Kompany: time to go

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Kompany: time to go

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:24 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:10 am
Apart from Foster we are weak in every single position it's championship at best, the tactics from Kompany are amateurish trying by insisting we pass out all the time and loosing the press game after game, our midfield is terrible and most of the goal's we conced are carbon copy's we give the ball away the counter attack happens and within two to three passes it's in our net, Kompany is learning nothing week in week out.

I'm now dreading Arsenal it could end up 7 or 8 nil

Not playing Benson, Zaroury and not signing Tella has taken so much attack and goals out of our team, signing no defenders and cm is killing us
Benson been injured. Zaroury been injured or suspended. When he’s played he’s not done very well. Tella they wanted £20m and who knows if he’d have done any better?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:43 am
What a ridiculous post. It’s not unrealistic for fans to expect to get something from sides like Bournemouth.
Posters have gone from saying we shouldn’t expect anything against United and city - to Bournemouth.

Project lower expectations is in full motion

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:29 am

Thing is with Tella. Had he been our player and we sold him this summer for £20m people would be going ******* bonkers about it. To not buy him was ridiculous.

Rewinding to the first PL season with Dyche. We had Vokes out injured, had we sold Ings for £20m and went into the season without those 2 upfront after scoring so many would have been just plain stupid and we’d be questioning the manager and board. That’s exactly where we are. Benson/Tella 30 goals between them (or there abouts) and neither are playing.
This user liked this post: spt_claret

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1158 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:31 am

taio wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:20 am
We signed defenders but unfortunately ones that aren't good enough.
That's what I meant and for an ex world class defender Kompanys signings and set up in defence is clueless, we and Kompany must of all known we got away with it in the championship and that deference wouldn't cut in in the Premier league yet the poor defensive signings no ball winning midfielders no leader's and the obsession with wingers is mind boggling

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:32 am

Dyched wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:29 am
Thing is with Tella. Had he been our player and we sold him this summer for £20m people would be going ******* bonkers about it. To not buy him was ridiculous.

Rewinding to the first PL season with Dyche. We had Vokes out injured, had we sold Ings for £20m and went into the season without those 2 upfront after scoring so many would have been just plain stupid and we’d be questioning the manager and board. That’s exactly where we are. Benson/Tella 30 goals between them (or there abouts) and neither are playing.
I do agree regarding Benson (unfortunately he’s injured) but we have effectively played every game without a proper right winger. Strange to say given we have about 8 left wingers

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am

I think if he had signed a couple of ratters to get stuck in in midfield and a decent left back we would have been ok, but we have no spine in the team,and on Wednesday I can see SD going out of character and playing his best team against us and with our pigmies in midfield we’ll get a
tonking which will leave VK in the same position next weekend and I think for the first time since he arrived they’ll be a reaction from the crowd if we’re as inept as the last three performances ,
and that could be the start of the end for VK (not that I want it to be) as I can’t imagine that the
US investors will want to be associated with such a poor set of results.
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 am
Posters have gone from saying we shouldn’t expect anything against United and city - to Bournemouth.

Project lower expectations is in full motion
Who? Who's seriously said we shouldn't expect anything against Bournemouth? Who?

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:34 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:24 am
Benson been injured. Zaroury been injured or suspended. When he’s played he’s not done very well. Tella they wanted £20m and who knows if he’d have done any better?
There is plenty of player's not doing very well and don't seem to be playing because of that, then there's Trafford

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:40 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:32 am
I do agree regarding Benson (unfortunately he’s injured) but we have effectively played every game without a proper right winger. Strange to say given we have about 8 left wingers
But when he wasn’t, he wasn’t getting enough minutes. We can look back on last season with joy etc and think we played outstanding every game but the truth really is we didn’t. We didn’t create enough at times and up stepped Benson on far too many occasions to get us the points when games were drifting away.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 am

taio wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am
Who? Who's seriously said we shouldn't expect anything against Bournemouth? Who?
Go up the page

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:44 am

beddie wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:16 am
I’m 100% behind VK. It’s a tough learning kerb for him but we all knew it wouldn’t be easy this season, I’d rather we stick with him. If we go down so be it, we then go again. I just hope Pace and the Board have patience.
100% agree with keeping Kompany, we are unfortunately already in my eyes going to be relegated this season but he will learn from this.

