Judging after Brentford and Bournemouth

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Judging after Brentford and Bournemouth

Post by bumba » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:31 pm

All the happy clappers said it, judge after these two games....
Both games played, two terrible performances, two diabolical results, players not ready still playing.
Enlighten me to what's going to change?
These 2 users liked this post: CHEWBACCA Rumpelstiltskin

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Re: Judging after Brentford and Bournemouth

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 pm

Who are all the happy clappers and when did they all post this?

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:40 pm

To be fair I think they said they’d judge after Brentford, Bournemouth and Palace so it will be next week when they all hold their hands up and just admit we are junk.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:43 pm

Them two performances were arguably our worst in the premier league.

Truly nothing positive about either game

bobinho
Been Liked: 4107 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Bet you couldnt wait could you….

Folk absolutely BURSTING to say “told you so…”

Amazing the little leeway that’s being allowed for VK. It’s almost Laws-esque in its fury….

There’s another thread asking “what was your low point?”…. Well, being on here after these ten games is mine. The vitriol spouted by some of the bedwetters on here is staggering.
These 6 users liked this post: Bosscat Leisure Darnhill Claret Holtyclaret AfloatinClaret Foshiznik

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:47 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Amazing the little leeway that’s being allowed for VK. It’s almost Laws-esque in its fury….

There’s another thread asking “what was your low point?”…. Well, being on here after these ten games is mine. The vitriol spouted by some of the bedwetters on here is staggering.
Wheres Spamhaus when we really need it 😉

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:04 pm

bobinho wrote:

No one cares if we’re not good enough,but what we do expect is all the players to put a shift in,either Kompany’s not cracking the whip ,or we’ve a set of spineless players who are sulking after getting a few home truths ,whichever way you put it if you were a neutral fan watching the last 2 games you’d probably be thinking that the players aren’t playing for VK.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:09 pm

We aren’t changing. Kompany and Bellamy have said so. So there will be more of the same. Today was not a surprising result and performance.The only surprise is the score line wasn’t wider.

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:12 pm

bobinho wrote:

I wish I never had to start the thread but I could have 'i told you so' 6 weeks ago, nobody cares if we go down fighting, nobody cares if we lose because we simply aren't good enough but when the manager is setting them up to lose every single game then questions have to be asked.
I'd love VK to be here in 10 years because it means he's been a bloody good manager but good managers adapt, sticking to a losing formula isn't sticking to what they believe in it's actually called a one trick pony
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:16 pm

We seem to be slow at closing down players, when we get the ball players are instantly being harassed therefore giving the ball away. We can’t stroll around like world beaters when we are not.

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:18 pm

bobinho wrote:

Did you attend the game today ?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:30 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:04 pm
No one cares if we’re not good enough,but what we do expect is all the players to put a shift in,either Kompany’s not cracking the whip ,or we’ve a set of spineless players who are sulking after getting a few home truths ,whichever way you put it if you were a neutral fan watching the last 2 games you’d probably be thinking that the players aren’t playing for VK.
Said the same today towards the end of the game with regards to players not playing for VK. Certainly in the past I've witnessed similar performances from Burnley teams where there appears to be little or no 'heart and desire' and I thought that was very evident after they took the lead today. Very poor and controversial decision went against us again today but the overall performance was abject, dismal and totally unacceptable from far too many players who just shouldn't be playing at this level.
Not surprised to see comments on a number of threads from posters, one in particular, who seem to revel in us not doing well. Like a cowardly sniper waiting for easy prey. Not difficult to pick him out.

Sgt. Pepper
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Sgt. Pepper » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:56 pm

It was always going to be difficult, even more so after we failed to retain the services of some of last season's key players (for whatever reasons), let alone strengthen some key areas.
The lack of a consistent starting eleven doesn't help, and motivating/managing individuals may prove problematic given the ruthless way several of the squad have been moved on or dropped etc.
It's not just one thing, injuries haven't helped, and if performances (not just results) had been better it might feel a lot different, but confidence looks in short supply.
It's early to say, but it has the feel of a very difficult season ahead.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:58 pm

well, i've been glass half full but after today I realised my glass has developed a massive ******* leak !
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Grahamjack
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Grahamjack » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:04 pm

There is clearly an agenda that is supporters are not aware of. Our strongest team is not because my selected week after week. VK is putting himself into an unsustainable position unless the owners are in agreement.

Young high quality footballers go down in value if they are not performing!!!

The goalkeeping situation is really now passed the point of discussion. Age experience etc were opinions at the beginning but now actual ability has been seen for everyone.

Other decisions around our midfield are equally challenging.

The time taken to select CT was mind numbing. Injuries clearly are affecting our defensive selections.

Jack Cork is experienced but some would say too old. However any clear minded individual can see his ability is needed.

Upfront, if Foster is injured we only have one choice.
Yes he too is old but he is a striker. Starting with the team we did basically gave the game to a very poor Bournemouth.

