any Positives from todays game??

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CryerBFC
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Re: any Positives from todays game??

Post by CryerBFC » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:48 pm

fungus_the_bogeyman wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:40 pm
Palace weren’t crap. We played right into their hands. Got 1-0 up early from another calamity and they could just sit back and soak up as much pressure as they liked because we were never going to score. They were defensively sound and we never threatened them. As easy of a 2-0 away performance as you’ll see.
Ok.

If we took the game to them we could have got something, with key players missing they were one of the weaker teams to come to the turf this year.

We didn’t even come close to getting a result, their back line won’t have any easier game all season.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Crap or not, Palace are a mid table team and we didn’t look out of place, especially after some of the more dramatic members of the board insinuating we were miles off. We’re not, but 0 points is 0 points and VK has to find the solution soon or we’re a goner.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:24 pm

Best performance of the season so far and we still lose at home to a mid to lower half team. Struggling to find any positives in that.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:27 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:49 pm
Crap or not, Palace are a mid table team and we didn’t look out of place, especially after some of the more dramatic members of the board insinuating we were miles off. We’re not, but 0 points is 0 points and VK has to find the solution soon or we’re a goner.
Unfortunately our glaring weaknesses at CB, CM and Striker seem to be beyond a solution with the current squad
Certainly till Jan and I'm not sure VK will have the nous to solve the problems even then

karatekid
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:34 pm

Just seen the interview and Roy Hodgson thinks we will be ok this season.
Last edited by karatekid on Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:35 pm

I stayed until the end to beat the traffic.

I still haven't spent a penny inside Turf Moor this season.

We get a few weeks off having to endure it again.

I got 2 packets of bacon fries in the pub yo accompany my beer, they were very good!

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:15 pm

I actually thought we played alright today. We've just got no goal threat and made two bad defensive mistakes which we were ruthlessly punished for.

Palace did nothing, but in the end they didn't have to. They were just organised and patient. We shot ourselves in the foot and they took all 3 points.

A big improvement on the previous 4 games but still a very frustrating day nonetheless.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:56 pm

Phone signal at the ground was fantastic today

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:15 pm

Loads of positives .

At last we looked like having players who can compete at this level and the physical side of our game improved greatly. There was fight and it finally looked like the players had pride in the shirt.

I thought the support from the fans was good even if it could be improved.

The whole of the first half was played in the Palace half and I don't think Trafford had one save to make all game.

Beyer will have learned a hard lesson today to simply put the ball out of play. He did well to last the game and we certainly looked more solid with him in the side.

There's other positives but they are the first things that came to mind
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:28 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:38 pm
Much better today, though that’s also illustrative of how bad we’ve been. Confidence looks rock bottom but they stuck at it. Deficiencies in the squad have been done to death but there was much more urgency than before.

Still miles to go before we’re good enough, but compare that to some of the performances recently that was an improvement.
Maybe because we were playing against the poorest team we have played at home so far.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:30 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:15 pm

Beyer will have learned a hard lesson today to simply put the ball out of play. He did well to last the game and we certainly looked more solid with him in the side.

Basically this is what was spoken about in the car on the way home ... 👍

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:32 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:08 pm
Stats are good…
This is the most worrying aspect for me because it just demonstrates how easy it is to beat us. We didn’t play badly - along with Forest, probably the best 90mins of the season - but beatable teams like Palace know that they can let us dominate possession safe in the knowledge that we haven’t got much up top and we will gift them a few chances with defensive mistakes. Palace created absolutely nothing today off their own backs - never even got close - yet go home with a 2-0 win.

If we can’t beat a bang average side with 65% possession and 17 attempts at goal to 3, then what hope is there?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:35 pm

Elizabeth wrote:

Beyer will have learned a hard lesson today to simply put the ball out of play.
Not sure - they will be getting it drilled in their heads to play out at all times.

