only so long you can wait before making a decision if you want to turn things around. VK earns a lot of money and has spent far more than any previous manager has to create his team. I would be very surprised if the board are not discussing options.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:23 pm

VAR was introduced to correct “clear and obvious errors “.

Nottingham Forest - goal awarded by on-field officials but (incorrectly imo) ruled out by VAR. BFC denied a win.
Bournemouth - goal ruled out by on-field officials but (doubtfully imo) upheld by VAR. BFC denied a draw.

What is the point of VAR ?????

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:24 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:11 pm
My question is how could the Lino give it offside with the naked eye at full speed yet VAR took 5 mins to come up with 2 different answers
The Premier League is now morally bankrupt
The lino has to give a decision one way or the other - right or wrong

The fact remains we got nothing and truthfully deserved nothing thanks to an inept display

From our manager and the squad

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:25 pm

alf_resco wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:15 pm
There's something strange going on at BFC. I don't know what but there's something happening that we fans aren't being told.
Weirdly I said similar to my son partway through the 2nd half.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:26 pm

BigGaz wrote:

Do you think he’s aware that he’s probably playing the worst keeper in The Premier League game after game,surely he isn’t so stupid,or are there other reasons for buying a League 2 keeper for £15+ million from a team that you’d rather see win than us.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 996 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:32 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm
Agree

Lets have the lads on the pitch that have actually played football regularly at a high level.
Possibly right but the fact we seem to be changing the front lads on a weekly basis suggests a scattergun approach to selection rather than strategic planning.

Foster missing was a big blow but the slapdash play in our own half of the field and the way we so easily turn the ball over is a constant this season.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:33 pm

I said on here at the end ot last season we needed to sign two strong Viera-type midfielders to compete in the PL, plus with Barnes leaving and Jayrod past it, we needed to sign two PL ready strikers to compliment Foster. What did we do, we signed quite a few light weight wingers when we didn't need them. We are light weight and naive all over the pitch: I would like to know who was actually responsible for our summer recruitment, because they f.cked up totally.
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Exsus
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Exsus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:05 pm
Deservedly beaten but robbed.

I am never convinced about the offside lines at the best of times. It seemed obvious from TV replays that the guy on the far side was playing Jay on, based on the cut of the pitch. Just as ai’m not convinced about the timing of the pass freeze frame. 6 inches is within the margin of technical error for me.

But then to take 5 minutes over it, which kills our momentum, is a farce and wrong. Should be a new rule - if offside cannot be proven in 60 seconds it is a goal.
I think this is an interesting point, the moment at which the Pass is made is never contested , and isn't the benefit of the doubt given to the attacking team in these situations ?

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 125 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:37 pm

To me, the players look over coached. They're looking round when in and out of possession to see where they should and shouldn't be, instead of having any kind of natural flow. Its not the scanning that you see the top players doing, trying to find space, its litrally as though they are chess pieces and are limited as to where they can ho on the pitch.
That shows with the constant passing backwards, it's passing just for the sake of it with no real intention of pulling opposition out of shape as we did so frequently last season. Not once was there a driving run from deep, or an attempt to take a man on. Koleosho did it a couple of times but his final ball was sadly lacking, as ever.

I'm one of Zarourys biggest fans but he seemed frightened to death of keeping the ball and trying something. He had Aaron's pants down every time he faced him up last season, but this time looked panicked as if he was going to get shouted at for using his skill.

As for VAR, we'll, I'm rapidly losing interest in top level football altogether, this being the main factor. I used to love a super Sunday, now I think I'd rather watch endless episode of Emmerdale that the missus puts on...

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:44 pm

I said in here, a good few weeks before the season started, that VK had a very poor transfer window, that the defence was weaker than last season, that the defence was the weakest we had ever had in the Premier League and that we were weaker in depth at number 9 and also, that we had less pace, touch and control in attack than last season with the loss of Tella and every single one of you called me a clown :lol:

None of this is a surprise to me!... It was obvious weeks before the first game :roll: .....

I also said last season that there were red flags from VK, with Mr Tinker-Man leaving the best and in-form players on the bench, only for him to bring on the better players to rescue the game in the 2nd half!... This happened at least 4 or 5 times... History is repeating, except, we don't have the players on the bench to make an impact this season, especially with the formation he's stubbornly sticking to this season!

ervi34
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by ervi34 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:44 pm

The worst moment of the whole game for me was around 70th minute. We have just won a free kick near the center of the pitch. Instead of crossing we decided to play it short, than play it to AAD who then played it to Trafford who then kicked it in the stands. Just shows how clueless we are when going forward.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:50 pm

I think it was very clear today:
These players aren't good enough to play the way VK wants in this league

It's like asking a good club runner to just turn up at the Olympics, run the same pace, and not expect to just fall away into the distance.

The recruitment clearly has failed. Of all the new players who started today (Trafford, O'Shae, Koleosho, Amdouni), none of them really did anything of note. I'm a big fan of Amdouni, but today he was anonymous.

Bizarrely we have been OK at times this season. Forest away, first halves against Man U and Luton. But we look to be going backwards, and fast. Of course injuries haven't helped, and VAR has cost us at least 2 points, but if we don't turn things around imminently, we could be on less than 10 points by Christmas. Yes, it's only October. But from 10 games so far, we are not good enough, and getting worse...

Grahamjack
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Grahamjack » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:27 pm

There is clearly an agenda that is supporters are not aware of. Our strongest team is not because my selected week after week. VK is putting himself into an unsustainable position unless the owners are in agreement.

Young high quality footballers go down in value if they are not performing!!!

The goalkeeping situation is really now passed the point of discussion. Age experience etc were opinions at the beginning but now actual ability has been seen for everyone.

Other decisions around our midfield are equally challenging.

The time taken to select CT was mind numbing. Injuries clearly are affecting our defensive selections.

Jack Cork is experienced but some would say too old. However any clear minded individual can see his ability is needed.

Upfront, if Foster is injured we only have one choice.
Yes he too is old but he is a striker. Starting with the team we did basically gave the game to a very poor Bournemouth.

Last season was amazing but my question is was it VK or was it luck??? How many teams ever transform like we did?? Luck or a great manager???

Having seen this year I know my I choose……

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6914 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:42 am

Just reading the Bournemouth forum and a lot ofbtheir fans are spot on about our shortcomings in defence including the keeper. Until the transfer window opens and we get some new taller aggressive players in we will struggle to get out of the bottom 3.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:20 pm

California Colner wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:17 pm
We look very slow
Brentford and Bournemouth never let us settle on the ball
Always put us under pressure
Deservedly lost both these games
I agree with this:

Is there something in it with this early preseason?

Something else thats looking very silly now