Midfield

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Midfield

Post by brexit » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm

We seem to have a long term problem with our midfield players.
Would I be correct in assuming that cullen/cork/brownhill/massengo are classed as defensive midfielders - shielding the defense?
We have multiple wingers of various talents, but don't seem to be able to a cross into the box - we seem to want to walk it in
Are jbg/berge classed as attacking midfielders?
Does this leave ramsay as our only genuine ball playing central midfielder?
I ask because dycheball suited bypassing the midfield and he understood how to mitigate for the lack of genuine creative midfielder (post defour)
The question i suppose is given what we have got in terms of a team do we change our style of play and go longer or does that still man we end up losing possession but further up the field. Or would some form of counterattacking mentality suit the team?

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Re: Midfield

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:58 pm

brexit wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm
Would I be correct in assuming that cullen/cork/brownhill/massengo are classed as defensive midfielders - shielding the defense?
We have multiple wingers of various talents, but don't seem to be able to a cross into the box - we seem to want to walk it in
I ask because dycheball suited bypassing the midfield and he understood how to mitigate for the lack of genuine creative midfielder (post defour)
The question i suppose is given what we have got in terms of a team do we change our style of play and go longer or does that still man we end up losing possession but further up the field. Or would some form of counterattacking mentality suit the team?
I noticed that Bournemouth Ball did that too on Saturday
We tried to pass out from the back whereas when they took it off us they played, quickly, directly into players that were sat between our midfield and defence.
I noticed on 1 occasion they had 6 players on our back four, two darted past our line of 4 defenders who were all static and didn't react to the line break, cos I assume they all felt like they had their man. the ball wasn't played that time, but our midfield was frequently by passed anyway with a quick ball to a player that was playing in their equivalent position to where zaroury and Koleosho were for us, then all their team burst forward to support the attack.
We we're attempting to play 10 passes to try and get the ball to our wingers, we mostly lost it at best at or before pass 5.
Our forward midfield (JBG?) including wingers were mostly unsupplied
Surely we need (MURIC) to play over the high press to our wide men or to our number 10 to put pressure on the numbers that teams are committing to that press and also play some balls into the CF as we did at Brentford with Foster but we left him Isolated as we did with Amdouni at Bournemoth so get men in and around their defence quickly.
For me it has to be Foster up top (I know he was ill on saturday) or Jay Rod as replacement they're our only 2 real CF's
Berge in behind who has to push up to Foster and win the headers on for him and ideally Koleosho & Brun Larsen either receive some quick ball when they come deep or some balls to chase into the channels & when the ball goes long centrally they should be running towards the corners of the box too for flick ons or balls over the top, Tellaesque.
We've got to mix it up, The opposition managers have noted that we have a set way of playing, that we don't change it game to game, just the Personnel, that we don't adapt mid game, It's a 'Framework' but whereas Dyche's was based on defensive solidity, this is high risk, you need to have the better players to play through a high man for man press, we don't so we have to play over it cos we now don't have the slow ageing Barnes (At prem Level) & Wood, We have youth with pace and energy, we have to play over the press and force it to be abandoned or stretched and then we'll find more time and space to play through, IMO, and breathe...

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Midfield? Do you mean a 3 man midfield, a 5 man midfield, a 2 man midfield? Last season with Beyer and Ekdal plus Muric we could have a back 3 plus the wing backs then pushed forward. That system worked with those players and in the Championship. This season I have yet to fathom our 4 3 3....4 2 3 1 or??

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:17 pm

We don't have a midfield
Certainly not a competitive one for this level with height, pace, strength and ball winning/retention attributes
Therein lies our biggest problem
These 2 users liked this post: Spike Zenwisdom

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:07 pm

Hope the Westwood haters now realise what a good cm player he was for us.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret whiffa

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Adrian Randall .. now he was the midfield maestro

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1801 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:25 pm

Were there Westwood Haters?

I thought that was reserved for Hendrick.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm

brexit wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm
Not much point crossing into the box.......all our players are midgets! :D

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Unknown.jpeg.jpg
Unknown.jpeg.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
What does it matter as long as they are good with the ball. Sign em on.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2079 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:49 am

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:38 pm
Unknown.jpeg.jpgWhat does it matter as long as they are good with the ball. Sign em on.
How far away are they ?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 am

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:07 pm
Hope the Westwood haters now realise what a good cm player he was for us.
But if you dropped Westwood into our current setup he'd look awful as well.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:16 am

We don’t score enough goals from midfield
Cullen 1 goal 52 appearances out muscled most games and that’s experienced players

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:28 am

The system and tactics are exposing the midfield.