Last season was amazing but my question is was it VK or was it luck??? How many teams ever transform like we did?? Luck or a great manager???

Having seen this year I know my choice!

Something needs to change
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 pm

Many said we've had a really tough start with the fixture list, now we have some winnable games ......

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:17 pm

Many people on here was classing Brentford away as a easy match and stunned we were comfortably beaten. Yeah that's the side that won away at Chelsea today 2-0 - get the feeling a high percentage of this board has only been following burnley and football straight after our hiding at sheff utd 12 months ago.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:43 pm
Them two performances were arguably our worst in the premier league.

Truly nothing positive about either game
I'm chuffed for Charlie finally getting on the scoresheet and such a sweet strike.

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:10 pm

kenyon6923 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:17 pm
Many people on here was classing Brentford away as a easy match and stunned we were comfortably beaten. Yeah that's the side that won away at Chelsea today 2-0 - get the feeling a high percentage of this board has only been following burnley and football straight after our hiding at sheff utd 12 months ago.
The worrying thing is Chelsea also stuffed us and Chelsea are not what they were. They are just a top 10 team if lucky

bumba

Post by bumba » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:13 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 pm
Many said we've had a really tough start with the fixture list, now we have some winnable games ......
Has it really been that tough?
United were poor, Chelsea are poor, Forest beatable, beat Luton, Brentford and Bournemouth beatable.
An arguement could be made that only Spurs, City & Newcastle games we couldn't of done any better in.
The rest of our matches we should of been as bare minimum competing but we've failed miserably
These 2 users liked this post: Pickles AGENT_CLARET

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:04 pm

A win next week is possible and that would lift the gloom, lift the fans and lift the team. We have good injured players on the way back to fitness and we have home games still to come that can be very winnable. Hoping!!!

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:19 am

After the City game VK said the consolation was that we had just given the worst performance of the season How wrong can you get !

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:23 am

Just watched MOTD for once it's a cringy interview with him

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:14 am

Aclaret wrote:
We aren’t very good right now and might get relegated, I could have told you we might get relegated before a ball was kicked though. Newly promoted sides typically struggle, it’s no coincidence the bottom 3 are all newly promoted teams.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:23 am

Aclaret wrote:
Currently I can't see us getting more than Derby's points total

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:19 am
After the City game VK said the consolation was that we had just given the worst performance of the season How wrong can you get !
We seem to be getting worst each week

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am
We seem to be getting worst each week
We are getting worse each week, and the demise and lack of confidence throughout the side is alarming. It was only a few weeks ago we played well at Forest and were robbed by VAR. I know we have lost Beyer since but if we carry on like this we will get more humpings than a Hamburg prostitute.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET longsidepies

Casper2

Post by Casper2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:41 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:14 am
We aren’t very good right now and might get relegated, I could have told you we might get relegated before a ball was kicked though. Newly promoted sides typically struggle, it’s no coincidence the bottom 3 are all newly promoted teams.
A newly promoted team who spent over 90 million, the others didn’t.

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 am
We are getting worse each week, and the demise and lack of confidence throughout the side is alarming. It was only a few weeks ago we played well at Forest and were robbed by VAR. I know we have lost Beyer since but if we carry on like this we will get more humpings than a Hamburg prostitute.
That Derby team that went down with a record low points total had six points after the first ten games, we've got four :shock:
This user liked this post: Jamesy

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:48 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 am
No. We are just doing similsr things each eeek. Last 2 games both opposition managers did their homework on how to counter our approach. Are you telling me that Blournemouth aggressively press every team?

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:50 am

The championship last season was the weakest I’ve seen in a long time. And the gap between it and premier league is huge.
Buying loads of young players with potiental is fine in a business sense
But without premier league experience these are the type performances and results you get.
Kompany won’t change his tactics so buckle up it will be a long season my friends.
These 2 users liked this post: Jamesy AGENT_CLARET

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:55 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am
That Derby team that went down with a record low points total had six points after the first ten games, we've got four :shock:
That’s a sobering thought. There isn’t much VK can do with the defence at the moment with Beyer and Ekdal out. However he needs older more experienced players in midfield to try and shore things up and give the younger players a bit of confidence. The Everton game is ideal for trying it. Get Cork and Redmond in for this match, play 5 in midfield and Jay as lone striker.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:06 am

As others have mentioned, we do appear to be getting worse. Luton on the other hand appear, to me, to be getting harder to beat. They are learning, we aren't.
As can be seen yesterday, loss of confidence leads to silly mistakes.
I do feel yesterday's result may have been different with Foster in the team, but we can't rely on one player to make a difference.
Kompany now has to earn his money, shore up a weak midfield and defence, leave out the young lads and let them learn later.
A nil nil will work wonders.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:06 am
As others have mentioned, we do appear to be getting worse. Luton on the other hand appear, to me, to be getting harder to beat. They are learning, we aren't.
As can be seen yesterday, loss of confidence leads to silly mistakes.
I do feel yesterday's result may have been different with Foster in the team, but we can't rely on one player to make a difference.
Kompany now has to earn his money, shore up a weak midfield and defence, leave out the young lads and let them learn later.
A nil nil will work wonders.
You have nailed it.