Apart from Foster who will be sold in the summer this team will rip up the championship next season and with another year together they will come back better prepared. Add in some stronger on the ball player's and we go again in the Premier league, unfortunately I believe we went up to quick

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:49 am

It's premature to start calling for Kompany to go. I think he's a good manager who has lots of potential, as do lots of the young players we've brought in, but the tough start has undermined our momentum leading to low confidence and our style not clicking alongside many mistakes (giving the ball away easily etc.), and when that happens you need more experience on and off the pitch. Hopefully VK is seeking guidance from experienced managers and considering starting our more experienced players in a sustained set of games (I'd like to see more Redmond, JRod, Cork) to bring some leadership and solid performances. It's still really early days with lots to play for, and I'd rather we finish the season strong after a poor start than the other way around. Finishing 17th is our target and we're in the mix for that. Come on, lads, we can do it!

TPClaret
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by TPClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:00 am

We showed more fight when Jackson was caretaker manager.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:02 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:09 am
He took out Amdouni and Berge and replaced them with Gudmundsson (who has played that CM role many times under him) and Brownhill.
Yes but the 4 3 3 and Cullen holding which he's not good enough to do alone at this level was still the same. He can change the rest of the personnel however he likes but that system with that single holding player will result in the same defeat week in week out

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 am

Is the project still ahead of schedule?

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:14 am

taio wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am
Anthonini literally said it this morning on this thread.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:15 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:37 pm
I wouldn’t sack him,

For those that are on the fence - when would you sack him?
Neither would I and apart from the money they would get as being the next Burnley manager I doubt they would have any £££ in January to strengthen.
Cant see any manager being able to get these young lads do any better as i cant see how a new manager could get this lot to defend any better.
I know it is a big if; but if we can afford another year in the Championship I think these lads could enter 2025-6 season in this league as a much better team than we see now. If we cant afford to be relegated then Gawd help us-after 10 games we are getting worse not better.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:18 am

Well if we go down and sack Kompany we’ll need a manager who knows how to get out of the Championship. Anyone know anybody that fits the bill?

Madness to sack Kompany. Yes it’s shite at the moment but we need to stick with it, accept whatever happens this season and come back stronger next season.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:19 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:14 am
No he didn't

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:20 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:44 am
100% agree with keeping Kompany, we are unfortunately already in my eyes going to be relegated this season but he will learn from this.

Apart from Foster who will be sold in the summer this team will rip up the championship next season and with another year together they will come back better prepared. Add in some stronger on the ball player's and we go again in the Premier league, unfortunately I believe we went up to quick
This team couldn't rip up a piece of paper never mind the championship.

Benson
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Benson » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:21 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:14 am
Could you quote the post because I can’t find it.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 am
Go up the page
Can't find it. Where/who?

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:44 am

I love how after promotion VK ripped the team apart for no reason yet people think if we go down were all in it together and the squads staying together to 'rip up the championship' they'll be a fire sale and he'll rip the team apart again

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:27 am

bumba wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am
I love how after promotion VK ripped the team apart for no reason yet people think if we go down were all in it together and the squads staying together to 'rip up the championship' they'll be a fire sale and he'll rip the team apart again
Fire sale ???? No player apart from Foster is going to be bought, who is coming in for any other player

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:27 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:27 am
Fire sale ???? No player apart from Foster is going to be bought, who is coming in for any other player
You don't think we'll sell if we go down!? Are you being serious? 😂

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:31 am

The four part MISSION SKY documentary gave me a real insight into Kompany and what he offered the club. Came over as a workaholic, obsessed by detail, research on the next opponents, got the team supporting and passing to each other, everyone knew their job -I could go on. A real change from the previous regime of manager and coaches. It also became clear he had an eye for talent and was brilliant at selling the club to prospective players, particularly overseas ones, who probably had never heard of us. His coaching appeared revolutionary for us-build it up from the back, have the full backs tuck in, score lots of goals without a main striker, and have potent wide men. WE were all starting to believe we had the poor mans version of Pep & Man City, but in a lower league

I never thought the PL was going to be easy but I felt with all that Know-how and flexibility in our play that we would "find a way" to beat some teams

So what the hell has gone wrong. He seems a manager now with fear. He does not know his best team, and is forever tinkering. We are hit by injuries in defence which has cost us but we have several quality players who regularly play well for their countries-Amdouini, Berge in particular but they are in and out of the team often being asked to play in the wrong position. He still continues to play some that are a mistake waiting to happen ie Vitinho. I have no agenda with Trafford, but not having played Muric in any PL game is just stubborness-don't care if he is a trouble maker, the clubs performances must come first. It took him a season to realise Taylor is a FB, not a brilliant one but the only choice we have because of our recruitment .