I don't think VK will grill him for that actually.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:38 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:24 pm
Put it this way - I’d love to play that match again with Foster in our team. My God we’re missing him.
But what sort of recruitment leaves us 1/2 a season with only 2 strikers.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:46 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:26 pm
So what?
Shows we created enough chances.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 pm

We’re literally breaking records out here (in a bad way, in case that needed clarifying) and people are replaying to this without a sense of irony.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:24 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:28 pm
Maybe because we were playing against the poorest team we have played at home so far.
Right? Wasn’t talking about just home games.

Claret3495
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Claret3495 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:33 pm

No, we were utterly useless against a poor poor team. We have the ball a lot and created nothing of note. Terrible mistake from Beyer. Dara O'Shea useless, cant defend and passes sideways at best. Berge couldn't be arsed. Brownhill can't put a decent ball in. Koleosho no end product. Amdouni redundant. Property awful stuff, we've no chance.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:01 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:35 pm
Not sure - they will be getting it drilled in their heads to play out at all times.

I don't think VK will grill him for that actually.
It's not stepford wives here you do know.

You know nothing if you think Kompany will not ask Beyer what he would do next time.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:06 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:01 pm
It's not stepford wives here you do know.

You know nothing if you think Kompany will not ask Beyer what he would do next time.
Christ.

Of course Kompany isn't asking Beyer to lose the ball like that.

But our entire ethos is building from the back and looking to play out, so players are conciously and subconciously going to do it when that's what is drilled in to them.

Under stress, you revert to your training - if that's what we're doing on the training field then that is what's going to happen on the pitch.

Obviously VK doesn't instruct them to take a bad touch, hesitate and then get caught in two minds - but he would absolutely have expected Beyer to control that there and pass it back to the keeper.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:14 am

It’s taken me a while to come up with one, however despite breaking several negative records Burnley are still only two points adrift of seventeenth place.

One other is that Darko, Obafemi, Egan-Riley and Benson all turned out for the U21s so Vinny might have a few more options especially in those wide positions. Darko scored the winner.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:52 am

Palace played liked they always do Men behind the ball quick on the counter and then back into defensive shape. We know all this yet set up playing high balls that two of the best cbs gobbled up with ease
Koleosho was lively but why not play Odebert alongside hin
Amoundi played well with minimum support
JBG mom.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:06 am

Plenty of positives after a game we actually were the better team in. If Beyer doesn't do that weird little glitch they would have never gone through. There were moments where we could absolutely dismantle them and regain possession quite easily. The players gave it all they had in them. Good high pressing.

I agree with coolclaret finally a good midfield pair up in Brownhill and Berge. Brownhill played really well. Unlike Cullen he actually manages to distribute the ball a little bit like you would expect from a midfielder at least. Berge is stepping up more and more as a midfield leader. No more gibberish about how he can only perform as a right winger. He's the full package.

And O'Shea who's becoming more and more a reliable rock at defense coming in agressive with those headers from long balls they are forced to play from the back. Some good passing too. Beyer kind of a let down but he should be our best defender if you see their market value. Hope he can pick up his current form.

Koleosho was a real threat. Amdouni looked good. Also Vitinho looking lively and active. Not really doing anything wrong. Starting to prefer Vitinho over Roberts who is a bit slow when you come up against really fast wingers.

Feel like we are learning more about what is our best team. They are doing their job and when they do so we are a dominant side. More defensive stability as well not giving many chances away.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:07 am

We're still gifting goals and ultimately games to teams and they're not ripping us apart to win. Surely we can correct that at some stage.
If we score as we really should have done with about 25 minutes still to play, I think we go on and win and we certainly don't then concede that second goal.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:14 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Loads of positives .

At last we looked like having players who can compete at this level and the physical side of our game improved greatly. There was fight and it finally looked like the players had pride in the shirt.

I thought the support from the fans was good even if it could be improved.

The whole of the first half was played in the Palace half and I don't think Trafford had one save to make all game.

There's other positives but they are the first things that came to mind
The thing what puzzled me is that when ayew took the ball off him & spun away beyers reaction was to run off slowly in the opposite direction not even near any other palace players & cover was there anyway. At least try & get back in there that said he probably needs to get back to full match fitness & wasn't ready to start.