A couple of clean sheets and confidence will come back

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:23 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am
On the other hand, Forest had 5 points after the first 10 last season and stayed up comfortably. And Wolves became the first side bottom at Christmas (on just 14 points) to stay up (also comfortably).

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:41 am

Yes. It's not over yet and we have time to turn this round d. We need some steady heads for the next few games though - currently the side struggles to react well under a bit of pressure.

Cork and Jay aren't the answers long term (ie for more than 3 or 4 or 5 games) as they don't have the pace to make us really competitive but they and probably Redmond could help steady the ship.

Looks like JGB did ok yesterday as well from ratings so I would be looking at bringing those players in - with Berge who looks decent enough going forward to help the younger players bed in more then look to bring them back in slowly.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:28 am

Still a long way to go. No team in the bottom 4 is going to open up a big gap.

There is always a team that has a run out and a team that drops back into it.

Some injuries for us but he.need to settle on a right back. Get JRB on the right wing (experience), try to get Foster to play a few games on the bounce. Get Benson fit as an impact sub.

Get Beyer/Ekdal fit.

And most importantly get the ball forward faster, Pep doesnt plai tikki takka at city anymore thet look for a controlled long diagonal ball.

Only Muric plays that type of ball.

If we stop giving the ball away in our half we will get draws and wins.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:43 am

What a mess is all I have to say. From hero to Zero. From joy to despair From brilliant to banal. From balanced to lopsided. From top to bottom. How can it change so much from 1 season to the next. Of course it is a massive step up but right now our club looks totally out of its depth as does VK
We never replaced THB Tella and Maatsen which we never recovered from either in quality or the team spirit they were a big part of. We never really gave players like Benson Zaroury or Muric a chance even though their replacements were inadequate. Tella or Amdouni for example ? THB or O’Shea ? and we still only have 1 left back without Maatsen. Muric or Trafford ?
So many bad decisions. Also so many injuries and of course we are playing against the toughest opponents of all who we did not encounter last season. VAR and PL bias
We can still survive but it’s big odds against us especially after the last 2 games. Sorry for all the negativity but it has to be faced before we can improve UTC

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:48 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:23 am
On the other hand, Forest had 5 points after the first 10 last season and stayed up comfortably. And Wolves became the first side bottom at Christmas (on just 14 points) to stay up (also comfortably).
Arnt Forest the only team in prem history to do it though?

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:48 am
Arnt Forest the only team in prem history to do it though?
No we did it as well under Dyche. 1 win 2 draws in our first 10. Finished on 39 points. Perhaps it was the Europe season.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am
No we did it as well in the European season under Dyche. 1 win 2 draws in our first 10.
That’s interesting to know

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:11 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am
No we did it as well under Dyche. 1 win 2 draws in our first 10. Finished on 39 points. Perhaps it was the Europe season.
Two wins and two draws - it looked bad like but it was vastly different than what we’re sitting through right now.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:38 pm

RVclaret wrote:
But Forest completely changed the way they played after those early matches. Are we prepared to change?

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:38 pm
But Forest completely changed the way they played after those early matches. Are we prepared to change?
I’m not sure they did tbh. Just took time to gel.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:48 pm

The Forest example ,while perfectly valid doesn’t fully account for some of the talent they had and they did eventually gel, not forgetting a couple of astute transfer window loans like one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time in Navas .

Our 1 plus this season is that we handled both Luton and Forest reasonably well and should be better than Sheff Utd. Our turning point will come but perhaps a couple of games to go yet . Foster/Beyer/Roberts/Benson/Ekdal all really missed as well so we will get stronger .

Casper2

Post by Casper2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:54 pm

RVclaret wrote:
We haven’t got 5 points

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:57 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wolves improved dramatically after bringing in a new manager. Where is our impetus going to come from?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:08 pm

By far the biggest worry is the physical frailty of so many of the players , its difficult outside of Foster Roberts Taylor and Berge thinking of another who is robust on the ball. We are continually being outmuscled and losing possession too easily. This has already cost us needless goals including yesterday against a poor team from whom we should have been taking something away.
To make matters worse, of the players I have mentioned, both Roberts and Taylor should only be squad members and Berge is not being fitted into the team properly. He is a ball carrying midfield player who creates danger going forward and this is not how he is being used often enough.
It's going to be a long season!

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:19 am

kenyon6923 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:17 pm
Brentford hadn't won at home until they played us

Brentford had taken less points from their previous 5 games than we had

No one I know was classing Brentford an easy match, maybe a winnable match but not an easy match

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:40 am

Teams' form before playing us

Bournemouth D-D-L-L-L-L
Brentford D-D-L-L-D-L