As I have said on many posts. I want VK to stay but he needs to become the level headed manager we knew last season. I am hoping Bellamy and Jackson are not yes men and are giving him advice in the background. If they agree on all his team selections and tactics then there is real reason to worry. All Burnley want back is their old Vincent Kompany

Dont know what pressure VK is now under but if Alan Pace believes in him , maybe needs to come out and state just that. I remember Forest having had a terrible start in their first PL season, with lots of new players, and the owner came out and offered him an extended contract, and they have never since looked like relegation candidates. Maybe not a contract extension in Vinnie's case but an endorsement from our Chairman, might not only lift him but the whole squad.

Just trying to be positive and realistic
These 2 users liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx Darnhill Claret

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:32 am

bumba wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:27 am
You don't think we'll sell if we go down!? Are you being serious? 😂
I didn't say we won't sell, read what I put because I'm saying "NO ONE WILL BUY ANY OF THESE PLAYER'S" apart from Foster

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:32 am

Even if this current squad wasn’t dismantled, I really could not see it “ ripping up the Championship “ next season, as many posters on here would have us believe. Most of them really do not seem good enough, and they’re all too lightweight.

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:35 am

Warksclaret spot on with your above post
This user liked this post: warksclaret

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 am

Claretitus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:32 am
Even if this current squad wasn’t dismantled, I really could not see it “ ripping up the Championship “ next season, as many posters on here would have us believe. Most of them really do not seem good enough, and they’re all too lightweight.
Nathan Tella, Zaroury and Benson aren't exactly heavyweights but did okay, I think some people have forgotten already how crap the championship is

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:39 am

Dingo wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:49 am
It's premature to start calling for Kompany to go. I think he's a good manager who has lots of potential, as do lots of the young players we've brought in, but the tough start has undermined our momentum leading to low confidence and our style not clicking alongside many mistakes (giving the ball away easily etc.), and when that happens you need more experience on and off the pitch. Hopefully VK is seeking guidance from experienced managers and considering starting our more experienced players in a sustained set of games (I'd like to see more Redmond, JRod, Cork) to bring some leadership and solid performances. It's still really early days with lots to play for, and I'd rather we finish the season strong after a poor start than the other way around. Finishing 17th is our target and we're in the mix for that. Come on, lads, we can do it!
I agree 100% on VK utilising our experienced players but this is only one of several issues that needs to be resolved. Nobody wants VK to get the sack but he currently looks completely out of his depth. We were dominated by a Bournemouth team that have been utterly abject all season. We took the lead in their backyard and still ended up second best. There was no reaction from us after scoring, no reaction after they equalised and no reaction after they took the lead. We didn't look like we were going to control the game at any point and that's because we're so disjointed.

All Bournemouth needed to do was squeeze the pitch. They didn't need to press with intensity as they knew we'd just keep giving them the ball back. We didn't look to turn their back 4 all afternoon... ironically until the Jay goal. Semenyo said is his post match interview that they spoke about Trafford being off his line in their meeting beforehand. So they knew that lobbing him from the half way line was an option. That's unbelievable and unforgivable. We must be the easiest team to play against in the league. Not only do we assist opposition goals every week, we set up so open that they know they can take pot shots from 50 yards out. It's staggering how poor we are, absolutely staggering.

The only way forward is to set up with the same backbone every week and try to play to our strengths. If we can't play out from the back without Beyer and Ekdal then stop doing it. Stop putting Trafford and the back 4 under unnecessary pressure and utilise the pace we have up front by playing a mixed style. There's no shame in going long. It worked for Leicester when they have Mahrez and Vardy!!

We simply cannot chop and change as we are doing. We seem to have a different CB pairing, a different CM pairing and different wingers every week. No wonder everyone looks lost. VK needs to pin his colours to the mast and stick with the basis of a team. Trafford, for all his failings, isn't at fault. I think Muric is better but would he be better in this set up - unlikely. There can't be an understanding between him and his back 4 as it's never the same two games in a row. That said I think its time to change the GK, if only to take Trafford out of the firing line.

I've no idea what our strongest line up is, but given current options I'd look to use all the PL experience we can and set up a back 4 to simply defend.

Muric
Roberts O'Shea AAD Taylor
Cork Cullen
Redmond Brownhill Koleosho
Foster
This user liked this post: Dingo

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:43 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 am
You don't half come out with some BS. You make stuff up all the time, so it will fit in with whatever you're relentlessly banging on about at any given moment. Likewise, you were no different under Dyche, and you'll remain the same long after VK has left. Posting on here for umpteen hours every single day, while continuously making stuff up in order to feed your overwhelming desire to be noticed. What a sad life.

Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Les Lawrence » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am

Think Vinny needs to talk nicely to pep and get a deal forKalvin Phillips on loan in Jan,and any experienced centre half who's available .
This user liked this post: warksclaret

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:32 am
I didn't say we won't sell, read what I put because I'm saying "NO ONE WILL BUY ANY OF THESE PLAYER'S" apart from Foster
If no club will buy our players how will we sell them?

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:53 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am
Think Vinny needs to talk nicely to pep and get a deal forKalvin Phillips on loan in Jan,and any experienced centre half who's available .
While he’s got him on the line maybe Pep will apologise for ripping us off with Trafford.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:57 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:43 am
You don't half come out with some BS. You make stuff up all the time, so it will fit in with whatever you're relentlessly banging on about at any given moment. Likewise, you were no different under Dyche, and you'll remain the same long after VK has left. Posting on here for umpteen hours every single day, while continuously making stuff up in order to feed your overwhelming desire to be noticed. What a sad life.
‘The mere fact we stayed in the game and deserved a draw is a good thing.

Start getting realistic instead of expecting us to win or dominate against these teams. Financially only Luton and Sheffield have a weaker squad than us.’

What does this mean if not we should expect a result against Bournemouth?

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:05 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am
If we are cut adrift or still playing this clueless football we won’t be able to attract players in January, even on loan.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:31 am
The four part MISSION SKY documentary gave me a real insight into Kompany and what he offered the club. Came over as a workaholic, obsessed by detail, research on the next opponents, got the team supporting and passing to each other, everyone knew their job -I could go on. A real change from the previous regime of manager and coaches. It also became clear he had an eye for talent and was brilliant at selling the club to prospective players, particularly overseas ones, who probably had never heard of us. His coaching appeared revolutionary for us-build it up from the back, have the full backs tuck in, score lots of goals without a main striker, and have potent wide men. WE were all starting to believe we had the poor mans version of Pep & Man City, but in a lower league

I never thought the PL was going to be easy but I felt with all that Know-how and flexibility in our play that we would "find a way" to beat some teams

So what the hell has gone wrong. He seems a manager now with fear. He does not know his best team, and is forever tinkering. We are hit by injuries in defence which has cost us but we have several quality players who regularly play well for their countries-Amdouini, Berge in particular but they are in and out of the team often being asked to play in the wrong position. He still continues to play some that are a mistake waiting to happen ie Vitinho. I have no agenda with Trafford, but not having played Muric in any PL game is just stubborness-don't care if he is a trouble maker, the clubs performances must come first. It took him a season to realise Taylor is a FB, not a brilliant one but the only choice we have because of our recruitment .

As I have said on many posts. I want VK to stay but he needs to become the level headed manager we knew last season. I am hoping Bellamy and Jackson are not yes men and are giving him advice in the background. If they agree on all his team selections and tactics then there is real reason to worry. All Burnley want back is their old Vincent Kompany

Dont know what pressure VK is now under but if Alan Pace believes in him , maybe needs to come out and state just that. I remember Forest having had a terrible start in their first PL season, with lots of new players, and the owner came out and offered him an extended contract, and they have never since looked like relegation candidates. Maybe not a contract extension in Vinnie's case but an endorsement from our Chairman, might not only lift him but the whole squad.

Just trying to be positive and realistic
Regarding your point on being a poor man's Man City - I think there's a lot in this.
Pep built a system over several years and the players know it like the back of their hand. They buy two or three players a year who are usually eased in slowly to get familiar with it (Haaland being an exception)
They can make five personnel changes for matches and not miss a beat.

We've bought what, about 15 new players? We can't afford to buy great players in their prime like City so we've bought lots of young players with potential.

It's too much change and we're simply not good enough to change the line up so radically every single week.

Comparisons with last seasons Forest are quite apt also though I suspect Cooper had a lot less say in it than Kompany and would have preferred a smaller squad.

We keep hearing trust the process / system and that it won't be changed but we've seen nothing to show it works (at this level)

If Kompany is so intelligent he needs to learn the importance of adapting.

On sacking him, I personally wouldn't but we (obviously) need to get better and quickly. Without that there is no argument to "give him another season in the Championship"

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 am

Please don't treat me like an idiot, Newcastle. No way does that post back up the BS you wrote about posters not expecting anything against Bournemouth. In fact, your attempt to give yourself a smidgeon of credibly here looks even more pitiful than your usual output.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:13 am

It's not that we shouldn't try to win or draw against Bournemouth. But if you look at their players... They got about 11 worth around 20m. Our best 11 is worth about 5 million less per player.

So either way you try to put it. They are a better team for now.

That being said I don't think they will still be better at the end of the season. For now it's the hard reality that even though we've spent a big sum this summer, it's still not quite enough to immediately start beating mid-midlow teams.

But of course with hard work and a on a good day we can and will beat better teams.

Got to stay realistic and realise we still have steps to make if we want to really achieve something in this league. Of course teams like Bournemouth are to beat if we are looking up.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:14 am

Some posters are becoming more resourceful with finding excuses for sure, for weeks all we heard when we was getting walloped from the elite sides just wait until we play the teams in our mini league & you will see, well some of us have patiently waited & we are still getting walloped.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:16 am

Neil wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 am
Regarding your point on being a poor man's Man City - I think there's a lot in this.
Pep built a system over several years and the players know it like the back of their hand. They buy two or three players a year who are usually eased in slowly to get familiar with it (Haaland being an exception)
They can make five personnel changes for matches and not miss a beat.

We've bought what, about 15 new players? We can't afford to buy great players in their prime like City so we've bought lots of young players with potential.

It's too much change and we're simply not good enough to change the line up so radically every single week.

Comparisons with last seasons Forest are quite apt also though I suspect Cooper had a lot less say in it than Kompany and would have preferred a smaller squad.

We keep hearing trust the process / system and that it won't be changed but we've seen nothing to show it works (at this level)

If Kompany is so intelligent he needs to learn the importance of adapting.

On sacking him, I personally wouldn't but we (obviously) need to get better and quickly. Without that there is no argument to "give him another season in the Championship"
The one thing Forest did under Cooper was completely change the way they played as he realised it wasn't working and they were certainties for the drop.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:16 am

Anthonini wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:13 am
It's not that we shouldn't try to win or draw against Bournemouth. But if you look at their players... They got about 11 worth around 20m. Our best 11 is worth about 5 million less per player.

So either way you try to put it. They are a better team for now.

That being said I don't think they will still be better at the end of the season. For now it's the hard reality that even though we've spent a big sum this summer, it's still not quite enough to immediately start beating mid-midlow teams.

But of course with hard work and a on a good day we can and will beat better teams.

Got to stay realistic and realise we still have steps to make if we want to really achieve something in this league. Of course teams like Bournemouth are to beat if we are looking up.
Maybe they should start playing the league on paper and whoever has spent the most money wins the fixture?

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:57 am
‘The mere fact we stayed in the game and deserved a draw is a good thing.

Start getting realistic instead of expecting us to win or dominate against these teams. Financially only Luton and Sheffield have a weaker squad than us.’

What does this mean if not we should expect a result against Bournemouth?
What game were you watching? we were dreadful and the no-goal from Rodriguez that VK moaned about was just papering over the cracks.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am
What game were you watching? we were dreadful and the no-goal from Rodriguez that VK moaned about was just papering over the cracks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:18 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am
Dreadful? We weren’t that good!
This user liked this post: Carwin261

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2922 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:19 am

Don't want him to go, but he has to find a way to make us competitive because as it stands, we aren't.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2570 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:19 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:16 am
The one thing Forest did under Cooper was completely change the way they played as he realised it wasn't working and they were certainties for the drop.
Spot on.

Cooper kept faith in his old system for around 10 games or so. When he realised every game was groundhog day, he changed it to a much 'uglier' system but it worked and they ground out results.

If VK can't or won't do the same, it's time up.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:21 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 am
Please don't treat me like an idiot, Newcastle. No way does that post back up the BS you wrote about posters not expecting anything against Bournemouth. In fact, your attempt to give yourself a smidgeon of credibly here looks even more pitiful than your usual output.
My post was in direct reply to that quote.

Why don’t you just read before ripping into posters.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:26 am

I think for most people, certainly myself, it’s not the fact that we didn’t beat Bournemouth. Every game at this level will be tough and there will be a lot of tight games that we come out on the wrong side of. The concern is that we simply couldn’t compete against a team that we will most likely need to finish above to survive. I can take a defeat, but that performance was totally unacceptable and miles away from anything that will earn us points.

The other disappointment is our complete lack of identity. I would much rather have watched last season’s team play with the same style and character and lose games than watch whatever it is we’re trying to do now.

I started a thread after the game titled ‘maximum effort is the minimum requirement’, it didn’t exactly go viral. But the other point, which may not be a popular one, is that the players aren’t giving 100%. There’s no way that the players are leaving everything on the pitch and fighting for each other. That is extremely worrying and will ultimately fall on Vinny, who also looked forlorn and a beaten man on the sideline. During one of the stoppages in play I would have expected him to call the team over for a ‘time out’ - we saw this a lot of times last season. But instead we just sleep walked into defeat.
This user liked this post: burnleymik